Dangers of a Trump Presidency--Part 7

Jenny

From the Bloc
Have the republicans literally stated their goal is to erase Obama's legacy? I know democrats repeat such a thing but somewhere a republican actually said that? I'm dubious.
Obamacare for starters. There was also Christie back when he thought he was going to have a major role saying the first thing a Trump presidency would do is get rid of all the public servants and start over. From there, my impression from the headlines and news stories is that if Obama put it in place, then Trump will take it out, with the full support of Republican representatives.

Now, we have seen that Republicans have occasionally gone rogue, but for the most part, they are not as a whole trying to focus the government on doing rather than undoing.

And:

"Actions speak louder than words".

VGThuy

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/08/01/us/politics/trump-affirmative-action-universities.html?referer=https://amp-usatoday-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/amp.usatoday.com/story/531551001/?amp_js_v=0.1&usqp=mq331AQCCAE=

I am not sure that this deserves a separate thread. But the greater sin is that Affirmative Action laws were ever necessary in the first place.

This is one of the main reasons that Sessions was appointed AG, I would bet.
No doubt about it. Anti-affirmative action forces have been planning this for decades, and have nearly succeeded in appointing the right judges to kill it little-by-little, though surprisingly, it was saved by the SCOTUS. However, they just keep hedging their bets. A lot of people don't really understand how AA works and still think it works by racial quotas or something. Facts don't matter in these fights.

skatesindreams

Slowly; and sometimes not so slowly, all of the progress engendered through the struggles of the Civil Rights Era, is being dismantled, as thinly disguised racism/prejudice/White Supremacy becomes acceptable, again.

What must Dr. King; and so many others, be thinking?

oleada

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/08/01/us/politics/trump-affirmative-action-universities.html?referer=https://amp-usatoday-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/amp.usatoday.com/story/531551001/?amp_js_v=0.1&usqp=mq331AQCCAE=

I am not sure that this deserves a separate thread. But the greater sin is that Affirmative Action laws were ever necessary in the first place.

This is one of the main reasons that Sessions was appointed AG, I would bet.
They're really going after that racist white demographic. Someone tell me again that people voted for Trump due to economic concerns?

Simone411

May the odds be ever in your favor!
Sessions to black Police Group: Trump remarks 'done in jest'

Trump came under scrutiny for comments he made during a speech in Long Island last week about the MS-13 gang.

"When you see these thugs being thrown into the back of a paddywagon, you just see them thrown in, rough, I said, ‘Please don't be too nice," the president said to the crowd of police officers.

“Like when you guys put somebody in the car and you’re protecting their head, you know, the way you put their hand over?” Trump explained. “Like, don’t hit their head and they’ve just killed somebody. Don’t hit their head? I said, ‘You can take the hand away, OK?’”
Well shut my mouth and honey hush! Lord have mercy Mr. Tribble! Are you showing your 'arse' just a wee bit?

Fiero425

Have the republicans literally stated their goal is to erase Obama's legacy? I know democrats repeat such a thing but somewhere a republican actually said that? I'm dubious.
Sorta like when those jerks said, "we will make Obama a one term president?" That was unprecedented too at the time, but McConnell's words will live on in racist/historic infamy! If not bigoted and racists, I don't know what is for those animals on the "right!" Trump is systematically overturning every EO issued by Obama; something else unprecedented! You tell me if they said it or are just showing evidence of it everyday with their actions in changing absolutely everything with the name Obama and Clinton on it! :wall: :kickass: :lynch: :mitchell:

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
And now Trump is supporting two Senators who are introducing legislation to cut LEGAL immigration.

Fiero425

And now Trump is supporting two Senators who are introducing legislation to cut LEGAL immigration.
Some deportees actually voted for Trump! A woman who supposedly was a supporter found her hubby snatched up by INS in a sweep! Even being married didn't help that couple! Idiots! :rolleyes: :lynch: :wall:

MacMadame

My G.O.A.T is better than your G.O.A.T.
Not only are they trying to eliminate affirmative action but they are trying to say transgender people aren't in a protected class.

Civil Rights Uniformity Act of 2017

This bill would ensure that constitutional authority related to civil rights remains in the hands of Congress: No federal civil rights law shall be interpreted to treat gender identity or transgender status as a protected class, unless it expressly designates "gender identity" or "transgender status" as a protected class. This bill prohibits the word "sex" or "gender" from being interpreted to mean "gender identity," and requires "man" or "woman" to be interpreted to refer exclusively to a person's genetic sex, for purposes determining the meaning of federal civil rights laws or related federal administrative agency regulations or guidance. Sponsor: Pete Olson [R-TX-22]

According to Representative Pete Olson, the bill’s sponsor, “The Founding Fathers never intended unelected bureaucrats in federal agencies to make sweeping changes to the definition of gender. While we have a new president in office, we must restore the voice of the people given to them by our Constitution and put an end to this dangerous precedent of removing Congress’ power to make laws.”

**** you, Pete Olson.

oleada

Oh, I've been told so many times about how immigrants who come here legally are okay because they did it the right way*. Of course that has never been true, when those immigrants aren't white.

* unlike the Mexicans who don't speak English who are taking their jobs
** so not Mexicans like me, of course

(I'm not Mexican but I've had variations of this conversation so many times)

Buzz

Some deportees actually voted for Trump! A woman who supposedly was a supporter found her hubby snatched up by INS in a sweep! Even being married didn't help that couple! Idiots! :rolleyes: :lynch: :wall:
A lot of Trump voters pardoned him for some of the nasty things he said because they never expected it to affect them.

Loved Al Gore's response to a Trump voter who asked about mining jobs last night. He told her essentially that those jobs are gone and aren't coming back "no matter what anyone says". Laid-off miners need to be retrained for other jobs. "I know that is not what you want to hear". I found his honesty refreshing. A lot of workers in the U.S. are hurting and they need the truth and not Trump and his empty promises.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
The bill introduced by Sens. Tom Cotton (Ark.) and David Perdue (Ga.) would cut legal immigration in half. :eek:

Trump, GOP senators to introduce bill to slash legal immigration levels (Washington Post)

President Trump will appear with a pair of conservative Republican senators at the White House on Wednesday to unveil legislation aimed at slashing legal immigration levels over a decade, a goal Trump endorsed on the campaign trail.

Sens. Tom Cotton (Ark.) and David Perdue (Ga.) have been working with the Trump administration to refine a bill they first introduced in February that aims to cut immigration by half from the current level of more than 1 million green cards per year granting foreigners permanent legal residence in the United States.

The outlines of the legislation reflect the aims Trump touted on the campaign trail, when he argued that the rapid growth of immigration over the past half century had harmed job opportunities for American workers and led to risks to national security. Trump has met twice at the White House with Cotton and Perdue to discuss the details of their legislation, which is titled the Reforming American Immigration for Strong Employment (RAISE) Act.
They should call it the "Destroy Our Future Act."

Jenny

From the Bloc
This is not surprising at all. It's part and parcel of the circling of wagons and isolationist thinking that was part of Trump's campaign and has been the doctrine of the Republicans all along. Tear up trade deals, exit from international agreements, stop promoting democracy on a global level, travel bans, cut funding for science, deny climate change and ignore other global issues, travel bans, building walls, etc - it's all part of the same movement.

Fiero425

A lot of Trump voters pardoned him for some of the nasty things he said because they never expected it to affect them.

Loved Al Gore's response to a Trump voter who asked about mining jobs last night. He told her essentially that those jobs are gone and aren't coming back "no matter what anyone says". Laid-off miners need to be retrained for other jobs. "I know that is not what you want to hear". I found his honesty refreshing. A lot of workers in the U.S. are hurting and they need the truth and not Trump and his empty promises.
Republicans like to be lied to; seen it all my life! Since I was a kid, it has always been about "tax cuts" in their minds! It's a MONTRA! Every time they get their way, they run the economy and gov't into the ground and repeat it! Republicans are the definition of insanity thinking another result will occur doing the same stupid thing! Bush 41 called it voodoo economics in '80, but jumped on board to become President in '88! "Supply-siders" have blown it since the 20's when they had just as much power across the country and we saw what happened! The Great Depression was almost outdone by Bush 43 with the collapse of everything when we were actually paying down "the debt" under Clinton! I thought we were on our way, but Gore was such a weak candidate, he blew it and didn't fight for that recount in FLA! Not sure we'll recover this time; Trump has lowered the standard for elected officials! It's already starting to go bad with weak job creation numbers, the auto industry going on life support, now conservatives going for the jugular with social reengineering! They HATE the liberal agenda and would rather go back to a time more comfortable for them; maybe Jurassic! Thankfully I'm old and won't have to see the final residual affects of this last election! I should have moved to Amsterdam in '01 when I had a chance, but the market crashed and lost more than half my worth! "Thanks "W!" :rolleyes: :kickass: :lynch: :mitchell: :revenge:

Erin

The bill introduced by Sens. Tom Cotton (Ark.) and David Perdue (Ga.) would cut legal immigration in half. :eek:

Trump, GOP senators to introduce bill to slash legal immigration levels (Washington Post)

:( Not surprising, but disappointing nonetheless. The US already has (in my experience) a long and difficult immigration process when compared to other similar countries. (I'm four years and counting waiting for permanent residence, part of which was due to delays on my employer's part, but also due to delays in the system...in Canada, I could have had citizenship in this time)

Fiero425

This is not surprising at all. It's part and parcel of the circling of wagons and isolationist thinking that was part of Trump's campaign and has been the doctrine of the Republicans all along. Tear up trade deals, exit from international agreements, stop promoting democracy on a global level, travel bans, cut funding for science, deny climate change and ignore other global issues, travel bans, building walls, etc - it's all part of the same movement.
Years ago when they started "harping" on Sharia Law taking over, I knew these people were bent! I'm so done! :rolleyes: :kickass:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Obamacare for starters. There was also Christie back when he thought he was going to have a major role saying the first thing a Trump presidency would do is get rid of all the public servants and start over. From there, my impression from the headlines and news stories is that if Obama put it in place, then Trump will take it out, with the full support of Republican representatives.

Now, we have seen that Republicans have occasionally gone rogue, but for the most part, they are not as a whole trying to focus the government on doing rather than undoing.

And:
Trump is obsessed with Obama and has been for over 8 years. It's like his rant at the boy scouts event. Obama wasn't here! I'm more popular than Obama. Spicey's declaration that the inauguration crowd was bigger than Obama's. I think he's more obsessed the Congress, although they used that meme to get themselves elected.

VGThuy

Not only are they trying to eliminate affirmative action but they are trying to say transgender people aren't in a protected class.

Civil Rights Uniformity Act of 2017

This bill would ensure that constitutional authority related to civil rights remains in the hands of Congress: No federal civil rights law shall be interpreted to treat gender identity or transgender status as a protected class, unless it expressly designates "gender identity" or "transgender status" as a protected class. This bill prohibits the word "sex" or "gender" from being interpreted to mean "gender identity," and requires "man" or "woman" to be interpreted to refer exclusively to a person's genetic sex, for purposes determining the meaning of federal civil rights laws or related federal administrative agency regulations or guidance. Sponsor: Pete Olson [R-TX-22]

According to Representative Pete Olson, the bill’s sponsor, “The Founding Fathers never intended unelected bureaucrats in federal agencies to make sweeping changes to the definition of gender. While we have a new president in office, we must restore the voice of the people given to them by our Constitution and put an end to this dangerous precedent of removing Congress’ power to make laws.”

**** you, Pete Olson.
And some actually try to argue he's the most pro-LGBTQ President ever. The fact that they can only manage to use marriage as an issue to show this (attending a wedding once and making a simple statement while he wasn't really promoting any legislative or policy action to make same-sex marriage legal for all states) shows how out-of-touch his apologists are with LGBTQ issues. Yes, this is an act of Congress, but look at what Trump has done prior to this bill. He's pretty much in-line with them.

FiveRinger

Why doesn't the administration just call what he's doing an ethnic purge, because, I don't care what anyone says, that's what the hell he's doing?

Fiero425

Trump is obsessed with Obama and has been for over 8 years. It's like his rant at the boy scouts event. Obama wasn't here! I'm more popular than Obama. Spicey's declaration that the inauguration crowd was bigger than Obama's. I think he's more obsessed the Congress, although they used that meme to get themselves elected.
Trump has exposed himself as one of the great bigots with his Jihad on Obama! Nothing has been spared in disparaging this man, from his citizenship and patriotism to his religious beliefs & intellect! Trump actually has called Obama some kind of "affirmative action" case going to Harvard! "We need to see those transcripts!" BO was the President of the Harvard Law Review while Trump can barely read a TV guide or speech on his teleprompter! You know how past Presidents have this bond of being in an exclusive club? I'm not sure Trump will make the grade after all's said and done! He's insulted everyone from McCain to Graham in the Senate and he wonders why no one defends him! The man is VILE and when I hear of friends supporting him, I have to reflect on even knowing these people!

My best friend and roommate from college kept it to himself that he was a Republican until '05 when we started talking politics! It was so hard for him to criticize "W" and I've been in shock ever since! He says he wears his Trump supporter t-shirt with pride! I've known this person since '77, who spoke fluent German, studied Russian, is a Mensa member for Gawd-sake, but is a Trump supporter! We haven't seen each other in years even though we text periodically! He's moved back to town, but not sure I'll be able to look him in the eye without "going off!" I feel like he's this abused woman who won't leave her BF/Hubby! He's gay, has liberal leanings, well liked by all, but this has tarnished his HALO for all time in my eyes! :rolleyes: :wall:

Last edited:

ballettmaus

What makes me :wall: is that they model their immigration system after Canada and Australia where it has been like this for a long time even though the US has different needs. You cannot just change something that affects the economy because you like how it's done elsewhere. You have to look at your country and adopt it to your country's needs. How much money do these guys get paid again? (Do I understand the Post correctly - 60 votes are needed?)

Last edited:

ballettmaus

Trump has signed the Russia sanctions bill. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/08/02/trump-signs-bill-imposing-new-sanctions-on-russia-but-issues-a-statement-with-concerns/?hpid=hp_regional-hp-cards_rhp-card-politics:homepage/card&utm_term=.da8fa81de8ef

Trump said that he signed the bill, despite his reservations, for the sake of “national unity.” In a second statement accompanying his signing of the legislation, Trump called some of the provisions in the legislation “clearly unconstitutional.”
If I had to guess, I'd say, he was told that it would become law eventually, with or without his signature and that is why he signed it. I would also guess that he would call everything that limits the power of the President unconstitutional. I doubt that he himself knows what it is actually in the Constitution.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Three A's, T&M, P&C
They don't have to Say that. Actions speak louder than words.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 16)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information