Dangers of a Trump Presidency--Part 7

caseyedwards

Trump vows to get 'tough' with China when it comes to trade (by imposing tariffs on Americans that hurt American consumers? ), yet is so softball when it comes to the potential of a threat that would make the Tiananmare Square Massacre look like a neighborhood squabble! https://reason.com/2019/08/14/donald-trumps-response-to-hong-kong-protests-leaves-much-to-be-desired
Most Americans are happy being totally dependent on China For goods. They don’t want Anything made in America. Cost too much

mag

How can anyone support this person?
I find it interesting how people keep saying that Americans are better than this. Well actually no, the people in Steve King’s district clearly are not. They continue to send this man to Washington to represent them. Now those who vote against him, ok, but those who don’t vote are just as bad as those who vote for him. So clearly the majority in this district are not better than this.

Just like those who are now saying they might stay home rather than vote for Trump. That doesn’t make you any better. If you really want to be “better than this” actually vote for a candidate who is better than this. Otherwise, own it. You are not any better.

ballettmaus

No one's making anyone use any social media platform. But, if 22 percent of the online U.S. population uses that platform, I would say that's a pretty strong indication some people are finding it useful or at least interesting. For me, I'm very drawn to written text, much more than visuals or audio, so Twitter is very appealing to me, because it's text-based. Forums appeal to me for the same reason. Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube are not as interesting to me, because they're not text-focused.
I feel the same. It's probably ridiculous but when someone shares a link to a (news) video, I find myself thinking that I don't have time to watch whereas I don't hesitate to click on links to articles. (Although, I don't necessary read them all right away. It depends on how many there are and what they are about. Often times, I bookmark a certain amount and then catch up with them on a slow news day).

Anyhow, I find the advantages of Twitter as a news source to be many, as it exposes me not only to current news, but also news articles that I would not otherwise see, as well as a range of personal viewpoints, as I expressed before.
Again, I feel the same. I also find it helpful when it comes to putting something into context.

Another danger that I see, though, is that many users seem to use social media platforms as a place to vent. I often find myself thinking that I wish they stopped expressing their outrage on twitter and instead took it out to the streets.

Separately, I'm concerned about Trump trying to destroy the Federal Reserve because he is convinced it is their actions that are causing his big wonderful economy to fail.
That was my first thought when I saw this. I'm afraid of what Trump will do in an effort to preserve the economy. I fear that whatever it is will make matters only worse.

ballettmaus

Apparently, it's still not clear if the administration plans to count non-citizens towards the census. I find it confusing, though. If they collect citizenship data separately, do they plan to compare it to the census and then simply throw out those they think aren't citizens? Or would they just use the citizenship data instead of the census? Would either option be legal? (Not that the administration cares...) https://www.npr.org/2019/08/14/749930756/do-trump-officials-plan-to-break-centuries-of-precedent-in-divvying-up-congress

Japanfan

You say the masterpiece bakery was discriminating against gay people. That is false! People who oppose same sex marriage shouldn’t be forced to spend hours and hours planning a cake, baking a cake and serving a cake at a same sex wedding! It’s actually crazy.
Bakers don't usually serve the cakes they bake at weddings.

And there was the actual case of the baker who didn't want to bake a cake for a gay couple. I don't remember the details of how that played out, but am sure that someone else does.

Same thing with this rule! Is there any place for religious belief in business?
IMO, not really. Beyond businesses closing to celebrate religious holidays. But big retail companies can't really do that these days. They may give employees who observe those holidays time off, but don't close completely.

I'm also basically opposed to the conscience clause that permits pharmacists not to fill prescriptions for contraception or the morning after pill, because it causes inconvenience to the customer. IMO, if a person has such issues, maybe they should not be a pharmacist.

Just as a vegetarian shouldn't take a job in a restaurant that serves meat dishes, and then refuse to touch, prepare or serve meat.

Just as a doctor who is pro-life and against abortion shouldn't take a position in which the doctor may be required to perform abortions.

I just wish all religions could be forced by law to establish rules of participation in same sex weddings if they oppose homosexuality
That, I think, would be difficult.

Reuven

Official FSU Alte Kacher
And there was the actual case of the baker who didn't want to bake a cake for a gay couple. I don't remember the details of how that played out, but am sure that someone else does.
IIRC, the ruling was in favour of the baker, only because the court felt the state’s equality enforcement overreached or something like that. Not because the court felt the baker was right.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
That was my first thought when I saw this. I'm afraid of what Trump will do in an effort to preserve the economy. I fear that whatever it is will make matters only worse.
One of my big concerns is that he will try to destroy the independence of the Federal Reserve. Its not really popular to say, but the Federal Reserve, after Obama's economic stimulus program jump started things, is what made the economic recovery possible. If it became just another politicized institution we would lose that backstop.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
This column makes a critical point:

President Donald Trump is showing what happens when the United States abandons its decades-long role as a guarantor of stability and instead chooses to act as an agent of global disruption.
A series of economic and political shocks are fomenting disorder across the planet and straining an international political system that Trump deliberately set out to undermine.
Trump did not cause all these crises. But his actions or unwillingness to temper them did deepen the discord in many cases. And his refusal to play the kind of stabilizing leadership role expected of a US president is fomenting power vacuums and may convince key protagonists in each drama that they may not face the kinds of consequences they might normally expect from Washington.
I'm not at all sure that Trump's supporters are aware of what the consequences of his "America First" policy, the destabilization of the global order, really will be. They like his thumbing his nose and saying I'm not going to act like the establishment wants me to, but I think a lot of people assume he can do that and the global order will continue as it always has because they aren't even aware of what the US role is.

Maybe there's a better world out there somewhere after the US withdraws from its world leadership role, certainly the far left has always claimed this, but how we would get from here to there, well Trump certainly has no plan.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
On our side, hopefully September 18th. But I wouldn't bet on it.
:(

ETA: J Street statement:
NETANYAHU’S DENIAL OF ENTRY TO OMAR AND TLAIB IS DANGEROUS AND WRONG

pertinent to this Trump thread:

The fact that President Trump has already tweeted out his own call for these representatives to be denied entry illustrates that this decision is motivated purely by politics and ideology — not by the interests of the State of Israel. It is an affront to Congress and the American people and does severe damage to the US-Israel relationship — and it must be reversed immediately.”

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Medvedeva, T&M, Shibs, P&C

Zemgirl

This is so stupid. I like Israel but this sounds racist. Israel, of all, should know what racial biases can lead to.
There's certainly racism and prejudice in Israel, but in this case it's really about Trump; the visit had been planned and their entry approved some time ago. But Trump did his usual Twitter hissy fit, Bibi is weak, and BDS is very unpopular in Israel. Bibi probably hopes that Trump will throw him some bone that will help him in next month's election. The end result is this idiocy, which serves no constructive purpose.

Trump's popularity in Israel is truly depressing.

Zemgirl

I don't mind canbelto's question, it was in response to my generalization which is sadly supported by polling data.

Uh ... what do Israelis like about Trump? I’m genuinely curious.
He's a "friend to Israel", moved the embassy to Jerusalem and recognized Israeli sovereignty in the Golan Heights. Given the current situation in Syria the Golan Heights is not going back any time soon, but it was still provocative. Also he's the idiot's idea of a strong leader and we have many idiots, and his middle name is not Hussein.

Israeli has shifted to the right massively in the past two decades.

nylynnr

Maybe the situation with Israel and the congresswomen will run its course in the next few days. Right now it's a huge distraction and a gift to Republicans. Probably, even some Democrats wish Tlaib would focus less on building a national profile and more on local issues. She won her seat by 900 votes and might have to fight off a challenge to be re-elected.

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
One never knows what others think, but this Democrat is not interested in keeping Tlaib from visiting her relatives on the West Bank.

This is just another Trump family separation policy...imo.

Omar you could make a case for not going on this trip. She seems to be going in solidarity with Tlaib.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Okay so we have the news filled with stories that we might be on the verge of a recession, that Trump's tariff policy and trade war with China are making recession more likely, and...

then we have Trump tweeting about Omar and Tlaib and his buddy Netanyahu responding helpfully.

Trump working the distraction thing again.

ballettmaus

Omar you could make a case for not going on this trip. She seems to be going in solidarity with Tlaib.
I believe every person should have the right to travel wherever they want to. That aside, the Congresswomen were planning to meet with Israeli and Palestinian civil society groups and humanitarian workers and visit one of the affected hospitals in East Jerusalem. https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/netanyahu-considers-blocking-omar-tlaib-from-entering-israel-ahead-of-a-planned-weekend-visit/2019/08/15/d69983ce-d15b-4074-8590-c6f69bd4a084_story.html

Trump working the distraction thing again.
He actually sent out the first tweet several days ago. I saw it, I don't know if the news outlets picked it up but there was no follow up, so I assumed it wasn't an issue anymore until I saw an article in the WaPo yesterday evening that Netanyahu was considering denying them entry.

ballettmaus

Trump has apparently expressed interest in buying Greenland. I can only hope that Denmark will not give in to him any more than they gave in to previous Presidents. https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-eyes-a-new-real-estate-purchase-greenland-11565904223

On a different note, ABC found 36 cases of violence in which the offender was inspired by Trump. https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/blame-abc-news-finds-17-cases-invoking-trump/story?id=58912889

The administration wants to move more funds from other areas in DHS to ICE. https://www.politico.com/story/2019/08/14/trump-administration-federal-funding-ice-1662256

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 4, Guests: 8)