Dangers of a Trump Presidency--Part 7

Prancer

Your Overlord
Staff member

Some pages ago, I shared articles asserting that this has been supported by his Evangelical base.
I think that evangelical Trump supporters MUST see Trump this way; how could they justify supporting him otherwise?

Speaking of insanity, apparently Sen. Tom Cotton claims buying Greenland was his idea. And that it makes perfect sense.
This Greenland thing is just so bizarre. You'd think people would see that letting it die would be the best option here, but no! It just goes on.

It makes me think of freedom fries.

Not act like Bibi alone was at fault for this fiasco - which some have. Avoid provocative suggestions to withdraw Israel's foreign aid (largely spent in the US anyway) because the executive and legislative branches are in disagreement.
Well, now, if this fiasco with the Congresswomen were the only problem the Democrats have ever had with Bibi, I doubt it would matter much. But that's not all there is. His speech to Congress in 2015 is not something that the Dems are going to forget any time soon, and he can't blame that on Trump.

ballettmaus

Presumably because Queen Margrethe expected that even Trump wouldn't be so absurd - even if only out of shallow self-interest, given how much he seems to have enjoyed meeting Queen Elizabeth.
I'm sorry, but if she did, she hasn't been paying attention.

Queen Margrethe has a lovely family and many interests and hobbies. Presumably she does not follow every inane thing Trump does and says, because it's clear what he is without paying constant attention.
That's why I asked if she's been living under a rock. Because I agree, you don't need to spend every waking moment following Trump to know who he is.

The scary/sad/bot surprising thing about that tweet are the responses. All the ones I read assume that “immigrant” means “undocumented immigrant” that is a huge problem.
I think a lot of that is the news media's fault. Often times, they are referring to undocumented immigrants as immigrants (I guess, making the effort to be more specific is just too much or something) and unless you read an entire article, it's not clear which kind of immigrant they are referring to.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Well, now, if this fiasco with the Congresswomen were the only problem the Democrats have ever had with Bibi, I doubt it would matter much. But that's not all there is. His speech to Congress in 2015 is not something that the Dems are going to forget any time soon, and he can't blame that on Trump.
I do think the issue with the Congresswomen should be treated as a US political matter because that is what it is.

But if Dems otherwise want to treat Netanyahu like shit (as he has treated them and therefore US democracy which includes two parties), I'm fine with it. You know its kind of like with Trump. I don't want other countries to ignore his worst tendencies because underneath it all the US is a good country so therefore everyone should just try to make do until he's gone. And I don't think Dems should do that with regard to Netanyahu in Israel either.

When it comes to these kinds of leaders what we do not need is enablers.

Zemgirl

I do think the issue with the Congresswomen should be treated as a US political matter because that is what it is.

But if Dems otherwise want to treat Netanyahu like shit (as he has treated them and therefore US democracy which includes two parties), I'm fine with it. You know its kind of like with Trump. I don't want other countries to ignore his worst tendencies because underneath it all the US is a good country so therefore everyone should just try to make do until he's gone. And I don't think Dems should do that with regard to Netanyahu in Israel either.

When it comes to these kinds of leaders what we do not need is enablers.
Oh, absolutely - Bibi brings a lot of his problems on himself, and it does Israel no good to have a leader who behaves as he does; would that more Israelis realized it. But in this specific case, it was more of a US political matter, and there were no good choices for him (other than to handle the whole thing quietly to begin with).

Vagabond

That's why I asked if she's been living under a rock. Because I agree, you don't need to spend every waking moment following Trump to know who he is.
I have no way of knowing, but her late husband's illness and death may have had an effect on her interest in foreign affairs.

ballettmaus

I have no way of knowing, but her late husband's illness and death may have had an effect on her interest in foreign affairs.
Even if she had less of an interest, someone from her staff should have known that this isn't shocking at all. My money is on that she's no different than many politicians and heads of state around the world and pretends that Trump is just a bad/unpopular President.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I don't. It wasn't Hitler who wanted to exterminate the Jews it was the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem. Hitler's not here anymore, but the Palestinians are. The Grand Mufti comes up all the time as a justification for why we should ignore the human rights of Palestinians.

If there were an equivalent word to anti-semitism for hatred of Palestinians, it would be the perfect label for these disgusting statements.

I'll tell you how these views sound to me as someone who is basically oriented toward the US historical experience. They sound like the Southern and pro-Southern racist views of the 1850s when a lot of whites simply believed that blacks needed to be treated like lesser beings because to do otherwise would get in the way of the rightful life of white Southerners. This seems to me exactly the way the rightwingers like Netanyahu view Palestinians.

Zemgirl

Even if she had less of an interest, someone from her staff should have known that this isn't shocking at all. My money is on that she's no different than many politicians and heads of state around the world and pretends that Trump is just a bad/unpopular President.
Queen Margrethe has been queen of Denmark for the better part of five decades. During this time, she has interacted with many world leaders, who were presumably adults and acted like it. It may indeed be shocking to have to deal with a petulant, vindictive idiot like Trump - even if she is theoretically aware of what he is, seeing it in practice is a different matter.

I find the tone of your posts about her quite odd; just because she is not posting on a thread like this or absorbed in the minutiae of Trump behavior does not mean that Queen Margrethe is "living under a rock" or that there is something wrong about her reaction to having a state visit cancelled in such a bizarre manner.

Vagabond

I hope that you find a way of preserving this post and read it again when you are in your late seventies, as the Queen of Denmark is now. You may look at a lot of things, including the attitudes you have now, in a very different way from how you do now.

MacMadame

Cat Lady-in-Training
I find the tone of your posts about her quite odd; just because she is not posting on a thread like this or absorbed in the minutiae of Trump behavior does not mean that Queen Margrethe is "living under a rock" or that there is something wrong about her reaction to having a state visit cancelled in such a bizarre manner.
The whole conversation is weird to me. We know Queen Margrethe didn't just tweet something out at 3 am in her bathrobe like a certain person we know... I'm sure she chose her words carefully in order to both get across her point but also not ruin future relations with our county. What Trump did is shocking. Just because we are no longer surprised when he does something shocking doesn't make it less of a faux pas on his part.

What exactly does @ballettmaus want her to have said? Something like "Well, I'd say I'm surprised but it is Trump after all" That doesn't seem to be me to be particularly diplomatic or helpful.

Susan1

Queen Margrethe has been queen of Denmark for the better part of five decades.
Just reminded me there is a meme that says something like (I can't "copy" memes like I can comments and I forget to write them down when I am in FB) Denmark - sell Greenland to President Obama for $1 and watch trump's head explode. We'll sell it right back to you. hee hee hee hee hee

Prancer

Your Overlord
Staff member
What Trump did is shocking. Just because we are no longer surprised when he does something shocking doesn't make it less of a faux pas on his part.
I actually was surprised, as I think a state visit would be the sort of thing Trump would want to eat with a spoon--all that attention and fawning focused on him? How could he turn that down? And he prides himself on his negotiating skills, so I figure he would jump at the chance to try to twist a few arms persuade Denmark to consider his proposal.

Then I read Reuven's post and thought :duh:.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Oh, absolutely - Bibi brings a lot of his problems on himself, and it does Israel no good to have a leader who behaves as he does; would that more Israelis realized it. But in this specific case, it was more of a US political matter, and there were no good choices for him (other than to handle the whole thing quietly to begin with).
Came across this statement from Michael Gerson that I think gets to the point really well:

the president is increasingly prone to the equation of the national interest with his personal manias. He is perfectly willing to threaten relations with Denmark — or to force the Israeli government into a difficult choice — if it serves his tweeted whims. This approach is more characteristic of personal rule than democratic leadership.
also reading the actual transcript of Trump's remarks yesterday it really is not at all clear that he understands that American Jews are American:

Q Yesterday you said that Jews — American Jews who vote for Democrats are disloyal. To whom are they being disloyal, sir? And that’s a well-known anti-Semitic trope.

THE PRESIDENT: So, I have been responsible for a lot of great things for Israel. One of them was moving the embassy to Jerusalem, making Jerusalem the capital of Israel. One of them was the Golan Heights. One of them, frankly, is Iran. Iran is a very far weakened nation right now — much different. Hopefully, if something works out. We’ll see. If it happens, it happens.

Q But sir —

THE PRESIDENT: Wait a minute. Wait. Wait. No President has ever done anywhere close to what I’ve done between Golan Heights, Jerusalem, Iran — and other things.

Q But American Jews are Americans, sir.

THE PRESIDENT: Excuse me. Wait a minute. Wait a minute.

No President has done what I’ve done. We have a group — I call it “AOC plus 3” — you can call the person Representative Tlaib, you could say Representative Omar, you could go anywhere you want to do — go. They are anti-Semites. They are against Israel. She had a plan to greatly embarrass Israel by going there with the fact that she wanted to see her grandmother. I assume that’s true. I hope that’s true. But it was very bad. Very bad –the things that she, and others of that group, and other Democrats have said. And they have become the face of the Democratic Party.

And I will tell you this: In my opinion, the Democrats have gone very far away from Israel. I cannot understand how they can do that. They don’t want to fund Israel. They want to take away foreign aid to Israel. They want to do a lot of bad things to Israel.

In my opinion, you vote for a Democrat, you’re being very disloyal to Jewish people and you’re being very disloyal to Israel. And only weak people would say anything other than that.
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/remarks-president-trump-marine-one-departure-60/

MacMadame

Cat Lady-in-Training
He keeps saying The Squad is the face of the Democratic party. It's nonsense and I hope people aren't falling for it.

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races

caseyedwards

I think that evangelical Trump supporters MUST see Trump this way; how could they justify supporting him otherwise?

This Greenland thing is just so bizarre. You'd think people would see that letting it die would be the best option here, but no! It just goes on.

It makes me think of freedom fries.

Very easily! Trump was the only republican nominee in 20 or 30 years never to be defensive on abortion! Unlike bush or Romney He rejected the idea that he was the extremist. That people who oppose late term abortion bans were the extremists. Pro life christian conservatives really admired the never ever being defensive on abortion

Prancer

Your Overlord
Staff member
Very easily! Trump was the only republican nominee in 20 or 30 years never to be defensive on abortion! Unlike bush or Romney He rejected the idea that he was the extremist. That people who oppose late term abortion bans were the extremists. Pro life christian conservatives really admired the never ever being defensive on abortion
I have no idea what part of my post you are responding to unless it is the first comment, and then your response doesn't make much sense.

Do not take this as an indication that I actually want you to explain yourself.

caseyedwards

I have no idea what part of my post you are responding to unless it is the first comment, and then your response doesn't make much sense.

Do not take this as an indication that I actually want you to explain yourself.
Of course it’s the first! You act like you don’t know evangelicals are “pro life” and for the first time a republican nominee wasn’t apologetic about it! That was big and remains big. They do not believe trump is God! They finally have a prolifer as president who is not apologizing and ran on pro choicers being the extremists.

skatesindreams

caseyedwards

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 12, Guests: 9)