Dangers of a Trump Presidency--Part 7

Japanfan

Or when he is no longer president...
I don't dare indulge that thought. It only recently occurred to me that he might actually win the next election.

When he won last time, I had a bottle of champagne at the ready to celebrate Hillary's victory. I don't want to go through such disappointment again.

Last edited:

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I don't dare indulge that thought. It only recently occurred to me that he might actually win the next election.

When he won last time, I had a bought of champagne at the ready to celebrate Hillary's victory. I don't want to go through such disappointment again.
I think a lot of people are treading very carefully after last time. I have a friend who ask me who is going to win. I just say I hope the Democrats do. If Trump was to win again that will be a very dark dark day for the US. And pretty much show how morally bankrupt the country has become.

ballettmaus

It's political theater in this case as it's unlikely this EO will stand as written.
Yeah, I read that, too.

When you said that if he were more competent, he could get a bill passed, those are the moments when I think an outsider might not be all that bad because they're not beholden to the same interests as an insider. I think if Trump were normal, he could've gotten things done. If. ...

On that note, Trump said there's nothing he'd rather do than get rid of his Twitter account. Well, for once, I agree with him.

mag

Trump is a “Karen” :biggrinbo

“If I’m reading this correctly, the EO claims tech platforms are doing something they’re not, in violation of an incorrect interpretation of law, and tasks agencies it can’t task to look into the things that aren’t being done that wouldn’t be wrong,” the legal scholar Tiffany C. Li tweeted.

ErikWilliam

I think a lot of people are treading very carefully after last time. I have a friend who ask me who is going to win. I just say I hope the Democrats do. If Trump was to win again that will be a very dark dark day for the US. And pretty much show how morally bankrupt the country has become.
Truth. But let’s not forget he ran as an ‘unknown ‘ in 2016. His schtick was look at Hillary what do you have to lose? Well, now we see we have to lose decency, integrity, democracy? I’m overwhelmed by the Trump cult. Had to deactivate my FB because I started to despise Trump supporters including my right wing family. Who knew that I’d end up the moral compass of the family? We have a natural gift to see through lies and bullshit. Or not apparently in Trump world. Extremely sad.

Susan1

There he goes again, threatening to use the military against US citizens. https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1266231100780744704

Vagabond

Here is a short summary of What Trump's Executive Order does and why it most likely won't have any meaningful effect:
  1. The executive order is actually a directive to the FCC, instructing them to reconsider their interpretation and enforcement of Section 230. This is all that is within Trump's power, and it means that for this "initiative" to move forward, he needs an assist from FCC chair Ajit Pai. Pai is already on the record as saying that he does not believe current law allows for a different approach to Section 230.

2. Since Section 230 is somewhat broad, and since it's a quarter-century old, its precise meaning has largely been established through a sizable body of case law. That case law is strongly on the side of the media platforms and strongly against Trump's position, even if Pai agrees to play along.

3. On a related note, Trump is pretty clearly trying to create new laws, and to overturn existing court precedent, through executive order. In other words, he's infringing on the prerogatives of the other two branches of government in an overt manner. If and when this gets in front of a court, he's going to get smacked down hard.

4. There is also the matter of the First Amendment. The government is allowed to regulate speech, but only if it serves the public interest. On the other hand, they are most certainly not allowed to regulate speech for political reasons. Again, if and when this gets before a court, lawyers for Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc. are going to point out that their policies were serving the public interest just fine right up until Trump got angry and decided to lash out. That makes the executive order look an awful lot like it's motivated by politics, and not any other concern.

The article also notes that, in fact, the Republican Party generally wants less regulation of Internet providers, and the Democratic Party generally wants more (i.e., consequences for serving as a platform for hate speech).

Dontcha hate the way that automatic numbering continues after the quote? I sure do. :angryfire

CaliSteve

It will be a dark day for the whole world!

canbelto

Its going well:

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
It's amusing to me that someone from the land of (previous Prime Minister in waiting) Barnaby Joyce is going to climb up on the sanctimonious high horse to tell anyone else how morally bankrupt their country has become. Anti-environmental climate denier, proponent of animal abuse for political gain, anti-gay agenda, no trans students in schools, etc. etc. One could put forth that you had your very own Trump-like representation until recently when they finally ousted him for his relationship with a subordinate from his own office. Is that supposed to be a morally superior option compared to Stormy Daniels? Your country also seems to have on-going problems in the areas of institutional racism and gay discrimination among other issues.

If your response to the above is that most people don't go along with any of that, then you can comprehend the point (made here many times previously) that the majority of voters did not vote for Trump in 2016. I'm hoping they won't again in 2020, but your generalization telling us how morally bankrupt we all are does not help those of us trying to fight the good fight. I would not presume to direct the same label your way simply because you have a laughable and ridiculous politician who was somehow able to obtain a high level of leadership.

Aussie Willy

It's amusing to me that someone from the land of (previous Prime Minister in waiting) Barnaby Joyce is going to climb up on the sanctimonious high horse to tell anyone else how morally bankrupt their country has become. Anti-environmental climate denier, proponent of animal abuse for political gain, anti-gay agenda, no trans students in schools, etc. etc. One could put forth that you had your very own Trump-like representation until recently when they finally ousted him for his relationship with a subordinate from his own office. Is that supposed to be a morally superior option compared to Stormy Daniels? Your country also seems to have on-going problems in the areas of institutional racism and gay discrimination among other issues.

If your response to the above is that most people don't go along with any of that, then you can comprehend the point (made here many times previously) that the majority of voters did not vote for Trump in 2016. I'm hoping they won't again in 2020, but your generalization telling us how morally bankrupt we all are does not help those of us trying to fight the good fight. I would not presume to direct the same label your way simply because you have a laughable and ridiculous politician who was somehow able to obtain a high level of leadership.
Haha OMG Barnaby is just a joke and still is. Seriously you have picked out him as an example? But as big a d*ck as Barnaby is, he is nothing compared to Trump. If you really are going to pick out a Trump-like politician you are probably better off looking at Pauline Hanson who is just as racist as Trump. And there are a few others who also are pretty useless including Bob Katter. And I totally agree that we have our own issues with racism and other horrible attitudes. So I don't sit here in Australia without looking at our own problems and thinking that we have the moral high ground on the US. Except we have managed to contain the ***** and keeping it under control. At least our politicians took that seriously.

Also I know that most people didn't vote for Trump. Did I ever say they did? However the risk with non-compulsory voting is people being motivated enough to vote. Trump supporters are incredibly motivated. However I am really hoping that Dem voters rally and that Biden wins and the Dems win the Senate. My generalisation was not also directed at everyone. I have visited the US twice and loved it. And I met a real mixed bag of people when it comes to politics. In fact I could have a more respectful political discussions with many people there which you actually wouldn't get in Australia. But unfortunately the events over the last week have shown how bad things are.

But if I have to explain what I mean by morally bankrupt then I am talking about leadership which then trickles down into certain members of the population. Put it this way. The culture of an organisation usually comes from the top. What sort of culture does the leader of the US create?

caseyedwards

I don’t like the hypocrisy! Australia and their aboriginal stuff, Spain and their love of Franco-continued love of Franco, Vichy French! Blackface trudueau! Etc

Aussie Willy

BTW - maybe want to do you research about the Australian political system before calling me out on my comments about US politics. Barnaby as Deputy PM could actually never be the PM because he is a member of the Nationals which are in coalition with the Liberals who are the majority member of the coalition. It is usually the leader of the Nationals who is the Deputy as a coalition arrangement and they are caretaker PM when the PM goes overseas or is on holidays. But if the PM died or stood down, a Liberal member would take their place.

Also if you want another skary politician to watch in Australia who would seek to be PM try Peter Dutton (who looks like a potato). Not as bad as Trump but not someone I would like to see as PM.

Aussie Willy

I don’t like the hypocrisy! Australia and their aboriginal stuff, Spain and their love of Franco-continued love of Franco, Vichy French! Blackface trudueau! Etc
Totally. It is appalling what happens to the Aboriginal people here. Don't even think that I am not aware of what goes on. My great grandmother was Aboriginal and was given up when her mother couldn't keep her to a German family in South Australia (I have a copy of the handwritten note). If you spoke to my grandmother she would tell you that she was German. And my aunties and uncles never got to meet their grandmother because my grandmother was ashamed that she was aboriginal.

So if anyone is going to start on me about Australian issues, maybe think again. Because I have a direct relationship to the issue and there are a whole host of complications in my family because of it.

ballettmaus

^I don't think we're that lucky.
He probably asked for advice on how to deal with the protests, although, it's hard to tell. That Governors need to dominate the protests sounds like either.

aftershocks

Robert Costa of The Washington Post and Washington Week in Review:

"FULL AUDIO of President Trump’s call today with the nation’s governors, obtained by ⁦
@washingtonpost
A 'must listen.'"

Polaris

Damn, Trump just essentially declared martial law on the country and invoked military to suppress riots. Full out fascism.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 11, Guests: 25)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information