Dangers of a Trump Presidency--Part 7

Prancer

Needs More Sleep
Staff member
You just know that at some point they'll trot out "failure is not an option." Which back in the day meant that people continued to work on problem solving, not that everything worked perfectly.
I would be really suprised if it hasn't been trotted out already and just hasn't taken off because they are too busy misuing business buzzwords.

This piece in bang on. This is exactly what the research and development workers are being told it means to be "lean" and "agile." Everything is "fail fast." It makes me want to scream.

Miezekatze

The actual idea of "fail fast" is not at all that you instantly abandon something when something fails once, it just means that you try stuff out rather freely and get feedback from customers as early as possible to find out whether you're going into the right direction and if not you'll either abandon that approach and try something new or you adapt what you're doing. But it's not exactly surprising that Trump would totally misunderstand concepts and just do something completely idiotic. :shuffle:

Besides, there's no way this method can work with something like NASA research. There's no customer you can ask for early feedback (the main point of this approach is to find out if you are meeting the actual business needs of your customer or if you misunderstood him and are on the verge of producing a product that nobody wants) and probably no way to determine success very early in the project based on some drafts.

Susan1

It wouldn’t be great for Kasich or Romney or Sasse to have all the California delegates!

What a coward!! He could have worked to impeach trump for so many high crimes he committed in 2017.
I keep asking why it's always the "former" this or that Republican who criticizes or speaks out against trump. Where are their balls when they are in office?
Can I use my new favorite saying - he folded like a cheap lawn chair? :) (and I can't even remember now who said it)

rfisher

Let the skating begin
That's not really the issue, though I do imagine he would be all :angryfire :wuzrobbed and :mad:.

:violin:

First, California's primaries for Congress and the Legislature will be on the same date, and, under state law, the top two vote-getters in the primary move on to the general election regardless of party affiliation. I would expect that some Republicans won't vote if they can't vote in the primary, thereby increasing the chances that two Democrats will face each other in races in which a Republican (or two) might otherwise make the general election. :summer:

Second, there will be state and local ballot measures as well, and a depressed Republican turnout could affect outcomes. 🤷‍♂️

Third, I would expect Trump and the California Republican Party to sue. Regardless of whether they won, the question will be asked again and again why Trump doesn't just release his taxes. 🤨

Fourth, if California does this, other states with a Democratic "trifecta," i.e., party control of both houses of the Legislature and of the governorship, may well do the same. I think New York would be one of those states. :barrel

:watch:
His response would also be to threaten to cut off any federal money going to CA which would cause an uproar ::watch:

Vagabond

Did you mean can't vote for Trump in the primary? Because there is no technical reason registered Republicans couldn't vote in the primary. So that's what I figured you meant but I wasn't sure.
Yes, that's what I meant. I suppose that there will be a Republican primary in any event, with William Weld on the ballot.

ballettmaus

Oh, dear:
Why do they not just let counsel ask questions?

So, in short - there are many things to criticize when it comes to the Trump administration and Republicans more generally, but I don't think this is really one of them. Although if they expect NASA to achieve the 2024 goal, maybe telling it to turn itself "into a leaner, more accountable and more agile organization" (Republican-speak for "we don't want to give you the money you need", I believe) is not the best way of going about it.
It's not about the many things for me, it's about using the money for other things that seem more pressing to me. I'm sure NASA can help with climate change research, for example. Not only is going to the moon not climate friendly, I think putting money into climate research is a lot more pressing.

MacMadame

Cat Lady-in-Training
I think it's already too late for the Mueller hearing. Anything that comes out of it will be anti-climatic and also most people who need to pay attention (vs those of us who were paying attention at the time and even read parts or all of the report) will have moved on.

I am very upset about this.

ballettmaus

ballettmaus

The passed the annual defense authorization bill. It includes a provision that denies Trump the use of federal money in case of a strike against Iran without congressional approval. https://usatoday.com/story/news/world/2019/07/12/house-passes-bill-bar-trump-from-launching-iran-strike-and-end-us-support-saudi-arabia-war-in-yemen/1708612001/

Pompeo questioned the CIA analysts about their Russia intelligence gathering after he became CIA director back in 2017. He has not signaled that he found any wrongdoing on their part. So, Congress looked into it, Pompeo did, Mueller did. The AG of UT is looking into it as are the IG and AG of CT. And Trump's accusing Democrats of wanting a "do-over" :rofl: Is this guy ever not projecting?

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
Yeah, I know about Obama's deportations.

They led among other things to the Supreme Court case of Padilla vs. Kentucky (a ruling that led to my son in law to avoid being deported, after he was picked up by ICE and jailed in Worcester.)

but I have never seen such fear among my immigrant friends as there is now, under Trump.

and this operation in my town is typical of groups who cared for unaccompanied children in the Obama administration:

here is their statement on immigrant children:

Statement on Immigrant Children:

Noank Community Support Services, Inc. is a 501C non-profit organization that services those in need in a variety of ways, including adults with chronic mental illness, young adults that are homeless and children in foster care. We have offered culturally sensitive, trauma-informed and gender-responsive services for over 46 years. One of our many services, for which we received a HHS grant, is a shelter for Unaccompanied Alien Children under age 18. We provide a safe, family-like environment for up to 12 children to stay, while we locate sponsors, who are usually family, for them. It usually takes us approximately 4-6 weeks to reunify them with family. We have a clinician, case managers, nurse and a teacher on staff, as well as partners in the community who provide medical care as needed. These children have left their countries due to severe threats and violence from drug lords- to them, to the babies of teenage mothers or to their family. They have witnessed murders and other atrocities that no child should ever experience. Their journeys to the U.S. have been long, traumatic and dangerous. They are simply trying to survive. They are sent to us after processing at the border. We mostly have housed teenagers, some with their babies and some sibling pairs whose parents have been murdered. They often have some family contacts in the US that we are able to connect them with. Ours is a safe and caring environment for them. They are often able to relax, play and have fun with us for the first time in a long time. We help them to process their trauma histories. Many have never received education or only limited schooling and are very excited to learn. We accompany the children to court in their appeal to seek asylum, and have legal partners who represent them. The children enjoy being with us and at times keep in contact after discharge. Our grant covers some of our operating costs and we rely on donations as well. Our mission statement is: Improving Lives, fostering self-reliance and providing hope for the future through individualized service and access to resources of the larger community.
We are unable to disclose the location of our services for these children out of respect for them and for their safety. We are also not able to speak about specific children for privacy reasons. General questions about our agency can be directed to [email protected] or other questions about the program of HHS may be directed to [email protected]

Regina Moller
Executive Director
not much like Trump's Kids in Cages, or like the Ice facebook group.

caseyedwards

12 children?!?! lol there are tens of thousands a month!! This is why you can’t eliminate for profits until you raise spending enough to non profits so they can handle at least 120 or 1200 each or establish open borders

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
12 children?!?! lol there are tens of thousands a month!! This is why you can’t eliminate for profits until you raise spending enough to non profits so they can handle at least 120 or 1200 each or establish open borders
The way the Obama administration handled this, they had tons of places like this all over, some larger.

Afair, Riverfront is expanding to 20 kids and a other building to put them in.

Prancer

Needs More Sleep
Staff member
just because those who can only think inside a partisan globe and can't wait to call everyone to the left hypocrites didn't hear about, didn't mean no one opposed Obama's policies.
I distinctly remember quite a few people here being upset about Obama's policies, so if others want to accuse people HERE of hypocrisy, they might want to do a few post searches before making accusations.

Not that anyone here would toss insults at others based on nothing but partisanship.

caseyedwards

The way the Obama administration handled this, they had tons of places like this all over, some larger.

Afair, Riverfront is expanding to 20 kids and a other building to put them in.
Trumps dealing with triple the number Obama did! It’s really crazy. It’s so bad local charities are saying “no more, we’re full”

skatesindreams

Whatever occurred during the Obama administration bears little resemblance to how the current administration regards this issue; and responds to it.

caseyedwards

Then they need to send more people to New London county, and Connecticut in general. We are not full.
There would still be periods of detention as they organize the bus trips or plane Trips where they send all the people around America. Remember that famous picture of the baby bus from the Obama years? People called it a prison bus for babies! So that would be controversial. And this wouldn’t be because of family separation policy! Parents are sending 10 year olds with babies and toddlers across the border.

Whatever occurred during the Obama administration bears little resemblance to how the current administration regards this issue; and responds to it.
Yes they view it as totally law enforcement! The laws that say “you need a visa to enter america” “you need to go to port of entry for asylum!” It could be much more humanitarian but also just flouting the written laws and rules. They might do a daca now for border crossers

VGThuy

Mike Pence is the devil. His posts defending the detention centers while attacking CNN despite the photos painting an incredibly different picture from the rosy picture Pence describes almost makes me want to just wait it out with Trump rather than impeach. We are kidding ourselves if things would be any better under Pence. It'll be the same crap but different approach and temperament.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 4)