Dangers of a Trump Presidency--Part 7

ballettmaus

There's plenty of reason for them to turn on him if they finally figure out that he is not acting in the best interests of the country. I'm not going to let Republicans off the hook and blame Pelosi for their behavior.
No, Pelosi isn't to blame. Everyone is responsible for their own actions. All I'm saying is that (since this seems to be all about partisanship/politics) I don't expect a Republican to turn on Trump when there even is a Democrat who still thinks Trump doesn't deserve to be impeached.

I think it went beyond partisanship a long, long time ago. If there ever was a President who the articles of impeachment were intended for, it's Trump. And it still would be Trump if he were a Democrat or an Independent or a Libertarian or Green Party or a member of any other party under the sun. So, that anyone still thinks he shouldn't be impeached is beyond me. What more does he need to do?

Last edited:

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Impeachment articles will be introduced due to this latest revelation about Trump's corrupt actions to pressure Ukraine to help him in the election. I'm confident of that.

MacMadame

Cat Lady-in-Training
I'm thinking if Republicans (led by Fox News) follow their usual script they are shortly going to start talking about how corrupt Biden's actions in Ukraine were and how this is what we really need to investigate and that Trump is right to try to get this corruption investigated in Ukraine and Biden is the most corrupt politician since... Hillary Clinton. Probably they'll start clamoring for his emails and chanting "lock him up."
They are already doing that.

ballettmaus

Impeachment articles will be introduced due to this latest revelation about Trump's corrupt actions to pressure Ukraine to help him in the election. I'm confident of that.
I don't think the introduction of articles of impeachment is the problem. They recently did take steps towards impeachment and they do have an investigation of sorts going on. Nearly two-thirds of House Democrats are said to be in favor. And 7 out of 10 Democrats are said to be in favor of impeachment. Only 18% are reportedly opposed. https://www.politico.com/story/2019/09/18/house-democrats-trump-impeachment-poll-1500741
I believe the problem is that Pelosi still isn't backing impeachment and I don't believe that anything will change until she is.

Sparks

I call BS on this. Saudi Arabia has its own defense already...mostly supplied by the US.

Last edited:

canbelto

I realize this is small potatoes compared to, you know, treason, but for whatever reason this post by Rachel Campos Duffy really pissed me off.

First of all even if you take Campos-Duffy's word 100% it doesn't sound like Rep. Omar was rude. She did pose for pictures and spoke to the girl. Second of all, if this story is true, Omar is right: "accepting" is the better word than "tolerant" and it sounds like she said it in a polite way. Third of all, I have a real problem with Campos-Duffy stoking the flames of Islamophobia by saying "my poor little daughter" when Rep. Omar did speak to her daughter and pose for a picture. I have volunteered in political campaigns and been dismayed by how brusque politicians often are. But it comes with the field. Even in the worst version of this story it doesn't sound like Rep. Omar was any of those things.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Medvedeva, T&M, Shibs, P&C
Some days of this Administration are just so disgusting that I can't even read the articles. It sounds like the Lewandowski "testimony" was an utter joke & made a mockery of the whole idea of Congressional investigations & yet CNN is having him on this morning (after he admitted he lies to the press!) & he's supposedly going to run for Senate. Meanwhile the onetime federalist, states' rights Republican party announces that it's going to rein in state power in California simply because Trump hates CA. Also the Administration is actively trying to push back all environmental regulation and deliberately encouraging more pollution of our environment. And yet I still see "conservatives" on Facebook saying they don't like Trump but just can't vote for any Democrats and seemingly completely failing to realize that it's not just Trump who's the problem but the entire Republican Party that is actively aiding and abetting him.

This has just been a depressing week, news-wise. It's amazing how much damage a bad-faith party and president can do in just a few years, in every area. And yeah, the inability of so many Americans to a) take in the situation, b) see it for what it is, and c) decide to act on it is just discouraging. :(
What frustrates me is the weakness of the democrats. They should have held him in contempt right then and there. What are they afraid of? They have rights but they don’t exercise them. Even Pelosi said later that he should have been held in contempt. Unless the democrats toughen up, they have no hope. How many times will Trump and his team of law breakers get away with their total disrespect for the law? They have not been caught and they will never be unless the democrats bring a gun to a gun fight (I borrowed this expression from someone on cable news - I don’t remember who it was).

Last edited:

Susan1

trump said he doesn't know who the whistle blower is, then said it was a partisan person.
he said he didn't know which call they were talking about, then said it was appropriate and "beautiful".
They asked if he talked about Biden. he said it doesn't matter what I said.

And they'll investigate for 2 years and nothing will happen.

ballettmaus

At first, I thought Pelosi was playing the long game in terms of impeachment.

Now I think she's just spineless.
I just came across Rep. Malinowski's twitter thread and he reminded me that we don't know yet what happened and, I think, he do has a point when he says that they can't impeach based on leaks. But I also think he has a point when he says that they could just get rid of impeachment if the allegation is proven to be true and Democrats don't impeach. (Although, I'd be believing that even if we hadn't had this new development and they don't impeach). https://twitter.com/Malinowski/status/1175412930705338369

I understand that politics is generally slow, and yes, they need to know if the allegations are true before they do anything. But I'm not getting any sense of urgency. Trump, apparently, asked a foreign leader to help him win an election and I'm not sure what more he needs to do before TPTB believe that they can't rely on the next election to get him out of office and are running out of time.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Medvedeva, T&M, Shibs, P&C
At first, I thought Pelosi was playing the long game in terms of impeachment.

Now I think she's just spineless.
I have been complaining about Pelosi for a very long time, and I angered many of her faithfuls by doing that. I never believed in her long game. She just doesn’t want to impeach Trump. I think she has also miscalculated that not impeaching will help the democrats win the general election. I have no faith in her leadership. She has weakened the entire Democratic Party. JMO.

Buzz

While the Trump administration is getting all worked up about Iran maybe being behind the attack on Saudi oil infrastructure, back in February the Saudis accidentally bombed a school bus killing 40 children.

Reuven

Official FSU Alte Kacher
Since we're getting real 007 here, could the whistleblower be Bolton? The timeline fits.
Timeline fits former DNI Dan Coates better. Or even his deputy, Sue Gordon.
Also, the WB has hired a lawyer, Andrew Baka, Who is:
An attorney who left the CIA in 2014 after facing professional retaliation for trying to work with intelligence community whistleblowers...
Should be interesting.

caseyedwards

I just came across Rep. Malinowski's twitter thread and he reminded me that we don't know yet what happened and, I think, he do has a point when he says that they can't impeach based on leaks. But I also think he has a point when he says that they could just get rid of impeachment if the allegation is proven to be true and Democrats don't impeach. (Although, I'd be believing that even if we hadn't had this new development and they don't impeach). https://twitter.com/Malinowski/status/1175412930705338369

I understand that politics is generally slow, and yes, they need to know if the allegations are true before they do anything. But I'm not getting any sense of urgency. Trump, apparently, asked a foreign leader to help him win an election and I'm not sure what more he needs to do before TPTB believe that they can't rely on the next election to get him out of office and are running out of time.
Gutless and spineless! Don’t they know watergate was mostly leaks at first?!

clairecloutier

This tweet includes a list of House Democrats who have NOT yet stated support for impeachment.

If you live in these Members' districts and if you support impeachment, you could consider calling your MoC to say so (if you haven't already). You can also contact Pelosi directly in her role as Speaker.

One of Pelosi's daughters tweeted this weekend that the House's court cases are getting more attention than complaining tweets are, etc. I disagree; their various court cases seem to have recessed into the background and who knows what will happen with them.

I'm really questioning House leadership at this point (mainly, Pelosi). As someone said on Twitter, the house is burning and Trump is getting worse every day.

Last edited:

Vagabond

This tweet includes a list of House Democrats who have NOT yet stated support for impeachment.

If you live in these Members' districts and if you support impeachment, you could consider calling your MoC to say so (if you haven't already). You can also contact Pelosi directly in her role as Speaker.
Anyone represented by a Republican in the House or Senate should consider doing likewise, even at the risk of feeling like this: :wall:

ballettmaus

One of Pelosi's daughters tweeted this weekend that the House's court cases are getting more attention than complaining tweets are, etc. I disagree; their various court cases seem to have recessed into the background and who knows what will happen with them.
:huh: Who even knows how many court cases there are at the moment (without looking it up and even then, it'll probably take some time to sort through the results and separate the individual cases). And at least one judge denied to speed up the trial, so it'll drag on and on. I'm not sure what world she lives in but in the world I live in, people have very short attention spans. By the time these cases are decided, we're probably so far along into next year that voters have forgotten about it and are more concerned about other things. Trump can emphasize that it was all a witch hunt because Democrats didn't even impeach while he continues to manipulate the election because he was never held accountable and Democrats will have put Trump above the law and set a dangerous precedent.

That said, Adam Schiff seems to be inching towards impeachment. https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1175763161921794048
I believe Pelosi is the one holding Democrats back but if the pressure within the caucus rises, she might have no choice but to budge even without Republican votes.

clairecloutier

I believe Pelosi is the one holding Democrats back but if the pressure within the caucus rises, she might have no choice but to budge even without Republican votes.
I agree & that's why I think it's important for people to contact their MoCs (that is, if they support impeachment).

Susan1

It's all a rerun from 2016 -
Hillary's emails = trump + Russia (lying, obstructing, denial, deflecting, distracting)
Biden's son = trump + Ukraine (lying, obstructing, denial, deflecting, distracting)

Of course, Ukraine is going to say the calls were great and they didn't discuss anything wrong. That's what Russia did. And how many of them were guilty?

Why were so many democrats voted in in 2018 if all we are going to do is vote again in 2020? That didn't help Hillary in 2016. :wall:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)