Dangers of a Trump Presidency--Part 7

caseyedwards

Ratings
Luckily there are about 50 other ways, none as dumb as these two suggestions.
Maybe the problem is all the 50 other ways are being tried at the same time right now? LOL LOL LOL

There is the billions and billions of aid to central america
There is the asylum hearings for all
There is the family catch and release
There is the sensors cameras and drones
There is the physical barriers
There is the border patrol
There is Mexico detainment
There is everything And it all means is the worst chaos in decades

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/05/us/border-crossing-increase.amp.html

Last edited:

caseyedwards

Ratings
Yes, it has nothing to do with the fact that this President has no plan apart from a wall and his administration is generally in chaos ;)
But the thing is actually no trump plan has EVER BEEN implemented! Courts have blocked them all and all Policies in place now began under obama or some other past administration. The same thing happened to obama in 2014 with all migrants and he and his administration seen to have been flawless and amazing!

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Medvedeva, T&M, Shibs, P&C
Ratings
Trump’s budget is dead upon arrival.

Is he doing this just to distract?

It seems Mueller is not going to subpoena Trump and he is going to finish his report soon. Schiff kind of said that the two new bosses (AG) pretty much killed the possibility of making Trump testify under oath. Written answers are meaningless.

Here is a question. Can the House make him testify under oath if the impeach him? What if they do t impeach him? Can they still make him testify before one of the oversight committees?

caseyedwards

Ratings
All presidents budgets for 40 years have been DOA!! Law mandates them but they’re always ignored no matter what

Trump’s budget is dead upon arrival.

Is he doing this just to distract?

It seems Mueller is not going to subpoena Trump and he is going to finish his report soon. Schiff kind of said that the two new bosses (AG) pretty much killed the possibility of making Trump testify under oath. Written answers are meaningless.

Here is a question. Can the House make him testify under oath if the impeach him? What if they do t impeach him? Can they still make him testify before one of the oversight committees?
Of course! The constitution doesn’t forbid a congressional subpoena of the president

It’s so frightening!!!!! Everyone says no one is above the law but the people in executive legislative and judicial branch has chosen to treat the president as if they are!!!!!

Peaches LaTour

Ratings
Maybe the problem is all the 50 other ways are being tried at the same time right now? LOL LOL LOL

There is the billions and billions of aid to central america
There is the asylum hearings for all
There is the family catch and release
There is the sensors cameras and drones
There is the physical barriers
There is the border patrol
There is Mexico detainment
There is everything And it all means is the worst chaos in decades

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/05/us/border-crossing-increase.amp.html
You need a vacation.

MacMadame

Cat Lady-in-Training
Ratings
Illegal immigration at the southern border was at an all-time low so I don't see all of these methods as a problem.

But the thing is actually no trump plan has EVER BEEN implemented! Courts have blocked them all and all Policies in place now began under obama or some other past administration.
So I guess it's just my imagination that there is a Travel Ban in place and family separation at the border. :rolleyes:

Trump and company claim that family separation was necessary to stop / slow down illegal immigration. But since that policy has been in place, illegal crossings have spiked. So it's clear to me that family separations don't have the effect Trump, et al. seem to think they do.

And maybe someone could break his ! key while he's on that vacation.

caseyedwards

Ratings
Illegal immigration at the southern border was at an all-time low so I don't see all of these methods as a problem.

So I guess it's just my imagination that there is a Travel Ban in place and family separation at the border. :rolleyes:

Trump and company claim that family separation was necessary to stop / slow down illegal immigration. But since that policy has been in place, illegal crossings have spiked. So it's clear to me that family separations don't have the effect Trump, et al. seem to think they do.

And maybe someone could break his ! key while he's on that vacation.
It was at an all time low but not anymore. Not by a long shot. Now almost all time high.

Family separation was largely banned by judges! It’s only still in place if someone is proven to be a criminal from a previous residency in the United States. Judges banned prosecution of people just for unauthorized entry which included separating the adults from children. So that’s all Illegal now. And when that separation policy was banned by judges it already added to the encouragement for whole families to ignore the visa process and use asylum claims as their method of entry. That was already exploding!

In fact while all methods of technological border control was working to an extent all the efforts in those areas have been ruined and destroyed by the new asylum for everyone policies that have been created by judges and loopholes.

Now everyone basically claims asylum. And now judges have just ruled immigration courts are illegally restricting migrant rights! That all migrants have rights to appeal immigration court rulings to the federal courts all the way to Supreme Court. So soon Supreme Court may be deciding all asylum cases

That can all be prevented though if congress passes an official asylum for all open borders bill

https://www.azcentral.com/story/new...ns-migrants-greyhound-bus-station/3106269002/

This is a good article! But I do have to say congress just banned ice detentions from going over 40000 so ice has to release people! They have no choice. Congress just banned ice from detaining more people. Judges banned their deportation. Judges also ruled family detentions illegal. Just parent without their kids detention illegal.

Last edited:

Japanfan

Ratings
Family separation was largely banned by judges! It’s only still in place if someone is proven to be a criminal from a previous residency in the United States. Judges banned prosecution of people just for unauthorized entry which included separating the adults from children. So that’s all Illegal now. And when that separation policy was banned by judges it already added to the encouragement for whole families to ignore the visa process and use asylum claims as their method of entry. That was already exploding!

https://www.azcentral.com/story/new...ns-migrants-greyhound-bus-station/3106269002/
This is a good article! But I do have to say congress just ban
Do you think that family separation is a good thing?

Do you approve of migrants being dropped off at bus station when they don't have the fare for the trip home?

topaz

Ratings
But she didn't even have to say anything for people to put words in her mouth. She could say the most neutral thing and people will interpret it with the worst reading confusing other people who read her comments in full. If someone else said what she said verbatim, there wouldn't have been the same reaction. I guarantee that.
I have kind of been following this. I agree that she is being misinterpreted and that people are creating mountains out of molehills. Something I notice is those who hate "lefties" will jump on them and point the finger anytime they say something that could be construed as racist, sexist or whatever, even if it isn't.

I fully believe that because she's a black woman who is Muslim fuels the narrative to misrepresent what she says. Rep. Vargas who tweeted and that questioning US support of Israel is "unacceptable" and Omar noted that she being told "it is anti-American to not be pro-Israel says it all.

A few house reps and senators came out with statements of support for Omar Ilhan. I was especially proud that the CBC(Congressional Black Caucas) stood up for her in the closed meeting last week.

Last edited:

caseyedwards

Ratings
Do you think that family separation is a good thing?

Do you approve of migrants being dropped off at bus station when they don't have the fare for the trip home?
Family separation is not a good thing. It’s all a matter what you do with people who cross the border without permission or demand asylum the wrong way. It would be much better for everyone if migrants were just allowed in for whatever reason in a orderly way.

No and congress should pass a bill providing travel money as the people are going to their new home in America

Last edited:

MacMadame

Cat Lady-in-Training
Ratings
Family separation was largely banned by judges! It’s only still in place if someone is proven to be a criminal from a previous residency in the United States.
Except the administration ignores those judges orders. They keep separating families.

I am just as guilty of this as anyone else, but I do wonder why respond to a certain person here who clearly isn't posting in good faith?
Because other people are here and might be interested in what we have to say?

Drones, cameras, patrols, and helping to make life better in these people's country of origin so they have less incentive to come to the US have been shown to work. Not 100% but nothing will be 100%. Even some barriers where they make sense help.

A 2000 mile wall across the entire Southern border, OTOH, makes not one lick of sense and anyone who supports it is not thinking with their brain but with emotions IMO. I will continue to fight such a thing because it's horribly expensive and there are much better uses of that money.

Family separation and other punitive measures also do not work IMO. However, unlike a 2000 mile border wall, these things are more debatable. For one thing, I would be against them even if they did work. But it's clear that if a person's living situation is bad enough, treating them like crap when they get to the US doesn't deter them. If it did, border crossings would not be at an all-time high after being at an all-time low just a short while ago.

caseyedwards

Ratings
Did you watch Fox News? Early in 2000 the number was over 1.6 million. It's close to 400,000 now. Even with my math skills I know that this is nowhere near the all time high.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44319094
I only get immigration info from nyt and wapo. Any other source is not believed by anyone on the left and it ends all discussion. So just as an FYI I know never to use any info from fox! Ever! Because it’s fake news. But at the end of this year it will be a million.
Except the administration ignores those judges orders. They keep separating families.

Because other people are here and might be interested in what we have to say?

Drones, cameras, patrols, and helping to make life better in these people's country of origin so they have less incentive to come to the US have been shown to work. Not 100% but nothing will be 100%. Even some barriers where they make sense help.

A 2000 mile wall across the entire Southern border, OTOH, makes not one lick of sense and anyone who supports it is not thinking with their brain but with emotions IMO. I will continue to fight such a thing because it's horribly expensive and there are much better uses of that money.

Family separation and other punitive measures also do not work IMO. However, unlike a 2000 mile border wall, these things are more debatable. For one thing, I would be against them even if they did work. But it's clear that if a person's living situation is bad enough, treating them like crap when they get to the US doesn't deter them. If it did, border crossings would not be at an all-time high after being at an all-time low just a short while ago.
The judges didn’t rule all family separation was illegal. Just separation where the only crime was crossing illegally. If someone has a previous deportation they can still be detained and separated from their family because they are going to be deported again. They violated different laws. Not just the visa law.

There needs to be a multi billion or maybe 100 billion dollar fund and or bank established by America for central America. I said this!

US should try to fix all Central American nations

But also the extraordinary desperation in the US for cheap labor isn’t going anywhere even if Central America is fixed.

US needs to recognize its extreme desperation and make getting visas quick and easy. You ask and you get!

MacMadame

Cat Lady-in-Training
Ratings
The judges didn’t rule all family separation was illegal. Just separation where the only crime was crossing illegally. If someone has a previous deportation they can still be detained and separated from their family because they are going to be deported again. They violated different laws. Not just the visa law.
Well that's what is supposed to happen. But according to the WaPo and NYT, there have been over 200 cases where families were separated in violation of these judicial orders.

ballettmaus

Ratings

ballettmaus

Ratings
Oh, so they aren't really at an all-time high, just that they are going up? Interesting. I got taken in by something I read.
While browsing the WaPo articles on the subject, I came across one article that states that the crossings are returning to levels not seen since Bush and there is nothing in that article that puts that statement into perspective. A couple of others also just threw numbers around. I really expect better from the WaPo! Not just in Trump times but especially in Trump times.

Vagabond

Ratings
Cheney grills Pence on Trump's foreign policy
The former vice president interviewed Pence at the American Enterprise Institute’s annual World Forum....

The former vice president, who has kept a low public profile in recent years, questioned whether Trump places enough value on the findings of the intelligence community, which he has repeatedly and publicly dismissed. He suggested that Trump foreign policy has at times looked more like President Barack Obama’s — which Cheney has repeatedly lambasted — than that of a Republican standard bearer.
At one point, Pence, whom attendees described as taken aback by some of the questions, turned to his predecessor and inquisitor and joked, “Man, who wrote all these softball questions?”
:biggrinbo

No video, apparently. :wuzrobbed

once_upon

New condo owner
Ratings
Maybe his propsed cuts to Medicare will wake the base and they have a come to Jesus moment where they realize he is not looking out for the little guy.

I also wonder if the supplemental policies and potential huge impact on their bottom lines might rile the insurance companies enough to be anti-Trump? As in don't pissed off the big insurance providers

once_upon

New condo owner
Ratings
Medicare cost 300 billion dollars more in 2017 than it did in 2007! Is that really necessary? Sustainable? I mean why is the program being allowed to explode so much?

2017, Medicare benefit payments totaled $702 billion, up from $425 billion in 2007.

https://www.kff.org/medicare/issue-brief/the-facts-on-medicare-spending-and-financing/
It is the healthcare insurers and big pharma companies who are in bed with the Republicans. And for profit hospitals, clinics, free standing out patient facilities, mobile labs and radiology centers.

There is no reason for medications to cost $400- or $1000s). No reason for profit facilities. No need for the $xxxxxxx salaries for healthcare insurance CEO.

There are a lot of things to be done to lower Medicare budgets.

KCC

Ratings
There sure are a lot of tv ads running here touting the greatness of the medical research companies. Trying to sway public opinion, I guess.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 25, Guests: 8)