Dangers of a Trump Presidency--Part 7

caseyedwards

Ratings
Where should they ask for asylum if not at ports of entry? :confused: And people are working on preventing foreigners from entering the US without a visa. It's called Customs and Border Patrol.
Migrants are crossing in between ports of entry and they are looking for a border patrol agent to ask for asylum from! This is considered improper because it’s not at a port of entry and these are the migrants who had been deported before the judges ruled any request of asylum must be respected equally wherever it was done!

ballettmaus

Ratings
Migrants are crossing in between ports of entry and they are looking for a border patrol agent to ask for asylum from! This is considered improper because it’s not at a port of entry and these are the migrants who had been deported before the judges ruled any request of asylum must be respected equally wherever it was done!
A) It's not against the law to claim asylum after entering the country illegally and b) there is plenty of source material out there that says that the majority of people cross at points of entry and/or apply for asylum through embassies. Neither the military nor the DNI consider the border to be a national security risk or an emergency.

MacMadame

Cat Lady-in-Training
Ratings
Plus the reason they aren't going through official ports of entry is because the Trump administration has done everything they can to make doing that impossible.

caseyedwards

Ratings
A) It's not against the law to claim asylum after entering the country illegally and b) there is plenty of source material out there that says that the majority of people cross at points of entry and/or apply for asylum through embassies. Neither the military nor the DNI consider the border to be a national security risk or an emergency.
You are exactly right! It’s not a crime to claim asylum. That’s why almost every single migrant is now claiming asylum. Almost every one! Thousands and thousands a week. What is asylum now? Get into America free pass.

Why the military and DNI don’t consider this an issue of any merit is truly interesting! I’m surprised.

Plus the reason they aren't going through official ports of entry is because the Trump administration has done everything they can to make doing that impossible.
Exactly! But it doesn’t matter. They know America needs them desperately and they move to more uncontrolled areas

Last edited:

MacMadame

Cat Lady-in-Training
Ratings
As has been said about other things.... anyone can file a report/sue you/claim asylum. That doesn't mean their case has merit and they will get what they want.

In the case of asylum, there is an initial triaging that happens when it is claimed. Asylum seekers can be denied almost immediately if the people processing their case think it's baseless. Only the ones who look to have a decent case are allowed to stay here while their case winds through the process.

caseyedwards

Ratings
As has been said about other things.... anyone can file a report/sue you/claim asylum. That doesn't mean their case has merit and they will get what they want.

In the case of asylum, there is an initial triaging that happens when it is claimed. Asylum seekers can be denied almost immediately if the people processing their case think it's baseless. Only the ones who look to have a decent case are allowed to stay here while their case winds through the process.
Not anymore. A judge just ruled all applicants for asylum can appeal to federal court if denied and they could be deported. As most migrants are coming with children they are then released to start their lives in America with their child or children.

ballettmaus

Ratings
Not anymore. A judge just ruled all applicants for asylum can appeal to federal court if denied and they could be deported. As most migrants are coming with children they are then released to start their lives in America with their child or children.
And when they do, they actually contribute to the US economy. Even without a work permit, they have to eat and live somewhere and wear something, so they buy US goods.

ballettmaus

Ratings
The Orange Dictator showing his true colours. One person should not be allowed to veto elected members.

In this case, I think the flaw is not with the Constitution but the people in Congress, specifically Republicans. All they needed was to find their spines and they could override Trump.
But if Congress is held by one party and the WH by the other party then Congress could just pass everything that only requires a simple majority in the Senate and all the President could do was watch if the President didn't have veto power. So, I think, as long as the US has the two-party system/only two major parties, the President needs the veto power.

caseyedwards

Ratings
And when they do, they actually contribute to the US economy. Even without a work permit, they have to eat and live somewhere and wear something, so they buy US goods.
Yes they are not only a major part of the workforce but also the consumer base! So why all the reluctance to embrace open borders? Politics is so bizarre!!

ballettmaus

Ratings
Yes they are not only a major part of the workforce but also the consumer base! So why all the reluctance to embrace open borders? Politics is so bizarre!!
Because you need to be able to control the flow of immigrants somehow. Look at what happened in Germany in 2015. They were completely overrun by refugees. Granted, Germany is a lot smaller (the size of Montana actually) than the US but still. You need to manage immigration in some way.

topaz

Ratings
Because you need to be able to control the flow of immigrants somehow. Look at what happened in Germany in 2015. They were completely overrun by refugees. Granted, Germany is a lot smaller (the size of Montana actually) than the US but still. You need to manage immigration in some way.
Germany were taken in refugees seeking asylum from several countries, one of them was Syria.

Immigration has and is being managed in the US. This narrative that the US is "overrun" or that the US has outdated immigration laws is misrepresented.

Also, the US is receiving lots of asylum seekers for several reasons - safety and economic issues from Central American countries. However, there are US employers who ACTIVELY seek out foreign workers for the reason of cheap labor. They is an effort to recruit foreign workers in certain industries prior to them crossing the border.

ballettmaus

Ratings
Germany were taken in refugees seeking asylum from several countries, one of them was Syria.
I'm not sure why this is relevant. The problem wasn't where the refugees were coming from, the problem was the sheer number that was able to come in because we don't have any borders anymore within the EU (and that Germany had and still has no system in place to deal with immigrants/refugees).

Immigration has and is being managed in the US. This narrative that the US is "overrun" or that the US has outdated immigration laws is misrepresented.
I know that immigration is being managed. I've posted several links on that subject. My post was in reply to a poster not understanding why the US isn't going for open borders. And what happened in Germany in 2015 seems to be the easiest way to explain why the US is not going for that.

ballettmaus

Ratings
Trump says he believes that white nationalists aren't a rising global threat and that it's only a "small group of people". https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...512a6fe3439_story.html?utm_term=.735254849356

Statistics say otherwise https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...erywhere-including-us/?utm_term=.0663920fdf77

A House vote to try and override Trump's veto is scheduled for March 26 https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...512a6fe3439_story.html?utm_term=.e530d44bd004

ETA: Trump reportedly rambled about the Southern border during his call to the NZ prime minister https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1106641548740100097

caseyedwards

Ratings
You have an orderly process! You don’t have nothing. Open borders doesn’t mean nothing on the border. It means process open to everyone.

topaz

Ratings
I'm not sure why this is relevant. The problem wasn't where the refugees were coming from, the problem was the sheer number that was able to come in because we don't have any borders anymore within the EU (and that Germany had and still has no system in place to deal with immigrants/refugees).

I know that immigration is being managed. I've posted several links on that subject. My post was in reply to a poster not understanding why the US isn't going for open borders. And what happened in Germany in 2015 seems to be the easiest way to explain why the US is not going for that.
The country of origin in regards to US immigration matters quite a bit was the point I wanted to make. It's institutionalized racism.

topaz

Ratings
Trump says he believes that white nationalists aren't a rising global threat and that it's only a "small group of people". https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...512a6fe3439_story.html?utm_term=.735254849356

Statistics say otherwise https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...erywhere-including-us/?utm_term=.0663920fdf77

A House vote to try and override Trump's veto is scheduled for March 26 https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...512a6fe3439_story.html?utm_term=.e530d44bd004

ETA: Trump reportedly rambled about the Southern border during his call to the NZ prime minister https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1106641548740100097

I wouldn't expect any other kind of behavior from a white supremacist.

Japanfan

Ratings
And the "invasion" from the South. He doesn't get that some countries (including NZ) welcome immigrants. And failed to consider that the shooter was Australian born (SFAIK?), so hardly an immigrant. Guess he'd be surprised to learn than white nationalists tend to be . . . white. :eek:

And he was speaking to the Prime Minister of a nation that is grieving terribly - ever the compassionate one, isn't he?

Japanfan

Ratings
The fact that the terrorist is an Australian does make him an immigrant though. :shuffle:
I haven't seen his actual status in NZ mentioned anywhere. I read that he had spent little time in Australia the past few years, but that doesn't mean that he is an actual citizen of NZ. He might be, but IDK.

Last edited:

Reuven

Official FSU Alte Kacher
Ratings
He said he hasn’t seen it. That’s probably accurate because he may not have been told about it. Remember, his intelligence briefers do not bring up anything that goes against what he believes. He apparently has temper-tantrums when "assessments contradict what he believes or positions he has taken."

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Medvedeva, T&M, Shibs, P&C
Ratings
He said he hasn’t seen it. That’s probably accurate because he may not have been told about it. Remember, his intelligence briefers do not bring up anything that goes against what he believes. He apparently has temper-tantrums when "assessments contradict what he believes or positions he has taken."
In the books I have read about Trump, many of them have reported that negative intelligence reports are held from him, fir fear of upsetting him. This is extremely dangerous to the country.

caseyedwards

Ratings
Subscribe More than 300 migrants dropped off in Phoenix this weekend, advocates say “According to recent ICE statistics, officials released 14,500 migrants in the Phoenix area between Dec. 21 and early March. During that same period, they released 37,500 in communities in south Texas, 24,000 in El Paso and 8,500 in San Diego. Who is being dropped off? The families and individuals ICE is dropping at the Phoenix bus station have begun the legal process of seeking asylum. These are individuals who have a sponsor or relative living in the United States.

https://amp.azcentral.com/amp/3196718002?__twitter_impression=true

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Ratings
Especially his Twitter attacks on John McCain this past weekend. OMFG. :eek:

I’ve DVRed today’s The View to see what Meghan says.
Yes that was so disturbing.

Also this:

“I have the support of the police, the support of the military, the support of the Bikers for Trump—I have the tough people, but they don’t play it tough—until they go to a certain point, and then it would be very bad, very bad,” he told Breitbart on Monday in an interview published Wednesday. On Thursday, as the remark was drawing wide and largely unfavorable attention, he tweeted a link to the Breitbart home page.
Daily Beast

This is disturbing and is not about ideology or issues, its about the words and actions of the person in the Oval Office.

Vash01

Ratings

Trump belongs to that "small group of people"

mag

Ratings
So when an undocumented immigrant murders someone that means all undocumented immigrants are murderers, but when a white man guns down 51 people he is just one of a small group of sick people. Right then.

(I think Trump needs to sign an executive order banning all white Australian males from entering the US ;) )

Vash01

Ratings
Especially his Twitter attacks on John McCain this past weekend. OMFG. :eek:

I’ve DVRed today’s The View to see what Meghan says.
This really crossed the line. When he did not express compassion or anger over the killing of 50 muslims in NZ, it was Trump being Trump, but to attack a senator who is no longer living is lower than even Trump's low.

How can the republicans in the Congress Not condemn this behavior is beyond me (even after knowing they are wimps).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 6, Guests: 6)