Dangers of a Trump Presidency--Part 7

caseyedwards

But the Taliban have defeated the United States and it’s not even close. So it’s time for America to leave or sue for peace or something

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
sorry double post more on the Trump attempt at a new Camp David Accord from Jennifer Rubin who has smoke coming out her ears on this one: Trump’s invitation to the Taliban was disgraceful. So was Republican silence about it.

Among other things she says it essentially was an attempt that would "elevate the Taliban to the same level as the president of the United States."

..Democrats should explain that while a negotiated settlement of the war in Afghanistan — or an end to North Korea’s missile program or any other conflict — is ideal, having the president extend his stature to enemies with no preordained outcome only enhances our enemies and diminishes our own leverage.
My thought is that Trump has heard about how Jimmy Carter made lasting fame for himself with the Camp David Accords in 1978 and he saw an opportunity so he thought to grab that kind of everlasting stardom and acclaim for himself. Of course, he clearly has no idea what the 1978 Camp David Accords were, nor I suspect, exactly what the Taliban is either.

or maybe it was just another one of his "jokes" that liberals just don't get. :rolleyes:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Medvedeva, T&M, Shibs, P&C

caseyedwards

United States is being very bitter and angry about being defeated by the Taliban in The war. Of course they need to be talked to as equals. They defeated the whole US military even as it used MOABs. So Taliban needs to be respected for its defeat of the United States. Eventually the Vietnamese communists were respected and presidents went to Vietnam. The president must be involved. No one can believe a deal is possible with the extraordinary disrespect being shown if the defeated countries leader isn’t a part of talks

Last edited:

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
sorry double post more on the Trump attempt at a new Camp David Accord from Jennifer Rubin who has smoke coming out her ears on this one: Trump’s invitation to the Taliban was disgraceful. So was Republican silence about it.

Among other things she says it essentially was an attempt that would "elevate the Taliban to the same level as the president of the United States."

My thought is that Trump has heard about how Jimmy Carter made lasting fame for himself with the Camp David Accords in 1978 and he saw an opportunity so he thought to grab that kind of everlasting stardom and acclaim for himself. Of course, he clearly has no idea what the 1978 Camp David Accords were, nor I suspect, exactly what the Taliban is either.

or maybe it was just another one of his "jokes" that liberals just don't get. :rolleyes:
To add, Trump wants you to know he didn't talk to anyone about making the decision to cancel the talks. He talked to himself. Very reassuring...

“I took my own advice,” Trump said of scrapping the secret plan. “We had a meeting scheduled. It was my idea, and it was my idea to terminate it. I didn’t even ... I didn’t discuss it with anybody else.”
(Quoted by The Guardian)

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
A couple of things worth noting about Social Security from this column by Henry Aaron who is a long-time expert at the Brookings Institution.

He references information on the SSA website that he recommends everyone read: https://www.ssa.gov/OACT/solvency/provisions/index.html

The report also shows how far apart the two parties are on how to deal with Social Security’s long-run funding challenge. Democrats in the House have proposed increasing payroll taxes enough to close the long-run funding gap and to raise benefits. House Republicans would cut benefits enough to close the long-run funding gap and cut taxes as well. Of course, there are other options in between.
You can support doing it either way, depending on whether your priority is providing an adequate income to the elderly or cutting taxes. You can decide with your votes.

Here's the Trump part:

According to recent reports, President Trump might propose cuts to the program’s payroll taxes to offset a feared economic slowdown. The media failed to note that doing so would deepen the long-term gap in Social Security financing by draining funds from the trust fund that supports benefits.
So basically Trump would screw it up whether you want to take the Democratic route or the Republican route to closing the long-run funding gap. Who wants to bet Congressional Republicans won't say so though. :shuffle:

Why everyone should care about this report on Social Security (Washington Post)

aftershocks

Yes like the guy in I think Washington State? who was arrested for making threats including that he wanted to "exterminate all Hispanics."

ETA: found an article https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/neo-nazi-eric-lin-threatened-to-exterminate-miami-hispanics-fbi-says-11247579?fbclid=IwAR3B5qstSBo_ldtOuxC3Iw32TOHOPGcWPeh3GpZJUAs_bqWGzqMVHQlVWp4

These are dangerous times, yet, as my sister puts it, "people just keep staring at their phones, chewing gum, and buying guns. just another day."
These times frighteningly seem to be similar to the rise of Hitler and fascism in the early 1930s. A lot of people were okay with what was happening then. Or they preferred to ignore it, appease it, accept it, or wish it would simply go away. Too many people were charmed by Hitler, and/or gave in easily to his demands and to his continued betrayal of promises and agreements... Sadly, there's always a nefarious power behind it all (even behind Hitler). IOW strings being pulled/orchestrated behind the scenes.

aftershocks

Zemgirl said:
:lol: Thusly, the caption for the below should probably read: "We see eye-to-eye..." ;)

I wouldn't worry about Eric and Don, Jr. ever fulfilling that one. :shuffle:
Exactly. Although probably it's 'security clearance' Ivanka and hubby who are dreaming of maintaining a grasp on the Oval Office/ WH, third-world country dictatorship style...

Thumbs up! Reminds me of the 'protest Trump Admin' fiber art exhibit that was shown at the New England Quilt Museum in the fall of 2017. A book was later published (which I posted about previously in the Resistance thread here): https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35487223-threads-of-resistance

Just a few images of the protest art:
https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-dvmf7XjU8BY/WTqMQb6hsPI/AAAAAAAASSo/DTY1xh1F2H4yQegMBjdrEpDA0idzS2-iQCK4B/s1600/CatalogCover.jpg

https://fullercraft.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Threads-of-Resistance.jpg

http://handeyemagazine.com/sites/default/files/styles/blog_main_carousel__620x475_/public/perez.jpg?itok=ln96OCB2

http://handeyemagazine.com/sites/default/files/styles/blog_main_carousel__620x475_/public/la-flamme_notnormal_overall_7.jpg?it D**n straight!

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site55/2017/0713/20170713_091010_galleries-1-7-13.jpg "And yet she persisted" is stitched into the Warren fiber image

http://handeyemagazine.com/sites/default/files/styles/blog_main_carousel__620x475_/public/york.jpg?itok

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-qeFi8gjggRI/WXC-sFoAkEI/AAAAAAAACnE/1X_4PVD3w0o_q_xhTloe1M0bFMGX4xkOQCEwYBhgL/s1600/alleyway_detail10.JPG

Last edited:

Vash01

These times frighteningly seem to be similar to the rise of Hitler and fascism in the early 1930s. A lot of people were okay with what was happening then. Or they preferred to ignore it, appease it, accept it, or wish it would simply go away. Too many people were charmed by Hitler, and/or gave in easily to his demands and to his continued betrayal of promises and agreements... Sadly, there's always a nefarious power behind it all (even behind Hitler). IOW strings being pulled/orchestrated behind the scenes.
Great post, but what/who was the nefarious power behind Hitler? I thought he was acting independently.

aftershocks

Great post, but what/who was the nefarious power behind Hitler? I thought he was acting independently.
Same as with Trump, Hitler could never have accomplished what he did without funding, benefactors, supporters, appeasers, acolytes, apologists, and wealthy opportunists (whether or not they all truly understood or agreed with his ultimate aims). While not specifically about Hitler, the below 1996 documentary outlines cautionary aspects of how the world has been run by the powerful from the beginning of time...

Additional interesting compilations:

Also,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3bn24qdZ7c Only Jeb didn't become Prez; hmmm, I suppose the wealthy interests took some of the contrarian & clueless populist mood of the people into consideration, plus Jeb didn't perform well enough and GWB's reign with Cheney had tainted the Bush name, plus maybe it was felt Trump could be controlled. Who knows, lots of factors must be involved. Not everything goes as planned. Whatever it was, TPTB did not want Hillary/a woman/ the Clintons in the WH again.

Last edited:

Vash01

He could never have accomplished what he did without funding, benefactors, supporters, appeasers, acolytes, and wealthy opportunists (whether or not they all truly understood or agreed with his ultimate aims). While not specifically about Hitler, the below 1996 documentary outlines cautionary aspects of how the world has been run by the powerful from the beginning of time...
Thanks. I will try to watch it tomorrow.

In the present situation, I would consider the Republican Party, NRA, Koch brothers, etc. the nefarious influences.

aftershocks

Thanks. I will try to watch it tomorrow.

In the present situation, I would consider the Republican Party, NRA, Koch brothers, etc. the nefarious influences.
Yes, it's a long video, but well worth taking a look at and judging for oneself. And right, the additional articles/ video I included in my previous post mention other rich families, including Bushes, Rockefellers, Rothschilds, Waltons, et al. Koch brothers are on some of these lists as well... Republican interests are a big part of it. But let's not kid ourselves that some of these wealthy families don't also fund Democrats. In fact, the documentary points out how both sides in wars have been funded by the same wealthy interests because it's all about the bottom line and not about scruples. Hopefully, in the end good will balance out evil.

Last edited:

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Interesting look at the possible implications of some of the Trump administrations recent actions from Paul Krugman:
How Democracy Dies, American-Style (NY Times)

Now, according to The Wall Street Journal, the Justice Department is considering bringing an antitrust action against those companies, as if agreeing on environmental standards were a crime comparable to, say, price-fixing.

And it’s also clear evidence that the Justice Department has been thoroughly corrupted. In less than three years it has been transformed from an agency that tries to enforce the law to an organization dedicated to punishing Trump’s opponents.

Who’s next? In at least two cases, Trump appears to have tried to use his power to punish Amazon, whose founder, Jeff Bezos, owns The Washington Post, which the president considers (like this newspaper) to be an enemy. First he pushed for an increase in the post office’s package shipping rates, which would hurt Amazon’s delivery costs; then the Pentagon suddenly announced that it was re-examining the process for awarding a huge cloud-computing project that Amazon was widely expected to win.
He notes that the administration and its supporters have not previously shown any interest in anti-trust actions. Its interesting to note that some rightwing members of Congress are now interested in anti-trust actions against "Silicon Valley" tech companies like Google. And they are pretty straight forward that their reason is that they see these companies as politically liberal. So it fits the pattern even though in the case of companies like Google and Facebook anti-trust action is called for.

Now of course Trump supporters will squirm and squeal that this is a total misrepresentation of what is happening. I'd say to them think again. You might lose next year's election and there's no guarantee that a Democratic adminstration that believes climate change is an emergency that must be addressed by whatever means necessary won't build on the anti-democratic actions the Trump administation is pioneering.

DFJ

by tweet, including a falsehood...

I'm glad Bolton is gone, but fear who will be appointed next

Bolton is an extreme warmonger, that Trump didn't agree with him is a good thing.
Apparently Trump was also pissed that Bolton didn't think having the Taliban at Camp David 3 days before 911 was such a great idea. What a clueless group of people.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Apparently Trump was also pissed that Bolton didn't think having the Taliban at Camp David 3 days before 911 was such a great idea. What a clueless group of people.
Let's not give credit to Bolton on this. Bolton wants an all-out war with Iran. I have no idea what he wanted in Afghanistan but peace was certainly not it. IMO, Trump was right not to listen to him and we are lucky he is gone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 17, Guests: 12)