Dangers of a Trump Presidency--Part 7

ballettmaus

Intelligence officials have asked Congress not to hold public hearings on world wide security threats because they fear it would anger Trump. https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/16/politics/us-intelligence-officials-world-wide-threats-hearing-testimony/index.html

Well, I say, too bad for Trump. (But the request boggles my mind. I'm sure they deal with intelligence from authoritarian regimes every day so they should know how their request echoes what happens there and that their very request is proof that it can happen in the US).

Susan1

I didn't know which thread to put this in. In a comment under a post on FB, there is a banner that says "Every time a Christian defends trump an angel loses its lunch".
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reuven

Official FSU Alte Kacher
Appropos of the thread title. There's a new book out,"A Very Stable Genius" byCarol D. Leonnig and Phillip Rucker. WaPo ran an excerpt wherein in 2017, top brass, SecState Tillerson, and others try to inform Trump about the ways of the world of which he was totally ignorant, clueless, or just plain wrong: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/youre-a-bunch-of-dopes-and-babies-inside-trumps-stunning-tirade-against-generals/2020/01/16/d6dbb8a6-387e-11ea-bb7b-265f4554af6d_story.html
It would be funny, if it weren't so frightening,

Susan1

I didn't know which thread to put this in. In a comment under a post on FB, there is a banner that says "Every time a Christian defends trump an angel loses its lunch".
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
FYI - it's a real bumper sticker!

mag

I don't know if he thought he looks good in this interview, but he actually sounds unbearably smug and in over his head.
Kushner is unbearably smug and, IMHO, not terrible bright. Just like his wife. As my grandmother used to say, “They are not ruining two marriages.” :biggrinbo

caseyedwards

Appropos of the thread title. There's a new book out,"A Very Stable Genius" byCarol D. Leonnig and Phillip Rucker. WaPo ran an excerpt wherein in 2017, top brass, SecState Tillerson, and others try to inform Trump about the ways of the world of which he was totally ignorant, clueless, or just plain wrong: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/youre-a-bunch-of-dopes-and-babies-inside-trumps-stunning-tirade-against-generals/2020/01/16/d6dbb8a6-387e-11ea-bb7b-265f4554af6d_story.html
It would be funny, if it weren't so frightening,
all these Books, fire and fury, fire and fury 2, woodwards, and more it’s always the same thing! all People in trump white house say trump is stupid insane dangerous and unqualified. So 25th amendment says president can be removed if cabinet believes president can’t govern properly. The amendment assumes in black and white the president will oppose cabinets decision. So any thought of president must be a in a coma to be removed is not supported by the text. So why can’t they all agree to do 25th amendment or even talk about It! It’s baffling And bizarre. So you have tillerson, kelly, Mattis all having a vote to remove trump and they don’t do it? Baffling And bizarre. They all agreed trump is stupid insane and dangerous But no 25th amendment removal? That needs to be investigated.

Peaches LaTour

"Here's what does worry me: our country, in its greatness, can absorb one term of its present occupant of the White House, not two. "

Nancy Pelosi, last night, on Bill Maher.

canbelto

@mag one thing about the article that made me laugh was the fact that Kushner takes so many pains to describe how busy he is, from waking up at 5:30 to all the portfolios in his office. Meanwhile the POTUS he serves is known for scheduling huge swaths of "executive time" every day where he watches FoxNews and eats junk food. Relax Jared.

skatemomaz

Resist
I was horrified to learn the National Archived blurred images in a photograph of the Women’s march that contained signs critical of Trump.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/national-archives-exhibit-blurs-images-critical-of-president-trump/2020/01/17/71d8e80c-37e3-11ea-9541-9107303481a4_story.html
They have since apologized and taken down the altered photo, to be replaced with the original.
It is profoundly disturbing to think that the National Archives would take such a step in the first place.

Reuven

Official FSU Alte Kacher
I was horrified to learn the National Archived blurred images in a photograph of the Women’s march that contained signs critical of Trump.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/national-archives-exhibit-blurs-images-critical-of-president-trump/2020/01/17/71d8e80c-37e3-11ea-9541-9107303481a4_story.html
They have since apologized and taken down the altered photo, to be replaced with the original.
It is profoundly disturbing to think that the National Archives would take such a step in the first place.
Now what they need to do is make public the name(s) of the idiot(s) who thought censorship was a good idea and fire their ass(es).

Zemgirl

Now what they need to do is make public the name(s) of the idiot(s) who thought censorship was a good idea and fire their ass(es).
No, they don't. Nobody deserves the kind of shaming that would come from being named publicly in such circumstances. This is a (serious) professional misstep and should be treated as such, but it is not a reason to destroy someone's life, which is what naming names would do.

I appreciate that they took responsibility as an institution rather than pointing to a specific employee. This was an institutional failure, and they need to learn from it.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
No, they don't. Nobody deserves the kind of shaming that would come from being named publicly in such circumstances. This is a (serious) professional misstep and should be treated as such, but it is not a reason to destroy someone's life, which is what naming names would do.

I appreciate that they took responsibility as an institution rather than pointing to a specific employee. This was an institutional failure, and they need to learn from it.
Wonderfully stated.

This situation points to something that has long been a problem which is that there is a strong tendency to try to sanitize the women's movement and remove politics from it. There seems to be a desire to present women's struggle for the vote and for women's equality as somehow apolitical and more of a mom and apple pie kind of thing.

I think there's been a real struggle in the mainstream with regard to the 2017 Women's March in particular about presenting it as what it was: a massive protest against Donald Trump.

caseyedwards

After China did that huge massacre in Tianemen square the Congress and president gave China most favored nation giving it all it wanted in terms of importing things into America. So Trump made the pro china deal?

Bill Clinton reelection campaign got millions from Chinese businessmen to say china doesn't interfere in US is truly insane!! Zakaria may be insane

ballettmaus

This situation points to something that has long been a problem which is that there is a strong tendency to try to sanitize the women's movement and remove politics from it.
Is it that or is it the same kind of motivation that made intelligence officials ask Congress not to hold public hearings on worldwide security? If it's the latter then it is to please Trump and as bad as what you mention is, this would be much much worse.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Is it that or is it the same kind of motivation that made intelligence officials ask Congress not to hold public hearings on worldwide security? If it's the latter then it is to please Trump and as bad as what you mention is, this would be much much worse.
Well I believe they said it was to maintain their "non-partisanship" or to that effect. I don't think it was to "please Trump" but partly a result of the climate for the federal government now with Trump which is a climate of fear. And that's not a good thing.

Spikefan

Well I believe they said it was to maintain their "non-partisanship" or to that effect. I don't think it was to "please Trump" but partly a result of the climate for the federal government now with Trump which is a climate of fear. And that's not a good thing.
Yet they made it political when they blurred it. Their job is to save and present historical artifacts, not alter them.

caseyedwards

I have not yet read a book about Trump, but I think I am going to need to read this one.

Lol at “the President is dangerous insane stupid unqualified ignorant but he might call me a name on Twitter so I can’t do 25th amendment removal”! that’s why after reading 2 books about trump white hiuse i stopped because the people are either too much liars or cowards!!!!!!!!!

ballettmaus

An Iranian student who came to the US with a valid and recently issued student visa was detained at Logan Airport and then deported despite a court order. https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/01/21/metro/iranian-student-removed-us-before-court-hearing-lawyer-says/?s_campaign=bostonglobe:socialflow:facebook&fbclid=IwAR1DwFYdVQyxmBM_BJzqkf5ypqNF_lfRbGKKDe9ZZsB-Apb73Zaq8KTxYak

Hossein Abadi’s lawyers filed an emergency petition to block his removal Monday night, and Judge Allison D. Burroughs ordered a 48-hour stay.
But before that hearing took place, Hossein Abadi was flown to France, one of his lawyers, Susan Church, said Tuesday.

At the scheduled hearing Tuesday morning, Judge Richard Stearns said the case was now moot, since the student was already out of the country.

“There seems to be some history of CBP ignoring district court orders, which should concern the court,” Doyle said during the hearing. She asked that Hossein Abadi be returned to the US, but the judge said there was little he could do now that the student was gone.
“I don’t think they’re going to listen to me," Stearns said.

ballettmaus

Donald Trump dismisses injuries of US military troops, proves (again) there is no bottom
https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/22/politics/donald-trump-iran-attack-headaches/index.html
And the majority are probably still going to vote for him. That's what gets to me. :fragile:

Per Jake Tapper, the WH accredited the antisemtic TruNews.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 4, Guests: 24)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information