Dangers of a Trump Presidency--Part 7

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Medvedeva, T&M, Shibs, P&C
Ratings
What a shameful and dangerous incident! Note that Trump did not condemn the man who shoved the cameraman for the BBC reporter. Why would he? He was the one who built up the frenzy against the media, and this was the result. It could have been a lot worse. The WH shrugged and said the attacker was drunk. Nice excuse! Whether he was drunk or not (we don't know the truth), he was clearly motivated by the anti-media talk of Trump.

Trump also lied about the crowd size, for the millionth time. What difference does it make to anyone whether he had 5000 or 5 million people at his rally? (He said there were 69,000 when actually only 6500 were allowed inside, according to the fire department).

I am hoping to see a sane President in the office 2021.

ETA- The comments on that article are very pro-Trump and anti-BBC. Trolls perhaps?

Last edited:

ballettmaus

Ratings

MacMadame

Cat Lady-in-Training
Ratings
I'm saying I think the GOP realizes it's career suicide to have a shut down and will join the Dems to override any veto on his part. And, that they will make that clear to Trump in such a way that he will not veto the bill so as not to look bad.

MacMadame

Cat Lady-in-Training
Ratings
I don't think he will veto. He will spin it as a victory.
I think he won't veto either. But he'll spin it as "look at me: I can compromise (unlike those Dems)" rather than "I got what I wanted" (i.e., a victory)

Which one do you really think Trump will listen to: a bunch of politicians in Congress fretting about their own careers or Ann Coulter saying today that Trump is "afraid to fight for the wall"?
It depends on what the GOP tells him. If they tell him "You'll look like an idiot and anger your base" then I think he'll listen to them.

ballettmaus

Ratings
^I think it's all about the press coverage. If he thinks something will get him positive press coverage, he'll do it no matter what the GOP says. (I doubt they were encouraging him before but I'm pretty sure Trump was convinced that he would be celebrated for the shutdown by his base, at least). That's probably why he won't do another shutdown but will do everything he can to spin it as a victory.

I've read that Trump might take money away from the Puerto Rico disaster relief to build the wall. How is that possible? I thought he can only build the wall if Congress permits him to use money for it unless he declares a national emergency.

caseyedwards

Ratings
Because republicans never really controlled the senate because McConnell wouldn’t abolish the filibuster the wall money was always 1.8 billion. With democrats winning the house it has only gone down to 1.3. Not too bad with democrats winning the house.

BittyBug

And the band played on
Ratings
I am shocked that it has improved in so many states.
Doesn't the article show exactly the opposite - that Trump's approval has declined across the board?
By January 2019, two years after taking office and during a month marked by a dramatic 35-day-long partial federal government shutdown, Trump's net approval rating had declined in every state and the District of Columbia. Drops in net approval ranged from 10 percentage points in Wyoming to a massive 35-point swing against the president in New Mexico.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Medvedeva, T&M, Shibs, P&C
Ratings
Doesn't the article show exactly the opposite - that Trump's approval has declined across the board?
I looked at the map. It shows net approval rating in the two years. Many states are showing better than 20% (net- I assume it is the difference in 2017 & 2019).

ETA- My bad. I looked at the first map but not the second, which shows many red areas (decrease). Only WY and WV are showing dark blue (meaning increase in approval).

BittyBug

And the band played on
Ratings
@Vash01 I think you are misreading the maps. What each map shows is net favorability - rhe differencd between the % of people who approve of Trump vs. disapprove - as of the date shown (first map is 2017, second is 2019).

Dark blue shows positive net approval (more like than dislike) but only as of the date of each map. To see the change over time you need to compare the numbers in each map, and in all cases, the numbers for each state declined.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Ratings
And of course the one thing Trump won't sign off on in the compromise to keep the government open is back pay for federal contractor. He loves stiffing people and he wants to at least get that.

skatingfan5

Past Prancer's Corridor
Ratings
This is from the wife of a WH official, claiming the reporting on the measles outbreak are hysteria. Just how irresponsible and brain dead can the people working for Trump and their family get? :mad: https://twitter.com/DarlaShine/status/1095679791154581506
What a stupid tweet -- yes most U.S. baby boomers got the measles as children, but those alive today weren't among the approx. 1-2% of measles cases who died in the 1950s. :(

Sparks

Ratings

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 9, Guests: 5)