Dangers of a Trump Presidency--Part 7

FiveRinger

Ratings
I knew Trump would do a campaign speech. Because he always does and I think it's the only kind of speech he knows how to make.
He's just gross. He bloviates, and we can only take so much. He wakes up every morning full of hate, bad-mouthing everything and everyone. I don't understand how anybody can stand to be around him. At least I have the option of turning off the television.

caseyedwards

Ratings
Yeah. I keep hearing this, but they haven't spent a 10th of last year's money. And they've been asking for more hiring at ports of entry, but nobody's doing it. And the excuse of illegal immigrants taking jobs away from "white people" doesn't work either when he's bragging about employment numbers. And his properties hiring illegal immigrants, who are now getting fired. It just makes me sick that he keeps repeating the same crap and his followers believe him.
If money is appropriated for 2018 it doesn’t renew in 2019. The money doesn’t carry over .The ability to use the money expires. So if spending on border security is delayed because of lawsuits than its lost unless it’s renewed the next year.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Ratings
Trump has been looking into building the wall with private money and on private land. No word on how they plan to patrol the border wall... And look, Erik Prince is involved again. https://www.politico.com/story/2019/02/05/maga-border-private-wall-bannon-kobach-prince-1147210
Well if they want it so badly then they can pay for it. You are right about patrolling it - how is that going to be done? But as most Americans don't want it because they don't think it is going to do anything and it not worth the money, then let the minority who does want it fund it.

ballettmaus

Ratings
Well if they want it so badly then they can pay for it. You are right about patrolling it - how is that going to be done? But as most Americans don't want it because they don't think it is going to do anything and it not worth the money, then let the minority who does want it fund it.
If the land-owners along the border even sell them the land :shuffle:

Vagabond

Ratings
If the land-owners along the border even sell them the land :shuffle:
I foresee the Federal Government's filing numerous lawsuits asserting eminent domain (i.e., seeking a determination of "just compensation" within the meaning of the Constitution for land that would be seized). By and large, the opponents of eminent domain are on the right, politically. It will be interesting to see how the right reacts to such litigation, how long any suits drag on, and how much the Government spends on the process.

Vagabond

Ratings
It's my understanding the eminent domain suits filed in the aughts are still being litigated.
Most likely.

Also, IINM, some of the land along the border is in one or more reservations. I am no authority on Native American law, but I think that there are limits on what the Federal Government can do there without tribal consent.

caseyedwards

Ratings
Very easy! This is where the drones come in.

ballettmaus

Ratings
I foresee the Federal Government's filing numerous lawsuits asserting eminent domain (i.e., seeking a determination of "just compensation" within the meaning of the Constitution for land that would be seized).
Can they do that when they simply want to sell the land?

Trump is yelling Presidential harrassment because Schiff is reopening the House's Russia investigation. Aside from the fact that he seems to be running scared because Democrats are in charge, he also put out a tweet that it should never happen again. (The "Presidential harrassment"). That rhetoric makes my skin crawl.

ballettmaus

Ratings
Very easy! This is where the drones come in.
Are private persons allowed to fly surveillance drones? And if so, are they allowed to fly so many? How close is the nearest airport?
But lets say they use drones, that would mean that they can see if someone climbs the wall. By the time they have called law enforcement and law enforcement gets there the people are likely long gone.

How much would these drones cost? How much does maintainance cost?

ballettmaus

Ratings
Whitacker says he will only appear before the House judiciary committee if Democrats promise not to subpoena him. https://www.washingtonpost.com/powe...8500644dc98_story.html?utm_term=.88fb7ce749c0

This whole thing is confusing and amusing. Given the history of Trump administration officials, I'd say Democrats wanted to be prepared just in case Whitacker decides not to appear or Trump decides he shouldn't. But I don't really see where Whitacker's problem is. He goes tomorrow, he won't be subpoenaed. He doesn't go, on the other hand, he will be subpoenaed. So, his threat not to appear will result in the very thing he doesn't want.
But hey, he's a Trump administration official.

ballettmaus

Ratings
Come again? :confused: If the landowner and the Government agree to a price, there is no need to litigate.
Eminent domain is defined as the right of the government to "expropriate private property for public use". So, can they invoke it if they plan to sell it? And from what I understand, the government has to sell the land if the wall is built by "private citizens" because otherwise they'd be contractors and Congress would still have to authorize the money. And a private citizen can't just build something on federal land without authorization either, can they?

Reuven

Official FSU Alte Kacher
Ratings
We have different opinions. Thought she looked like a miserable, petulant brat who wasn't getting her way. (Which many of you often accuse President Trump of...)
Can't say as I blame her, sitting there whilst a mendacious, venal, vindictive man spent an hour and a half lying to her, to Congess members, and to us. Did love the shade Speaker Pelosi threw. That was a lovely F.U. clap.

demetriosj

Ratings
Can't say as I blame her, sitting there whilst a mendacious, venal, vindictive man spent an hour and a half lying to her, to Congess members, and to us. Did love the shade Speaker Pelosi threw. That was a lovely F.U. clap.
Thought Pelosi handled herself in a relatively professional manner.

caseyedwards

Ratings
Are private persons allowed to fly surveillance drones? And if so, are they allowed to fly so many? How close is the nearest airport?
But lets say they use drones, that would mean that they can see if someone climbs the wall. By the time they have called law enforcement and law enforcement gets there the people are likely long gone.

How much would these drones cost? How much does maintainance cost?
I don’t believe there are any current laws on drones!

Susan1

Ratings
Trump is yelling Presidential harrassment because Schiff is reopening the House's Russia investigation. Aside from the fact that he seems to be running scared because Democrats are in charge, he also put out a tweet that it should never happen again. (The "Presidential harrassment"). That rhetoric makes my skin crawl.
He says they never did this to any other president? Well, duh! So, whose fault is that. Moron.

Japanfan

Ratings
His intent is purely political, and racist. He never mentions the northern border. He does not want colored people seeking asylum in the USA, and although asylum is legal. He is making it ‘danger to the country’ issue.
But Canadians aren't trying to flee the country and seek asylum or residence in the US. And there has been a steady stream of refugees making their way from the US into Canada for quite some time now, thinking that they will have a better chance in Canada.

I did ready that some Mexicans are flying into Canada and then crossing the border from her into the US - am sure that was on here, but don't have the link.

MacMadame

Cat Lady-in-Training
Ratings
Are they going to pay to maintain it too?

caseyedwards

Ratings
Ha ha ha!!! Trump appoints two conservative extremist to Supreme Court who vote to end abortion in Louisiana and Roberts saves it!! Roberts is saving abortion in America

ballettmaus

Ratings

VIETgrlTerifa

Ratings
Remember during the Kavanaugh hearings how he said very little about reproductive rights and how the likes of Susan Collins were trying to gaslight us into saying we were worried over nothing about it? Well...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...ourts-abortion-ruling/?utm_term=.5b3c76d8422e

But for John Roberts siding with the left side of the Court, access to abortion would have been near impossible in Louisiana. We know how Gorsuch and Kavanaugh voted, and we knew how they would vote before their hearings. And yet people think Dems and Republicans are completely the same when voting for a President and members of Congress who will appoint and confirm members of the Executive Branch. If Dems need to be more progressive, the answer is to push them in that direction while making sure we're still moving towards the left on the basic level, not to allow ourselves to regress to the point we have to fight the same battles again.

caseyedwards

Ratings
Article on the undocumented workers who helped built Trump's NJ golf club. https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...e59fbae7960_story.html?utm_term=.bdd078faa9c8

MS-13 murders are down. The article also mentions that Clinton tried deporting MS-13 members and they were able to regroup in their home countries due to the conditions. Glad that Trump's trying a failed method...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...7b05d5bed90_story.html?utm_term=.cf41f35c3e7d
It’s sad Central American countries have no anti gang powers

ballettmaus

Ratings
I have no idea who this Candace Owens is (and it seems like she's not worth anyone's time) but I do know that she's ignorant and that it's the likes of her who make the current rise of populism possible. Apparently, Hitler gave nationalism a bad name because he was also a globalist and if he had just stuck to making Germany "great" it would have been ok. https://www.thedailybeast.com/candace-owens-hitler-was-ok-until-he-tried-to-go-global

I just can't with that kind of ignorance. How can these words come out of someone with a college education? :mad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 6, Guests: 6)