Dangers of a Trump Presidency--Part 7

ballettmaus

Op-Ed on the double standards of Republicans when it comes to bigotry. https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/07/republicans-standards-nothing-racist/594223/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=share

Perspective from an asylum officer who has been an officer for more than 26 years. https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/i-became-an-asylum-officer-to-help-people-now-i-put-them-back-in-harms-way/2019/07/19/1c9f98f0-a962-11e9-9214-246e594de5d5_story.html?utm_term=.75eceb88663f

The EPA allowed the use of a pesticide that has been linked to neurological damage in children (and the Obama administration was on track to ban). https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2019/07/18/epa-will-not-ban-use-controversial-pesticide-linked-childrens-health-problems/?utm_term=.f85151c64390

Senators Cruz and Cassidy have introduced a resolution that would label members of Antifa as domestic terrorists. https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/07/20/senators-want-antifa-activists-be-labeled-domestic-terrorists-heres-what-that-means/?utm_term=.6a9d6136c98e

“Antifa are terrorists, violent masked bullies who ‘fight fascism’ with actual fascism, protected by Liberal privilege,” Sen. Bill Cassidy (R-La.) said in a statement. “Bullies get their way until someone says no. Elected officials must have courage, not cowardice, to prevent terror.”
How cute. What a hypocrite!

That aside, if you declare an organization domestic terrorists even though members are said to not have been responsible for any deaths but don't do the same for the (right-wing) extremists that are responsible for a number of deaths, nothing good will come out of it.

demetriosj

Oh hi you're back. Now you can answer the question, what exactly do you think Trump meant by telling those congresswomen to "go back to where they came from"?
Geez since I can't post anything without you hounding me about the above, I'll give you my thoughts on this.

You conveniently leave out the rest of his tweet. He did not tell them to leave and never come back. He said come back and show us how it's done. All they are is negative energy, constantly complaining about the US and calling anyone who disagrees with or challenges them racist. It's getting old. But they really are insignificant.

I do wish he would stop wasting time on these four and focus on the Justice Democrats and Saikat Chakrabarti who ran them. They are the brains behind the radical ideas these four repeat and are where the real danger lies.

Zemgirl

Geez since I can't post anything without you hounding me about the above, I'll give you my thoughts on this.

You conveniently leave out the rest of his tweet. He did not tell them to leave and never come back. He said come back and show us how it's done. All they are is negative energy, constantly complaining about the US and calling anyone who disagrees with or challenges them racist. It's getting old. But they really are insignificant.
So Pressley should go back and fix Boston and then come back once she'd been a good mayor. Is that it? Perhaps Trump is an admirer of Pete Buttigieg, as Pence once was.

Are you at all interested in figure skating? Even if it's only "who is Donald Trump's favorite skater?" or "What music would Trump skate to if he were an elite skater?"

Prancer

Your Overlord
Staff member

You conveniently leave out the rest of his tweet. He did not tell them to leave and never come back. He said come back and show us how it's done.
And you are conveniently ignoring the part where he said they should go back to the totally broken and crime-infested places from which they came.

Where did they come from that they should return there?

That aside, if you declare an organization domestic terrorists even though members are said to not have been responsible for any deaths but don't do the same for the (right-wing) extremists that are responsible for a number of deaths, nothing good will come out of it.
Are we defining terrorism as terrorism only if those accused of terrorism kill people? Because that isn't how I've ever seen the term defined.

And what right-wing extremists are we talking about here? Are we talking about a particular group?

ballettmaus

Prancer

Your Overlord
Staff member
I read this article yesterday and it made me feel kind of bleak. It doesn't sound like there's anything that can be done and all we can do is hope:(
Cognitive dissonance is a human condition from which we all suffer, but we lurch ever onward anyway.

mag

All they are is negative energy, constantly complaining
So perhaps they learned that from Trump. He has done nothing but complain for years! He was complaining before he announced his candidacy, he complained his whole way through the campaign, he complained in his inaugural speech, and he keeps on complaining now. MAGA is based on nothing but complaining. I cannot think of another American public figure who has whined and complained more about the US and it’s government than Trump. Maybe he should go back to Germany, eh?

The big difference between Trump and someone like AOC, is that AOC actually makes constructive policy suggestions. She and her staff actually do the hard work of researching problems and coming up with possible solutions. Trump and his team do nothing. They whine and complain about the problems and then throw out off the cuff solutions based only on their narrow uniformed view of the world. There is absolutely no evidence to suggest that solutions will work and often evidence to suggest they will make the problem worse.

You don’t have to agree with AOC on policy, but your can’t, without looking like a complete idiot, suggest that she isn’t working her butt off to try and make things better.

Zemgirl

Not all of us use it to justify/excuse Trump's behavior, though.
Cognitive dissonance can't be used to excuse Trump's behavior; the people who are affected by it don't recognize that they're affected by it, or by confirmation bias, or that they are judging things based on the source and not the content.

And as Prancer notes, all of us affected by these things, and don't always recognize the effects. The problem is that for Trump supporters, these psychological processes are reinforcing biases and prejudice.

(Not that the rest of us are necessarily free of those, either)

demetriosj

So perhaps they learned that from Trump. He has done nothing but complain for years! He was complaining before he announced his candidacy, he complained his whole way through the campaign, he complained in his inaugural speech, and he keeps on complaining now. MAGA is based on nothing but complaining. I cannot think of another American public figure who has whined and complained more about the US and it’s government than Trump. Maybe he should go back to Germany, eh?

The big difference between Trump and someone like AOC, is that AOC actually makes constructive policy suggestions. She and her staff actually do the hard work of researching problems and coming up with possible solutions. Trump and his team do nothing. They whine and complain about the problems and then throw out off the cuff solutions based only on their narrow uniformed view of the world. There is absolutely no evidence to suggest that solutions will work and often evidence to suggest they will make the problem worse.
This is the pot calling the kettle black.

MacMadame

Cat Lady-in-Training
Cognitive dissonance is a human condition from which we all suffer, but we lurch ever onward anyway.
Agreed.

I think the issue for many people is that they don't understand how Trump supporters think. Hopefully this will help them understand. But also, I think it shows how not to deal with them. When someone is in the throes of confirmation bias / cognitive dissonance, you can't reason with them. It's better to not address the problem head on, I think. Instead, I think we have to constantly whittle away in a sideways manner.

ballettmaus

Cognitive dissonance can't be used to excuse Trump's behavior; the people who are affected by it don't recognize that they're affected by it, or by confirmation bias, or that they are judging things based on the source and not the content.
The point I was (badly, apparently) trying to make was that the article basically says it's very likely that Republicans are going to twist themselves like a pretzel to stand by Trump no matter what he does and there is really nothing we can do about. If things get worse, it leaves little to be hopeful about.

caseyedwards

If only every single republican since Goldwater in 1964 wasn’t depicted as an evil racist monster by democrats and media elites!!! Republicans no longer believe in racism because they are all accused of being racist every election. All of them evil racist monsters!!! Especially Mccain in 2008!!! When that woman said Obama was an Arab and Mccain took the mic away from her- horrible moment for his campaign. Everyone agreed McCain’s evil racist comparing was getting out of control and John Lewis called Mccain George Wallace. Mccain evil racist monster and Romney an evil racist monster this meant real evil racist monster was no longer possible! Unless you have like a yearbook with someone in a kkk robe or something!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 6)