Dangers of a Trump Presidency--Part 7

Japanfan

Ratings
What could be more beautiful and magical than 100 acres of butterflies? I've never heard of this center before, and unfortunately now will likely never have an opportunity to visit it. :(

45 is not only woefully lacking in intelligence and compassion, but really has no appreciation of beauty. I don't think his gilded apartment is beautiful at all - to the contrary I think it is ugly. Taking a purely aesthetic viewpoint, all the gold is too gawdy, bright and overpowering - inhibiting the expression of other design elements/features.

I guess this just occurred to me now because Trump keeps hitting new lows in terms of the coarseness and grossness of his character. The man has probably never taken a moment in his whole life to appreciate the beauty of a butterfly (or bird, or ___, or ____).

sk9tingfan

Ratings
I've been working extensively for Fight Back Connecticut, primarily doing quite a few phone banks. Many of the women that I have spoken to are irate after the Kavanaugh confirmation and have indicated that they will be voting democratic. Some of the men who agree to answer my questions are less emphatic but firm in their commitment to vote in Democrats across the board. Others have indicated that they are either not going to discuss their intentions over the phone or are undecided. While I know that my observations based on such a small sample(estimated calls to date, about 1200- 1500), my sense is that it will be women who will be driving this election season for the Democrats.

Met Chris Murphy yesterday who gave quite a speech at a spontaneously scheduled meeting in Newington, CT. I would estimate that about 100 people showed up from the local area. He indicated that he took his two young sons to the vote and then chose to walk back to his office above ground in lieu of taking the "protective" tunnels. He did so deliberately to show his sons all of the people who had shown up from around the country to protest this confirmation, an characteristic of democracy.

In addition to phone banking(some out in the parking lot!), most those who attended did canvassing out in the community. If this is any indication of a galvanized community, then perhaps this is replicating itself elsewhere across the United States.

once_upon

Ratings
Hmmm..Trump going to be here tomorrow. Apparently there are still tickets available, unlike last time he was here.
Of course, kids are back in school and I think some of the Catholic schools are having parent-teacher conferences

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Medvedeva, T&M, Shibs, P&C
Ratings
I am still reading 'Fear'. About 70 pages to go. From the various episodes described in it, it is so clear that Trump is will fully ignorant and stubborn. He flies by the seat of his pants and often when experts disagree with him, he tells them - You are wrong. They have to find creative ways to get things done, and/or keeping him from doing something disastrous. I don't know how they can handle the insults he keeps throwing at them.

VIETgrlTerifa

Ratings
The world may be effed up by 2040 anyway:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/07/climate/ipcc-climate-report-2040.html

President Trump, who has mocked the science of human-caused climate change, has vowed to increase the burning of coal and said he intends to withdraw from the Paris agreement. And on Sunday in Brazil, the world’s seventh-largest emitter of greenhouse gas, voters appeared on track to elect a new president, Jair Bolsonaro, who has said he also plans to withdraw from the accord.

The report was written and edited by 91 scientists from 40 countries who analyzed more than 6,000 scientific studies. The Paris agreement set out to prevent warming of more than 3.6 degrees above preindustrial levels — long considered a threshold for the most severe social and economic damage from climate change. But the heads of small island nations, fearful of rising sea levels, had also asked scientists to examine the effects of 2.7 degrees of warming.

PrincessLeppard

Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple
Ratings
So the arena where Trump rally will happen in an hour is currently only half full. And some people lined up this morning at six am. :lol: The weather is really shitty right now, but the last time he was here was late December 2015 and it was full.

ETA: It now looks about 3/4 full with a half hour to go. Apparently there is a line outside of people waiting to get in. The arena holds 7000. Let's see what Trump claims during his speech.

Last edited:

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Ratings
Holy crap I just heard Trump has appointed Ivanka to replace Nikki Haley at the UN. WTF???

Oh wait he think she would be dynamite but Ivanka has said she won't take it on.

Still that he even suggested it is unbelievable.

VIETgrlTerifa

Ratings

Skittl1321

Ratings
She has college age kids. I don't blame her for wanting to make some money.
I don't know if it's true, but I've read it's over a million in debt. That's not a kids in college thing.

I wonder where she will go work. The government pays her $180k. That's not exactly nothing. That should go a long way towards putting kids through college.

Last edited:

PrincessLeppard

Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple
Ratings
You guys, Trump is speaking in Iowa (a swing state, for those of you keeping track) and just told the audience, "I want to get the hell out of here."

Way to pander to the base, there, Trumpie.

Of course, it was one of the few truthful things he said all night, so....

MacMadame

Cat Lady-in-Training
Ratings
I wonder where she will go work. The government pays her $180k. That's not exactly nothing. That should go a long way towards putting kids through college.
I make almost that much and I couldn't afford to send my kids to a good college. Community college followed by a state school for the final two years, sure. But that's about it.

Of course I live in CA where it takes about 85k to raise a family of four providing the bare minimum. :shuffle:

She could probably make a million a year doing something in the private sector especially if she supplemented with speaking engagements.

Skittl1321

Ratings
I make almost that much and I couldn't afford to send my kids to a good college. Community college followed by a state school for the final two years, sure. But that's about it.

Of course I live in CA where it takes about 85k to raise a family of four providing the bare minimum. :shuffle:

She could probably make a million a year doing something in the private sector especially if she supplemented with speaking engagements.
Her daughter goes to Clemson. Their instate tuition is under $15k. Her son isn't actually in college yet, he's 16.

That's plenty of money for South Carolina. Her expenses were paid for by the US when she was in New York.

I agree her issue was fraud investigation, not lack of salary. She's never made much more than this post (her governor salary was over $200k though). Her husband works too. But she's never pulled in massive money that she gave up for this post

Their debt is insane though, so really it's not like they wouldn't take student loans.

I'd bet her earning potential would be higher in the future if she hadn't quit. Although maybe once Trump is gone the tide will turn enough that there isn't demand. Got to strike while the iron is hot.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Ratings
Ford is going to layoff workers. Apparently, they are restructuring but they also lost around $1billion due to the tariffs. https://www.nbcnews.com/business/autos/trump-s-tariffs-have-already-cost-ford-1b-now-it-n917756
I wonder how this will impact on Trump's support base. However the motor industry over the years has probably been subjected to more changes over a lot of other industries. In Australia we don't have a motor industry per se any more due to the companies taking their business out of Australia.

The other problem with motor industry restructuring, those who end losing their jobs are usually workers who are not qualified for anything else so have a hard time of being redeployed.

Will be interesting to see how this pans out.

once_upon

Ratings
So the arena where Trump rally will happen in an hour is currently only half full. And some people lined up this morning at six am. :lol: The weather is really shitty right now, but the last time he was here was late December 2015 and it was full.

ETA: It now looks about 3/4 full with a half hour to go. Apparently there is a line outside of people waiting to get in. The arena holds 7000. Let's see what Trump claims during his speech.
So I know two people who were there. One had tickets, one stayed outside in the rain watching on the big screen. The one inside - you could have pushed me over with a feather. I never, in a million years, thought D and J were trump supporters. A was supposed to be at a finance meeting and sent me an email this morning saying she wouldn't be there because well you know. I didn't put it together until I got home.

I also know the woman protesting who was interviewed by the news. Lucy is a pistol. I'm proud to know her.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 21, Guests: 17)