Dangers of a Trump Presidency--Part 7

WanderlustTO

I know it's easy to become completely numb to Trump's unending disgraceful conduct...but even by his basement-level behaviour tonight's tweet was truly a jaw dropper:

@realDonaldTrump

North Korea, under the leadership of Kim Jong Un, will become a great Economic Powerhouse. He may surprise some but he won’t surprise me, because I have gotten to know him & fully understand how capable he is. North Korea will become a different kind of Rocket - an Economic one!

Just a reminder that North Koreans are amongst the most oppressed on the planet; Kim Jong Un not only has forced his own people into gulags (where they are often condemned to die though torture, starvation, and labour) but he also penalizes members (and generations) of their families to the same fate.

I know the "what if Obama did this" trope gets tiresome after a while...but it's infuriating that Obama spent his presidency fighting off birtherism conspiracy theories and denigrated for so many minor things...while Trump's disgusting behaviour generates yawns from the same people.

Japanfan

@realDonaldTrump
North Korea, under the leadership of Kim Jong Un, will become a great Economic Powerhouse. He may surprise some but he won’t surprise me, because I have gotten to know him & fully understand how capable he is. North Korea will become a different kind of Rocket - an Economic one!
There is a reason for the expression oy vai.

ballettmaus

Budget talks between Democrats and Republicans have stalled. https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/border-talks-at-impasse-as-shutdown-looms-friday-officials-say/2019/02/10/aa8ef08c-2d36-11e9-813a-0ab2f17e305b_story.html?utm_term=.5e089cc8385d

“The president really does believe that there is a national security crisis and a humanitarian crisis at the border and he will do something about it.”
Who cares what the President thinks? The facts say otherwise and they are all that matters and they are all that should matter to Republicans, too. If Trump refuses to accept them, make a bill and override a veto for crying out loud.

Jot the Dot Dot

Headstrong Buzzard
Now Senator Cory Booker says he supports AOC's "Green New Deal". If whoever wins the Democratic nomination also supports it, that'll guarantee Trump's re-election.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Key lawmakers plan to meet Monday afternoon in a late-stage bid to avert a government shutdown, trying to revive talks that derailed over the weekend amid a dispute on immigration enforcement rules.

House Appropriations Committee Chairman Nita Lowey (D-N.Y.), Senate Appropriations Committee Chairman Richard Shelby (R-Ala.), Rep. Kay Granger (R-Tex.) and Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) will attend the meeting, two congressional aides said.
Just make it work!

once_upon

New condo owner
I understand that, but Democrats cannot afford an agreement that contains the wall. They will be blamed for the 5 week one and loose all credibility and the 2020 elections on every level

skatesindreams

Let Trump and his ilk beat "The Wall" to death.

Most experts believe that there are more effective means of "Border Security" than that.
Those negotiating; and Democrats, should concentrate on funding those.

caseyedwards

Let Trump and his ilk beat "The Wall" to death.

Most experts believe that there are more effective means of "Border Security" than that.
Those negotiating; and Democrats, should concentrate on funding those.
All the experts (if they are experts in preventing illegal border crossings and not experts in immigration) want more ports of entry. Walls near the ports of entry. Fences, Drones , guards and sensors further away from the ports of entry

ballettmaus

caseyedwards

Beds should be unlimited! Why with current law would you limit them? Unless you want to Codify so called “catch and release” or “humanitarian release” you have to have unlimited!

caseyedwards

Read the article.
So why with current conditions would you limit them if they are holding more than authorized? Why not codify catch and release if you don’t think illegals should be detained? Both nbc and democrats are only using the word immigrant which makes the issue confusing. They are talking about current illegals.

once_upon

New condo owner
I asked my brother how my nephew was. He said for now ok, but Friday will change that. Nephew is a TSA agent.

Nephew was able to weather the last shutdown but he had another source of income which he won't this time around. So he won't be able to weather this one unless my brother can get them through.

I don't want Democrats to give in. I don't know what the answers are.

Our economy is going to crash big time, more than it is now. I think it will make the Great Depression look like child's play.

ballettmaus

But since the deal doesn’t call for walls to be torn down its a win! They are all saying democrats will tear down all the walls currently on the border if they had WH and congress
I'm reading the physical barrier is 55 miles of border fencing. Since Trump doubled down on his wall over the past days, I doubt that he considers that a win. But if they manage to strongarm him into signing then he'll certainly spin it as one.

caseyedwards

I'm reading the physical barrier is 55 miles of border fencing. Since Trump doubled down on his wall over the past days, I doubt that he considers that a win. But if they manage to strongarm him into signing then he'll certainly spin it as one.
Exactly! He already said bollard fencing is a wall. He said it many many times! He said a wall was bollards in the state of the union.

This is a smart, strategic, see-through steel barrier -- not just a simple concrete wall. It will be deployed in the areas identified by border agents as having the greatest need, and as these agents will tell you, where walls go up, illegal crossings go way down.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Medvedeva, T&M, Shibs, P&C
It is a barrier, not a wall, but Trump is already touting the ‘beautiful wall’ that needs to be “finished”. He will lie through his teeth.

ballettmaus

It is a barrier, not a wall, but Trump is already touting the ‘beautiful wall’ that needs to be “finished”. He will lie through his teeth.
Hasn't he talked about that for a while now? I remember that he was demanding money to build a wall and then said that it was already being built a couple of sentences later a few days ago. :D

PrincessLeppard

Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple
Don Jr called teachers "losers" in his speech before his dad's.

I prefer terrorists and thugs, as we were under Bush. Much more interesting.

:)

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Maybe Trump is stupid enough not to sign the deal, but I thought I'd quote this for now:

The amount of funding is actually shy of the original deal Republicans and Democrats reached last year that Trump rejected. At that time, the spending bill for the Department of Homeland Security included $1.6 billion for 65 miles of fencing, both slightly more than the current tentative deal.

This was the deal on the table (it passed 26 to 5 in the Senate Appropriations Committee in June) when Trump initially began demanding $5 billion for his wall. He’s now getting slightly less than that $1.6 billion while also making a concession to Democrats on detention beds.
In other words, assuming the deal goes through, Trump got absolutely nothing for his shutdown. Which is a damn good thing because it needs to never happen again.

Trump’s failed shutdown strategy produced an even worse deal than he started with (Washington Post)

(The article mentions that at last night's Trump rally, the signs said "Finish the Wall" instead of "Build the Wall" noting that this is a pivot to Trump trying to save face and claim that since there are some barriers being built and a bit more funding coming in this deal, he actually won. :rolleyes: )

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 6, Guests: 10)