Dangers of a Trump Presidency--Part 7

canbelto

Yeah he was "joking" about leaving office in 10 or 14 years ...
I really think he plans to have Ivanka run in 2024.

ballettmaus

The House Judiciary voted to supoena 12 people connected to Trump. https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/house-panel-poised-to-subpoena-kushner-sessions-and-10-others-with-ties-to-trump/2019/07/11/01585dc2-a3cf-11e9-b8c8-75dae2607e60_story.html?utm_term=.ea90e9ef7435

In addition to seeking subpoenas for Kushner and Sessions, the committee voted to authorize Nadler to summon former White House chief of staff John F. Kelly; former national security adviser Michael Flynn; former Trump campaign manager Corey Lewandowski; former deputy attorney general Rod J. Rosenstein; former White House deputy chief of staff Rick Dearborn; Assistant Attorney General Jody Hunt; and former White House staff secretary Rob Porter.

The committee is also seeking to compel testimony related to payments before the 2016 election to women who claimed to have had affairs with Trump years ago.

To that end, the committee voted to authorize subpoenas of Keith Davidson, a former attorney for adult-film star Stormy Daniels, National Enquirer editor Dylan Howard and American Media Inc. chief executive David Pecker. Prosecutors allege that Howard and Pecker were involved in deals to silence Daniels and former Playboy model Karen McDougal.
We should start to place bets on who is going to show up :D

ballettmaus

Yesterday, the MD judge rejected the change of census legal team as well (although, he seems more open to allowing it in general) https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/second-federal-judge-blocks-justice-dept-bid-to-replace-census-attorneys/2019/07/10/4a82fb80-a35a-11e9-b732-41a79c2551bf_story.html?utm_term=.e47244526820

It may all be a moot point though since ABC is announcing that Trump is expected the announce that he's giving up trying to put the question on the census during his Rose Garden presser. (Others are speculating that he's announcing executive action but ABC's was the latest).

caseyedwards

But what’s the purpose and point? Are they going to impeach trump this year?

Mueller has already said he’s guilty of obstruction and is a criminal

canbelto

See people were saying John Roberts was giving the administration an "out" for them to possibly add the census question. I read his opinion differently. I thought he was actually giving it a hard pass and what's more, rebuking them for their dishonest claims. I read his opinion like "You had your chance, we were willing to give it a fair shake, but you lied and disrespected the court by doing so therefore you blew it tough titties."

Note: I don't like John Roberts much, but I thought his opinion was very straightforward in that he was obviously disgusted with the dishonesty of the Trump legal team.

ballettmaus

The American Federation of Teachers union is suing the Department of Education alleging the department mismanaged The Public Service Loand Forgiveness program. https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/11/politics/betsy-devos-teachers-union-lawsuit/index.html

The Senate scheduled a confirmation hearing for Mark Esper as SecDef for next week even though he has not yet been officially nominated. https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/11/politics/esper-defense-secretary-confirmation-hearing/index.html

The WH is pushing for a budget deal. (Why do the mention that Pelosi could sink a new trade deal by not bringing it to the floor like it's the biggest thing ever but there's barely any mentioning in the news media in general about the bills that are piling up in the Senate because McConnell refuses to bring them to the floor?) https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/twin-challenges-on-budget-trade-test-withering-pelosi-and-trump-relationship/2019/07/10/aed2d658-a2ad-11e9-b732-41a79c2551bf_story.html?utm_term=.604db58b799d

barbarafan

The young woman who accused Trump of rape and wanted to come forward in 2016 and then decided not to alleged that she was raped by Trump at Epstein's mansion. https://twitter.com/iansmadrig/status/1068606178723270656

And Republicans keep protecting him.

(Was Clinton ever accused of assaulting a minor?)

she decided not due to threats from Epstein and Trump against her and her lawyer and they hacked her lawyers computer as well. She was 13

caseyedwards

Lawmakers OK giving Trump a choice: Release taxes or skip California primary https://www.sfchronicle.com/politics/article/Lawmakers-OK-giving-Trump-a-choice-Release-taxes-14088638.php?t=cd3eac44f0

Gov. Newsom will probably sign this, and then la merde va frapper le ventilateur. Pardon my French! 😊
This is totally unconstitutional!! The only qualification in constitution for president is 35 and natural American. Not anything about tax returns. YET!! I can’t wait until the amendment passes that says if you run for president you must release all your tax returns

Vagabond

Would he need California in a primary enough to care?
That's not really the issue, though I do imagine he would be all :angryfire :wuzrobbed and :mad:.

:violin:

First, California's primaries for Congress and the Legislature will be on the same date, and, under state law, the top two vote-getters in the primary move on to the general election regardless of party affiliation. I would expect that some Republicans won't vote if they can't vote for Trump in the primary, thereby increasing the chances that two Democrats will face each other in races in which a Republican (or two) might otherwise make the general election. :summer:

Second, there will be state and local ballot measures as well, and a depressed Republican turnout could affect outcomes. 🤷‍♂️

Third, I would expect Trump and the California Republican Party to sue. Regardless of whether they won, the question will be asked again and again why Trump doesn't just release his taxes. 🤨

Fourth, if California does this, other states with a Democratic "trifecta," i.e., party control of both houses of the Legislature and of the governorship, may well do the same. I think New York would be one of those states. :barrel

:watch:

Last edited:

ballettmaus

The WaPo article and another Reuters article mentioned that Trump's public comments probably scared several immigrants anyway and might lead to fewer responses. Is there any way for activist groups to counter that effect? Like, can they do something that is equivalent to GOTV or register people to vote or can we only hope that Trump hasn't caused too much damage?

ballettmaus

After two customers told a Burger King manager that he needs to speak English because he's in the US, he told them that they are prejudiced, ignorant and disrespectful and that he wants them to leave. (They also told him to go back to Mexico when he wants to speaks Spanish but, apparently, he's not from Mexico). https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/11/us/burger-king-mexico-florida-spanish-trnd/index.html

Republicans want stricter oversight and more constraints for money going to Puerto Rico because of the latest corruption scandal. Look at that, suddenly they care about corruption. If only they'd be so quick to call for stricter oversight and safeguards when it happens right under their noses. https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2019/07/11/puerto-rico-corruption-scandal-ripples-through-washington/?utm_term=.8ecb8814e76f

The WH is frustrated by NASA's lack of progress with regards to the mission to be back on the moon by 2024. Aren't there more important things the WH should be frustrated over? Shouldn't that be a very low priority, considering everything else that is going on? https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2019/07/11/white-house-frustration-over-moon-mission-delays-preceded-removal-top-nasa-official/?utm_term=.184cd89488d2

ballettmaus

caseyedwards

Would he need California in a primary enough to care?
It wouldn’t be great for Kasich or Romney or Sasse to have all the California delegates!
According to a new book, Ryan retired because he wanted to "escape" Trump, Nikki Haley was nominated as UN ambassador to eliminate the competition for Henry McMaster iin the race for SC Governor and Trump wanted the Iowa GOP head to invalidate the caucus result because he lost.
What a coward!! He could have worked to impeach trump for so many high crimes he committed in 2017.

Zemgirl

The WH is frustrated by NASA's lack of progress with regards to the mission to be back on the moon by 2024. Aren't there more important things the WH should be frustrated over? Shouldn't that be a very low priority, considering everything else that is going on? https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2019/07/11/white-house-frustration-over-moon-mission-delays-preceded-removal-top-nasa-official/?utm_term=.184cd89488d2
There was a lot going on in the 1960s, too, when JFK set the goal of sending a man to the moon and returning him safely, and this remained a goal that many worked to achieve as JFK was assassinated, the war in Vietnam escalated, civil rights were resisted and fought for, the cold war went on, three astronauts died in the Apollo 1 fire, and so on. There's an episode of From the Earth to the Moon that juxtaposes the first manned lunar mission (not landing) and the tumultuous events of 1968.

So, in short - there are many things to criticize when it comes to the Trump administration and Republicans more generally, but I don't think this is really one of them. Although if they expect NASA to achieve the 2024 goal, maybe telling it to turn itself "into a leaner, more accountable and more agile organization" (Republican-speak for "we don't want to give you the money you need", I believe) is not the best way of going about it.

MacMadame

Cat Lady-in-Training
I would expect that some Republicans won't vote if they can't vote in the primary,
Did you mean can't vote for Trump in the primary? Because there is no technical reason registered Republicans couldn't vote in the primary. So that's what I figured you meant but I wasn't sure.

Prancer

Needs More Sleep
Staff member
(Republican-speak for "we don't want to give you the money you need", I believe)
You are partly correct. One new thing with the Trump Admin is the "agile" requirement, by which they mean that when something fails once, it is to be abandoned and developers are to move on to something else.

This makes no sense at all from a scientific research and development perspective; that's a business perspective (and not always a particularly sound one there, either), so I don't see NASA making a lot of progress toward Mars under this requirement. Failure is part of the process.

Zemgirl

You are partly correct. One new thing with the Trump Admin is the "agile" requirement, by which they mean that when something fails once, it is to be abandoned and developers are to move on to something else.

This makes no sense at all from a scientific research and development perspective; that's a business perspective (and not always a particularly sound one there, either), so I don't see NASA making a lot of progress toward Mars under this requirement. Failure is part of the process.
You just know that at some point they'll trot out "failure is not an option." Which back in the day meant that people continued to work on problem solving, not that everything worked perfectly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 14, Guests: 34)