Dangers of a Trump Presidency--Part 7

MsZem

When he took office, Trump fired every U.S. Attorney, including Bharara. This was the first time that any newly sworn-in President had done so.
They were all ordered to submit resignation letters, which (I believe) is the standard approach when a new president wants to appoint someone new US attorneys. Bharara refused and was fired.

Vagabond

They were all ordered to submit resignation letters, which (I believe) is the standard approach when a new president wants to appoint someone new US attorneys. Bharara refused and was fired.
Thanks for the correction.

Even so, it is not standard procedure to accept all resignation letters. Most serving U.S. Attorneys are customarily allowed to complete their two-year terms.

As some may remember, Trump did something similar with U.S. Ambassadors, who are usually allowed some time so that their children, if they have any, can complete the academic year at whatever school they have been attending.

MsZem

Thanks for the correction.

Even so, it is not standard procedure to accept all resignation letters. Most serving U.S. Attorneys are customarily allowed to complete their two-year terms.
Oh, I meant that asking for resignations rather than firing people is standard, not making everyone submit them.

clairecloutier

Anybody who voted Trump in 2016 and has since seen the error of their ways should be welcomed, not mocked (tempting as the latter may be).

In theory, I’m disgusted that anyone would even vote Republican at this point, let alone vote for Trump. Because I agree with @allezfred that Trump’s character was perfectly plain to see in 2016, and that everyone should have been able to see it, and if they didn’t, that’s a problem. (And since then, Republican politicians’ embrace of him shows what they are, too.)

In reality, though— I’m just extremely glad when I hear anyone say that they voted for Trump or Republicans in the past, but will not in the future. I watch every one of the Republican Voters Against Trump videos that comes up on my Twitter. Changing political hearts and minds is not an easy thing to do, so I’ll take the wins. At the end of the day, I’m just happy these people will not vote for Trump again. (Although I will never understand exactly how they could have voted for him in the first place.)

allezfred

#EpidemiologistsNotEconomists
Staff member
The only reason? There are no other possible reasons for voters to have changed their mind?

Look, you and I and many people here knew what he was, but some voters weren't paying as much attention, and/or decided to roll the dice because they weren't happy with their lives. Hillary Clinton did not place all of them in the basket of deplorables, and if some voters now realize that they are not better off than they were four years ago, that's good news for Democrats. If your goal is to defeat Trump, I don't see the point in mocking people who no longer want to vote for him or telling them that their reasons for changing their minds aren't good enough.
If 2016 Trump voters did not know who they were voting for, they should be ashamed in any case. But I doubt they didn’t.

Tony Wheeler

I'm not disagreeing that it was questionable to side with Trump and the signs were all there in 2016, but a lot of small-minded bubble people got wrapped up in this whole idea of 'MAGA' and that their lives would become so much better. And as I've repeated so many times, a big part of that logic was this hatred Trump was spewing towards other communities, building the wall and singling out other races to protect the precious small-town jobs, etc.

Here we are in 2020, he hasn't done much of anything for those 'bubble' people, but they are freely able to spread their racism, discrimination, and hate on the basis that America was in a bad place before Trump and him trying to get rid of some gay rights, trying to ship out all immigrants and build a wall, not doing shit for the Black Lives Matter movement, etc. He's catering to those specific people that are so uneducated that he can do no wrong. You ask why they like him or what he's doing for them and it always goes back to 'Well what is Biden going to do for you?' 'Well what do you think about this?' 'That's all fake news even though the proof is there' because they (usually) have no answer that they are willing to share publicly. See certain posters here that are repeatedly on this 'Well the killings are bad but the bigger issue is looting' and then when they are asked straight-up if they are racist, they can't even hide behind their user names and admit it.

It's ALWAYS 'get out of here', 'we don't want you here', 'go back to [fill in the blank]' when the MAGA-wearers go after anyone else. It's never 'This is what Donald Trump is doing to make the country better', because they, too, know that his talking-points of what he's supposedly done are easily fact-checked as inaccurate. Or even more prevalent is that they don't even know what his platform is.

I mean, even Fox News is getting trashed by Trump and here they are defending everything he does. The 'less testing means less cases' thing that Trump has said at least twice now but apparently it's 'clearly a joke' in their eyes. They've stuck with him and this rhetoric for so long that they are going to continue on it and look damn foolish-- but again, not to the hardcores that see no wrong in Trump.

ETA- it started off as Trump saying CV has slowed down his momentum. Then the official narrative put out by his team last night is that protesters blocked people from getting in the building- didn't happen. Then the TikTokers came out with what they had done, and now today I'm SURE the Trump camp will run with that excuse after blaming just about everything else without knowing shit.

ETA2- Broken record with this, but the Latinos in Miami that spend half of their time yelling at people that they HAVE to speak Spanish if they want to live here and the other half thinking they are white and better than the dark-skinned Latinos are heavily in favor of Trump. And I read the comments every time- it has 100% to do with judging others on their skin tone or the hierarchy of Central/South American countries making them believe by default that they are better than everyone else. Come on.

Last edited:

Tony Wheeler

About 6200 attended the rally. Also, using TikTok and other social media vehicles, together and, users trolled the campaign and registered for a boatload of tickets to the rally deliberately and obviously never showed up. Parscal thought they had 800,000 coming to the rally

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/21/politics/tiktok-trump-tulsa-rally/index.html
See, I mentioned that in my last post and I have no doubt the Trump team is already all over shifting the blame from the protesters to that. But 6200. You said you gave a million. You were even saying to still come later in the day when you realized it wouldn't be full. People STILL didn't come.

But don't worry, everyone that was there assured that 'I know people have died from CV, but we just don't know if it's really there' and that masks weren't going to do anything for this hoax.

sk9tingfan

See, I mentioned that in my last post and I have no doubt the Trump team is already all over shifting the blame from the protesters to that. But 6200. You said you gave a million. You were even saying to still come later in the day when you realized it wouldn't be full. People STILL didn't come.

But don't worry, everyone that was there assured that 'I know people have died from CV, but we just don't know if it's really there' and that masks weren't going to do anything for this hoax.
Sorry, I should have indicated that the arena only housed 6200 people inside. Please read the CNN article for the particulars. I am a lifelong Democrat, hated Trump since the 1980's when I was living in Manhattan where everyone knew what Donald Trump was and have called my local police station complaining when I saw an officer not one foot away from the people he was speaking to not wearing a mask, when it is the law in my state.

Tony Wheeler

Sorry, I should have indicated that the arena only housed 6200 people inside. Please read the CNN article for the particulars. I am a lifelong Democrat, hated Trump since the 1980's when I was living in Manhattan where everyone knew what Donald Trump was and have called my local police station complaining when I saw an officer not one foot away from the people he was speaking to not wearing a mask, when it is the law in my state.
LOL. :lol: I didn't mean 'you' as in you-- I meant adding it to my rant just above yours with his press team and how they are going to spin this now. (I know the ones I have to prepare myself to start arguing with :lol::lol:)

clairecloutier

I've seen some clips of the Trump speech last night ... Seemed worse than usual. Just rambling on about stuff that no one even cares about. With all his usual mannerisms. He is so loathsome. 🤢

Someone has already made a pro-Biden video incorporating Trump's lame remarks last night attempting to explain his staircase issues at West Point. I'm not going to spread it, but it's ... effective.

ETA: A viewpoint on the Project Lincoln ads from ex-Republican Jennifer Rubin. We can assume she knows all those involved:

Last edited:

Tony Wheeler

Trump campaign is saying the numbers are a lie and more than 12,000 people went through metal detectors. But I'm sure the Fire Marshal doesn't know anything. The arena fits 20,000. The entire upper level aside from directly behind Trump was empty. The standing room section was less than half full. Genius math.

Vagabond

Trump campaign is saying the numbers are a lie and more than 12,000 people went through metal detectors. But I'm sure the Fire Marshal doesn't know anything. The arena fits 20,000. The entire upper level aside from directly behind Trump was empty. The standing room section was less than half full. Genius math.
Math, like science and medicine, is just a left-wing konspiracy. Everyone knows this.

ErikWilliam

In theory, I’m disgusted that anyone would even vote Republican at this point, let alone vote for Trump. Because I agree with @allezfred that Trump’s character was perfectly plain to see in 2016, and that everyone should have been able to see it, and if they didn’t, that’s a problem. (And since then, Republican politicians’ embrace of him shows what they are, too.)
I had quite a good idea about Trump in 2016, since my dad was very active in local county politics in the 80s in south Jersey. So, I think what I found most shocking was the character of Republicans that was finally revealed, or total lack of one. This is chaos, bordering on anarchy.

Susan1

Elton John needs to this with Love Lies Bleeding/Funeral for a Friend. If he has, I haven't seen it.

Dobre

Racism is a hateful thing & it is wrapped up in this campaign.
Sexism is a hateful thing & it is wrapped up in this campaign.

I find these things inseparable from it, to the point at which it is emotionally detrimental to my mental health to listen to the president speak. And I have found this to be true since his original campaign.

Yet I have an acquaintance--a rather frazzled & disorganized but generally bubbly & caring educator & older woman in not great health who teaches young kids in a majority Latino community--who felt compelled to post a very supportive pro-Trump facebook post the other day. I put her on snooze because I just . . . cannot. The danger to her life if she goes back to work in the fall is a real thing. I would never mock her. I'm genuinely worried about her. I don't think she'll ignore health advice, but I worry she will go in to work to help the kids.

once_upon

New condo owner
I know it's a minor thing, but why cant a man who is a self reported billionaire and who is supposedly one of the most powerful in the world get a suit that doesnt look like it came off the rack at Walmart? And besides looking like a cheaply made polyester suit is at least one or two sizes too big?

BittyBug

Exemplifying model behavior
I'm pretty sure Trump wears bespoke Brioni suits (several thousand $ each), so they most assuredly aren't polyester, but I suspect he is the reason they are so ill-fitting. If you ever watched "What Not to Wear," one of the things you'd repeatedly have seen is people with a few extra pounds trying to hide it under loose clothing. Stacey and Clinton always stressed that tailored, fitted clothing was always more flattering, but their clients were always skeptical. I'd bet that, as with everything else, Trump thinks he knows best and forces his tailors to make the suits shapeless and loose because he thinks that will hide his girth. Instead he just looks slovenly.

Desperado

I know it's a minor thing, but why cant a man who is a self reported billionaire and who is supposedly one of the most powerful in the world get a suit that doesnt look like it came off the rack at Walmart? And besides looking like a cheaply made polyester suit is at least one or two sizes too big?
A medical person on Twitter once seriously said that it’s to ensure his diapers don’t show. That’s all I think about now whenever I see him.

MacMadame

Staying at home
If you turned off when Trump started speaking, which I did, the only image of a protester they showed was a spindly little woman sitting in an "I Can't Breathe shirt," with at least 10 feet cleared out around her in every direction; a person so obviously unformidable and unthreatening that the cops put her in the front seat of the cop car.
She had a ticket. And then they arrested her for trespassing. Because they are scum. And also snowflakes. (And not the good kind.)

About 6200 attended the rally.
:eek:

Okay, that is way more than I expected. I was figuring about 12,000-ish.

b-man

When he took office, Trump fired every U.S. Attorney, including Bharara. This was the first time that any newly sworn-in President had done so.
There are 93 US Attorneys. AG Sessions fired 46. Apparently some Obama US Attorneys had already resigned, understanding that was the way the game is played.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 15, Guests: 25)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information