Dangers of a Trump Presidency--Part 7

demetriosj

I am so sick of the democrats that if Trump wins the 2020 (he very well could), I will become an independent. I may move to (at least try to) another country. Not really sure what I will do if the unthinkable happens, but it is very very worrisome to have four more years of lawlessness and worse.
If you think living here is worrisome, try moving to Venezuela, Guatemala, Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia, etc. and check out their "lawlessness and worse.".........

demetriosj

This is how the Cliff’s notes of the Mueller report should be read so that trump supporters can understand it on a third grade level, in the cadence of “I do not like green eggs and ham. I do not like them Sam I Am. I do not like them in a house. I do not like them with a mouse. ……………………….”
Condescending, as always...

nylynnr

This is how the Cliff’s notes of the Mueller report should be read so that trump supporters can understand it on a third grade level, in the cadence of “I do not like green eggs and ham. I do not like them Sam I Am. I do not like them in a house. I do not like them with a mouse. ……………………….”
This is kind of the problem with many Democrats. If you don't fit into the elite mold with an impressive formal education, the sense among many of us out there is the party doesn't want you. Certainly it's the vibe given off by this forum. That's one of the reasons AOC appeals to so many, myself included; even if you don't agree with her on every issue, she doesn't talk down to people. She includes everyone, even lower income, less educated white people.

Simone411

Well, Bleffing Cofefe! Clippy's flipping over P/C!
Condescending, as always...
I looked up the definition of Condescending just to be sure. I used my Merrium-Webster software dictionary because it's usually very accurate.

Here is the definition of Condescending: to assume an air of superiority.

That's the definition or description of how most of your posts appear to be. Sort of like you're right and everyone else is wrong. Go figure. :shuffle:

Susan1

This is kind of the problem with many Democrats. If you don't fit into the elite mold with an impressive formal education, the sense among many of us out there is the party doesn't want you. Certainly it's the vibe given off by this forum. That's one of the reasons AOC appeals to so many, myself included; even if you don't agree with her on every issue, she doesn't talk down to people. She includes everyone, even lower income, less educated white people.
I'm certainly not elite with an impressive formal education. I just meant that if they want trump supporters to understand the Mueller report they need to present it in a way that they understand, which is how trump speaks. Simple sentences, repeat everything. They interpreted "we could not exonerate him" to "he didn't do anything wrong" because trump said "no collusion" "no obstruction" a million times.

That's the definition or description of how most of your posts appear to be. Sort of like you're right and everyone else is wrong.
Here we go again. Insult the person posting. Who did I say was wrong? I wasn't replying to anything anyone said. I've got the person you quoted ignored, so I don't know why they commented personally to me. If you have an argument against the content of my post, go for it.

Last edited:

nylynnr

Here we go again. Insult the person posting. Who did I say was wrong? I wasn't replying to anything anyone said. I've got the person you quoted ignored, so I don't know why they commented personally to me. If you have an argument against the content of my post, go for it.
I actually think, although I may be mistaken, that the post you comment on above was meant for another.

Regarding my post to you, I don't mean to single you out. It's just what I perceive to be an issue with Democrats, and it's painful that politics is so divisive. Call it Vanity Fair Syndrome: "You're a redneck dumbass and you don't count." That kind of thinking, again just my opinion, backfires, as Mr. O'Rourke is finding.

caseyedwards

demetriosj

That's the definition or description of how most of your posts appear to be. Sort of like you're right and everyone else is wrong. Go figure. :shuffle:
I just call out a lot of the BS being thrown around on this board. Only one side is accepted here. Pot calling the kettle black.

ballettmaus

I'm certainly not elite with an impressive formal education. I just meant that if they want trump supporters to understand the Mueller report they need to present it in a way that they understand, which is how trump speaks. Simple sentences, repeat everything. They interpreted "we could not exonerate him" to "he didn't do anything wrong" because trump said "no collusion" "no obstruction" a million times.
I don't know about you but whenever there's something that's written in "legal speak" I look for an analysis to go with it. One of the reasons I haven't read the report yet is because it was written by prosecutors and I'm not sure how much of it will make sense. So far, I've stuck to short summaries and analysis. (Although, I do want to read it).

Most of them don't even know what's in the report (and that doesn't just go for Republicans). They heard what Barr said and they hear what Trump said and they maybe heard some of what Fox News said. So, they didn't really interpret much.

ballettmaus

The Post obtained a list of 1,200 VIPs who stayed at the Trump Hotel last year. One of the guests was an Iraqi sheikh who has political ambitions and wants to see the government of Iran overthrown. https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/a-wealthy-iraqi-sheikh-who-urges-a-hard-line-us-approach-to-iran-spent-26-nights-at-trumps-dc-hotel/2019/06/06/3ea74c5e-7bf9-11e9-a66c-d36e482aa873_story.html?utm_term=.0f958b1be043

And, apparently, Republicans are now clutching their pearls because Pelosi's alleged words are beneath the dignity of the office. :rofl:

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
And, apparently, Republicans are now clutching their pearls because Pelosi's alleged words are beneath the dignity of the office. :rofl:
You mean the part about wanting Trump in jail?

Nothing about dignity, but I have to say I don't like that being said. Yes, a lot of us believe Trump has abused his power, but it still is a very scary thing to have an opposition law maker say she wants the president to go to jail. It is indicative of a terrible state for our democracy.

ballettmaus

You mean the part about wanting Trump in jail?

Nothing about dignity, but I have to say I don't like that being said. Yes, a lot of us believe Trump has abused his power, but it still is a very scary thing to have an opposition law maker say she wants the president to go to jail. It is indicative of a terrible state for our democracy.
Yes. And yes, you're right about the state of the democracy. I guess, there's also the issue of thinking Trump has committed crimes which warrant prison and not going for impeachment. But I was ignoring that for once :)

I just think it's hilarious that Republicans dare to talk about the dignity of an office. I think they forfeited that right a long time ago.

And speaking of Trump's crimes, I think you were the poster who was wondering if Trump could be charged with obstruction once out of office? Apparently, he can. https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/06/06/how-trump-could-be-prosecuted-after-the-white-house-227050

caseyedwards

The Post obtained a list of 1,200 VIPs who stayed at the Trump Hotel last year. One of the guests was an Iraqi sheikh who has political ambitions and wants to see the government of Iran overthrown. https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/a-wealthy-iraqi-sheikh-who-urges-a-hard-line-us-approach-to-iran-spent-26-nights-at-trumps-dc-hotel/2019/06/06/3ea74c5e-7bf9-11e9-a66c-d36e482aa873_story.html?utm_term=.0f958b1be043

But facts are facts. It’s likely all trump businesses will go bankrupt soon.

ballettmaus

According to intelligence, Saudi Arabia has significantly expanded their ballistic missile program. Members of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee found out when a staffer stumbled upon the information on a trip. https://edition.cnn.com/2019/06/05/politics/us-intelligence-saudi-arabia-ballistic-missile-china/index.html

How is Congress supposed to perform proper oversight if they don't have to be kept apprised? (And don't the Intel Committees have the right to request any information for that very purpose? I think Schiff said so or it was mentioned in connection with the Mueller report.)

Susan1

I actually think, although I may be mistaken, that the post you comment on above was meant for another.

Regarding my post to you, I don't mean to single you out. It's just what I perceive to be an issue with Democrats, and it's painful that politics is so divisive. Call it Vanity Fair Syndrome: "You're a redneck dumbass and you don't count." That kind of thinking, again just my opinion, backfires, as Mr. O'Rourke is finding.
okey dokey. I'm so used to being personally attacked, I'm paranoid!
I looked up the definition of Condescending just to be sure. I used my Merrium-Webster software dictionary because it's usually very accurate.
Ditto my comment above!!! Thank you! I should have known better, :duh:but no one ever defends me on here. I only see the that person's comments when someone replies to them. I got confused. :shuffle:
Everyone is praising him for acting like a decent human being at the D-Day ceremonies. He'll be tweeting insults and nonsense on the way back here.
Here I must admit I was wrong. He gave this interview BEFORE his "heartfelt" speech IN FRONT OF THE GRAVES!!!! A guy talking about it on MSNBC said he was literally shaking watching it.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/fox-news-exclusive-trump-says-mueller-made-a-fool-of-himself

" “Nancy Pelosi, I call her Nervous Nancy, Nancy Pelosi doesn’t talk about it,” Trump said, referring to the joint statement. “Nancy Pelosi is a disaster, ok? She’s a disaster. Let her do what she wants, you know what? I think they’re in big trouble.”
In the interview, he pushed back on Republicans who have voiced concern on the tariff threat, and said, “Republicans should love what I’m doing.” President Trump, in an exclusive interview with Fox News’ Laura Ingraham, said former Special Counsel Robert Mueller made “such a fool” out of himself last week when he delivered his first and only public statement about the Russia investigation."
“Let me tell you, he made such a fool out of himself ... because what people don’t report is the letter he had to do to straighten out his testimony because his testimony was wrong,” Trump told Ingraham. "

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge

are you claiming O'Rourke said anything like "You're a redneck dumbass and you don't count"? Or are you just suggesting that appearing in Vanity Fair is the equivalent of saying that?

VGThuy

To be honest, I like it when politicians are able to reach people and are able to communicate with people and provide them with dignity. However, I myself feel like people feel as if they're entitled with respect when they've shown people they don't deserve it and their actions make people think they do need to be spoken down to. And a lot of the people accusing others of being elitist or pretentious are horribly guilty of their own prejudices and biases and express a lot of disrespect themselves. I'm not talking about people I don't know, but those I do who I'm still "friends" with based on some loyalty I have from years ago when we were young and became friends. Of course, if you're a politician you CANNOT do that.

nylynnr

are you claiming O'Rourke said anything like "You're a redneck dumbass and you don't count"? Or are you just suggesting that appearing in Vanity Fair is the equivalent of saying that?
The latter, and I think you know that.

O'Rourke didn't just appear in VF, he used it to announce the launch of his campaign, saying something akin to, "Oh baby, I was born for this!" That strategy reeked of elitism, privilege, "let's see how much money I can raise from people who attend VF's Oscar party." And, he now regrets it.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
The latter, and I think you know that.

O'Rourke didn't just appear in VF, he used it to announce the launch of his campaign, saying something akin to, "Oh baby, I was born for this!" That strategy reeked of elitism, privilege, "let's see how much money I can raise from people who attend VF's Oscar party." And, he now regrets it.
Ascribing the words "redneck dumbass" and the attitude that they believe others "don't count" is rather extreme.

nylynnr

Ascribing the words "redneck dumbass" and the attitude that they believe others "don't count" is rather extreme.
It's hyperbole, all right. Let's change it to, "don't count as much as the movers and shakers in Hollywood, Silicon and Wall Street." Better?

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
It's hyperbole, all right. Let's change it to, "don't count as much as the movers and shakers in Hollywood, Silicon and Wall Street." Better?
Yes and I think its quite different. We have a huge problem of our politicians chasing after big donors and doing their bidding because they feel they need those funds.

ballettmaus

The House plans to vote on a resolution (along with the contempt vote) on Tuesday that would give committee chairmen authority to initiate legal action without having to seek full-House approval each time someone refuses to comply with a subpoena. (Sounds like a very smart move, considering.)
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/06/06/house-chairmen-sue-trump-administration-1356454

Back in 2015, Larry Kudlow said that Trump's planned tariffs and trade plans would hurt the US economy. He also said that Mexico was not responsible for the undocumented immigrants coming to the US.
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/06/06/politics/kudlow-trade-incalculable-damage-economy/index.html

What I don't understand is how he (like many others) just made a 180 and now defends the very policies he condemned and warned of. Is it really all about power and is power really worth selling your soul for?

Susan1

:scream:

Anyone who wants to come over for meditation followed a nice cup of tea this afternoon, please let me know. :)
Way, way-sidebar: I was going to continue reading my nice calm Robert Crais book (crime readers will get the joke), and I was thinking about WWII because of the moron being an a** in front of the graves, and none of this has to do with him or anything, I just don't know where to put it..........So I just spent the last 2 hours doing more research on my dad's service and there was a website with a diary like thing of the Yokosuka Naval Base, where he was stationed and I was scrolling down and this jumped out -
1 Nov 1945

Japan

I-14, under the command of US Navy Commander John S. McCain, Jr., departed Yokosuka, Japan for Sasebo, Japan. ww2dbase [Main Article | CPC]

Wow.

They weren't there at the same time though. My dad was on a ship on its way there Feb. 12, 1946 (after everything in Japan was destroyed.) He sent home pictures to his parents with descriptive paragraphs covering the back. I don't have anybody to leave these to when I die. I wish I had a scanner. I'd send them to a WWII site.

Anyway, carry on...............................

ballettmaus

Talk about beneath the dignity of the office. There really is no bottom, is there?
Sitting just a few feet away from the thousands of white grave markers at the Normandy American Cemetery, where more than 9,000 American war dead are buried, Trump gave an interview to Fox News’s Laura Ingraham in which he insulted former special counsel Robert Mueller and said House Speaker Nancy Pelosi — or “Nervous Nancy,” as he called her — is “a disaster.”
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/6/6/18655486/trump-d-day-nancy-pelosi-robert-mueller-cemetery-normandy-france

MacMadame

Cat Lady-in-Training
My dad was on a ship on its way there Feb. 12, 1946 (after everything in Japan was destroyed.) He sent home pictures to his parents with descriptive paragraphs covering the back. I don't have anybody to leave these to when I die. I wish I had a scanner. I'd send them to a WWII site.
I bet if you contacted them, they'd be happy to take them and scan the photos themselves.

Susan1

I bet if you contacted them, they'd be happy to take them and scan the photos themselves.
Thanks for staying way-way-off topic with me for a minute! (Ahhh- trump hates the McCains, so that's a "danger"............ha ha) I was pondering this while I was eating. I wouldn't know where to actually mail them. And I would want the originals back immediately. What if I died while they were gone? Too bad Wright Patt is an AFB and not a navy base (landlocked in the middle of Ohio?).

They have free scanning at the library but it's for documents so they come out on 8-1/2 X 11 (my mind just went blank - read-only documents - whatever Adobe is) pages. I'd want to type up the descriptions (not the personal comments) on the back to go with each one too. I could print ($) those at the library - 12 separate pages ($$), but then I'd have to copy ($) the picture with the descriptions together, while other people were also trying to print and copy, and they still wouldn't be electronic. Who's going to post an 8-1/2 X 11 picture and words on a website? They'd have to separate the picture and the caption.

The only person I know with a scanner takes care of her dad with Alzheimer's 24/7 (she had to quit selling real estate, but she's still a listing agent - from home) and I couldn't go over there or expect her to do this.

CVS costs too much to scan and the machine always messes up and I have to get help and then spend more. That would happen at Kinkos or anywhere else too. My little emergency flip phone does not take good pictures of pictures. I've tried. Pooh. I have to stop thinking now! It's good to see it all written down though. I wonder if I could rent a scanner from Office Depot for an hour. ha ha Really stopping now...........

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races

I wish I had a scanner. I'd send them to a WWII site.

Anyway, carry on...............................
My town's public library has public scanning and copying services. Maybe yours does, too?

This is true, but you might like to keep copies, too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 7, Guests: 6)