Dangers of a Trump Presidency--Part 7

LynnW

Politiking for Purple
How worried should we be that Trump is going to bomb something because of the attack on the Saudi oil plant?

I'm confident Trump doesn't want to put "boots on the ground" anywhere, but not so sure about using bombs or missiles.
I'm worried that the US may may get involved, but I'm more horrified that Trump's tweet seems to say that he is listening to "The Kingdom" and taking Saudi Arabia's direction on how to proceed.

Vagabond

I remember when Ivanka did some documentary about rich kids like a decade plus change ago. She laughed while speaking about growing up and seeing homeless people talk to her when she walked near Trump Tower.
In that piece, Ivanka Trump is laughing about her father. He mentioned a homeless man they saw was wirtg $8 billion more than Trump was, inasmuch as Trump was so deep in debt.

Ivanka Trump may or may not be heartless about homelessness, but that clip doesn't prove anything one way or the other. What is does prove is that she is Daddy's girl. But we knew that already. :yawn:

Reuven

Official FSU Alte Kacher
NY prosecutors subpoena 8 years of Trump's tax records.
Cy Vance has a history with the Trump crime family.
In 2010, when the Major Economic Crimes Bureau of the D.A.’s office opened an investigation of the siblings, the Trump Organization had hired several top New York criminal-defense lawyers to represent Donald, Jr., and Ivanka. These attorneys had met with prosecutors in the bureau several times. They conceded that their clients had made exaggerated claims, but argued that the overstatements didn’t amount to criminal misconduct. Still, the case dragged on. In a meeting with the defense team, Donald Trump, Sr., expressed frustration that the investigation had not been closed. Soon after, his longtime personal lawyer, Marc Kasowitz, entered the case.

But, in 2012, Kasowitz donated twenty-five thousand dollars to the reëlection campaign of the Manhattan District Attorney, Cyrus Vance, Jr., making Kasowitz one of Vance’s largest donors. Kasowitz decided to bypass the lower-level prosecutors and went directly to Vance to ask that the investigation be dropped.

On May 16, 2012, Kasowitz visited Vance’s office at One Hogan Place, in downtown Manhattan... Dan Alonso, the Chief Assistant District Attorney, and Adam Kaufmann, the chief of the investigative division, were also at the meeting, but no one from the Major Economic Crimes Bureau attended. Kasowitz did not introduce any new arguments or facts during his session. He simply repeated the arguments that the other defense lawyers had been making for months.

Ultimately, Vance overruled his own prosecutors. Three months after the meeting, he told them to drop the case. Kasowitz subsequently boasted to colleagues about representing the Trump children, according to two people.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
As Trump prepares big push on homelessness, White House floats new role for police (Washington Post)

Trump administration is looking at using the police to round up homeless people so they can be taken to places where they can be temporarily housed, humanely of course. Why does this sound familiar? :unsure:

They blame the homelessness problem on liberal areas that tolerate people living on the streets. One could infer that they think that the problem is people visibly living on the streets not homelessness per se. Oh, nah, that couldn't be the case...

Trump has recently directed his aides to figure out “how the hell we can get these people off the streets,” according to one administration official.

Philipson said in the call that “policing may be an important tool to help them get off the street,” although he did not elaborate on what that might mean.

The report blames high homelessness in part on “more tolerable conditions for sleeping on the streets” and notes that homelessness may be lower in states that “engage in more stringent enforcement of quality of life issues, like restrictions on the use of tents and encampments, loitering, and other related activities.”
hmm, so criminalizing living on the streets creates affordable housing units?

skatesindreams

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Not Trump, but Cokie Roberts has died from complications due to breast cancer. I will very much miss her political commentary.

Prancer

Needs More Sleep
Staff member
How will these policies help this man?
Is Trump's plan intended to help this man? I don't think helping the homeless is the point at all.

Japanfan

Ivanka Trump may or may not be heartless about homelessness, but that clip doesn't prove anything one way or the other. What is does prove is that she is Daddy's girl. But we knew that already. :yawn:
I think it's safe to assume that she is heartless about homelessness. Just as she appears to be heartless about women. She claims to be a champion of women's rights, but I don't think she has ever put time and effort into actually talking with women outside of her own elite circle. And she only provides her married female employees with mat leave - non-married ones are right out of luck.

If she weren't heartless about homelessness she wouldn't be remembering and fondly laughing about what her father said about a homeless person.

clairecloutier

Some days of this Administration are just so disgusting that I can't even read the articles. It sounds like the Lewandowski "testimony" was an utter joke & made a mockery of the whole idea of Congressional investigations & yet CNN is having him on this morning (after he admitted he lies to the press!) & he's supposedly going to run for Senate. Meanwhile the onetime federalist, states' rights Republican party announces that it's going to rein in state power in California simply because Trump hates CA. Also the Administration is actively trying to push back all environmental regulation and deliberately encouraging more pollution of our environment. And yet I still see "conservatives" on Facebook saying they don't like Trump but just can't vote for any Democrats and seemingly completely failing to realize that it's not just Trump who's the problem but the entire Republican Party that is actively aiding and abetting him.

This has just been a depressing week, news-wise. It's amazing how much damage a bad-faith party and president can do in just a few years, in every area. And yeah, the inability of so many Americans to a) take in the situation, b) see it for what it is, and c) decide to act on it is just discouraging. :(

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Trump speaks more on what concerns him about homelessness:

President Trump maligned the problem of homelessness in California as he arrived in the nation’s most populous state Tuesday, arguing that people living on the streets here have ruined the “prestige” of two of the state’s most populous cities and suggesting the possibility of federal action.

“We can’t let Los Angeles, San Francisco and numerous other cities destroy themselves by allowing what’s happening,” Trump told reporters aboard Air Force One en route to Silicon Valley, where he hosted a campaign fundraiser to kick off a two-day visit to California.

As he arrived here, Trump claimed that he had personally heard complaints from tenants in the state, some of them foreigners. He expressed sympathy for real estate investors here and other Californians whose property values or quality of life are threatened.

“In many cases, they came from other countries and they moved to Los Angeles or they moved to San Francisco because of the prestige of the city, and all of a sudden they have tents,” Trump said. “Hundreds and hundreds of tents and people living at the entrance to their office building. And they want to leave.”

In Los Angeles and San Francisco, Trump said, people are living on the “best highways, our best streets, our best entrances to buildings . . . where people in those buildings pay tremendous taxes, where they went to those locations because of the prestige.”
Not that it needs to be said here, but Donald Trump is a vile and small-minded man.

Trump: Homeless people hurt the ‘prestige’ of Los Angeles, San Francisco (Washington Post)

mag

“In many cases, they came from other countries and they moved to Los Angeles or they moved to San Francisco because of the prestige of the city, and all of a sudden they have tents,”

So now he suddenly cares what immigrants think? I wonder what is different about these immigrants compared to the ones fleeing for their lives at the southern border?

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
“In many cases, they came from other countries and they moved to Los Angeles or they moved to San Francisco because of the prestige of the city, and all of a sudden they have tents,”

So now he suddenly cares what immigrants think? I wonder what is different about these immigrants compared to the ones fleeing for their lives at the southern border?
:bribe:

ErikWilliam

REPs saw at the border that there is big money to be made. So now let's 'round up' the homeless and put them in these filthy detention centers and charge $800 per day for each of them and give them barely enough even to survive. Doesn't that sound familiar? Like 80 years ago? It's frightening. I thought REPs were the moralists with their Moral Majority? There is nothing moral or Christian by what they are tolerating, if not promoting.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Maybe if the government took responsibility for health care that might go some way to alleviate the problem of homelessness. It is the one of the "features" every time I have visited the US the number of homeless people and you wonder how a first world country can treat it's citizens so appallingly. I am sure that people being unable to afford health care contributes to it as well as mental health (oh but they are the ones with the guns). Also the cost of living is ridiculous in cities like San Francisco. Why not do something to help make affordable housing.

But the attitude is just to move people on instead of helping them because it makes the landscape (mainly concrete) look dirty.

MacMadame

Cat Lady-in-Training
You know, I don't disagree with Trump about everything. One of his stated promises pre-election was to introduce infrastructure projects and I think they are very necessary. And his first instinct on guns is to implement common-sense gun control, which I also agree with. (Of course, on both of those he hasn't followed through but that's another issue for another day.)

The problem is, he's such a dumpster fire. Normally, we would welcome some help from the Feds to deal with homelessness. Money, programs, better options for the addicted and mentally ill would all help. But of course, that's not what he's proposing. He's proposing rounding people up and shipping them off somewhere so the people he deems important don't have to look at them.

It makes me want to scream.

clairecloutier

His promises are useless & meaningless except when it comes to immigration and tax cuts for the wealthy. As to his instincts, I don't think he really has any, they change with the wind and the last person he talked to.

This administration has yet to do or say one single thing I agree with.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
You know, I don't disagree with Trump about everything. One of his stated promises pre-election was to introduce infrastructure projects and I think they are very necessary. And his first instinct on guns is to implement common-sense gun control, which I also agree with. (Of course, on both of those he hasn't followed through but that's another issue for another day.)

The problem is, he's such a dumpster fire. Normally, we would welcome some help from the Feds to deal with homelessness. Money, programs, better options for the addicted and mentally ill would all help. But of course, that's not what he's proposing. He's proposing rounding people up and shipping them off somewhere so the people he deems important don't have to look at them.

It makes me want to scream.
He is more focussed on attacking people than actually doing things.

Peaches LaTour

Maybe if the government took responsibility for health care that might go some way to alleviate the problem of homelessness. It is the one of the "features" every time I have visited the US the number of homeless people and you wonder how a first world country can treat it's citizens so appallingly. I am sure that people being unable to afford health care contributes to it as well as mental health (oh but they are the ones with the guns). Also the cost of living is ridiculous in cities like San Francisco. Why not do something to help make affordable housing.

But the attitude is just to move people on instead of helping them because it makes the landscape (mainly concrete) look dirty.
I live in a city where the homeless population has skyrocketed over the last 10 years. I no longer enjoy going into the city because of them.

I find it difficult to sympathize with many of them as they are constantly harassing people, foul mouthed & aggressive, they are scary. According to police, they cause 50% of all the crime, violent & non-violent, in the city. How many times have I been approached & shoved around by a homeless man demanding money from me. I have always shoved back but consider myself lucky never to have been stabbed or otherwise assaulted by one of them

This city has a lot of programs & overnight missions to accommodate the homeless. But if they utilize the overnight, off-the-streets accommodations, they have to surrenender their weapons & drugs, & liquor & are segregated by sex. They aren't willing to do this so they continue to stay on the streets.

Some of them truly want help. This city holds out a helping hand but too many just spit on that hand.

MacMadame

Cat Lady-in-Training
He is more focussed on attacking people than actually doing things.
Or what he calls "winning."

But what I was trying to say is that with a normal President, if they decided homelessness is a big problem, you'd welcome that if you cared about homelessness. Even if you disagreed with them on other issues.

But with this President, you just know it's going to be a disaster and worse than if he hadn't gotten involved.

I'm just hoping he finds some new "problem" to pay attention to before he does more damage. Or some quick way to say he's won even if nothing has happened.

MacMadame

Cat Lady-in-Training
This city has a lot of programs & overnight missions to accommodate the homeless. But if they utilize the overnight, off-the-streets accommodations, they have to surrenender their weapons & drugs, & liquor & are segregated by sex. They aren't willing to do this so they continue to stay on the streets.
Well, why should they use them? It's not like using a shelter helps them get into permanent housing. Shelters are a way to make homelessness safer but it's not a way to end homelessness.

I have to say I have never been physically touched by a homeless person nor seen them shove anyone else. They ask for money and people either ignore them, give them money or tell them they can't give at this time and that's the end of it.

mag

I live in a city where the homeless population has skyrocketed over the last 10 years. I no longer enjoy going into the city because of them.
Many people, especially youth, are homeless because living on the street, with all the danger and discomfort that entails, is better than where they came from. Let that sink in for a minute. Imagine how awful your life at home would have to be that living on the street is a better option.

Homelessness is a huge complex problem, but much of it, at its root, comes from abuse and mental illness. If a homeless person is angry at the world, why is that surprising? Isn’t that a pretty normal response to a world who is angry at them just because they exist? A world that refused to step in and help before they were forced out on the street.

There is lots of research and lots of programs in countries all over the world working to help the homeless and deal with the root causes. Trump and the republicans have no interest in learning because they have no interest in helping. Both would require that many, if not most of them, admit that they are where they are because of privilege and luck of birth. It would also require wealthy people to step up to the plate and pay higher taxes to support social programs, and do so because they realize that their wealth, in a great part, was accumulated with help from all the government programs that support the wealthy. Funny how Republicans are all for government programs when it is subsidies for banks and industry, courts of law for their lawsuits, police to protect their property, embassies to help them with overseas investments, the military to protect those investments, and infrastructure like road, railroads, and airports to transfer them and their good safely, but don’t believe in government help when it comes to those not lucky enough to have been born with their privilege.

Keeping the masses poor and uneducated is the goal of the Republican Party. That makes for an almost unlimited supply of youth to join the military, and a voting population who can be easily gaslighted. Oh, and homeless people rarely vote so why would Trump care?

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
The plot thickens on the whistleblower complaint that is being blocked from being delivered to Congress: It involves Trump and a conversation he had with a foreign leader. :eek:

Trump’s communications with foreign leader are part of whistleblower complaint that spurred standoff between spy chief and Congress, former officials say

The whistleblower complaint that has triggered a tense showdown between the U.S. intelligence community and Congress involves President Trump’s communications with a foreign leader, according to two former U.S. officials familiar with the matter.

Trump’s interaction with the foreign leader included a “promise” that was regarded as so troubling that it prompted an official in the U.S. intelligence community to file a formal whistleblower complaint with the inspector general for the intelligence community, said the officials, speaking on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter publicly.
Well no doubt if it comes out what was actually said, Trump's fans will say he was just joking. :shuffle:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 16, Guests: 5)