Dangers of a Trump Presidency--Part 7

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
It's more imcomprehensible to me. I mean, just how low is Graham/are Republicans willing to go? Is Trump really worth it?
More specifically, what is it that they want from/owe to Erdogan? Its possible Trump is just elevating an authoritarian because he loves authoritarians, but what's Graham doing? Acting out of fear of Erdogan and Trump?

ballettmaus

More specifically, what is it that they want from/owe to Erdogan? Its possible Trump is just elevating an authoritarian because he loves authoritarians, but what's Graham doing? Acting out of fear of Erdogan and Trump?
From what I've read, I wouldn't be surprised if this is somehow connected to money. With Trump, it all seems to come down to money/investments.
I also read that Turkey intercepted a call between Trump and the Saudis. I have no idea if there is any truth to it but these days, I wouldn't rule it out.
Erdogan and Putin are allies as well, so that might play a role. And Kashoggi was killed in Turkey, so who knows how that is connected.

And Graham is probably just doing Trump's bidding.

ballettmaus

Articles like these make me wonder if Pence would really be worse than Trump. Trump is doing things I don't expect Pence would do but things Pence would do, Trump is also already doing.

ballettmaus

The GOP will hold their winter retreat at Trump's Doral resort. I guess, now we know why he agreed to hold the G7 elsewhere after all. https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/rnc-to-hold-winter-meetings-at-trump-resort-that-was-considered-for-g-7-summit/2019/11/14/8562c10a-071d-11ea-b17d-8b867891d39d_story.html

Witnesses who are reviewing the DOJ's IG report on the Russia investigation can't comment in writing and can't take any notes out of the reviewing area. Seems totally legit and not suspicious at all that DOJ doesn't want to create a paper trail. https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/justice-dept-watchdog-wont-let-witnesses-give-written-feedback-on-report-about-fbis-russia-probe-sparking-fears-of-inaccuracy/2019/11/14/1236d0aa-070d-11ea-b17d-8b867891d39d_story.html

Susan1

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Graham is a sniveling coward and doesn't have the fortitude to stand on his own feet.

clairecloutier

Bill Barr gave a disgusting speech at the Federalist Society dinner this week that was all about how the judicial and legislative branches have supposedly been steadily encroaching on executive power in recent years. (Interesting that he thinks this, when most opinion that I’ve read is just the opposite).

The immediate purpose of the speech was very evidently to pressure the Supreme Court to protect Trump’s tax returns from Congress. How many of the conservative Justices were there in the audience for this garbage? I’ll bet most. Kavanaugh was definitely there as a speaker.

Text of Barr’s speech: https://www.justice.gov/opa/speech/attorney-general-william-p-barr-delivers-19th-annual-barbara-k-olson-memorial-lecture

Susan1

Just turned on the t.v. (MSNBC) as they were saying that trump is Walter Reed for his physical that he usually has in January because he would be too busy then. It wasn't on any schedule (maybe the hospital's - they don't know). Just a distraction (on a Saturday?) or maybe something is wrong, physically? Not that they'll announce the results truthfully, good or bad. Wait, maybe he thinks you can't impeach a sick and/or dying president? Maybe he's just jealous of all the sympathy President Jimmy Carter is getting.

Last edited:

mag

@Susan1 He said something I wondered about during a back and forth with the press yesterday or the day before (sorry, it is all blending into a blur.) It was when he was in the White House and a reporter asked about the phone conversation in the restaurant. He made some comment about being the most transparent president in history and then said something to the effect that whether it was the impeachment or medical. I thought that seemed odd at the time.

mag

I am not American, but this brought tears to me eyes. If anyone needs a reminder of what a true leader sounds like, listen to this:

I have not been able to find Trump’s comments at the unveiling of the Obama’s portraits.

ballettmaus

Bill Barr gave a disgusting speech at the Federalist Society dinner this week that was all about how the judicial and legislative branches have supposedly been steadily encroaching on executive power in recent years.
Maybe that was the speech he had to give in order to keep his job since he didn't publically say that Trump's phone call was perfect and he did nothing wrong?!

canbelto

Well the race for LA Gov has just been called. John Bel Edwards wins. Trump went all in on Eddie Rispone so he's batting 0-2 right now in tight governor races.

Susan1

@Susan1 He said something I wondered about during a back and forth with the press yesterday or the day before (sorry, it is all blending into a blur.) It was when he was in the White House and a reporter asked about the phone conversation in the restaurant. He made some comment about being the most transparent president in history and then said something to the effect that whether it was the impeachment or medical. I thought that seemed odd at the time.
I haven't heard that one. I was thinking later, though, a couple weeks ago? (yeah, who knows - every crappy day of him blends into the next) he "made a joke" something about Melania wouldn't cry if he died.

The theory this morning (via FB) is that he will resign for health reasons so he doesn't get impeached (me - or have to show his taxes or be sued for 18,679 things). And then he'll go play golf every day? I don't think so.

Reuven

Official FSU Alte Kacher
The Senate confirmed Chad Wolf as undersecretary of the Office of Strategy, Policy and Plans at DHS then he moved into the Acting Secretary position and named Cuccinelli as his deputy. https://www.npr.org/2019/11/14/779264900/chad-wolf-becomes-homeland-securitys-acting-secretary-and-names-cuccinelli-as-no

They sound like quite the pair :yikes:
That is the work-around to get Cuccinelli in place. He would NEVER be confirmed, even by GOP Senators because he ticked off too many Republican Senators.
That is owed to his tenure as president of the Senate Conservatives Fund, a political action committee with a long track record of working against incumbent Republican senators, challenging them from the party’s right flank.
And Cuccinelli is not regarded well by House Homeland Security Committee, even though they don’t get to approve nominations:
Chairman Bennie Thompson of Mississippi... “Mr. Cuccinelli is an anti-immigrant fringe figure that has no business leading a component that is supposed to administer our nation’s legal immigration system. Besides being a right-wing commentator, Cuccinelli is completely unqualified to the lead USCIS and likely wants to decimate the agency Congress charged with handling our immigration and refugee programs.”
Look for Wolf to defer to Cuccinelli as he’s the guy who has the backing of 45, and his racist sidekick, Steven Miller.

Sparks

CNN: Typically, Walter Reed's medical staff would get a general notice about a "VIP" visit to the medical center ahead of a presidential visit. That did not happen this time, indicating the visit was a non-routine visit and scheduled last minute.

clairecloutier

Someone wrote on Twitter that supposedly Trump was having tantrums at the White House the last few days, throwing things, and threatening to fire everyone. Of course there was no source offered for this info, so it's totally unverified. It is interesting, though, I wonder if he had an anxiety attack or a total uncontrollable fit of rage.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Anxiety Attack - probably not
Uncontrollable fit of rage - yep the guy is an angry ant who hates being brought to account

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 14, Guests: 29)