Dangers of a Trump Presidency--Part 7

skatesindreams

One of the few times that young people were treated with the respect they deserve, followed the Parkland/Marjory Stoneman Douglas tragedy; due to the strength of their activism, persistence and determination.

TPTB couldn't simply "pat them on the head" and hope they would disappear.
Trump and his associates tried to deflect attention from them, with his claims that the father (former agent) of the leading activist was actually responsible for encouraging their actions.

caseyedwards

Last edited:

caseyedwards

Immigrants are just people living in America! So Just like Americans they deserve welfare and Medicaid and food stamps.

skatesindreams

Would that this would come to pass:

caseyedwards

Would that this would come to pass:
The republican party is not united! Explain Mccain and Obamacare!! Explain Kasich. Explain Hurd. Explain Rubin, Kristol, Will, Hayes, Golberg, Hogan, Sanford, Romney, Jeb Bush, George bush, Sasse, flake, corker, Ryan, McConnell !!! Omg no president in decades and decades and decades has a more divided party. How can people write such garbage!!! How about employees of Cnn? Ana Navarro, SE Cupp, etc etc etc. Fact: a conservative republican Senator voting for conservatives as judges doesn’t mean they love trump.

First major bill republicans passed in 2017? Ban on trumps designs for border wall

The major elite republicans desire to see trumps defeat in 2020 is clear to anyone with eyes!

Last edited:

caseyedwards

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I think that Twitter is the gamification of politics.

Trump plays well if dirty.

Twitter is harmful to our democracy, IMO.

mag

Danger of a Trump Presidency No. 47,241: He uses coarse language.

Why it took Evangelicals three years to notice this eludes me. 🤷‍♂️
So let me get this straight. Evangelicals are okay with:

Trump grabbing women “by the pussy” and kissing them against their will,

Paying off adult film stars and Playboy models to keep them quiet about his affairs,

Creating a moral equivalence between white suprematist and those protesting against it,

Implementing a policy that sees children as young as only a few months old kept for weeks if not months in cages at the border,

Lying over 10,000 times since coming into office,

Trying to obstruct justice,

Colluding with the Russians to win the 2016 election (no criminal conspiracy but he welcomed their help)

Comparing a white suprematist who has murdered 22 people with a group that fight fascism.

But saying “god damn” is one bridge too far. Okey dokey

Wow, and they wonder why many people think Christians are hypocrites!

Last edited:

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Appalling:
Ken Cuccinelli has always been horrible. Trump goes out of his way to pick the most controversial and radical people for his administration for the purpose of stirring things up again and again.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
If abused, I think all forms of media - social and regular - are harmful to democracy. Social media is easier to abuse than the regular media, though.
I see nothing about Twitter that is a positive contribution to society. I don't think all social media platforms are necessarily the same. Twitter has created a situation where politicians and media representatives play at responding to one another and it does not provide a positive service in anyway. It is a game, but on a deadly serious topic, our political discourse and process.

caseyedwards

What Anthony Scaramucci gets dead wrong in his turn against Donald Trump
https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/12/politics/scaramucci-trump-2020/index.html

Yep. I wonder how many others will come out of the woodwork saying that Trump is much worse and that is why they are distancing themselves? Can we hope this is the start of the rats leaving the sinking ship?
It’s the same thing as 2016!! Can all the republicans and conservatives who oppose trump make him lose the primary or elect the democrat in the general? Do they all go to the democratic convention in 2020? Like all the work of Romney Bush Mccain McConnell Ryan in 2016 didn’t elect Hillary

ballettmaus

Trump is delaying the China tariffs in case they have an impact on US shoppers after all. https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/13/trump-says-he-delayed-tariffs-because-of-concerns-over-christmas-shopping-season.html?__source=twitter|main

“We’re doing this for the Christmas season,” Trump told reporters on an airport tarmac around noon Tuesday. “Just in case some of the tariffs would have an impact on U.S. customers.”

“But so far they’ve had virtually none,” the president added. “But just in case they might have an impact on people, what we’ve done is we’ve delayed it, so that they won’t be relevant to the Christmas shopping season.”

mag

Ken Cuccinelli has always been horrible. Trump goes out of his way to pick the most controversial and radical people for his administration for the purpose of stirring things up again and again.
I don’t think he does it to stir things up, I think he chooses these people because their beliefs align with his and they show him the absolute loyalty (at least for a while) that he craves. Ken Cuccinelli has been on CNN auditioning for this role for a while. I often listened to him and wondered how he could argue the way he was with a straight face. Any rational person with an iota of self respect would not be able to. Clearly the answer is he was speaking to Trump through the TV and he now has a plum job as a reward.

Zemgirl

I see nothing about Twitter that is a positive contribution to society. I don't think all social media platforms are necessarily the same. Twitter has created a situation where politicians and media representatives play at responding to one another and it does not provide a positive service in anyway. It is a game, but on a deadly serious topic, our political discourse and process.
I should have my "social media isn't bad, it's how it's used that can be bad" posts saved for future reference. Here's a counterpoint to your post:

Social media generally, and Twitter specifically, has been used for crowdsourcing ideas, personal appeals and investigative journalism; fundraising for good causes; sharing knowledge or meaningful experiences; raising awareness and grassroots organizing; creating communities of people around shared interests; social recognition and support (not of the 8chan variety), and more. I tried to include links, will edit if anything else comes to mind.

Twitter can do more to promote healthy discourse on its platform, but there's plenty there that's a positive contribution to society. You just have to know where to look.

This is the most liked tweet of all time.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
The Trump administration is trying to gut the Endangered Species Act. They've already given permission to overrule Obama EPA rulings to protect Bristol Bay in Alaska from mining. The entire aquatic ecosystem for several salmon runs will be destroyed along with all the species that depend on salmon. They've gone over the protests by Native Alaskans and the fishing industry. The greed is astonishing. This country/planet will not survive six more years of Trump and his cronies. I'm just sick at my stomach. All the environmental groups are filing suit to try and stop him, but he's seeded the courts to make sure his big donor buddies get what they want. Short term $$$$ for the rich and a cost the rest of us will pay for.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I should have my "social media isn't bad, it's how it's used that can be bad" posts saved for future reference. Here's a counterpoint to your post:

Social media generally, and Twitter specifically, has been used for crowdsourcing ideas, personal appeals and investigative journalism; fundraising for good causes; sharing knowledge or meaningful experiences; raising awareness and grassroots organizing; creating communities of people around shared interests; social recognition and support (not of the 8chan variety), and more. I tried to include links, will edit if anything else comes to mind.

Twitter can do more to promote healthy discourse on its platform, but there's plenty there that's a positive contribution to society. You just have to know where to look.

This is the most liked tweet of all time.
You won't convince me especially not with a canned post that could be provided by a PR department at [fill in the blank] corporation.

I don't buy the idea that all technology is always positive progress. I do think we have that beat into our heads by those that profit from convincing us though and its really hard to think outside that box.

I don't mind being told I'm just backward and old by the people who won't challenge the "new" but damn you know the "new" is really old at this point, its modern and that is now centuries past.

Zemgirl

You won't convince me especially not with a canned post that could be provided by a PR department at [fill in the blank] corporation.
Thank you for calling a post I spent time and effort putting together the equivalent of canned PR content.

I've had people dislike things I've written here, but this was unnecessarily bitchy and I think you know it.

VGThuy

It's kind of funny if we think about it. Saying Twitter and social media is harmful to our society is basically saying that the marketplace of ideas and giving people a podium to speak for themselves and be heard, aka a forum, without a middle-man to vet such expression is harmful to our society. Aka people shouldn't be heard or even democracy unchecked is harmful. I mean I don't particularly disagree, and our founders certainly feared the tyranny of mob majorities and they certainly did not trust every American citizen to vote for the President, which is why they created the Electoral College, which has changed so much that it's no longer being used as it was originally intended and instead just helps a particular party have their candidate win the presidency without winning the popular vote.

That said, I do think social media has many positives. It's just the negatives right now are out-weighting the positives and we are not teaching our people how to use it more responsibly. Instead everything in our society is making people want to escape into the dark trenches and delve deeper into scary isolation that it exacerbates the problem of people using social media to feed into their paranoia and anger and almost treat it like sport.

True, social media isn't the cause of people exploiting the platform to use it for negative smears nor is it the cause of people exploiting it and spreading false narratives. It certainly is not the cause for people being so incredibly uneducated and unable to be truly conscientious regarding false narratives they spread. However, those who own such social media tools also have not taken any true responsibility for allowing such things to happen unchecked. People are people and will fall for crap (that's why advertising works!), so people who run social media need to take their responsibilities more seriously. But then their profits are dependent on people being able to feel free to say whatever it is their heart desires with the hopes that other users simple shame idiotic ideas away.

Which brings me back to the marketplace of ideas. The founders probably envisioned that idiotic ideas or statements would simply go away once those who held those views were "shamed" by others and/or nobody else would buy into them. I mean I think our founders were all about the marketplace of ideas, but I don't think they intended to allow people to just hack into our systems and spread fake news so unwitting, uninformed people who are voters will believe it and spread it. They also may be underestimated people's abilities to hold on to even the dumbest and most dangerous ideas due to sheer stubbornness or that idea seriously aligning with their personal biases and beliefs.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
For me, I'm not talking about social media generally. I like my cat pictures on FB especailly Peanut :D

I'm talking about Twitter, and Twitter dictates how you may speak in very specific ways so I don't see it as a marketplace of ideas in any way shape or form. You get on Twitter you communicate by Twitter's rules which are quite restrictive and have probably entirely unintentionally turned political discourse into a kind of game.

In fact the gamification is so real that I'm convinced that someone enterprising could set up a "gaming" (that is to say gambling) platform to run along side Twitter and get people to make bets one who will Tweet what when, and all the stuff about ratios and retweets and the rest.

Also the liberal mantra that various technologies such as social media are never the cause of social problems sounds a darn sight lot like "guns don't kill people, people kill people" to me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 7, Guests: 5)