Dangers of a Trump Presidency--Part 7

Reuven

Official FSU Alte Kacher
Doug Collins sent a letter to Nadler reminding him of House rules ahead of Monday's John Dean hearing. (There also is a The Hill article for anyone who likes a more conservative source but I'm too lazy to open another browser to get to it and the link includes the letter)
What does it tell us that even Trumplicans automatically associate those word with the White House mobster?

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I'm seriously concerned about Trump tanking the economy with this tariff-as-immigration-policy thing. The economy slowed down last month adding 75,000 jobs, many fewer than the previous month and t he Fed is so concerned about the tariffs and trade wars they are considering reversing their policy on interest rates.

Trump has outdone himself with his belief he can use tariffs to force Mexico to stop migrants. Republicans don't like it but I wonder if they will really stand up this time. The economy is at stake.
I have zero information to support it, but I do have to wonder if the Trump tweets which impact the market allow Trump investors to cash in on some stocks when the market rises and falls. I don't know that he's smart enough to manipulate things that way, but there are certainly people who are who could whisper in his ear letting him do the work. Trump is all about Trump and nothing he does is for the country. It's for "Trump" enterprises. I would hope some watch dog group is looking at what happens when he does seemingly reckless stuff and then suddenly changes his mind.

mag

@rfisher I think Trump is savvy enough to figure that out. I have also often wondered if his tweets are really stock manipulation. He has done that in the past with buying a bunch of stock in a company, announcing he is planning to buy the whole company, waiting as other people buy and the stock rises, then quietly selling his shares before announcing he won’t be buying the company. He made quite a bit of money doing that before people caught on.

ETA:
Apparently Trump is still up to his old tricks of not paying his bills.

Last edited:

caseyedwards

Here we have story upon story of actual real suffering, of girls as young as 8 being raped, 10 year olds who are pregnant, 19 year olds who have lost two children because of poverty, yet so many do not understand or refuse to understand and show compassion. There was an interview with an auto worker the other day, someone who might have been hurt by the tariffs, and he (yes, white male) still supported Trump and saw what Trump was doing as fighting for “America.” I would have loved the interviewer to tell that self centered man some of these stories, explain to him that these are desperate people literally fighting for their lives and the lives of their children, and see what he would have said. But, it would probably have been like so many in the comments sections of these articles who only concern is they don’t want “those people” with their problems coming to “my country.”

This is where the American Dream is such a sham and an instrument of torture. No one, and mean no one, is “self made.” We are all a product of our environment and those who have go before us. Most of America’s wealth has be built on the back of the non wealthy. Whether is was slaves brought from Africa, undocumented immigrants picking your fruit or cleaning your golf resorts, or sweat shops in third world countries producing your products. It was built because they had access to education, clean drinking water, a roof over their head, and heat in the winter. None of those rich people in Washington got there on their own.

For Republican to now say that the country is full and those who are fleeing unspeakable horrors should stay away is repugnant at best.
It’s spoken all the time that if Honduras or Guatemala have horrific gang problems that’s making all the people of those countries want to enter America why don’t they unite to fix their country? Why do they allow the government of say El Salvador to ban police from bringing their guns home so when they are attacked by gangs they can’t defend themselves or their families? So now whole police departments are fleeing to America! So that’s just a choice El Salvador is making that seems to make no sense!

Then you have the woman in Honduras whose husband is killed by a gang and her house burned down and the police advise her to become a sex Slave to a gang leader! That’s why one woman flee! US money flowed freely to that country and that’s what police were telling women!

The boy in Honduras who was told by police to join the gang. Be a gang leader! It’s the best choice. US gave them money! Of course his mother fled with him to America!

Countries heal thyself!!

Susan1

ballettmaus

The NYT is reporting that the terms of Trump's shiny new deal with Mexico were agreed upon months ago. Oops.

Ms. Sanchez also told Ms. Nielsen that the Mexican government’s new national guard, which had been created just a month earlier to combat drugs and crime, would be redirected to the border with Guatemala, the entry point for most of the Central American migrants.
So, there will be fewer undocumented immigrants from Guatemala but more drugs from Mexico in the future? Great trade of.

ballettmaus

Senators Murphy and Young will introduce a bipartisan resolution to address this administration's dealings with Saudi Arabia.

Monday's resolution is based on Section 502B(c) of the Foreign Assistance Act, which permits Congress to vote on requesting to receive human rights information on countries within 30 days, according to a press release. Upon receiving it, Congress can then vote on "terminating or restricting security assistance," including the arms sales, the release states.

Once Murphy and Young introduce the resolution, the Senate Foreign Relations Committee has 10 days to consider the information request -- otherwise the two can force a floor vote to move it from the committee, according to the release.

Susan1

https://www.yahoo.com/news/tree-planted-trump-macron-symbolize-114646016.html
"The tree was removed by American authorities a few days after it was planted to be placed in quarantine like any other agricultural import to the United States. Gerard Araud, the French ambassador to the United States, took to Twitter to reassure people that the tree "will be replanted afterwards."
"One year later, though, according to French media outlet Le Monde, the tree will not, in fact, be replanted. French newspaper Le Figaro later confirmed the news. The tree reportedly has died in quarantine, never to return to the White House lawn."
Proving the truth of
Everything Trump Touches Dies
By Rick Wilson

nylynnr

I have zero information to support it, but I do have to wonder if the Trump tweets which impact the market allow Trump investors to cash in on some stocks when the market rises and falls. I don't know that he's smart enough to manipulate things that way, but there are certainly people who are who could whisper in his ear letting him do the work. Trump is all about Trump and nothing he does is for the country. It's for "Trump" enterprises. I would hope some watch dog group is looking at what happens when he does seemingly reckless stuff and then suddenly changes his mind.
Which tweets? The tweets about the Chinese trade surplus declining are borne out by U.S. Dept of Commerce data. Tweets about Mexico cooperating to stem border crossings appear to be true. And since tweets are public, any investor can decide to act on them or ignore them. They're puffery. If Pres. Trump were doling out "secret" information to a few cronies and family members, then that certainly would be manipulation.

barbarafan

A harrowing and heart-breaking account. These women and children are not getting the response and attention they deserve when they cross into the US. Meanwhile, there was news awhile back about Trump tracking the menstrual cycles of women in detention camps - I don't remember the details, exactly, but it was something along those lines.

:(
I remember that.....A spreadsheet was kept of this.

ballettmaus

Nadler has struck a deal with DOJ that allows them to view not all but key evidence of Mueller's obstruction case. Tomorrow's vote is still scheduled though. (I hope that won't change).

Elaine Chao helped KY get grants for projects that are priorities for McConnell.

ballettmaus

Perspective on the exclusion of Latino immigrants

Not only is targeting immigrants of questionable political value today, it also distracts from national problems. Rather than addressing the increased cost of living, stagnant wages, increased job insecurity and growing income inequality, activists and politicians sometimes use anti-immigrant rhetoric to encourage resentment and anger, even though keeping immigrants out will do nothing to address the actual problems plaguing their constituents’ lives.
An analysis of online comments sections of several news articles published in the spring of 2017 soon after Trump’s inauguration shows an increase of anti-Semitism and xenophobia targeting Latinos, Muslim refugees and asylum seekers. Over the past two years, comments posted in mainstream media outlets have even included open calls to shoot immigrants on the spot as soon as they cross the border.

mag

For those concerned with Tru’s and the Republican Party’s clear lack of regard for women, here is a really concise refresher on where America stands with the ERA (hint, the amendment has not been passed.)

https://youtu.be/7-qMtitDTGk

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Medvedeva, T&M, Shibs, P&C
Trump is trying to get the appeals court to block the subpoena by congress in his financial investigation.

The lawlessness continues. No respect for the justice system, blocking the investigation at every point. This is why I feel it is important to start the impeachment inquiry ASAP.

We have become a country of no legal system at this point.

ballettmaus

DOJ wants the WH to assert executive privilege if Cummings doesn't move off of his contempt vote that is scheduled for tomorrow. Apparently, the WH also asserted executive privilege over the whole Mueller report. I think I remember reading something about that but then something else happened... In any case, can the WH really use executive privilege like that? What are Congress' options to fight it?

Reuven

Official FSU Alte Kacher

ballettmaus

“I see that, and I just received a beautiful letter from Kim Jong Un,” Trump said. “I think the relationship is very well, but I appreciated the letter. I saw the information about the CIA with regard to his brother or half brother, and I would tell him that would not happen under my auspices. I wouldn’t let that happen under my auspices. I just received a beautiful letter from Kim Jong Un.”
Does he not understand how the intelligence process works? Does he think it's admirable what he's said and that it was somehow bad that Kim's half-brother was a CIA informant?

Ironically, Buttigieg said that he'd not exchange "love letters with a brutal dictator" only an hour earlier. (Someone noted the time on twitter).

once_upon

New condo owner
Trump told Iowans the flood waters will recede soon. Apparently he doesn't realize they haven't in 87+ days and in the last 10 days roads that had reopened are now closed again with no end in sight. Even though he saw them flying in and traveling on roads that have water on both sides.

How can any of his supporters can believe that waters will recede "soon"? Despite his ideas of being able to control things, he is not God.

Also told the farmers that in 18 months they will be doing better than ever before when he completes his deal with China. Even if a trade agreement is reached, the crops cannot be planted due to flooding. And they lost last year's grain when flooding burst silos filled with last year's harvest.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Medvedeva, T&M, Shibs, P&C
Trump is bragging about the drop in the number of migrants crossing the border. He claims it is because of his new deal (incorrect) with Mexico. The truth is in the summer months those numbers have always dropped due to the excessive heat.

Classic case of a rooster claiming that the sun rose in the morning because of him.

I don’t think Trump really believes the lies he tells though. He just uses the information to make himself look good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 16, Guests: 7)