Dangers of a Trump Presidency--Part 7

pat c

My college campus is primarily trade-oriented and the current prediction is that 1 in 5 jobs in the next 5 years will be in the trades. Blacksmithing is super cool - wish we had it here. They also should bring back the carpentry course.
Oh for sure. Carpentry, plumbing, electricians etc are always in high demand and more so now. Blacksmithing is still done, but more as a hobby. The forges and tools can not handle the steelwork our society demands.

I wonder where Trump's phone is made. ;)

Susan1

It's almost like Trump doesn't know what he's doing. :rolleyes:
:respec:
Aug. 2, 2019
President Donald Trump told an Ohio audience Thursday that China is footing the bill for the massive tariffs he's slapped on foreign goods coming into the United States.

“Don’t let them tell you, the fact is — China devalues their currency, they pour money into their system. Because of that, you’re not paying for those tariffs. China’s paying for those tariffs,” the president said, hours after announcing the new set of tariffs on Chinese goods. “Until such time as there is a deal, we will be taxing the hell out of China.”

Aug. 13, 2019
President Trump says he is delaying some tariffs on Chinese imports ahead of the Christmas season.
“We’re doing this for the Christmas season,” Trump says, “just in case some of the tariffs would have an impact on U.S. customers.”
The Trump administration announced hours earlier that it would delay until Dec. 15 some of the tariffs that were originally scheduled to come into effect Sept. 1.

caseyedwards

Almost None of the things I have are made in America! Leaders of America made the choice to eliminate American manufacturing of many items so they cost less!! On a Chinese manufactured item right now! So this whole process of punishing Americans for taking advantage of policies the American government made to give manufacturing to China is absurd!! Any democrat or traditional republican will accept the reality China is home of manufacturing now mostly

ballettmaus

Indeed, we all seem to feel it is imperative to know things immediately.

But why?
With regards to Trump - because there usually is so much going on in a day that if something happens, it's something else an hour later.

I'm probably a bit obsessive when it comes to news at the moment but a lack of information was crucial in helping Hitler rise to power and become who he became (as I think it always is the case with dictators), and since Trump's threat to democracy scares me like little else, I want to stay informed, at least.

Last edited:

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
With regards to Trump - because there usually is so much going on in a day that if something happens, it's something else an hour later.

I'm probably a bit obsessive when it comes to news at the moment but a lack of information was crucial in helping Hitler rise to power and become who he became (as I think it always is the case with dictators), and since Trump's threat to democracy scares me like little else, I want to stay informed, at least.
If you missed a day's news, would you really lack necessary information?

ballettmaus

If you missed a day's news, would you really lack necessary information?
In the age of Trump, how can I know?

ETA: What is necessary information? Most of what happens and/or what comes out of the administration isn't a surprise (like Trump's speech yesterday or that Cucinelli said the poem on the Statue of Liberty was meant for people coming from Europe). But if we ignore it and don't consider it necessary to know and/or news, don't we normalize it?

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
In the age of Trump, how can I know?

ETA: What is necessary information? Most of what happens and/or what comes out of the administration isn't a surprise (like Trump's speech yesterday or that Cucinelli said the poem on the Statue of Liberty was meant for people coming from Europe). But if we ignore it and don't consider it necessary to know and/or news, don't we normalize it?
Suppose you personally missed a day of Trump's tweets. What effect would that have on your ability to judge if Trump is dangerous to our democracy?

I think it is fine to keep up with the news hour by hour if you choose to, you will be well informed, for sure. But I really don't think we as a people would be unable to resist Trump if we, for instance, only had print daily newspapers to inform us.

ballettmaus

Suppose you personally missed a day of Trump's tweets. What effect would that have on your ability to judge if Trump is dangerous to our democracy?
None with regards to how dangerous he is. But I might miss an immigration policy change that affects me.

I think it is fine to keep up with the news hour by hour if you choose to, you will be well informed, for sure. But I really don't think we as a people would be unable to resist Trump if we, for instance, only had print daily newspapers to inform us.
I think it depends. Generally, I believe that too many don't care about the news anymore anyway (look at how few had so much as an idea of what was in the Mueller report) but would those who read Twitter take the time to read a newspaper? Twitter is short and free (without a monthly article limit) and it seems designed to cater to our current society - little time, headlines only. (Of course, how valuable the informationis that one gets via Twitter depends on how it is used but I guess, that also applies to print news).
I don't think it comes as a surprise if I say I have strong opinions about both but they are a separate issue and it is what it is, and I'd rather someone looks at a headline, tweet, video clip or link on Twitter than not look at the news at all.

What I think is the most dangerous about Twitter is not the character limit but how it can be abused and how quickly a message gets amplified. And if the media plays for clicks, it gets even worse (I don't know who but someone asked Trump about the Epstein-Clinton conspiracy theory yesterday and I had to immediately think about this discussion. It annoyed me that the journalist fed the fire and asked Trump in the first place but I don't think I would have known had it not been for Twitter. I do believe that we need to know that Trump happily jumped on the bandwaggon. I don't think we need to know any more than that, though).

MacMadame

Cat Lady-in-Training
I think it is fine to keep up with the news hour by hour if you choose to, you will be well informed, for sure.
I started thinking about this... when you follow something hour by hour, you often consume inaccurate information -- facts that later are overturned with more research -- so I'm not sure it's true that this is a way to be well-informed. I think it's just something we do when a particular subject touches us in some way and we can't look away.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
How many users does Twitter have? Is there a survey of who they are? I was under the impression that it tended to be people already knowledgeable and that people who don't follow politics closely aren't on Twitter.

I've never noticed anyone on the bus on Twitter. Facebook yes, Twitter, no.

ETA: A quickie partial answer "In February 2019, 22 percent of online U.S. adults used the microblogging service, down from 24 percent in the previous year." https://www.statista.com/statistics/186675/share-of-us-adults-using-twitter-since-2009/

caseyedwards

The Department of Labor just proposed a rule that aims to let government contractors fire workers who are LGBTQ, or who are pregnant and unmarried, based on the employers’ religious views.

I want to see all those posters who defended the Masterpiece Bakery when they wanted to discriminate against LGBTQ persons based on religious liberty to defend this as well.
You say the masterpiece bakery was discriminating against gay people. That is false! People who oppose same sex marriage shouldn’t be forced to spend hours and hours planning a cake, baking a cake and serving a cake at a same sex wedding! It’s actually crazy.

Same thing with this rule! Is there any place for religious belief in business?

I just wish all religions could be forced by law to establish rules of participation in same sex weddings if they oppose homosexuality

Prancer

Your Overlord
Staff member
In general, I find Twitter really useful for getting current news fast. The ability to disseminate and receive different pieces of information/links so quickly is interesting. Also, for me personally, I’ve found it educational in terms of understanding different viewpoints. The quick takes/reactions you see on Twitter can open your eyes to things you just haven’t thought about before.
I had to give Twitter up because one has only so much time, but when I did use it, I found it a very useful place for work-related information. Most if not all of the professional organizations I am associated with or follow would tweet out article links. Everything was all in one place.

There was just so much of it :yikes:

I started thinking about this... when you follow something hour by hour, you often consume inaccurate information -- facts that later are overturned with more research -- so I'm not sure it's true that this is a way to be well-informed. I think it's just something we do when a particular subject touches us in some way and we can't look away.
Not only that, but if you are reading one article right after another for hours on end, it usually means that you are consuming information rather than digesting it. The mind can handle only so much data at a time. There comes a point where you are just reading in a really nondiscriminating way, which means that your critical reading skills are essentially nonexistent. Even the best readers cannot sift through information all the time.

ETA: A quickie partial answer "In February 2019, 22 percent of online U.S. adults used the microblogging service, down from 24 percent in the previous year." https://www.statista.com/statistics/186675/share-of-us-adults-using-twitter-since-2009/
This is what drives me absolutely crazy about the mainstream media's use of Twitter as some sort of everyman resource--it's a small, self-selected population. Why not just run to the nearest Stabucks and ask some random person in line what he thinks?

You say the masterpiece bakery was discriminating against gay people. That is false!
Can we please not argue this again in this thread? Resurrect the Masterpiece Bakery thread--but only if you have something new to add that wasn't said there before.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
This is what drives me absolutely crazy about the mainstream media's use of Twitter as some sort of everyonman resource--it's a small, self-selected population. Why not just run to the nearest Stabucks and ask some random person in line what he thinks?
I was just reading this article on a Pew study of Twitter: "It also notes that the activity on Twitter is dominated by a small percentage — most users rarely tweet, while the most prolific 10 percent are responsible for 80 percent of tweets from U.S. adults."

Probably most people who read Twitter don't really want to hear from the other 90 percent anyway. :shuffle:

I know my (tiny) organization uses Twitter regularly. I am happy to say I don't need to know anything said on Twitter to do my job.

Pew: US adult Twitter users tend to be younger, more Democratic; 10% create 80% of tweets

MacMadame

Cat Lady-in-Training
I was under the impression that it tended to be people already knowledgeable and that people who don't follow politics closely aren't on Twitter.
Twitter isn't just for politics. There are plenty of people on Twitter who don't know squat about politics. They are on there to follow certain people or certain communities, such as figure skating.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Twitter isn't just for politics. There are plenty of people on Twitter who don't know squat about politics. They are on there to follow certain people or certain communities, such as figure skating.
Oh yeah, I should know that from FSU. :lol:

I know non profit orgs like mine use Twitter to communicate with their audience. How important that is, I don't know.

clairecloutier

I had to give Twitter up because one has only so much time, but when I did use it, I found it a very useful place for work-related information. Most if not all of the professional organizations I am associated with or follow would tweet out article links. Everything was all in one place.

My husband recently joined Twitter to follow professional news in his current field & found the same--that it's a useful source for professional links/info.

Twitter is definitely not just for political junkies. There's probably an infinite number of subgroups on there, with political junkies being just one of them, and figure skating fans another, LOL.

No one's making anyone use any social media platform. But, if 22 percent of the online U.S. population uses that platform, I would say that's a pretty strong indication some people are finding it useful or at least interesting. For me, I'm very drawn to written text, much more than visuals or audio, so Twitter is very appealing to me, because it's text-based. Forums appeal to me for the same reason. Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube are not as interesting to me, because they're not text-focused. Different subgroups seem to flourish in different media spaces, though, as with @MacMadame's club.

Anyhow, I find the advantages of Twitter as a news source to be many, as it exposes me not only to current news, but also news articles that I would not otherwise see, as well as a range of personal viewpoints, as I expressed before. The main downside, as @Prancer said, is the sheer volume of tweets/information, which can become overwhelming. (And of course, the idiotic or hateful comments, but that is a problem on all social media.)

Getting back to political news, I'm disgusted because the Trump administration is doing its best to delay/kill off the big Vineyard Wind wind farm project here in Massachusetts, off Cape Cod.

It's taken soooo long for this project to come to fruition & it was almost there, about to start construction & now they've thrown a wrench in the works. :mad: It's infuriating. Even if the Trump administration had never done any of the other heinous & horrible things that they have, they deserve to be voted out of office based on the climate change issue alone, IMO. They are doing everything in their power to stop progress on mitigating climate change, when we should be doing the exact opposite!!

quartz

uncultured pearl clutcher
A recession is when, not if, and likely within the next year. Its been a bull market for 9-10 years, and the swing of the pendulum has begun. We have been trying to max out our RRSP and TFSAs to shore up for the decline in our stock investments.
I don’t even give a shit what people think of my simple-minded penchant for socking away money in my mattress. :p

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
It depends on how bad it gets, but as one who works in a non-profit where funding tends to dry up during recessions, it makes me concerned for my job.

Separately, I'm concerned about Trump trying to destroy the Federal Reserve because he is convinced it is their actions that are causing his big wonderful economy to fail.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 4, Guests: 6)