Dangers of a Trump Presidency--Part 7

BittyBug

And the band played on
Ratings
Is this stupid shutdown a reason enough (among many others) to impeach this jerk? He has put All of us in danger. FDA cannot Do its job. The IRS cannot process tax refunds. TSA cannot do its job....the list goes on. This could be the perfect time for a foreign power to strike. This is a National Emergency, but not the type Trump is claiming. Someone has to be able to do something to remove this pathetic petulant child from that presidential chair and save us all.
This, this, this and this again. But if the Republicans can't even muster the political will to go ahead and vote to re-open the government, even if it means defying their Dear Leader, then impeachment won't get very far.

mag

Ratings
Would it be possible for the Senate to pass the legislation that has already passed the House and do so with a veto proof majority? If so, Mitch McConnell owns this shutdown along with Trump. I think perhaps a massive protest outside his home over the weekend is in order. (I usually don’t think it should happen at home, but he sent senators home for the weekend when they should be required to stay in Washington until this is settled!) I think also a massive protest on the street in front of both the White House and the “Winter White House” would be in order.

caseyedwards

Ratings
Would it be possible for the Senate to pass the legislation that has already passed the House and do so with a veto proof majority? If so, Mitch McConnell owns this shutdown along with Trump. I think perhaps a massive protest outside his home over the weekend is in order. (I usually don’t think it should happen at home, but he sent senators home for the weekend when they should be required to stay in Washington until this is settled!) I think also a massive protest on the street in front of both the White House and the “Winter White House” would be in order.
Of course the senate can vote for their old bill but now that would be overthrowing trump and basically might as well just do impeachment and removal!

BittyBug

And the band played on
Ratings
Would it be possible for the Senate to pass the legislation that has already passed the House and do so with a veto proof majority? If so, Mitch McConnell owns this shutdown along with Trump.
The first bill the house passed was the exact same piece of legislation that the senate had passed UNANIMOUSLY prior to the holiday break. So yeah, the Senate could pass legislation with a veto-proof majority, but Yurtle is claiming he can't do anything. :rolleyes:

I think perhaps a massive protest outside his home over the weekend is in order. (I usually don’t think it should happen at home, but he sent senators home for the weekend when they should be required to stay in Washington until this is settled!) I think also a massive protest on the street in front of both the White House and the “Winter White House” would be in order.
There have already been protests, and I'm sure they will continue, but McConnell is impervious to publish shaming. Lord I hope what goes around comes around to bite that asshole in the face.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Ratings
There have already been protests, and I'm sure they will continue, but McConnell is impervious to publish shaming. Lord I hope what goes around comes around to bite that asshole in the face.
There's already a fund raising money for a challenger for McConnell in 2020 but I don't think a Democrat can beat him. I'm thinking they ought to fund a primary challenger that could knock him off.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Ratings
Of for godsakes Trump is such a nincompoop. I take a nap and now after saying he was maybe definitely going to declare an emergency, now the Post says he's "backing away" from that and wants Dems to vote again??? Uh Bud Dems have been voting all week, to open the government without giving you your Wall.

Have we ever had a weaker individual in the presidency? He can't make up his mind, he can't stand firm, he doesn't know what the heck he is doing, his advisers tell him to go on TV and go to the border, and he complains that he doesn't want to and it won't do any good but he does it half-heartedly and it doesn't do any good.

Tell me again why his supporters think he is strong?!

ETA: "What we're not looking to do right now is national emergency," he said Friday afternoon, surrounded by law enforcement officials at a White House roundtable. “I’m not going to do it so fast.”

How dumb is it to say we're not going to declare an emergency right away? I mean, you gonna wait cuz its not an emergency and then think you can tell us its an emergency? Just dumb :rolleyes:

ETA from the Guardian:

More news is coming out re Trump’s national emergency reversal. According to numerous reporters Trump said this at his cabinet meeting today:

“This is where I ask the Democrats to come back to Washington and vote for money for the wall, the barrier. I don’t care what they name it. They can name it peaches.”
I think Trump is totally confused. He doesn't have a clue what's going on. He thinks "this is where I ask Democrats to come back and vote for money for the wall"??? He doesn't get they didn't leave Washington and they've been voting all week??? He thinks by backing off the emergency threat Dems will feel compelled to "come back" and give him what he wants???

Who thought this guy could function in the presidency? He has no idea what is going on.

Last edited:

VIETgrlTerifa

Ratings
Marco Rubio still not liking the idea of declaring a national emergency, "Are you ready for President Kamala Harris declaring a national emergency over climate change? "

I just really liked the sound of the "President Kamala Harris" part. :saint:
Didn't Rubio realize he just did one huge advertisement for Harris and thus put that image into people's head? You can't buy that sort of publicity. But then his fellow party members are giving Ocasio-Cortez all kinds publicity that money can't buy.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Ratings
Didn't Rubio realize he just did one huge advertisement for Harris and thus put that image into people's head? You can't buy that sort of publicity. But then his fellow party members are giving Ocasio-Cortez all kinds publicity that money can't buy.
Indeed! Thank you Marco!

They have on their hands the worst president anyone could imagine, they aren't thinking too clearly about stuff right now. I kind of empathize... but not really...

ETA I could laugh with the Guardian at Lindsay Graham "But spare a thought for Lindsey Graham, Trump foe-turned-Trump-sycophant, who was faithfully tagging along with the president’s national emergency line as recently as... two hours ago." But I actually wonder if he hasn't lost his cognitive functioning...

mag

Ratings
Why is it so objectionable to give money for expansion of steel fenses that already exist? Trump no longer demands a concrete wall so what’s the problem? Why won’t democrats compromise?
IDK, maybe they are taking a page out of the Republicans’ page book? Seriously, are you okay with the US compromising with every terrorist who decides to take hostages and make demands? Because that is what you are suggesting.

At the crux of this is the fact that Trump and his administration do not have a plan for immigration reform or border security. Just like they didn’t have a plan for health care or infrastructure, or foreign policy. If they actually had a plan, written down, with, you know, facts and goals and, well, words, they could present it to Congress. They appear incapable of that.

Now they might be capable, but they can’t do it because there are only three things that Trump is interested in. First, tax cuts. Big, bold, tax cuts for the rich. Second, destroying everything and anything linked to Obama. Finally, and this is the most important, make America white again. Stop both illegal and legal immigration of anyone who is not of white European decent and limit legal immigration to 1920’s level. That bill Trump was suppose to sign way back that had 30 something billion for border security and a path to citizenship for dreamers? A congressperson on CNN stated that the reason he wouldn’t sign it was because at the last minute Stephen Miller and Trump wanted to include a provision to reduce LEGAL immigration to 1920’s levels. When that wouldn’t fly he refused to sign the bill. I really hope someday Stephen Miller is hauled before Congress, put under oath, and forced to answer for the harm he has done.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Medvedeva, T&M, Shibs, P&C
Ratings
I love Kamala Harris! However, in my opinion the Dems really need to go with 'establishment' and by that I mean Biden. No novelties, and though I disagree with it, many think a black woman running for president at this time is not viable for POTUS. I would fully support a Biden/Harris ticket. Trump has turned America into chaos. I think Biden represents a peaceful 8 years under Obama that voters want to go back to.
I agree 100 percent. Trump has destroyed our relations abroad, particularly with our allies. Biden’s expertise in this area and the peaceful times with Obama will help put things on the right track. At This time the country needs Biden for POTUS and a young and capable VP. He needs to stay away from focusing on Trump as his opponent, but focus on the damage that was done to the country and we can turn things around for the majority. For the VP there are many candidates that I like. Harris, Beto, Castro, Swallow, Murphy are on my list. There could be others too.

Vash01

Ratings
Of for godsakes Trump is such a nincompoop. I take a nap and now after saying he was maybe definitely going to declare an emergency, now the Post says he's "backing away" from that and wants Dems to vote again??? Uh Bud Dems have been voting all week, to open the government without giving you your Wall.

Have we ever had a weaker individual in the presidency? He can't make up his mind, he can't stand firm, he doesn't know what the heck he is doing, his advisers tell him to go on TV and go to the border, and he complains that he doesn't want to and it won't do any good but he does it half-heartedly and it doesn't do any good.

Tell me again why his supporters think he is strong?!

ETA: "What we're not looking to do right now is national emergency," he said Friday afternoon, surrounded by law enforcement officials at a White House roundtable. “I’m not going to do it so fast.”

How dumb is it to say we're not going to declare an emergency right away? I mean, you gonna wait cuz its not an emergency and then think you can tell us its an emergency? Just dumb :rolleyes:

ETA from the Guardian:

I think Trump is totally confused. He doesn't have a clue what's going on. He thinks "this is where I ask Democrats to come back and vote for money for the wall"??? He doesn't get they didn't leave Washington and they've been voting all week??? He thinks by backing off the emergency threat Dems will feel compelled to "come back" and give him what he wants???

Who thought this guy could function in the presidency? He has no idea what is going on.
Now he is saying he won’t call an emergency right now, may be in the future. Ari Melber had a great response to that. Emergency, by definition (dictionary) is something unexpected that happens suddenly. If it can be postponed, it is Not an emergency.

Last edited:

WillyElliot

Wearing White after Labor Day...
Ratings
Yes, because it begs the question: "Why wasn't this a national emergency when Reps owned Congress and the Presidency?" Illegal immigration has been trending downward. But I guess facts won't convince him or his supporters.

Vash01

Ratings
I venture onto the Fox News website now and then to see how they are framing these same issues, and I am rarely able to get beyond the headlines. I know that I need to try harder to do that, but it is not easy to read stuff like: "Dems bungle the stupidest federal shutdown in US history".
You are brave!

ballettmaus

Ratings
At least my nephew has stopped posting things on Facebook about how non-essential government workers should, by definition, be fired anyway, as they clearly don't actually do anything :rolleyes:.
The general ignorance of that comment aside, does he know that people working for air traffic control/security are among the ones considered non-essential? :shuffle: (That said, why are they considered non-essential to begin with?)

Now he is saying he won’t call an emergency right now, may be in the future. Ari Melber had a great response to that. Emergency. By definition (dictionary) is something unexpected that happen suddenly. If it can be postponed, it is Not an emergency.
You gotta have to appreciate that he himself is providing the arguments to strike down his declaring a national emergency in court though ;)

I find it mind-boggling that Republicans are still protecting him.

Vagabond

Ratings
F.B.I. Opened Inquiry Into Whether Trump Was Secretly Working on Behalf of Russia

The criminal and counterintelligence elements were coupled together into one investigation, former law enforcement officials said in interviews in recent weeks, because if Mr. Trump had ousted the head of the F.B.I. to impede or even end the Russia investigation, that was both a possible crime and a national security concern. The F.B.I.’s counterintelligence division handles national security matters.
Even if it were impossible for a President to obstruct justice, it would not necessarly follow that he could not be an existential threat to national security.

:puppet: :watch:

Last edited:

Prancer

Giving it 35% of all I have
Staff member
Ratings
The general ignorance of that comment aside, does he know that people working for air traffic control/security are among the ones considered non-essential? :shuffle: (That said, why are they considered non-essential to begin with?)
:huh: They aren't considered non-essential. They are essential and required to work without pay. That's why the air traffic control union is suing--they are being forced to work without pay. The National Treasury Employees Union, which includes Customs and Border Protection personnel, is also suing for the same reason.

During the last shutdown, similar lawsuits favored the plaintiffs and the government was ordered to pay all the workers who worked without pay double back pay. Some of them haven't been paid in full even now.

The TSA agents haven't sued, but they are beginning to balk at having to work without pay.

At one point, Nephew was pointing to volunteer efforts in the parks as proof that we could all get along just fine without government workers if we would just think outside the box, but he's being quiet now. Which is good :mad:

Vagabond

Ratings
Speaking of "essential personnel," the following appears apposite and should be played on every rock and pop station in the country right now:

Now I got a job
But it don't pay
I need new clothes
I need somewhere to stay
But without all these things I can do
But without your love I won't make it through
But you don't understand my point of view
I suppose there's nothing I can do
Did you stand by me
No, not at all
Did you stand by me
No way

:soapbox:

Simone411

Well bleffing Covfefe! Clippy's flipping over P/C!
Ratings
Why is it so objectionable to give money for expansion of steel fenses that already exist? Trump no longer demands a concrete wall so what’s the problem? Why won’t democrats compromise?
Probably because Trump gave 22 different methods of how he was having Mexico pay for the wall. In other words, 22 fibs on how to lie to the citizens of the U.S.

Vash01

Ratings
Democrats are trying to open various departments, but McConnell refuses to bring any bill to the senate floor unless Trump gets the money for his wall. Makes me Sick! How can anyone blame the democrats for the shutdown?

McConnell must be defeated in 2020.

caseyedwards

Ratings
Probably because Trump gave 22 different methods of how he was having Mexico pay for the wall. In other words, 22 fibs on how to lie to the citizens of the U.S.
regardless of his lie about that the US still needs border security either way. So Mexico isn’t going to pay for trumps wall but trump just wants to expand the border barriers built by Clinton bush and obama. The president after trump will very likely build and maintain more walls than trump even if it’s kamala Harris!!

Vash01

Ratings
regardless of his lie about that the US still needs border security either way. So Mexico isn’t going to pay for trumps wall but trump just wants to expand the border barriers built by Clinton bush and obama. The president after trump will very likely build and maintain more walls than trump even if it’s kamala Harris!!
A wall may not be the best way to secure the border. Democrats want to secure the border. They just don't want to waste billions on an ineffective solution.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 5, Guests: 6)