Dangers of a Trump Presidency--Part 7

VGThuy

I get what you're saying now. I do think minimizing what your position is in 280 characters or less (before it was like what? 160?) does everything to ensure no substantial discussion or debate happens. It's just people ranting and yelling at each other and trying to outdo each other in concise/witty ways because of the character limit.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I get what you're saying now. I do think minimizing what your position is in 280 characters or less (before it was like what? 160?) does everything to ensure no substantial discussion or debate happens. It's just people ranting and yelling at each other and trying to outdo each other in concise/witty ways because of the character limit.
Yes plus the ability to retweet and "like" however that works on Twitter, stuff that isn't unique to Twitter--the kind of stuff that was developed for Facebook to get people obsessed with looking all the time, combines with the limited characters and the way the platform gets people to prioritize "say it now!" "say it first" altogether has created something largely toxic in our politics.

Prancer

Needs More Sleep
Staff member
One of the few times that young people were treated with the respect they deserve, followed the Parkland/Marjory Stoneman Douglas tragedy; due to the strength of their activism, persistence and determination.
Those programs have nothing at all to do with the Trump administration and how it treats teenagers, so you can't give it any credit there. The programs been around for decades. My husband works with a man who is in his late 50s who got his start working as an intern in government intelligence when he was 18.

VALuvsMKwan

Wandering Goy
Ken Cuccinelli has always been horrible. Trump goes out of his way to pick the most controversial and radical people for his administration for the purpose of stirring things up again and again.
I don’t think he does it to stir things up, I think he chooses these people because their beliefs align with his and they show him the absolute loyalty (at least for a while) that he craves. Ken Cuccinelli has been on CNN auditioning for this role for a while. I often listened to him and wondered how he could argue the way he was with a straight face. Any rational person with an iota of self respect would not be able to. Clearly the answer is he was speaking to Trump through the TV and he now has a plum job as a reward.
Oh, good old Coochie Pop. Whatever you think of Terry McAuliffe, I thank our lucky stars and Northern VA over and over again that he was elected Governor instead of that boil on the butt of humanity.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
At least one farmer who is upset with Trump's tariffs.

The Chinese just turned to other countries that produce soybeans. The US farmer in some areas was already in trouble with delayed planting and now no buyers for their crops. The Chinese can hold out way longer than the US farmer. The Canadian farmers are more than happy to sell to them.

Sparks

The Chinese just turned to other countries that produce soybeans. The US farmer in some areas was already in trouble with delayed planting and now no buyers for their crops. The Chinese can hold out way longer than the US farmer. The Canadian farmers are more than happy to sell to them.
It's almost like Trump doesn't know what he's doing. :rolleyes:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
It's almost like Trump doesn't know what he's doing. :rolleyes:
Trump doesn't care. He just wants to be the biggest dog. NPR did a segment yesterday on how Trump models his actions on conservative talk radio. Just like the talk radio hosts, it's all talk with no action. That's fine when all you care about is ratings. You don't need to have actual policy or actions that benefit the country as a whole. You just shoot off your mouth and go home when the mic is off. Trump shoots off his mouth and goes to play golf.

I'd feel as if any body who voted for him deserves what happens, except what happens is impacting the rest of us, the environment and the future. It will take years to undo what damage he's done. Some of which can't be undone.

ballettmaus

Trump was supposed to give a speech on energy today. I don't know what I'd call the end result but a speech on energy definitely isn't it. https://www.politico.com/story/2019/08/13/donald-trump-energy-speech-pittsburgh-1461337

This is probably my favorite part (and the part that most everyone else would get checked out by a doctor for...)
On his love of trucks: “I love cranes, I love trucks of all types. Even when I was a little boy at 4 years old, my mother would say, 'You love trucks.' I do, I always loved trucks, I still do. Nothing changes — sometimes you know you might become president, but nothing changes — I still love trucks. Especially when I look at the largest crane in the world, that’s very cool. You think I’ll get to operate it? We’ll put the media on it and I’ll give them a little ride, right?”

clairecloutier

I see nothing about Twitter that is a positive contribution to society. I don't think all social media platforms are necessarily the same. Twitter has created a situation where politicians and media representatives play at responding to one another and it does not provide a positive service in anyway. It is a game, but on a deadly serious topic, our political discourse and process.
In relation to politics, it seems to me that politicians have been basing a lot of their communications on short sound bites, slogans, or commercials for decades, at least. I don’t see how short comments on Twitter are much different. (In fact, many tweets may actually be longer than slogans/sound bites.) I also don’t see how politicians directly responding to one another on Twitter is any more of a “game” than, say, Pelosi and Trump trading barbs in dueling press conferences or MoCs giving quick quotes to journalists while walking to their office, etc.

In general, I find Twitter really useful for getting current news fast. The ability to disseminate and receive different pieces of information/links so quickly is interesting. Also, for me personally, I’ve found it educational in terms of understanding different viewpoints. The quick takes/reactions you see on Twitter can open your eyes to things you just haven’t thought about before.

Last edited:

Japanfan

On his love of trucks: “I love cranes, I love trucks of all types. Even when I was a little boy at 4 years old, my mother would say, 'You love trucks.' I do, I always loved trucks, I still do. Nothing changes — sometimes you know you might become president, but nothing changes — I still love trucks. Especially when I look at the largest crane in the world, that’s very cool. You think I’ll get to operate it? We’ll put the media on it and I’ll give them a little ride, right?”
Some things do change for some children who love trucks. They grow into mature, responsible men.

Japanfan

Who knew that Trump was too cheap to buy stationery?
He may not be too cheap, he may just not see the point of it. Tweets and handwritten notes are his MO. He can't string a lot of sentences together in a coherent order to articulate a complex chain of thoughts or ideas. So what does he need a full sheet of paper for?

Last edited:

pat c

Ahh yes, but China has placed embargoes on a lot of our exports to them courtesy of Trump and the Huawei affair. I'd guess India or South America is picking up the slack.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Ahh yes, but China has placed embargoes on a lot of our exports to them courtesy of Trump and the Huawei affair. I'd guess India or South America is picking up the slack.
Bad for our farmers, but good for them. I suspect Trump's support in the farming community is going to drop a lot unless he does a sudden reversal before November 2020. A lot of smaller farmers are going to be in big trouble if they have crops sitting in silos or rotting in the fields that aren't being sold, plus the price being paid to them will plummet. The problem with grain crops is you can't hold them long before they start to spoil. Between the sale of the beans and the new issues with the herbicide resistant strains being planted next to strains that are now resistant to herbicides....

But, I'm from a farming community in central Arkansas and rice and bean farmers have not been responsible in how they used the land for over 100 years. Nature will have an even bigger impact in how food is grown within the next decade or so.

Trump gave a rambling speech in PA yesterday and told the audience that he knew they didn't want to use their big hands to make tiny computer parts. They wanted those big hands to be mining coal or making steel. I'm 100% confident he has no idea what that type of work is like.

pat c

Bad for our farmers, but good for them. I suspect Trump's support in the farming community is going to drop a lot unless he does a sudden reversal before November 2020. A lot of smaller farmers are going to be in big trouble if they have crops sitting in silos or rotting in the fields that aren't being sold, plus the price being paid to them will plummet. The problem with grain crops is you can't hold them long before they start to spoil. Between the sale of the beans and the new issues with the herbicide resistant strains being planted next to strains that are now resistant to herbicides....

But, I'm from a farming community in central Arkansas and rice and bean farmers have not been responsible in how they used the land for over 100 years. Nature will have an even bigger impact in how food is grown within the next decade or so.

Trump gave a rambling speech in PA yesterday and told the audience that he knew they didn't want to use their big hands to make tiny computer parts. They wanted those big hands to be mining coal or making steel. I'm 100% confident he has no idea what that type of work is like.
He has no clue. All those big hands running those machines with parts made in China and Mexico or Japan. I suppose he thinks things are still done with a shovel and a pick axe. Blacksmiths at the ready. ;)

Simone411

Well, Bleffing Cofefe! Clippy's flipping over P/C!
I'm seeing a lot of controversy in several of the ad commercials now being shown on my local tv stations. One in particular is from Eddie Rispone who is a conservative running for the governor's race. He says in several of his commercials that he supports President Trump.

This latest commercial that I saw earlier this morning is where Eddie says "I believe in the power of prayer, not government".

Every Morning/Eddie Rispone

So Eddie Rispone doesn't believe in government, but yet, he's running for governor of Louisiana. I guess he'll use the power of prayer if he becomes our governor. I hope in his case that his power of prayer will get the job done especially if that's all he's relying on.

quartz

uncultured pearl clutcher
He has no clue. All those big hands running those machines with parts made in China and Mexico or Japan. I suppose he thinks things are still done with a shovel and a pick axe. Blacksmiths at the ready. ;)
My college campus is primarily trade-oriented and the current prediction is that 1 in 5 jobs in the next 5 years will be in the trades. Blacksmithing is super cool - wish we had it here. They also should bring back the carpentry course.

caseyedwards

It’s really actually scary how China completely destroyed America in all previous trade deals and now America is economic slave to China!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 28, Guests: 28)