Dangers of a Trump Presidency--Part 7

mag

So I wonder if Trump Org. will lead the way and immediately stop doing business with China?

caseyedwards

Both parties act as though they want to create an economic panic.
Ugh!
I view it as a welcome reckoning for everyone in America basically agreeing to give China lots of formerly American industries and business in exchange for cheaper goods to buy at wal mart while they pretended to care about buying American and “made in America”

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
“Our great American companies are hereby ordered to immediately start looking for an alternative to China, including bringing your companies HOME and making your products in the USA,”
so says Trump, in his silly way of expressing himself ridiculously.

The US Chamber of Commerce says:

"The U.S. business community has for many years called out the lack of progress in addressing China’s unfair trade practices. The U.S. Chamber has been on the front lines of efforts to resolve these challenges through negotiation and encouraging tough action by the United States government. Despite our concerns, the 40-year old trade relationship between our two countries has been for the most part productive, constructive, and mutually beneficial. U.S. companies have been ambassadors for positive changes to the Chinese economy that continue to benefit both our people.

"While we share the President’s frustration, we believe that continued, constructive engagement is the right way forward. Time is of the essence. We do not want to see a further deterioration of US-China relations. We urge the administration and the government of China to return to the negotiating table to complete an agreement that addresses concerns over technology transfer practices, intellectual property enforcement, market access, and the globally damaging impact of Chinese domestic subsidies."
Trump distracts people from the actual issues, our economic and political relationship with China, as usual by saying something ridiculous as if he can order US corporations around, but its a complex issue despite Trump. I wonder what some of the more economic nationalist Democrats have to say.

Trump is not handling the situation in a way that is likely to produce constructive actions, but what should our economic relationship with China be? Should we be trying to bring manufacturing back to the US? Should US companies do business in China when they may be abetting things like the mass detention in Xinjiang province?

Its unfortunate that in the age of Trump nuance is overwhelmed by farcical tweets.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Ruth Bader Ginsberg apparently has pancreatic cancer. This is not good on so many levels. May the Universe be with her.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Ruth Bader Ginsberg apparently has pancreatic cancer. This is not good on so many levels. May the Universe be with her.
Two people I know have in the past year been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. They both died within just a few months.

My thoughts are with Judge Ginsburg but there is not a lot of hope if this is what she is facing.

skatesindreams

Two people I know have in the past year been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. They both died within just a few months.

My thoughts are with Judge Ginsburg but there is not a lot of hope if this is what she is facing.
Latest update:

Susan1

Isn't that what Alex Trebek had/has? He is a lot younger though.

Vagabond

She was first diagnosed with pancreatic cancer several years ago. Without more information, this is not news.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
A statement was released by the Supreme Court that she was treated this month for a new occurrence of pancreatic cancer.

In a statement, the Supreme Court said Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg was treated this month for “a localized malignant tumor” and that there’s no evidence of disease elsewhere in her body.

caseyedwards

so says Trump, in his silly way of expressing himself ridiculously.

The US Chamber of Commerce says:

Trump distracts people from the actual issues, our economic and political relationship with China, as usual by saying something ridiculous as if he can order US corporations around, but its a complex issue despite Trump. I wonder what some of the more economic nationalist Democrats have to say.

Trump is not handling the situation in a way that is likely to produce constructive actions, but what should our economic relationship with China be? Should we be trying to bring manufacturing back to the US? Should US companies do business in China when they may be abetting things like the mass detention in Xinjiang province?

Its unfortunate that in the age of Trump nuance is overwhelmed by farcical tweets.
Both parties were moving toward TPP. That was supposed to be anti China by making moving American jobs to other pacific rim countries more attractive! It stalled very badly because it’s anti china function was overshadowed by the lack of protection for Americans

ballettmaus

I find the tone of your posts about her quite odd; just because she is not posting on a thread like this or absorbed in the minutiae of Trump behavior does not mean that Queen Margrethe is "living under a rock" or that there is something wrong about her reaction to having a state visit cancelled in such a bizarre manner.
I'm tired of leaders and heads of state acting like Trump is normal. He's not. I don't know if I've said it here or elsewhere but German sports commentators often praise a soccer teams for their past record long after the team itself has completely changed. They judge the team according to the past record and not what the players show on the lawn. I've yet to come across a head of state who isn't responding to Trump in the same way. They seem to look at the country, rather then the man himself and therefore, they normalize and enable him.

I hope that you find a way of preserving this post and read it again when you are in your late seventies, as the Queen of Denmark is now. You may look at a lot of things, including the attitudes you have now, in a very different way from how you do now.
I'm not sure what you're saying. That old people can't keep up with current news events anymore? My granddads beg to differ.
That aside, she is the Queen of Denmark. She invited Trump for a state visit, so I expect her to know who this man she invited is and what he stands for. I'm also sure she has staff who brief her on what she needs to know.

The whole conversation is weird to me. We know Queen Margrethe didn't just tweet something out at 3 am in her bathrobe like a certain person we know... I'm sure she chose her words carefully in order to both get across her point but also not ruin future relations with our county.
Why would she be ruining anything? Trump's the one who acts like a child and throws temper tantrums.

What Trump did is shocking. Just because we are no longer surprised when he does something shocking doesn't make it less of a faux pas on his part.
I don't think it's shocking. I think do think it's not normal, though, because Trump isn't normal but I feel that by saying the Queen is shocked, she normalizes Trump. (Because a normal person wouldn't have done it).

What exactly does @ballettmaus want her to have said? Something like "Well, I'd say I'm surprised but it is Trump after all" That doesn't seem to be me to be particularly diplomatic or helpful.
Why does it need to be helpful? Who does it help to treat Trump like he's a normal President?

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
so now Trump has said he will retaliate against China's move to raise tariffs on US goods by raising tariffs on Chinese goods.

And then what? We all learned that this kind of trade war led to the Great Depression. Well except for Trump I guess.

The US-China economic relationship is on balance positive for both countries. There are lots of problems that must be addressed but simply blowing up that relationship isn't really a good idea. But I don't think Trump is capable of anything more than reactive pique. We will all pay the price.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I really understand why Trump's business plan has always been to run a business into the ground, declare bankruptcy, take what money he could and let everyone else deal with the mess he left behind. The art of the deal. Except the business this time is the US government.

caseyedwards

so now Trump has said he will retaliate against China's move to raise tariffs on US goods by raising tariffs on Chinese goods.

And then what? We all learned that this kind of trade war led to the Great Depression. Well except for Trump I guess.

The US-China economic relationship is on balance positive for both countries. There are lots of problems that must be addressed but simply blowing up that relationship isn't really a good idea. But I don't think Trump is capable of anything more than reactive pique. We will all pay the price.
China has no incentive to make any changes on anything because they have only won for like 40 years now!!

ballettmaus

I really understand why Trump's business plan has always been to run a business into the ground, declare bankruptcy, take what money he could and let everyone else deal with the mess he left behind. The art of the deal. Except the business this time is the US government.
Each time this comes up, I have to think about his promise to run the government like his business and that it looks like this is the only promise he's keeping. :(

Prancer

Your Overlord
Staff member
I'm tired of leaders and heads of state acting like Trump is normal. He's not. I don't know if I've said it here or elsewhere but German sports commentators often praise a soccer teams for their past record long after the team itself has completely changed. They judge the team according to the past record and not what the players show on the lawn. I've yet to come across a head of state who isn't responding to Trump in the same way. They seem to look at the country, rather then the man himself and therefore, they normalize and enable him.
How do you think world leaders SHOULD deal with Trump? Whatever else he is, he is the President of the United States, a very powerful man and in this case, one who is also petty and vindictive. Regardless of what they think of him personally, international politics is chess, not checkers. He is not just some crazy man who posts stupid crap on Twitter; he has the full force of the US government at his command. They can't ignore him. Openly scorning him has ugly reprecussions. There are people in this country who love him; he might be re-elected and then everyone will have four more years of him. Meanwhile, even if they are looking at this as a situation they have to suffer through until it is over, it WILL end at some point and it is not a good idea to burn bridges with the US because those bridges will have to be rebuilt when Trump is gone. We're not going to hit reset post-Trump; we might elect another one just like him or someone who admired him, and then what? Even if we elect someone completely different, there is no guarantee that all will be forgiven. There can be a fine line between insulting the man and insulting the country.

I don't understand your issue with Queen Margrethe, but for god's sake, she is a royal. Her role in life is to be publicly gracious at all times. Again, what do you expect her to say or do? Behave like Trump?

Zemgirl

I'm tired of leaders and heads of state acting like Trump is normal.
That aside, she is the Queen of Denmark. She invited Trump for a state visit, so I expect her to know who this man she invited is and what he stands for. I'm also sure she has staff who brief her on what she needs to know.
Um... she didn't. Queen Margrethe was shocked by Trump's decidedly not normal behavior.

Also, she's a ceremonial head of state. What exactly would you have her do, insert herself into policy decisions and government? A visit like this was aimed at achieving certain goals, and her role is to facilitate it.

It's not Queen Margrethe who's at fault here.

Susan1

Um... she didn't. Queen Margrethe was shocked by Trump's decidedly not normal behavior.
I'm not in the argument here. I just want to say that if she was shocked by his behavior, she hasn't been paying attention.

Zemgirl

I'm not in the argument here. I just want to say that if she was shocked by his behavior, she hasn't been paying attention.
You're repeating balletmaus's argument.

I believe that 1) Queen Margrethe has better things to do than to track Donald Trump's behavior and 2) even if one knows what he's capable of in theory, his actual behavior in this situation was shocking, which is why it's still generating discussion.

skatesindreams

ballettmaus

Which also means that she still expected Trump to behave normally. Even though he's been like this since he entered the primary.

I have German friends who listen to the radio and watch the news on TV and they have a pretty good idea about who Trump is. Back in summer 2016, one of my friends told me that Trump scared her.
I believe if they know, the Queen of Denmark should know, too, and if she didn't think it was going to happen because she didn't want to believe the President of the US would behave this way then she should open her eyes and look at him.

Also, she's a ceremonial head of state. What exactly would you have her do, insert herself into policy decisions and government? A visit like this was aimed at achieving certain goals, and her role is to facilitate it.
She could have told the government that, as the Queen of a country that shares a border with the country that's seen one of the worst, if not the worst, dictators and racists in history, she's not going to invite another racist and autocrat-wanna-be and treat him to a state visit.

It's not Queen Margrethe who's at fault here.
I'm not saying she's at fault. I'm saying I don't understand why she's shocked because it is who he is and I don't think you need to be glued to the news to know who he is. It's been pretty obvious for the past four years.

The world seems to have no problem accepting that Erdogan or Putin or Orban or Duda or Bolsonaro behave the way that they do. At least, I'm not hearing anyone proclaim that they're shocked by anything that they do. But when it comes to Trump then each time he does something else that you wouldn't expect a US President to do, there is a proclamation of shock. Even though, it fits with Trump's pattern of behavior and is predictable or to be expected.

Last edited:

Zemgirl

Which also means that she still expected Trump to behave normally. Even though he's been like this since he entered the primary.
As I pointed out, this entire episode has been bizarre even by Trump's standards.

She could have told the government that, as the Queen of a country that shares a border with the country that's seen one of the worst, if not the worst, dictators and racists in history, she's not going to invite another racist and autocrat-wanna-be and treat him to a state visit.
You're active in the royalty thread too, so you know that's not how these things work.

I'm sorry that Queen Margrethe has disappointed you. I think she's pretty awesome.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Medvedeva, T&M, Shibs, P&C
Trump is a mentally ill person and needs to be treated for his illness. Unfortunately he is sitting at the top, with all the power. If the republicans had the guts to use the 25th amendment and remove him, we wouldn’t suffer through him (though we would suffer through President Pence). I really don’t see a solution to the current problem. My only hope is that there is an end to this, and perhaps we could have a sane president in 2021. I am not convinced it will happen but it is good to have some hope.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 6, Guests: 7)