Dangers of a Trump Presidency--Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsZem

He used to say "I haven't got a racist bone in my body" Which is true: bones are racist, minds are.
I believe it was Joe Biden who said that this means that Trump has no bones.

“I think my rhetoric brings people together,” Trump said
Up is down, long is short, in is out and how long we can go on like this without losing it completely I do not know.
Oh, I'd say it brings plenty of people together. Though not all of them for the reasons Trump thinks.

ballettmaus

A DC waitress seems to have been fired over her attitude towards Trump supporters. https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...daa26e-b870-11e9-a091-6a96e67d9cce_story.html

I don't think the waitress' behavior was particularly smart but I do understand where she is coming from.
What really struck me was this though:

Johanning said she told the manager that if they didn’t feel welcome because of their conservative values, they should get their money back and the manager agreed. She said she felt for the first time that she was being discriminated against due to her political views.

Poor privileged white woman. If she thought this was discriminatory, how about she takes a moment to think about what her precious President is doing and how POC, immigrants, the disabled and the LGBTQ community feel. But I guess, that's too much to ask.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
A DC waitress seems to have been fired over her attitude towards Trump supporters. https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...daa26e-b870-11e9-a091-6a96e67d9cce_story.html

I don't think the waitress' behavior was particularly smart but I do understand where she is coming from.
What really struck me was this though:

Poor privileged white woman. If she thought this was discriminatory, how about she takes a moment to think about what her precious President is doing and how POC, immigrants, the disabled and the LGBTQ community feel. But I guess, that's too much to ask.

What I noticed about this was "First, the customer posted her version of events on Facebook Live right after the encounter."

1. Why?
2. Even so, why is it news that is picked up by a mainstream outlet?

Is every interaction between people potential fodder for the outrage machine that powers seemingly all media these days?

ballettmaus

I don't know. As far as I read the information he shared was public information anyway. He just spread it. I kind of agree with the folks who say that if the donors don't want their names to be spread around, they shouldn't be donating.

The GOP is rich though. Talking about how someone should't be targeted for their political beliefs. Where was that outrage when Trump went after four Congresswomen?

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I don't know. As far as I read the information he shared was public information anyway. He just spread it. I kind of agree with the folks who say that if the donors don't want their names to be spread around, they shouldn't be donating.

Its not that their names aren't publicly available but that putting them out there does draw attention to them that could lead to people harassing them. What was Castro's point? Just to shame them, or to get them harassed? I don't think that is a good practice. He could call out Trump supporters and note that you can find their names at suchandsuch.com without sending a list that frankly does look like an invitation for them to be harassed or worse.

Look I generally really like Joaquin Castro, but I think he and all Democrats are open for criticism. I'm taken aback by how much liberal commentators fell in lock step in saying there was nothing wrong with this. Except for Paul Waldman who wrote: Joaquin Castro just did Mitch McConnell a big favor

ballettmaus

What I noticed about this was "First, the customer posted her version of events on Facebook Live right after the encounter."

1. Why?

My guess would be because they felt discriminated against and needed the world to know. And they call liberals snowflakes.

Its not that their names aren't publicly available but that putting them out there does draw attention to them that could lead to people harassing them. What was Castro's point? Just to shame them, or to get them harassed?

The question is, did he have a point/was he thinking when he did that or just furious?

I don't think that is a good practice. He could call out Trump supporters and note that you can find their names at suchandsuch.com without sending a list that frankly does look like an invitation for them to be harassed or worse.

That certainly would have been the better option.

Look I generally really like Joaquin Castro, but I think he and all Democrats are open for criticism.

I agree. And yes, maybe he could have handled it better. But Republicans really need to spare us their outrage.

VALuvsMKwan

Wandering Goy
Its not that their names aren't publicly available but that putting them out there does draw attention to them that could lead to people harassing them. What was Castro's point? Just to shame them, or to get them harassed? I don't think that is a good practice. He could call out Trump supporters and note that you can find their names at suchandsuch.com without sending a list that frankly does look like an invitation for them to be harassed or worse.

Look I generally really like Joaquin Castro, but I think he and all Democrats are open for criticism. I'm taken aback by how much liberal commentators fell in lock step in saying there was nothing wrong with this. Except for Paul Waldman who wrote: Joaquin Castro just did Mitch McConnell a big favor

I don't understand. If political contributions are legally speech :bribe:, wasn't he just quoting several of the donors in a list of each of their statements regarding a certain issue?

Last edited:

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
My guess would be because they felt discriminated against and needed the world to know. And they call liberals snowflakes.

Or she had a political agenda. Which she did, obviously.

I get better why people post everything to FB, they want attention but then why does it become news?

VALuvsMKwan

Wandering Goy
I support Castro publicizing the donors. I think their reaction is very telling. They know there's something shameful about it no matter how they spin it.

I don't think that any of them are ashamed one bit about what and how much they "said" - I think they're scared to death about anyone knowing about it and "speaking" back to them.

Susan1

This is sick beyond words but many of Trump"s supporters were upset about his non-vile (relatively) speech right after the shootings and they wanted the Trump they knew and love. Gross.
You mean another hostage video. You can always tell when he is reading something off the teleprompter that he doesn't mean. It's a complete monotone.

ballettmaus

The waitress was completely out of line. The proper response when the customer asked her what was wrong was either "Nothing" or "Can I get you some coffee?"

And the First Amendment does not prevent a private employer from firing an employee either because of her political views or her lack of common courtesy to a customer.

The café management said she was fired for her general performance, not just this one incident, so who knows. Like I said, I understand where she was coming from but I also don't think that her behavior was smart. It's a customer service job.

But my issue isn't with the firing. My issue is with white men and women who tell the world that they voted for a racist who doesn't do anything but discriminate and then whine about discrimination when someone tells them that they have an issue with that. The waitress didn't even refuse to serve them. She just stopped smiling. (Which basically means she acted like most every waiter/waitress in Berlin :p) They voted for a man who thinks the white straight race is superior to everyone else, so they have to own it.

Vagabond

The waitress didn't even refuse to serve them. She just stopped smiling. (Which basically means she acted like most every waiter/waitress in Berlin :p) They voted for a man who thinks the white straight race is superior to everyone else, so they have to own it.
I must have missed where it said in the article that either of the customers had voted for Trump in 2016. Perhaps you could quote the pertinent passage.

ballettmaus

I must have missed where it said in the article that either of the customers had voted for Trump in 2016. Perhaps you could quote the pertinent passage.

Okay, it didn't say that. I assumed that because of the pin. But really, whether or not they voted for him doesn't change anything about how I feel about the fact that they have to own it. Then they have to own that they support him.

mag

Okay, it didn't say that. I assumed that because of the pin. But really, whether or not they voted for him doesn't change anything about how I feel about the fact that they have to own it. Then they have to own that they support him.

This is the along the same lines as Republicans getting their knickers in a twist because someone pointed out specific people who donated to the Republican Party. The info was already public, and if you are willing to fund something then clearly you must agree with what they are doing, and if you agree with it then it certainly wouldn’t be anything immoral or illegal or stupid, so why not own it? What is the problem? You should be proud.

Now if anonymous donations were allowed, that would be different. I mean, you should still be willing to own what you support, but I can see people not necessarily wanting everyone to know how much they give to charity.

Last edited:

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
I support Castro publicizing the donors. I think their reaction is very telling. They know there's something shameful about it no matter how they spin it.
The news tonight reported several of these donors also donated to Castro's campaign. I believe they said there were at least four. If he's so intent on providing information to the public, he ought to disclose all the details and be accurate about it.

Prancer

Aun Aprendo
Staff member
Is every interaction between people potential fodder for the outrage machine that powers seemingly all media these days?

Yes. Facebook is full of this crap and it gives people the impression that outlier events are common and happen every day and we are all UNDER ATTACK.

The waitress was completely out of line.

ITA. I'd have fired her in a New York minute.

How did they not own it? Did they disavow Trump or something? Or do you expect them to do 10 Hail Marys and a couple of Our Fathers in penance for what you perceive to be their sins? Do you want them to recite a list of all the terrible things they support by voting for Trump and maybe whip themselves a few times while they are at it?

Thirty years ago or so, I was working as a tutor in a university writing center and some of the female tutors decided to band together and refuse to tutor Middle Eastern males because they objected to Islamic oppression of women. I thought it was a terrible thing when the director indulged them in this. Your job is to tutor whoever comes in the door. Sit your ass down and help those guys write their papers. They are people, not symbols of what you think it means to be Islamic. I thought at the time that I hoped that this wasn't going to become a trend, but here we are. Pharmacists don't want to serve people seeking birth control. Bakers don't want to make cakes for gay couples. Servers don't want to wait on Trump supporters. But why can't we all live together?

Vagabond

I would have thought that wearing a button that said "Trump 2020. Keep America Great" was more than adequate to "own" one's views on the matter. :shuffle:

DFJ

680 undocumented immigrants arrested in Mississippi.

Leaving children without their parents when they got home from school so that neighbours had to step in to look after them. What the hell has happened to your country? Is there not a better solution because this one is disgusting.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Yes. Facebook is full of this crap and it gives people the impression that outlier events are common and happen every day and we are all UNDER ATTACK.

This is why my focus is on the media that pick up these stories. Granted the media are not sociologists studying trends with statistical analysis but they should at least be filtering material so that they report on things of importance, and in fact trends, rather than using individual incidents as click bait.

I would certainly want to know if people wearing Trump paraphernalia were regularly receiving bad treatment in D.C. businesses or being harassed on the street. I see a lot of tourists with MAGA hats and stuff (the vendors sell them). They have that right. I think they are making a bad judgement in supporting Trump but I don't think they should face harassment for it when they come to D.C. However, I've seen no suggestions that there is any such trend, and this one incident is so minor as to be one that isn't worth remarking on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information