Dangers of a Trump Presidency--Part 7

mag

American’s did the same in Afghanistan. There is a fabulous play the Arts Club in Vancouver is doing right now called A Thousand Splendid Suns about two women in Afghanistan. It is gut wrenching, but every American politician should be required to watch it or at least read the book. Until they start actually learning about history from something other their narrow white, American, male point of view, this will continue to happen.

ballettmaus

$300 for a haircut and highlights is very reasonable for a major urban area, too. What a non-scandal. Also, they would criticize her if her hair didn’t look good. And they’d never write this about a man :rolleyes:
That is a scandal in itself but a totally different one ;) And certainly not one that the Washington Times should write about considering that this President's scandalous actions go so, so far beyond wearing a tan suit.

caseyedwards

Zemgirl

Susan1

I know this should go in the thread about other races besides the president or something, but it is directly related to Dangers of you-know-who.
Amy McGrath, a Democrat and former fighter pilot, raised $10.7 million in the first three months of her campaign against Sen. Mitch McConnell.
Go get him!

Susan1

Misc.
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/prince-estate-blasts-trump-playing-034542540.html

Back in 2016 when they would be talking to reporters before trump rallies, I would hear Elton John's Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding and wondered why Elton John's people did not protest the use of his songs. And the Stones too.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/why-evangelicals-oppose-trump-over-syria-225647485.html

But they don’t care what happens to immigrant children at the border or poor people in this country? Or all of the un-Christian things trump says and does. The cheating, the divorces, the mistreatment of women, the constant lies.

caseyedwards

Can’t wait to read them! All the public will have them when the democrats get them. They plan to post them on the house website

ballettmaus

Vagabond

First, he'll probably appeal to the SC.
To get technical, there is no right of appeal to the Supreme Court except in redistricting cases. There is a right to petition for a writ of certiorari, but four of the nine Justices would need to vote to grant it. Here, there is no split among the Circuits requiring Supreme Court clarification, and it is unlikely that the Supreme Court would reverse the ruling below. (Let Trump get away with it this time, and the you have to let someone else [a Democrat] get away with it next time. It's possible that four Justices would grant the writ to stall things, but I suspect that the Chief Justice will twist arms if necessary.

ballettmaus

To get technical, there is no right of appeal to the Supreme Court except in redistricting cases. There is a right to petition for a writ of certiorari, but four of the nine Justices would need to vote to grant it. Here, there is no split among the Circuits requiring Supreme Court clarification, and it is unlikely that the Supreme Court would reverse the ruling below. (Let Trump get away with it this time, and the you have to let someone else [a Democrat] get away with it next time. It's possible that four Justices would grant the writ to stall things, but I suspect that the Chief Justice will twist arms if necessary.
Regardless of the procedure, I think that Trump will try to get it to the SC. Anything to stall/not hand over his tax returns.

Zemgirl

Regardless of the procedure, I think that Trump will try to get it to the SC. Anything to stall/not hand over his tax returns.
John Roberts is a conservative Chief Justice, and Republicans will typically be happier with his rulings than Democrats. But he is not going to let Trump turn himself into a king.

mag

(Let Trump get away with it this time, and the you have to let someone else [a Democrat] get away with it next time.
I find this aspect of the Republicans acquiescence to Trump fascinating. They are creating an interesting position should they ever want to hold a democratic president accountable. I realize that hypocrisy is their middle name, but at some point I have to believe it will come back to bite them.

BittyBug

And the band played on
Not sure where to put this but Shep Smith has abruptly resigned from Fox News. And only one day after Barr was over there having lunch with the Murdochs. 🤔

Vagabond

Of course he will try. But he may well be given short shrift.
I find this aspect of the Republicans acquiescence to Trump fascinating. They are creating an interesting position should they ever want to hold a democratic president accountable. I realize that hypocrisy is their middle name, but at some point I have to believe it will come back to bite them.
Which is why the judicial system matters so much here. The Justices have to think about the future and the precedent they set.

caseyedwards

He was a major impeachment advocate. He was all about telling the truth. He always trended for his truth telling on Twitter. I always was like no one on cnn was equal to smith in terms of being out of step with their network. All Cnn anchors are the same and are all host their shows the same way. From baldwin to bolduan to cuomo to cooper all the same but no one can say smith was same as Hannity

caseyedwards

Tucker did “allow” a guest to call a napolitano a “fool” and then smith said on his show that was “disgraceful” and then tucker said on his show Smith is a partisan democrat liberal

ballettmaus

Turkish artillery fire came within "several hundred yards" of US military still in Syria. Some say it was a mistake, others say it wasn't. I wonder if it might have been a response/warning to Trump's threats.

Sparks

Trump only made a vague threat to Turkey. Over all he has given them a green light to slaughter Kurds and free ISIS prisoners. Trump has 2 of his towers in Turkey.
Turkey and Russia get an increased presence in the Middle East.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 11)