Dangers of a Trump Presidency--Part 7

mag

So was it suicide or did one of his very powerful friends send someone to keep him quiet? I don’t suppose we will ever know.

I don’t generally do conspiracies, but given how well he has been covered for in the past, it is not unreasonable to wonder.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Three A's, T&M, P&C
But that was not what happened. The waitress stopped smiling and the women asked her what was wrong. (Which I find curious in itself but that may very well be a cultural thing.) They probably didn't expect that answer and/or didn't expect honesty but that's what they got.
I really don't know why the waitress thought it was a good idea to be honest. But she was honest. That's why she got fired. (And as I've said before, I did not have an issue with that).
The way I see it is that all parties involved made choices and there were consequences and that was it.
I disagree somewhat. Typically when an employee makes a mistake (being honest may have been a mistake in this environment), a manager would normally explain the employee what was wrong, and educate her/him, or even give a warning,but to fire an employee for such a minor offense? That seems extreme to me. A better way to handle this may have been- 1. Apologize to the customer (I will address the issue so it doesn’t happen again, 2. One on one with that employee, 3. Address all employees to make sure they understand that political views should be set aside when serving customers. If customers abuse them, tell the manager (don’t try to handle it yourself).

I think it was the firing that spread the news so quickly. A simple warning/training would have fixed the problem quietly.

Yehudi

Proving the ocean is pink
So was it suicide or did one of his very powerful friends send someone to keep him quiet? I don’t suppose we will ever know.

I don’t generally do conspiracies, but given how well he has been covered for in the past, it is not unreasonable to wonder.
My first thought was the scene in Godfather II where Frank Pantangeli was found dead after Tom Hagen paid him a visit

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I’m not a conspiracy theory person, but this is one situation where I wouldn’t be surprised if one of those theories had truth in it.
Especially given he was found unconscious in his cell just last week. Powerful friends can also make powerful enemies if threatened.

jeffisjeff

Nobody should be surprised if Trump and his people have ties to white supremacists and nationalists. The whole premise of “Make America Great Again” was all about that. I mean the whole immigration policy and the detention centers is all about that as well.
I assume you are responding to the article about the state department person who was put on leave? If so, turns out he joined the State Department under Obama.

VGThuy

I assume you are responding to the article about the state department person who was put on leave? If so, turns out he joined the State Department under Obama.
My point still stands. The question is how well hidden he kept those views and how brazen he became about his white nationalist policies with Trump and his policies normalizing it. If he was always open about it then how come it took so long to vet him and how come it came out now. An explanation could be that SPLC may be keeping a closer watch these days but I can also see people showing their true selves now.

BittyBug

And the band played on
How could there not be conspiracy theories when a high-profile sex offender with known ties to extremely powerful people allegedly kills himself while in government custody, after allegedly having tried to kill himself only a few weeks ago? It's difficult to accept that this was Epstein's own actions when after the first "attempt" he should have been under watch and certainly without anything that he could have used to harm himself? That is, if the government truly wanted to be able to bring him to trial.

The best theory I've read thus far is that the arrest itself was a ruse and that the target was not Epstein but rather the many tape recordings that were allegedly in his safe.

At any rate, there will be much finger pointing, but my own personal conspiracy theory is that whoever did it is also doing their very best to point people in the opposite direction. We will likely never know the truth.

ballettmaus

It's a prison. I'm not sure how invested in preventing a suicide anyone there would be.

A comment I read pointed out that there should be security camera feed. If for some reason there isn't, then I'll certainly become a lot more suspicious than I am now but at the moment, I'm willing to accept it as a suicide.

ETA: I just read that NBC is saying that Epstein was taken off suicide watch prior to his death. I guess, that could be true. Or they could just be covering their butts.

Susan1

It's a prison. I'm not sure how invested in preventing a suicide anyone there would be.
Could they be guilty of something by not making sure he stuck around so that the victims would receive justice? Although, the civil suits are still going on. And if I was a victim, I would be glad that I wouldn't have to look at his face anymore.

BittyBug

And the band played on
This wasn't some run of the mill criminal. If SDNY was truly seeking justice for the victims, the BOP could / should have been under strict order to make sure that nothing happened to him. It's not that hard.

ballettmaus

The DOJ has filed a petition asking the US Federal Labor Relations Authority to look into possibly decertifying the National Association of Immigration Judges. DOJ claims immigration judges are "management". https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/justice-department-moves-to-potentially-decertify-immigration-judges-union/2019/08/09/17dc0450-bae4-11e9-a091-6a96e67d9cce_story.html

Trump picked the current director for the National Counterterrorism Center as acting DNI. The article says he barely knows the director and he sounds normal, so I doubt he was Trump's pick. https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/trumps-pick-for-intelligence-director-is-a-respected-special-operations-veteran/2019/08/09/f07b6f5e-bab1-11e9-b3b4-2bb69e8c4e39_story.html

The lawyer of a Montana man who reportedly fractured the skull of a teenager for not taking off his hat during the National anthem claims that Trump (in his capacity as commander-in-chief) made his client do it and he didn't understand that he was committing a crime (because he is an Army veteran and suffered from a brain injury). https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/08/08/man-claims-trump-inspired-him-attack-year-old-who-wore-hat-during-national-anthem-lawyer-says/

ballettmaus

Amnesty International has also issued a US travel warning. So who is Trump going to warn against in retaliation? The world? :shuffle:

Zemgirl

Shouldn't the Epstein case and suicide be in a separate thread? There's certainly been speculation about his relationship to Trump (among other powerful people), but it seems rather tangential to currently known dangers of a Trump presidency.

In actual Trump news, he is reportedly upset that Israel isn't blocking Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib from entering the country.

ballettmaus

Shouldn't the Epstein case and suicide be in a separate thread? There's certainly been speculation about his relationship to Trump (among other powerful people), but it seems rather tangential to currently known dangers of a Trump presidency.

In actual Trump news, he is reportedly upset that Israel isn't blocking Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib from entering the country.
I have no problem moving the Epstein discussing out of here but I'm not sure the connection was just tangential. Trump is accused of having raped a 13 year old girl at Epstein's mansion, he's downplayed/lied about his relationship with Epstein (shocker, I know), his former Sec of Labor was involved in the plea deal and I just read that the unsealed documents say that at least one victim worked at Mar-a-Lago when she was recruited to give Epstein "massages". ("Two decades ago" would also roughly coincide with the time flight logs show Trump was on Epstein's plane). https://www.politico.com/story/2019/08/09/epstein-mar-a-lago-trump-1456221

ETA: Trump is now also retweeting the conspiracy theory that Epstein is dead because of his Clinton connection.

Last edited:

VGThuy

This makes me think there's more projection going on. Trump usually gets really aggressive when he's thinking the best defense is an offense.

caseyedwards

I am trying to remember if I posted this already. Anyway, definitely worth watching as Fox News calls out Peter Navarro

There is no real primary opponent like a Romney or Sasse or Kasich but Fox does oppose trump as republican nominee in 2020

aftershocks

Well, Benjamin Franklin obviously never experienced the comfort and pleasure to be gained from snuggling with a furry family member. :)
I guess good 'ol Ben wasn't smart enough to invent Frontline flea and tick topical treatment for dogs and cats. :cat: :dog:

I wish someone would invent a way to forthwith get DT out of the WH and facing his just desserts, before the cumulative damage multiplies beyond containability. 😵

Prancer

Needs More Sleep
Staff member
How to create lasting loyalty:
Is this bad? The government offers a number of programs designed to get talented young people interested in government work. I just referred one of the best students I have ever had to one of those programs. Should I not have done that?

I am rather :wideeyes: at the idea of high schoolers with TS/SCI clearances, but other than that.....?

Prancer

Needs More Sleep
Staff member
Not "bad".
Interesting, given the "contempt" with which young people are often viewed.
Okay. So what is the connection between the dangers of the Trump administration, loyalty and the contempt with which young people are often viewed? :confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 5, Guests: 9)