Dangers of a Trump Presidency--Part 7

Simone411

Do stand. Do stand six. Do stand six feet from me.
Please close down twitter! He wouldn't have any way to spread his lies.
Nor could any of his Borg clan spread lies for him if it was shut down. I had a Twitter account for maybe three days back around 2004 or 2005. Then someone emailed me anonymously letting me know that he/she was very aware that I had just opened up a Twitter account.

In other words, the person was letting me know that he/she was keeping up with me. I deleted my Twitter account right away because I realized it was a stalker or a bully. This person was also a coward and too scared to let me know their real identity.

canbelto

So Kayleigh McEnany has voted by mail since 2010.

Louis

Private citizen
I'm not against voting by mail, including as a default, but I think there are large differences in risk between:
1) exception-only voting by mail, by request and/or with a valid reason, and
2) everyone getting a mailed ballot by default

I can understand how someone would view 1) as a tolerable risk, and 2) as an intolerable risk. Not hypocritical, IMO.

MacMadame

Staying at home
Staff member
@Louis #2 has been the case in five states in the use for years and there is no evidence of vote fraud. These states do ALL their voting by mail. There are no polling places. It works.

mag

@Louis #2 has been the case in five states in the use for years and there is no evidence of vote fraud. These states do ALL their voting by mail. There are no polling places. It works.
Not only that, the only verified case of fraud was perpetrated by the Republicans.

The stats show that mail in ballots do not favour one party over the other. This is a case where not listening to the experts and not understanding, well, anything he is told, is actually hurting the GOP. This is a stupid hill to die on for them.

Louis

Private citizen
I don't entirely disagree with you, but these are five relatively small, relatively homogeneous, non-swing states (with the possible exception of Colorado). It's also hard to prove fraud. We have to be generally OK with having no idea who mailed back ballots.

I can see how someone would say there are not enough proof points to go all-out on this in swing states in a presidential election year. Ideally, we'd test more gradually, in non-presidential election years.

Barring more evidence of fraud, I'm inclined to support vote by mail, but I don't think those who are objecting to it are entirely unreasonable either.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I don't even know why anyone needs polling booths these days when it is so easy to do postal voting. I do it here in Australia. Last election 4 million votes were by postal but you had to have a reason. I think next elections you can do it without reason.

But again it is Trump just trying to make out he is the victim and that it is all about him and his re-election.

caseyedwards

You see republicans trying desperately to find democrats criticism of vote by mail and it’s like “look at Oregon“. After Oregon did all vote by mail the republicans won two senate races there!! They should not oppose vote by mail. They should not oppose ballot harvesting. They need to embrace it!! They need to embrace same day registration, and all that. It’s the future. I wasn’t even about early voting as it was official position of NY democrats for years there would be no early voting in NY and never will be but they all changed! They all changed because of many reasons! one reason is that many older black voters all get picked up for church on Sunday’s and then after church in some states with early voting they would vote after church! Bus to church then bus to vote. And then ny democrats were like why have church bus and then Election Day bus? Lol

Last edited:

b-man

There are many articles like the following indicating possible/ likely fraud. Of course, if you get your news from the NYT, you will have zero knowledge of this. States do not want to clean up their voter rolls, keeping many who have moved out of state, who have died, or who haven't voted in years on the active rolls. Allowing late registration makes it more difficult to police. There is no chain of custody for mail in votes. I think in California in 2018, the Republicans were ahead in 4-5 House races on election night, but ballots magically appeared over the next week, and all those Republicans lost. I have zero faith in California elections, and their system is spreading.

ballettmaus

Trump wants to sign an EO regulating how social media companies edit their content. I'm sure his legal team is thrilled (not that I feel sorry for them, they could just quit). https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/22/tech/ftc-fcc-trump-social-media/index.html

Meanwhile, other legal analysts say it would be unprecedented for the FTC to prosecute a company over the way it justifies content moderation.

"The FTC just doesn't sue media companies over their editorial policies," said Berin Szoka, president of the libertarian-leaning think tank TechFreedom. "Second-guessing whether a company is politically 'neutral' would mean substituting a regulator's editorial decisions for a private company's — something the First Amendment forbids."

Thus far, officials from the FCC and FTC have largely refrained from speaking publicly against the draft order. Jessica Rosenworcel, a Democratic commissioner at the FCC, appeared to express shock in response to the draft order earlier this month with a one-word tweet: "What."

Aussie Willy

Trump doesn't get that with free speech also comes responsibility to do the right thing. It amuses me that conservatives think they are being repressed. Yet Trump has been a cheerleader for hatred and racism and spouts ridiculous conspiracy theories. He has been given a free reign for too long and needs to be brought to account.

It would be better if the Republicans took responsibility but they don't care who is in the WH as long as it is their guy. So it has to be others who do it. I just hope they all get their ar$es kicked come November.

b-man

This is confusing as hell. What is the executive order going to do?

I had the same question. Apparently, a communications Act in 1996 gave a lot of freedom and protection to internet sites that were platforms, not publishers. That is, if they merely hosted the posts and thoughts of third parties, they would not be held liable for content they are merely hosting, If a site starts adding its own content, or interfering with the speech of third parties, they would then become a publisher and may lose protections held by sites that are platforms. I suspect an executive order would classify some of these sites as publishers.

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
I am wondering: If Trump makes Twitter a publisher, wouldn't Twitter's best policy be to just delete Trump's account? Otherwise, couldn't they be sued by all the ordinary people and businesses Trump has libelled?

i can only wish...:lol:

Last edited:

caseyedwards

Every tweet would become like letter to editor or editorial and of course no one has any right to have editorial or Lte published

MacMadame

Staying at home
Staff member
I think making social media into publishers would kill social media.

I also am very :rolleyes: at how Trump does everything by EO. In this case, pretty much everyone thinks there is something broken with social media and would like to see improvements. He could totally broker a bipartisan bill. If he was at all competent.

ballettmaus

I think making social media into publishers would kill social media.

I also am very :rolleyes: at how Trump does everything by EO. In this case, pretty much everyone thinks there is something broken with social media and would like to see improvements. He could totally broker a bipartisan bill. If he was at all competent.
He does it by EO because he doesn't care that it's broken. He only cares about retaliating against someone who did something he doesn't like. Laws would only get in the way.

canbelto

He finally articulates why he has a bee in his bonnet about mail in votes:

He fi

Aussie Willy

He does it by EO because he doesn't care that it's broken. He only cares about retaliating against someone who did something he doesn't like. Laws would only get in the way.
Exactly. It is all about attacking people who don't say nice things about him. But if he finds what Twitter have done so objectionable, he could just stop using it like the rest of us would if we were so opposed to the way they were behaving. But he has to throw his morbidly obese weight around to prove how big and strong he is.

FiveRinger

I have another question. Since he's using his personal Twitter account, not his official government account, wouldn't that hold him to the same standards as the rest of us?

And if that's the case with all of the race-baiting, gaslighting, and other crimes he's committed on the platform, would that mandate he be shut down? By right, they could have closed his account before the election. Just curious....

Aussie Willy

I have another question. Since he's using his personal Twitter account, not his official government account, wouldn't that hold him to the same standards as the rest of us?

And if that's the case with all of the race-baiting, gaslighting, and other crimes he's committed on the platform, would that mandate he be shut down? By right, they could have closed his account before the election. Just curious....
Hmmm it should shouldn't it?

ErikWilliam

Exactly. I know people whose accounts have been closed down for saying far less. That is what Twitter should do. End this platform for him to spread his insanity.

MacMadame

Staying at home
Staff member
It's political theater in this case as it's unlikely this EO will stand as written.

But at least some of the other times he does it, it's because he knows that's the only way to get this crap to pass.

By right, they could have closed his account before the election. Just curious....
Twitter already issued a statement about this when Trump first became president. They said they consider what he tweets to be news and so they won't be deleting his tweets or suspending his accounts.

I wonder if they will keep to that once this EO goes into place.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 10, Guests: 17)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information