Dangers of a Trump Presidency--Part 7

DFJ

Let's not give credit to Bolton on this. Bolton wants an all-out war with Iran. I have no idea what he wanted in Afghanistan but peace was certainly not it. IMO, Trump was right not to listen to him and we are lucky he is gone.
Totally agree with you BR (as usual) but someone is lying here -- wonder who. My usual wish - can't we bring Obama back??!!

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Totally agree with you BR (as usual) but someone is lying here -- wonder who. My usual wish - can't we bring Obama back??!!
Yeah, as for the circumstances of his firing/resignation, mostly, I wouldn't trust either of them, but I think Trump has a bigger track record of lying just to make himself look good.

( @DFJ always so glad to see you here! )

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
oh great so his nominee for acting national security adviser is someone who served for many years on the board of anti-Muslim group. Ugh.

Sparks

I agree with Elizabeth Warren who tweeted this:
"The American people are better off with John Bolton out of the White House. The world will be better off when the man who hired him in the first place is out too."

Susan1

None of his tweets would be complete without at least one. :shuffle:
Yeah, as for the circumstances of his firing/resignation, mostly, I wouldn't trust either of them, but I think Trump has a bigger track record of lying just to make himself look good.

( @DFJ always so glad to see you here! )
Yeah -
"John Bolton contradicted Donald Trump minutes after the president announced he fired Bolton as national security adviser.

ADMIN EDIT: Do not copy and paste the text of entire articles here, especially not without attribution. You may post a brief quotation with a link.

Susan1

2nd post - different subject - more lies:
I like this format. Easy to follow and you don't have to listen to clips or see his face!

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2019/9/9/1884494/-another-rally-PABOTUS-claims-it-s-raining-when-it-isn-t-in-North-Carolina

"@brianstelter
Trump just said there are people in line for his rally and "they are soaking wet." Per CNN's @betsy_klein, "it is 88 and sunny here in Fayetteville. It has not rained here today." "
~~~~~~
Maybe he thought it was raining on every inch of North Carolina (and Alabama)? When he's out of the white house, he can get a job as a "wrong weather" man.

President Trump canceled a planned visit to a neighborhood impacted by Hurricane Dorian in North Carolina due to inclement weather Monday afternoon.

Trump was originally supposed to visit Emerald Isle, an area that was devastated by the recent storm, but the White House said the severe weather would prevent Trump from taking a helicopter or motorcade through the neighborhood Monday afternoon.

Trump instead received a briefing on the hurricane aboard Air Force One. He was told by North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper (D) that the state had experienced three deaths due to the hurricane but that the damage was less severe than other recent storms.

“We were going to take a helicopter to Emerald Isle, North Carolina, which was hit very, very hard. Atlantic Beach was hit very hard. Certain areas were very hit,” Trump said during the briefing. “

Didn’t bring enough paper towels?

MacMadame

Cat Lady-in-Training
oh great so his nominee for acting national security adviser is someone who served for many years on the board of anti-Muslim group. Ugh.
And this is the problem most of the time when Trump fires someone problematic. The replacement is usually much, much worse.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Meanwhile Mitch McConnell says "he was waiting on the White House to craft a bill Trump would sign, arguing everything else surrounding the gun debate was “theatrics.” "

"Theatrics" is Mitch McConnell's term for democracy apparently. Basically his argument is that only the president should put forward legislation and then I guess Congress should rubber stamp this. Of course what he wants people to hear is that the Democrats are playing games or something. Yes, its a game for the House to pass serious legislation to address gun massacres and send it to the Senate for consideration.

IMO, Mitch McConnell's sole goal as Majority leader of the Senate is to destroy the US political system and replace it with a rightwing authoritarian regime.

mag

“...Even now, almost a thousand days into his presidency, the latest Trump outrage elicits shock and disbelief in people. The reaction is, “Can you believe he said that and did this?”

To which my response is, “Why are you surprised?” It’s a shock only if the assumption is that we’re dealing with a psychologically normal human being. We’re not. Trump is profoundly compromised, acting just as you would imagine a person with a disordered personality would. Many Americans haven’t yet come to terms with the fact that we elected as president a man who is deeply damaged, an emotional misfit. But it would be helpful if they did.

Among other things, it would keep us feeling less startled and disoriented, less in a state of constant agitation, less susceptible to provocations. Donald Trump thrives on creating chaos, on gaslighting us, on creating antipathy among Americans, on keeping people on edge and off balance. He wants to dominate our every waking hour. We ought not grant him that power over us...”

ballettmaus

Great post, but what/who was the nefarious power behind Hitler? I thought he was acting independently.
The man behind Hitler was Goebbels, his propaganda minister (yes, that was his job title). I've heard that he was the brains behind it all. I don't know how true it is because Hitler was plenty intelligent himself but Goebbels knew how to use propaganda and without it, Hitler wouldn't have been able to do what he did the way he did it.

To which my response is, “Why are you surprised?” It’s a shock only if the assumption is that we’re dealing with a psychologically normal human being. We’re not. Trump is profoundly compromised, acting just as you would imagine a person with a disordered personality would. Many Americans haven’t yet come to terms with the fact that we elected as president a man who is deeply damaged, an emotional misfit. But it would be helpful if they did.
I have phases when it comes to Trump and I'm currently back in the phase when I'm so tired of articles that he's not well. Really? Yes, it needs to be repeated but I thought we reached the conclusion a long time ago. How about inciting the public and using your journalistic power to help get that man out of office instead of stating the obvious?

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I have phases when it comes to Trump and I'm currently back in the phase when I'm so tired of articles that he's not well. Really? Yes, it needs to be repeated but I thought we reached the conclusion a long time ago. How about inciting the public and using your journalistic power to help get that man out of office instead of stating the obvious?
Its blindingly obvious, but most of the establishment keeps acting like Trump is a normal president, so yes people need to keep writing it. OTOH, it doesn't matter to the Republican establishment at all as long as they are getting their judges and keeping gun control legislation off the table, so ultimately what difference does it make one way or another, I don't know.

I'm at a point that however dangerous it would be, I am beginning to think the only hope is for Trump to have a complete break with sanity in front of the TV cameras, like pulling his pants down or something no one can deny shows he's mentally deranged. Otherwise the people who profit from the pretense that he's fine will go right on smirking and ignoring the obvious.

mag

@ballettmaus the article above, posted by @skatesindreams is why people need to keep banging the drum on Trump’s mental illness. It is a good article, but at its core, it assumes a basically rational man is president. He may be unorthodox, but he is not melting down in front of us. The facts say something different. Reports leaked from the White House say something different. That article completely ignores, or at least treats as semi normal, that a senior official would be fired by tweet, not to mention a hundred others things around Bolton’s departure are simply not normal.

As long as reporters continue to try to make the narrative seem coherent, there is danger. Trump is not playing chess, heck he can’t even play go fish, and probably never has been able to. Reporters need to stop using their writing skills to unwittingly make it sound like there is some rational plan.

MacMadame

Cat Lady-in-Training
Its blindingly obvious, but most of the establishment keeps acting like Trump is a normal president, so yes people need to keep writing it. OTOH, it doesn't matter to the Republican establishment at all as long as they are getting their judges and keeping gun control legislation off the table, so ultimately what difference does it make one way or another, I don't know.
It needs to keep being said so that people don't start to regard this behavior as normal. It is shocking behavior. It may not be shocking that Trump is behaving this way but the behavior itself is not normal and is shocking.

If we shrug and say "it's Trump, what do you expect?" then we are normalizing his craziness IMO.

caseyedwards

I'm at a point that however dangerous it would be, I am beginning to think the only hope is for Trump to have a complete break with sanity in front of the TV cameras, like pulling his pants down or something no one can deny shows he's mentally deranged. Otherwise the people who profit from the pretense that he's fine will go right on smirking and ignoring the obvious.
They don’t act like trump is a normal president they just haven’t done impeachment and removal or 25th amendment removal because he won the electoral college so it would be anti democratic to remove him! Even if he really didn’t win at all or whatever no one in the Obama administration did anything about trump when they could have arrested him

PrincessLeppard

Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple
His supporters, those that are left, keep talking about how they didn't elect him "to be a politician," so the fact that he lacks empathy just doesn't matter to them. So if he did drop his pants, they'd probably be all "ha ha what a joker, look at him triggering the libs."

I dunno. I watch some very intelligent friends post this nonsense. It's disheartening. (Which is why I agree with @BlueRidge that most Trump supporters aren't stupid. In denial, maybe. Willing to overlook some disgusting shit for their tax cuts and guns. But not stupid.)

rfisher

Let the skating begin
His supporters, those that are left, keep talking about how they didn't elect him "to be a politician," so the fact that he lacks empathy just doesn't matter to them. So if he did drop his pants, they'd probably be all "ha ha what a joker, look at him triggering the libs."

I dunno. I watch some very intelligent friends post this nonsense. It's disheartening. (Which is why I agree with @BlueRidge that most Trump supporters aren't stupid. In denial, maybe. Willing to overlook some disgusting shit for their tax cuts and guns. But not stupid.)
Because they haven't been personally impacted. Take money from the poor? Not a problem unless it's your benefits (such as social security which becomes a big issue the closer you get to it). Immigrants? They don't care until there's nobody doing the hard/dirty work of food processing and prices go up. Gun violence? That happens to other people. As long as it's someone else being impacted they'll keep supporting even when they are being impacted but they haven't yet realized that fact. People have a remarkable ability to ignore the elephant in the room until it stomps them on the foot, knocks down the walls, and grabs all the peanuts on its way out. Then they wonder what happened.

Susan1

It needs to keep being said so that people don't start to regard this behavior as normal. It is shocking behavior. It may not be shocking that Trump is behaving this way but the behavior itself is not normal and is shocking.

If we shrug and say "it's Trump, what do you expect?" then we are normalizing his craziness IMO.
Side note - I just got done watching Guiliani's 9/11. Geez. He was so calm and in control and thoughtful. Associating with trump turned him into a raving lunatic.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
It sounds like Trump's supporters are like him in lacking empathy.

I still think there are a lot of people out there who are just held in a cult-like way by the rightwing media drumbeats, even if they themselves don't consume it, others who do transmit it to them.

I mean how can people be so obsessed with people who differ politically from them that their go to when the president does something is "look at how the liberals are reacting!" This is where I see it as people who have become so taken in and basically addicted to emotional kicks that they can't even see reality anymore.

Even if you want tax cuts and other stuff, it still matters that a president be competent and not deranged, but when you get to the point you don't think that matters or have blinded yourself to it, there's a lot more going on than "as long as I get my tax cuts."

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
The only people who pay attention to the articles about Trump and his incompetence are those who are against him. His support base don't care. They just think that he is being victimised and picked on. Which just makes them support him even more.

Anytime anyone does something he doesn't like, he takes the "you are either for me or against me" approach. Look at how he reacted to Fox News giving Democrats a forum. He started saying they were going gaga and taking drugs (well not those words but you get what I mean). Again it panders to the support base.

canbelto

The few Trump supporters I know love his lack of empathy. They say he "keeps it real" and wishes he would use more racial slurs and do crueler things. It's like this high they get.

caseyedwards

It sounds like Trump's supporters are like him in lacking empathy.

I still think there are a lot of people out there who are just held in a cult-like way by the rightwing media drumbeats, even if they themselves don't consume it, others who do transmit it to them.

I mean how can people be so obsessed with people who differ politically from them that their go to when the president does something is "look at how the liberals are reacting!" This is where I see it as people who have become so taken in and basically addicted to emotional kicks that they can't even see reality anymore.

Even if you want tax cuts and other stuff, it still matters that a president be competent and not deranged, but when you get to the point you don't think that matters or have blinded yourself to it, there's a lot more going on than "as long as I get my tax cuts."
Look at what was considered competent in the past 20 or 30 years! This was sometimes both the republican and Democratic establishments: Iraq war, Afghanistan war, nafta, MFN for China, repealing Wall Street regulations etc etc!!!

So there were people running considered great smart competent people who had platforms of all extreme disasters.

judiz

My facebook friends who support Trump have the response whenever I post something stupid that Trump said or did
“he’s better than Hillary”

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Medvedeva, T&M, Shibs, P&C
The few Trump supporters I know love his lack of empathy. They say he "keeps it real" and wishes he would use more racial slurs and do crueler things. It's like this high they get.
I pity them.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
This from Justice Sotomayor's dissent in the Supreme Court decision to allow the Trump Admin to deny asylum seekers had me thinking.

“Once again the Executive Branch has issued a rule that seeks to upend longstanding practices regarding refugees who seek shelter from persecution,” Sotomayor wrote.

“Although this Nation has long kept its doors open to refugees — and although the stakes for asylum seekers could not be higher — the Government implemented its rule without first providing the public notice and inviting the public input generally required by law.”

So often it seems the Trump administration and Republicans in Congress are eager to dismantle long standing policies and institutions. I just wonder where will this end?

I see the end game coming after the Democrats win back the White House. Its almost like a trap. Republicans likely led by Mitch McConnell will then block everything and force Democrats to choose between accomplishing none of the things that are vital for the country, or for Democrats to over-ride longstanding processes and institutions to get things done. Thus doing the Republicans work for them.

(This already began under Obama with his turning to Executive Orders to circumvent Congressional obstructionism and Democrats removing the 60 vote threshold for lower court appointments.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 17, Guests: 10)