Dangers of a Trump Presidency--Part 7

Peaches LaTour

Meanwhile Mitch McConnell says "he was waiting on the White House to craft a bill Trump would sign, arguing everything else surrounding the gun debate was “theatrics.” "

"Theatrics" is Mitch McConnell's term for democracy apparently. Basically his argument is that only the president should put forward legislation and then I guess Congress should rubber stamp this. Of course what he wants people to hear is that the Democrats are playing games or something. Yes, its a game for the House to pass serious legislation to address gun massacres and send it to the Senate for consideration.

IMO, Mitch McConnell's sole goal as Majority leader of the Senate is to destroy the US political system and replace it with a rightwing authoritarian regime.
Theatrics? Would he feel that way if one of his own family were amongst the hundreds of those murdered in mass shootings this year alone?

What the f'g he'll is wrong with this bastard?

caseyedwards

The theatrics was demanding bringing the senate back into session not even knowing if anything would even pass! And if it was so serious why didn’t pelosi bring the house back into session to ban some semi automatic weapons?

ballettmaus

This from Justice Sotomayor's dissent in the Supreme Court decision to allow the Trump Admin to deny asylum seekers had me thinking.
The justices who are allowing Trump to deny asylum seekers should be forced to spend a week living with refugees in their home country and then make the journey with them. Let's see if they then still think they should be denied.

ballettmaus

Trump is reportedly considering going along with a French plan that would extend a $15 billion credit to Iran to make up for what Iran loses due to US sanctions. https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-flirts-with-dollar15-billion-bailout-for-iran-sources-say

How about considering to simply try and put the nuclear deal back in place? (I realize it's not going to be that simple but it doesn't sound like the sanctions are worth anything if you're willing to extend a credit).

Susan1

My facebook friends who support Trump have the response whenever I post something stupid that Trump said or did
“he’s better than Hillary”
It's been that way for years, they can't defend him so they attack someone else. I wonder where they learned that, huh?

canbelto

Do you have any "hes just saying what everyone thinks" FB friends? And I'm always like actually no, not everyone thinks like him.

Vagabond

ballettmaus

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
The justices who are allowing Trump to deny asylum seekers should be forced to spend a week living with refugees in their home country and then make the journey with them. Let's see if they then still think they should be denied.
I'm not sure why Sotomayor was talking about refugees in that quote when the decision was about asylum seekers but this article makes it clear how damaging Trump's plans on refugees would be.

Trump’s Refugee Cuts Threaten Deep Consequences at Home and Abroad (NY Times)

Every year, the United States announces the number of refugees it plans to host. It works with international agencies, particularly in the United Nations, to decide which displaced populations are most in need. They’ll vet the applications, nominating the most qualified people. Then the United States screens them, doing interviews and lengthy background checks. Approval typically takes years.

Only a tiny fraction of the world’s refugees are eligible for resettlement. The American program gives priority to the family members of refugees who are already in the United States, and to people regarded as particularly vulnerable.

Typically, they will have been displaced by war or persecution. Many will be in overcrowded camps, unable to work or return home. Some will still be pursued by militias or governments who wish them harm. Their host country will often be overwhelmed, unable to absorb or care for the refugees within their borders.

Refugee resettlement is often the only viable solution, said Ms. Ash, the International Rescue Committee official. Otherwise, camps just keep swelling for years or decades, becoming steadily unsafer for their occupants and imposing an ever-greater burden on their host countries.

caseyedwards

But if you are from Guatemala and need to leave Guatemala because the government wants you dead or agents of the government want you dead why can’t you be safe in Mexico? So you need asylum from Guatemala and then you need asylum from Mexico too?!? I was reading an article and some migrants from Guatemala weren’t claiming asylum from Guatemala but Mexico!

nylynnr

But if you are from Guatemala and need to leave Guatemala because the government wants you dead or agents of the government want you dead why can’t you be safe in Mexico? So you need asylum from Guatemala and then you need asylum from Mexico too?!? I was reading an article and some migrants from Guatemala weren’t claiming asylum from Guatemala but Mexico!
The legal (STCA) theory is refugee claimants should generally seek protection in the first of the two countries they reach. So, you don't need asylum from Mexico, you need to be denied asylum from Mexico, in order to apply for asylum in U.S. (Since Mexicans do not need to progress through another country to get to the U.S., the policy does not apply to them.) Incidentally, under the same STCA theory, Canada returns to the U.S. most refugee claimants who present themselves at the border.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Aren't the majority of those who seek asylum refugees?
I don't know when the term refugee becomes a legal term but there is a difference between granting asylum and granting entrance as a refugee. Those at the border fleeing the violent and dangerous conditions in Central America are seeking asylum, not to enter the refugee program.

ETA: Apparently the legal difference is that refugees apply to enter the country while abroad while those seeking asylum do so either at a port of entry or after entering the US.

Department of Homeland Security website, "A refugee is a person outside his or her country of nationality who is unable or unwilling to return to his or her country of nationality because of persecution or a well-founded fear of persecution on account of race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion. An asylee is a person who meets the definition of refugee and is already present in the United States or is seeking admission at a port of entry. Refugees are required to apply for Lawful Permanent Resident (“green card”) status one year after being admitted, and asylees may apply for green card status one year after their grant of asylum. "

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Okay this thing has been nagging at me over a couple of days, this thing about Trump and homelessness.

Paul Waldman writes about it today:

Yes, the president wants to send federal officers into major American cities to round people up and relocate them to some kind of government facility, though one official told The Post, “We’re not rounding people up or anything yet.”
um, what? :confused:

Waldman says:

This is the political purpose behind Trump’s new push to find some kind of authoritarian solution to homelessness, but only in Democratic-run cities. He wants to rile up his supporters, to get them feeling angry and disgusted so they’ll get to the polls and return him to office as a way to maintain the purity of the country and the places they live. Don’t mistake it for anything else, especially not any kind of concern for those who don’t have housing.
Okay, yeah I get that but here's my thought. I'm concerned about homelessness; is the situation really so bad in many cities? Or how bad is it, #1, and #2, why aren't these Democratic Party run cities doing something about it?

I only know about D.C. where the Mayor has been trying and trying to deal with it, but not to the extent of actually forcing the people building all those new "luxury" apartment buildings on 14th Street to provide some affordable units. In fact, that is probably why there are all these small buildings popping up--large new buildings do have to participate in a program to provide a certain number of affordable units.

What's going on and why are Democratic Party run cities failing and leaving a situation open to Trump's political exploitation?

What Trump’s authoritarian push on homelessness is really about (Washington Post)

MacMadame

Cat Lady-in-Training
Okay, yeah I get that but here's my thought. I'm concerned about homelessness; is the situation really so bad in many cities? Or how bad is it, #1, and #2, why aren't these Democratic Party run cities doing something about it?
We are doing something about it. But it's a complex problem and it got out of hand in 1 or 2 cities before the city government really kicked it into gear so they are "behind the 8 ball" so to speak.
I would say this is true of San Francisco, who is finally addressing the issue in a big way but are very behind. Oakland is also having an issue but they have swung into high gear and are getting a handle on the problem IMO. San Jose, it's harder to say. I think they are making some missteps myself but they are doing things and their problem isn't as big as SF's.

I live in the 4th largest city in the Bay Area and we are being proactive. We just approved a Housing Navigation Center to help the unhoused find permanent housing. It's going to cost over 7 mil for the next 3 years, some of that money coming from a state fund that cities can apply for.

We just broke ground on a new apartment complex with many affordable housing units, too.

Smaller cities in the area are doing things like pledging "no unhoused by 20XX". One of them has a goal of no homeless in 2020 which is less than a year away and they are pretty close to meeting it, too. Of course, they had way less homeless to start with than we did.

The State also just passed a bill to limit large rent increases and to increase protection for renters so they don't get evicted for no reason. They either just passed or are within site of passing a bill to make it easier to build "granny" flats and rent them out.

So it's very much an issue that is being addressed, sometimes with bad ideas (making homelessness illegal) but often with good ideas (tiny houses, HNCs, granny flats).

I think Trump's latest ploy is all about money. Trump's buddies in the for-profit prison business are bumping up against criminal justice reform which eats into their profits. So then Trump helpfully hired them to run concentration camps for asylum seekers. And now that this is running up against the public being appalled and fighting back in the courts, he's going to start concentration camps for homeless people.

It's not about helping homeless people at all. After all, how does rounding people up and putting them in a concentration camp help them get jobs or onto disability or reunited with their families? If Trump really wants to help the homeless, he should stop cutting programs that help people remain in their homes. His plan just puts them out of sight so he can say he did something while "those libs" did not.

ETA that part of what is going on is that homelessness has risen dramatically in the past 2 years, with a record number of people living in RVs. Blasting the Dems for not being able to solve a problem that has just started is just theater IMO. Homelessness has risen about 21% in two years, programs to address that are often less than a year old. To expect the problem to just disappear in that time is ridiculous. So is only complaining about homelessness in "Blue" cities. You know "red" cities have a homeless problem too.

skatesindreams

[
I think Trump's latest ploy is all about money. Trump's buddies in the for-profit prison business are bumping up against criminal justice reform which eats into their profits. So then Trump helpfully hired them to run concentration camps for asylum seekers. And now that this is running up against the public being appalled and fighting back in the courts, he's going to start concentration camps for homeless people.

It's not about helping homeless people at all. After all, how does rounding people up and putting them in a concentration camp help them get jobs or onto disability or reunited with their families? If Trump really wants to help the homeless, he should stop cutting programs that help people remain in their homes. His plan just puts them out of sight so he can say he did something while "those libs" did not.
/QUOTE]

He lacks the empathy and genuine emotion/real compassion that finding actual solutions would require.
If people are on the margins of society; they brought it on themselves and are to blame.

MacMadame

Cat Lady-in-Training
what is a granny flat?
It's usually a standalone building in your backyard where you warehouse your grandmother. ;)

They are also called MIL apartments sometimes. And sometimes they aren't standalone but are a mini-apartment inside a house, often with a separate entrance.

They have some fancy legal name but most of the articles I read about the bill called them granny flats.

Reuven

Official FSU Alte Kacher
Side note - I just got done watching Guiliani's 9/11. Geez. He was so calm and in control and thoughtful. Associating with trump turned him into a raving lunatic.
IIRC, Guiliani thought it a good idea to place the HQ for dealing with terrorism in WTC #7. This was after the 1993 bombing of the WTC.

MacMadame

Cat Lady-in-Training
A granny flat's technical name is: accessory dwelling unit

And this article claims they are all (MIL suite, granny flat, ohana unit, casita) the same thing:

But I tend to think of the MIL suite (or apartment) as being more what BR said... separate living quarters but part of the main house.

once_upon

New condo owner
I'm scared of the future and don't think we can elect a Democrat as President or even maintain control of the House.
I think democracy will be dead in 2020. McConnell is seeing to that. Evil exists as that man.

PrincessLeppard

Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple
Omaha (a purple city) has a pretty terrible homelessness problem, which was exacerbated by moving the only homeless shelter out away from the main part of the city. It's by the airport and I don't even think a bus line goes there. I also just found it's run by a super conservative religious group that actively discriminates against GLBTQ+ people. Gah.

The city did recently build a shelter for veterans that's in a better part of town that isn't run by zealots; it would be nice to see one for everyone with the same parameters.

MacMadame

Cat Lady-in-Training
Omaha (a purple city) has a pretty terrible homelessness problem, which was exacerbated by moving the only homeless shelter out away from the main part of the city.
Ugh, that kind of stuff really both pisses me off and upsets me greatly.

Here in the Bay Area, some cities have responded to this crisis by doing things like making it illegal to feed people on the street or by making it illegal to sleep in your car. It's not only inhuman and disgusting, but it's also not very practical and it's not going to make there be less homeless people.

The root cause of our current homeless crisis is income inequality. You know Trump doesn't want to solve that problem.

MacMadame

Cat Lady-in-Training
The city did recently build a shelter for veterans that's in a better part of town that isn't run by zealots; it would be nice to see one for everyone with the same parameters.
One of the issues with shelters, even ones not run by bigots, is that they can be very restrictive about who or what can be brought in. Many don't allow pets. Or they only allow you to have one bag of "stuff". (And no real place to put it so it often gets stolen.) Or maybe you can come in but your partner can't. Or they fill up so you don't know for sure if you can get in every night. You also aren't free to come and go so if you have a job that doesn't end until later in the evening, you might not be able to get to the shelter before they lock the doors for the night.

They also don't have a mission to get people into permanent housing. They are really just places to sleep so you are out of the elements. Which is necessary, but is not going to solve the problem long term.

once_upon

New condo owner
Omaha (a purple city) has a pretty terrible homelessness problem, which was exacerbated by moving the only homeless shelter out away from the main part of the city. It's by the airport and I don't even think a bus line goes there. I also just found it's run by a super conservative religious group that actively discriminates against GLBTQ+ people. Gah.
And I see the disparity of those going to the homeless shelter on foot walking past our town home and the towers where there is wealth - some more than others. they have to walk pass Gallop campus, which has security roaming the parking lots to ensure that no one hangs around longer than a walk across the campus. Walking to the shelter does not have sidewalks on a large section of the roadway.

I see the canners crossing the Bob Kerrey bridge to turn in cans in Iowa which has the deposit return on cans and bottles. Their transportation is a bike. Last week when I went into church, there was a man who followed me to ask if we knew where he could get a bike to replace the one that was stolen.

The renewal of the gene leahy mall shut down public areas where you could find homeless sleeping under the bridges. The free meal truck no longer has a drop off place since the street has been closed.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
This was my first thought when I read about it. The Grifter-in-Chief grifts again. Onward and upward to steal as much as possible from taxpayers to 2020 and beyond!

I'm sure he probably selected San Francisco as his first choice of cities so he would have repeated opportunities to denigrate Nancy Pelosi the same way he attacked Elijah Cummings. On a funny note, DT spoke in Baltimore today. My friend told me there was a big crowd of protestors downtown to greet him. A lot of them were wearing rat hats and costumes with signs that said things like "the real rat is Trump". She said drivers were honking non-stop when they drove by.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 16, Guests: 9)