Dangers of a Trump Presidency--Part 7

Reuven

Official FSU Alte Kacher
I grew up in Boston & we spent many summers in Kennebunkport. I am sad that it is so poisoned by Trump.
One shop does not make an entire town. Whilst Kennebunkport is very touristy, it’s still a pretty little town. We’ll hop down sometimes in the off-season. The town itself pretty much tries to treat the Bush family as neighbours. That I can understand because the area of CT I grew up in had lots of famous peoples’ country homes and we just treated them as reg’lar folk.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Things that reveal Trump for what he is.

Buying Greenland: I mean, this makes sense from his perspective on life as a real estate mogul, right? Of course, if he had any idea how the world works and what a president does he wouldn't think up stuff like this, but hey, he's thinking outside the box right? Right?

Suggesting Jewish people who for vote Democrats are disloyal: What was this supposed to mean? Not really anything, but it shows what discourse he listens to, where Jews' "loyalty" is discussed, that is to say far right white nationalism. Chilling.

skatesindreams

Suggesting Jewish people who for vote Democrats are disloyal: What was this supposed to mean? Not really anything, but it shows what discourse he listens to, where Jews' "loyalty" is discussed, that is to say far right white nationalism. Chilling.
In a lifetime of inappropriate statements; this is particularly dangerous.
How might one of his "unhinged" supporters respond?

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
In a lifetime of inappropriate statements; this is particularly dangerous.
How might one of his "unhinged" supporters respond?
You mean like the guy in Ohio who was just arrested for having an arsenal of weapons and threatening to shoot up a Jewish Community Center?

skatesindreams

I believe that there will be more of these in the days ahead.
Trump's "suggestions" embolden his most rabid followers and spur them to act.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Last edited:

Zemgirl

This seems about right:

I have this vague recollection of Hillary and Trump being asked to say something nice about the other at one of the debates, and Hillary, coming up with nothing, said that his kids seem to be doing well (that now seems questionable too). It's unusual to find a person so completely lacking in any kind of redeeming characteristics, but Trump seems determined to unearth as many as a he can.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
More on the anti-immigrant climate Trump and allies have created:

The Community Council of Idaho plans to remove and conceal signage on buses they use to transport local children of farmworkers and Head Start participants, after repeated experiences of harassment from motorists across the state, including the Treasure Valley. Each bus transports eight to 12 kids from their homes to the center, and the staff estimates that dozens of migrant children and bus drivers have experienced this harassment across Idaho.

The staff said they assume the drivers are harassing the buses — labeled “Migrant and Seasonal Head Start” — because they assume that migrant means undocumented.

“Migrant doesn’t necessarily mean ‘illegal,’” Alvarez told the Statesman. “Migrant means people move in search of work, which is what our program is. We have people who might move from East Idaho to Caldwell because of the work that they’re in.”
Drivers are harassing buses of Idaho migrant kids, council says. After El Paso, staff takes precaution

:(

mag

I would really like to see a grocery store chain start labeling their produce “brought to you by migrant workers” so people understand how important migrant workers truly are to the American economy.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Also:
Man Arrested With 17 Guns, Grenade Launcher and Nazi Paraphernalia

I note this statement and the article it links to:

Although Mr. Rubino’s motivation for harboring such an arsenal remains unclear, all of these arrests come as federal law enforcement officials grapple with a resurgent white supremacist threat, the rise of which some say has been aided by rhetoric from the White House and conservative media outlets. The arrests come a decade after the federal government effectively disbanded the Department of Homeland Security team that tracked domestic terrorism.
Guys, remember discussing that here 10 years ago? About how there were concerns about rightwing extremism and this report they reference:

Not long after Barack Obama took office in 2009, a Homeland Security Department analyst produced a report presciently predicting that the deep economic downturn, the rise of social media and the election of the first black president would combine to make race-driven extremism a growing and serious threat to national security.

But when the report was made public, it ignited a storm of protest, mostly from the right. Mike Pompeo, then a Republican congressman from Kansas and now secretary of state, said focusing on domestic terrorism was a “dangerous” undertaking born of political correctness that denied “the threat that radical Islamic terrorism poses.”

Inside the Obama administration there was concern that highlighting the issue would only fuel white supremacist conspiracy theories or give unwarranted publicity to fringe figures, according to six former administration officials.

Within weeks, Janet Napolitano, then the homeland security secretary, rescinded the threat assessment. The report’s primary author left the government, and the department’s unit dedicated to tracking domestic terrorism was essentially disbanded.
I remember those discussions and the folks back then who insisted that it was just Obama targeting Republicans and that the real threats of violence were from Islamist terrorism and the far left. I wonder if the folks still arguing about how dangerous the left is care at all that they have been part of a vocal community downplaying the possibility of the very violence we are seeing in places like El Paso? Partisanship trumps all so to speak for some folks.

ETA: Oh and Trump clarified his statements about Jews being disloyal so no one would miss his anti-semitism:

“If you vote for a Democrat you’re being very disloyal to Jewish people and you’re being very disloyal to Israel,” Trump told reporters.
but gosh darn what is really important right now is not to pay attention to any of this but worry about Rashida Tlaib!! :rolleyes:

Susan1

This seems about right:

I have this vague recollection of Hillary and Trump being asked to say something nice about the other at one of the debates, and Hillary, coming up with nothing, said that his kids seem to be doing well (that now seems questionable too). It's unusual to find a person so completely lacking in any kind of redeeming characteristics, but Trump seems determined to unearth as many as a he can.
On FB they pointed out that there was not a first "coming of God". And if he meant the second coming of Jesus, Jews don't believe in that anyway. So this guy needs to be in the rubber room next to trump.

ilovepaydays

On FB they pointed out that there was not a first "coming of God". And if he meant the second coming of Jesus, Jews don't believe in that anyway. So this guy needs to be in the rubber room next to trump.
Before now, I’ve never heard of any Christian interpretation of “second coming of Jesus” to mean anything like this.

Also, the “King of the Jews” comment should also be offensive to Christians. According to the Gospels, that phase was what was writer on the sign to mock Jesus at his crucifixion.

VGThuy

This whole day's news updates in this thread so far have been incredibly depressing. I mean they usually are, but today just seems even worse than usual.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Medvedeva, T&M, Shibs, P&C
One shop does not make an entire town. Whilst Kennebunkport is very touristy, it’s still a pretty little town. We’ll hop down sometimes in the off-season. The town itself pretty much tries to treat the Bush family as neighbours. That I can understand because the area of CT I grew up in had lots of famous peoples’ country homes and we just treated them as reg’lar folk.
I have nothing against the Bushes. I do have something against ‘Trump 2020’ displays and no mention of Any Democratic President, while displaying t shirts with past republican presidents. I agree that we should not blame the entire town because of One shop. I found the shops there outrageously expensive, even for a tourist town. Enjoyed seeing Bush 41’s summer home from a distance. Why do they have 24x7 secret service there? May be his sons visit there sometimes?

mag

I have nothing against the Bushes. I do have something against ‘Trump 2020’ displays and no mention of Any Democratic President
Would you require a store that displayed Bernie 2020 signs to also display signs for Trump?

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Medvedeva, T&M, Shibs, P&C
Would you require a store that displayed Bernie 2020 signs to also display signs for Trump?
If they want to sell their merchandise to everyone regardless of their political views, then they should display both parties (and Bernie is not even a nominee so you example is incorrect). The store clearly rejected all non-republicans, so I rejected them.

canbelto

Banned Member
Ok so here's the thing about Trump and the Israel thing ... I live in NYC and I do know many Orthodox/ultraOrthodox/Hasidic Jewish people who not just support Trump, but WORSHIP him. And most of the non-Orthodox Jewish people I know hate him. So ... what's the link here? Why is there such a huge divide?

ballettmaus

This whole day's news updates in this thread so far have been incredibly depressing. I mean they usually are, but today just seems even worse than usual.
It's not over yet. In Kentucky, Trump joked (?) about giving himself the Medal of Honor (someone please tell me that he can't do that) and had troubles pronouncing the words "applicable", "obstacles" and "armed forces". https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1164246482138148864
I know I've said so before, but this man seems to have serious mental health issues. He needs to go!

Earlier today, he also was back on the "ending birthright citizenship" train. Someone from CNN said it "might" be unconstitutional. I looked it up and "all persons born in the United States" seems pretty clear-cut to me. Is there any wiggle room that I'm not seeing?

mag

If they want to sell their merchandise to everyone regardless of their political views, then they should display both parties (and Bernie is not even a nominee so you example is incorrect). The store clearly rejected all non-republicans, so I rejected them.
It seems to me people should be able to display whatever political sign they wish and other people are free to make decisions based on that if they choose. Your choice not to patronize that particular shop is just as valid as their decision to only display Republican paraphernalia. As for the the Bernie 2020 comment, we don’t know who the nominee will be be. Would you have me list all 19 or 20 candidates instead of an example, or do you think you could just figure that bit out?

VGThuy

Stores should sell what they'd like (legal things obviously), but as Vash01 rightly indicates, being selective runs the risk of alienating customers. The store must be doing well to afford the luxury of having political speech, which could be an indicator of the town generally speaking. Vash01's business suggestion of selling merch from at least both the major political parties is a good point if she was in charge of branding/marketing for the store.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 5)