Dangers of a Trump Presidency--Part 7

aftershocks

Ratings
The really serious deadly stuff they are doing and getting away with, that will have dire long-term impacts, often floats underneath the radar.
For example, as Stephen Colbert sent up in a recent monologue: The Trump administration has "moved to loosen radiation limits." An announcement was put out by the now faux Trump EPA that "smaller exposures of cell-damaging radiation... can make people healthier. They compare it to physical exercise." :eek:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6OaQdSS5VY&list=PLiZxWe0ejyv8CSMylrxb6Nx4Ii2RHbu_j

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apI7RNTNop0&index=2&list=PLiZxWe0ejyv8CSMylrxb6Nx4Ii2RHbu_j
Colbert also cites a Politico report: "Trump has the worst popularity numbers for an American president among Canadians that I have ever seen... The negative reaction is visceral and total." Colbert's suggestion that Canadians have adopted a new flag indicative of their reaction to Trump is actually funny and seriously apt. ;)

The fact that the NAFTA agreement was done away with by Trump only to return in essentially the same form but with a new name is not even mind-boggling or surprising. It's just another blase WTF stupefying pile-up of ridiculosity that's wasting taxpayers money among other unproductive, ego-maniacal initiatives Trump has undertaken. And yes, Colbert's send-up is actually funny in a seriously sad way. It's important to laugh and to learn, and maybe find a way to try and do something that feels hopeful.

aftershocks

Ratings
I'm currently one of the most active posters in PI whereas you pop in every now and then and often post links to things that we've already discussed. (Most recent example, Hillary Clinton's appearance on Madam Secretary).
I've also expressed concern about Trump's rhetoric long before the election and was the first poster to express doubt that the institutions would hold and to express concern over the damage that Trump would do to democracy. So, I'm well aware of what this "presidency" is (or isn't) and I'd appreciate if you spared me the lecture.

You may find Haley's sucking up funny. I don't because it's part of the bigger picture that is the Trump threat to the institutions and I believe that dismissing the little things played a role in giving us Trump. You obviously disagree and since we are repeating outselves, I'm going to leave it at that.
Yep I don't stay in PI relentlessly. There's nothing wrong with doing so, and there's nothing wrong with popping in every now and then. I posted my reaction to the Madam Secy premiere episode in the Hillary thread, yes. If posters' reactions have already been discussed elsewhere, cool. :)

As another poster just said, petty back-and-forth when we tend to agree generally but happen to see things from a different perspective is not part of any kind of solution.

Chalk another one up for ignoring and/ or failing to understand my previous posts, or taking my comments so negatively you choose to exaggerate and misinterpret what I said. Go back and notice that you were the one who decided to start the admonishing, to what end is unclear. When you decide to lecture, and then receive a response in kind, you don't like it? Chiefly, I respond to make my point of view crystal clear, often with spur-of-the-moment self-reflection and sharing my thoughts that you can take offense at, as you wish. I suggested what I'm personally thinking might be helpful for me to do for balance and sanity during this time of social/political crisis and upheaval. If you want to stay focused on a satirical comment I made hours ago about Nikki Haley, oh well.

nylynnr

Ratings
Pres. Trump has already said he doesn't think the Fed should be raising interest rates. His opinion isn't having an impact, though. Obviously the Fed raises rates when unemployment is down, wages up and CPI increasing (albeit relatively modestly), that's the rule of thumb and I don't see Trump's tweets changing it. Rock-bottom interest rates weren't going to last forever, although it sometimes seemed as if they would.

Buzz

Ratings
Trump told Fox News that the Chinese have “lived too well for too long”. He also said that his tariffs have hurt the Chinese economy and that he has more work to do! Those words make it sound like his Chinese tariffs are about jealousy and racism not trade! A wealthy, healthy and successful Chinese economy benefits everyone. Why can’t he see that?!
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45826869

Sparks

Ratings
A transgender student was left behind during an active shooter drill because teachers didn't know which locker room to send her to. https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/transgender-student-unprotected-drill/

Thanks Betsy DeVos! (If there were a shooter in the school, why on earth does it matter if the kids are in the gender-correct locker room to begin with? Who freaking cares as long as they are safe?)
Yet, Melania says she's the most bullied person in the world

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Ratings
Yet, Melania says she the most bullied person in the world
I guess it's what she's used to. Even before Trump, as a model, I doubt she faced much in the way of what she's facing now.

I know Melania isn't someone to pity, and she's certainly been tone deaf a.f., but I keep coming back to the fact that she probably didn't sign up for/anticipate any of this when she married Drumpf. Who could think such a man would be president? It doesn't excuse her, but it makes her a bit of a non-issue to me. So far.

Trump told Fox News that the Chinese have “lived too well for too long”. He also said that his tariffs have hurt the Chinese economy and that he has more work to do! Those words make it sound like his Chinese tariffs are about jealousy and racism not trade! A wealthy, healthy and successful Chinese economy benefits everyone. Why can’t he see that?!
This is why I know he's in bed with Russia. He's too comfortable going after China, probably the most powerful country in the world.

But honestly, why pick on the country that makes your products? Unless the price went up in his factories...?

BittyBug

And the band played on
Ratings
The lack of self-awareness and context is stunning. And I cut her no slack because she is a liar just like the rest of them. "I like the Washington." Right, honey. That's why you spend all your time in hiding.

Sorry, but if she were serious about bullying she'd start at home with her husband.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Ratings
He did say jobs should come back from China. While wearing a MAGA hat. Now, I understand at least someone in Trump's circle made sure that garbage was made in the USA, but what about the rest of the stuff he shills?

ballettmaus

Ratings
Trump has no intention of halting the Saudi arms deal due to the missing journalist. https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...5875bac0b1f_story.html?utm_term=.4467adce222a

He also doesn't seem to have known that the journalist was a US resident https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1050425941460172801

and added "assuming it happened" to the fact that it's a terrible thing https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1050423839035920384

and he seemed to think that the US didn't have any responsibility to warn the journalist that there might have been a threat https://twitter.com/rgoodlaw/status/1050429701293056001

Simone411

Well bleffing Covfefe! Clippy's flipping over P/C!
Ratings
Because he's a rotten vermicious knid that would try to do harm to the Chinese and the Oompa Loompas if given the chance.

VIETgrlTerifa

Ratings
Melania Trump saying she's the most bullied person in the world is so incredibly self-centered and ignorant of people's plights that it's fitting that she's associated with Trump. Let's stop pretending she's some poor girl who married a rich man and got into a situation she did not bargain for. She and Trump are birds of a feather.

VIETgrlTerifa

Ratings
The abuse of children under the Trump administration continues:

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news...-border-and-convinced-to-sign-away-her-rights

According to a long-standing legal precedent known as the Flores settlement, which established guidelines for keeping children in immigration detention, Helen had a right to a bond hearing before a judge; that hearing would have likely hastened her release from government custody and her return to her family. At the time of her apprehension, in fact, Helen checked a box on a line that read, “I do request an immigration judge,” asserting her legal right to have her custody reviewed. But, in early August, an unknown official handed Helen a legal document, a “Request for a Flores Bond Hearing,” which described a set of legal proceedings and rights that would have been difficult for Helen to comprehend. (“In a Flores bond hearing, an immigration judge reviews your case to determine whether you pose a danger to the community,” the document began.) On Helen’s form, which was filled out with assistance from officials, there is a checked box next to a line that says, “I withdraw my previous request for a Flores bond hearing.” Beneath that line, the five-year-old signed her name in wobbly letters.
This is after they separated this five year old from her family, held her at some Baptist shelter, and after they were supposed to stop separating families. It's out-of-control.

Jess Morales Rocketto, of Families Belong Together, told me that Helen’s reunion—the result of the first known public mobilization to free a specific kid from O.R.R. custody—holds lessons for a broader organizing effort. “One of the things Helen’s story really showed us is that the Trump Administration never stopped separating children from their families,” Morales Rocketto said. “In fact, they’ve doubled down, but it’s even more insidious now, because they are doing it in the cover of night.” She added, “We believe that there are more kids like Helen. We have learned we cannot take this Administration at their word.”

We are abusing children and causing irreparable harm to families just to be spiteful.