Dangers of a Trump Presidency--Part 7

Reuven

Official FSU Alte Kacher
She was first diagnosed with pancreatic cancer several years ago. Without more information, this is not news.
Is it pancreatic cancer? or is it a malignant tumor ON the pancreas? The report says there are no traces of malignancy after removal of the tumor. Pancreatic cancer is usually incurable. Any medical types on the board who can provide info?

Vagabond

White House insists Trump not having second thoughts on China trade war
At a breakfast meeting with the British prime minister, Boris Johnson, Trump was asked if he was rethinking his decision to escalate tariffs against China.

He replied: “Yeah, sure. Why not?”

Asked again, he repeated: “Might as well. Might as well … I have second thoughts about everything.”

White House spokeswoman Stephanie Grisham, however, said the president’s “answer has been greatly misinterpreted.

“President Trump responded in the affirmative – because he regrets not raising the tariffs higher.”
:duh: :rolleyes: 🤷‍♂️

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
Is it pancreatic cancer? or is it a malignant tumor ON the pancreas? The report says there are no traces of malignancy after removal of the tumor. Pancreatic cancer is usually incurable. Any medical types on the board who can provide info?
The article said a tumor on the pancreas with no signs of malignancy elsewhere. The five year survival rate for pancreatic cancer (primary cancer) is 7-9%. There are some procedures that have some success, and I have taken care of patients who are 20+ years out of a pancreatic cancer diagnosis. I wish her well and good health.

flyushka

So the type of pancreatic cancer that is most common and what we most often think about when talking pancreatic cancer is adenocarcinoma of the pancreas. As we all know this is very often rapidly fatal, though the reason for this is that it's hard to detect in its early stages and is usually found only when it's in a very advanced stage and often not resectable. The usual sign that you think about is a patient who comes in with painless jaundice; i.e. the first sign is often not any kind of pain or discomfort, but a more subtle gradual yellowing of the skin. By this time, the tumor is blocking the bile ducts and possibly has invaded the liver already, or even the large vessels in the abdomen.

Sometimes if a patient is lucky their tumor might be discovered incidentally before this happens, say with a CT done for some other reason. That tumor would be much easier to remove and that person would have a much better chance at survival. There are also several other kinds of pancreatic tumors, both of the exocrine and endocrine variety. Some have a good prognosis. Mets from other places in the body, or something like melanoma can affect the pancreas as well.

I don't know about RBG's case but from the CNN article it mentioned it was discovered via "a routine blood test" which I am guessing would be bilirubin, and that she was treated with a bile duct stent and the tumor seems to have been totally resected. I suppose she was being carefully watched since she had pancreatic cancer before.

canbelto

Well whatever the case is I pray for RBG. The country needs her so much right now. And not just because she's a SCOTUS justice. She's an amazing role model for so many people. Also: she's a huge opera buff. There's been many times she's quietly traveled to NY just to hear an opera or concert.

Jot the Dot Dot

Headstrong Buzzard
The case against tariffs/protectionism, and in favor of free trade, is very simple: It is every person's right to engage in peaceful transactions of commerce with whomever they want. Trump tweeted that, "The United States has been losing, for many years, 600 to 800 million dollars a year on trade. Sorry, we're not going to be doing that anymore". I imagine I have a 'trade deficit' with the local grocers: None of them have ever 'bought' anything from me, and certainly not to the tune of several thousand $s per year! The mindset that buying stuff cheaper than you can make it somehow 'exploits' the buyer, is a mercantalist fantasy that was disproven by economists from Adam Smith onward.

caseyedwards

Um... she didn't. Queen Margrethe was shocked by Trump's decidedly not normal behavior.

Also, she's a ceremonial head of state. What exactly would you have her do, insert herself into policy decisions and government? A visit like this was aimed at achieving certain goals, and her role is to facilitate it.

It's not Queen Margrethe who's at fault here.
It’s just I know trump is president of US and everything but there’s no reason for a state visit now just like after googling
The case against tariffs/protectionism, and in favor of free trade, is very simple: It is every person's right to engage in peaceful transactions of commerce with whomever they want. Trump tweeted that, "The United States has been losing, for many years, 600 to 800 million dollars a year on trade. Sorry, we're not going to be doing that anymore". I imagine I have a 'trade deficit' with the local grocers: None of them have ever 'bought' anything from me, and certainly not to the tune of several thousand $s per year! The mindset that buying stuff cheaper than you can make it somehow 'exploits' the buyer, is a mercantalist fantasy that was disproven by economists from Adam Smith onward.
Too many Americans feel they didn’t choose this though! That yes they buy all their shoes and clothes from China because that’s what sells cheaper at wal mart or wherever but there was never a bill that made this explicit!

Jot the Dot Dot

Headstrong Buzzard
Too many Americans feel they didn’t choose this though! That yes they buy all their shoes and clothes from China because that’s what sells cheaper at wal mart or wherever but there was never a bill that made this explicit!
There was a price tag. And there was that little 'Made In China' tag on such items. Are you saying American consumers don't know how to read these, or how to put two-and-two together? The bottom line is, let each individual consumer make their own choices.

caseyedwards

There was a price tag. And there was that little 'Made In China' tag on such items. Are you saying American consumers don't know how to read these, or how to put two-and-two together? The bottom line is, let each individual consumer make their own choices.
They went to stores they already knew and bought stuff there! They weren’t reading the tags made in China. They only started reading the tags when all the factories going out of business already happened! It was too late!

ballettmaus

According to this, Trump asked if they could nuke/bomb hurricanes. https://www.axios.com/trump-nuclear-bombs-hurricanes-97231f38-2394-4120-a3fa-8c9cf0e3f51c.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=twsocialshare&utm_campaign=organic

I'm not sure why they need to mention that it had already come up in the Eisenhower era like that makes it all normal. Science has come a long way since then, the world has seen the effects of radiation, and I don't think any person should ever suggest using a nuclear bomb and releasing radiation into the air unless it's a last resort. (Although, I don't think anyone should have nuclear bombs to begin with but that's a different subject matter).

ballettmaus

Trump allies are attempting to silence Trump critics in the media by releasing potentially damaging information about journalists. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/25/us/politics/trump-allies-news-media.html

A loose network of conservative operatives allied with the White House is pursuing what they say will be an aggressive operation to discredit news organizations deemed hostile to President Trump by publicizing damaging information about journalists.
But the material publicized so far, while in some cases stripped of context or presented in misleading ways, has proved authentic, and much of it has been professionally harmful to its targets.

caseyedwards

The problem is that Trump allies are using them (in an attempt) to silence Trump critics and in doing so, threaten the free press.
So what’s the plan for dealing with trump critics with racist tweets? They are fine until a democrat is elected president and then they are dealt with?

ballettmaus

Trump stands to benefit if the Fed lowers interest rates. https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trumps-company-could-save-millions-if-interest-rates-fall-as-he-demands/2019/08/24/5e5df684-c5a9-11e9-b5e4-54aa56d5b7ce_story.html

President Trump stands to save millions of dollars annually in interest on outstanding loans on his hotels and resorts if the Federal Reserve lowers rates as he has been demanding, according to public filings and financial experts.

The payments on all four properties vary with interest rate changes, according to Trump’s official financial disclosures. That means he has already benefited from falling interest rates that were spurred in part by a cut the Federal Reserve announced in July, the first in more than a decade — and his payments could drop by millions of dollars more annually if the central bank grants Trump’s wish and further lowers short-term rates, experts said.

caseyedwards

Trump being the president is a choice Washington is making! If they think he wants interest rates lower to enrich himself they can impeach trump today

caseyedwards

Danger of a Trump Presidency No. 26: Trump tells Republicans he may begin cutting social security and Medicare if he wins in 2020

The attentive reader will recall that he ran for President last time around on the promised that there would be no cuts to Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid. (See this tweet.) I question whether he could even have gotten the nomination, let alone won the election, otherwise.
If people want to reduce the deficit it’s time for Americans to stop being the most undertaxed people in the world!!!! Rich and poor both. Ridiculously undertaxed.

ballettmaus

Trump wants to host next year's G7 at his Doral golf club in Florida. He claims his staff just happened to have found it to be the best location/resort. https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-sings-the-praises-of-his-resort-in-florida-as-g-7-host-for-2020/2019/08/26/17409c1e-c7ea-11e9-8067-196d9f17af68_story.html

And I bet there'll be a "surprise" guest in the form of Putin.

Trump's trade war and tax cuts are contributing to a possible recession. https://edition.cnn.com/2019/08/23/business/recession-trade-war-tax-cuts/index.html

Jot the Dot Dot

Headstrong Buzzard
If people want to reduce the deficit it’s time for Americans to stop being the most undertaxed people in the world!!!! Rich and poor both. Ridiculously undertaxed.
Uh, no. Phase out all Corporate Welfare , all tax-supported grants, loans and bail-outs to private business, as I have been advocating for years. What are people who call themselves Liberal doing wanting the government to steal from the poor and give to the rich? What are people who call themselves Conservative doing supporting measures that are even more absurd than Marx's Dictum, in effect saying "From Each According To His Ability, To Each Regardless Of Need"?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 7, Guests: 4)