Dangers of a Trump Presidency--Part 7

WillyElliot

Wearing White after Labor Day...
Ratings
Trump thinks that the California water is being "diverted into the Pacific Ocean." :wall:s

http://www.electoral-vote.com/evp2018/Senate/Maps/Aug07.html#item-5
And of course that is one of the RW memes now going through FB. I was listening to NPR yesterday and they had a scientist from some university in CA whose area of study is in climate change/forest fires. He completely debunked this and did not even know how that idea could have even started. He went into great detail of why that is ridiculous, and I'm sorry that I did not pay more attention to detail to explain his answer. But he explained why that is not even possible to use rivers for that purpose, mentioning fresh/salt water and evaporation. Does anyone else here listen to NPR? Anyway, it was debunked and water being diverted into the Pacific Ocean has nothing to do with fighting the fires.

Meredith

what a glorious day!
Ratings
And of course that is one of the RW memes now going through FB. I was listening to NPR yesterday and they had a scientist from some university in CA whose area of study is in climate change/forest fires. He completely debunked this and did not even know how that idea could have even started. He went into great detail of why that is ridiculous, and I'm sorry that I did not pay more attention to detail to explain his answer. But he explained why that is not even possible to use rivers for that purpose, mentioning fresh/salt water and evaporation. Does anyone else here listen to NPR? Anyway, it was debunked and water being diverted into the Pacific Ocean has nothing to do with fighting the fires.
I Googled it and found Ari Shapiro's interview with Professor Leroy Westerling on NPR' s website. Sorry, but can't link with my phone.
Yes, NPR is my go-to radio station when I drive, which is often.

ballettmaus

Ratings
I suspect most of us Americans here do. ;)
It may be a remnant of the allied forces but you can actually even listen to it in Berlin!

Regardless, you don't have to listen to NPR to know that rivers flow into the sea or a lake unless diverted by man elsewhere.
And that it can be dangerous to mess with that as it would throw off the salt water content of the Pacific Ocean and kill marine life.

ballettmaus

Ratings
The idea to make it harder for legal immigrants to get citizenship if they use government benefits is still alive. https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/im...ts-limit-citizenship-legal-immigrants-n897931

This is something that I think is wrong with the MSM. I know for sure that I read that this was in the works before. It's been a while. But it's not new. But it also wasn't huge news and then disappeared again from the headlines. I understand that there is a lot going on but Trump has been in office long enough for the MSM to adapt and they should have some grip on how to balance their coverage by now so that these things don't drop off the radar until it's too late. Maybe covering a Trump rally or two less and not writing an article each time someone utters a new sentence in the Russia investgation might give them room to cover other things more thoroughly.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Ratings

MacMadame

Cat Lady-in-Training
Ratings
For Trumps's tweets about the CA wildfires, he is mangling common conservative talking points.

The thing about the water being diverted into the Pacific is coming from farmers in the Central Valley who constantly bitch that they aren't getting enough water from NorCal and, goddamnit, they deserve it. The reason they aren't getting it is because there is only so much to go around and we need to make sure enough flows into the ocean to sustain life there. We already have enough problems with manatee dying because there aren't enough shrimp in the ocean to feed them. Also, if too much water gets diverted to the CV, the Port of Sacramento won't be a port anymore and that would be a disaster economically.

The "tree clear" part is a complaint that oaks and heritage trees are a protected species. Conservatives are claiming that because they are protected, dead ones can't be cleared and that's why there is so much fuel for these fires. The problem with that point is that there is no law that says you can't clear dead trees. Instead, there has been forest mismanagement because people are building too close to the forests so the forestry people can't allows small fires to burn out the dead stuff. They used to do that but you can't let them burn instead of putting them out anymore because it puts homes and people in danger.

Also, he's an idiot.

Reuven

Official FSU Alte Kacher
Ratings

Vagabond

Ratings
For Trumps's tweets about the CA wildfires, he is mangling common conservative talking points....

Also, he's an idiot.
It's the mangling that concerns me most. He seems to have a serious cognitive impairment. And calling him an idiot is an easy (if somewhat comforting) way of dismissing the problem.

MacMadame

Cat Lady-in-Training
Ratings
He may have "serious cognitive impairment" or he may just not care enough to remember the details. We really have no way of knowing as we are not experts who have examined him and we only have his public behavior to go by.

ballettmaus

Ratings

ballettmaus

Ratings
Wouldn’t have anything to do with the fact that Russia is the largest producer of asbestos, could it?
Russia is reportedly selling asbestos with Trump's face on the packaging. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...h-the-presidents-face/?utm_term=.7609875d6821

Not related to asbestos but Russia, I've read that the new Russia sanctions bill was leaked to the Russian press in full (before it was leaked to the US press). I've not seen any of the major news outlets confirm though but considering that Rand Paul was just in Russia, I wouldn't find it surprising.

VIETgrlTerifa

Ratings

Vagabond

Ratings
"President Trump has repeatedly denounced what he calls “chain migration,” in which adult American citizens can obtain residency for their relatives. His Slovenian in-laws became US citizens in Manhattan on Thursday by taking advantage of that very program."
Does he even have direct contact with them -- or, for that matter, their daughter -- any more? :unsure:

Susan1

Ratings

skatingguy

Golden Team
Ratings

skatingguy

Golden Team
Ratings
@skatingguy They have a daughter and grandson in the Trump family. That doesn't necessarily mean they have anything to do with their lout of a son-in-law.
Certainly, I just thought it was important to note that Melania's parents do have regular contact with the family, and travel with the President on a regular basis. How much contact they have with the President himself, I have no idea, but it supports the hypocrisy argument by showing that his policy on immigration is something that applies to others, and not his own family.

ballettmaus

Ratings
Wilbur Ross is accused of having stolen $120 million from business associates https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...llegedly-siphoned-money-associates/925300002/

Trump is doubling steel and aluminium tariffs for Turkey https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...effort-punish-country/?utm_term=.3cbbf43cc16f

Wage growth is getting swallowed by inflation https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...entirely-by-inflation/?utm_term=.8d5ad005ca85

Inflation rose 2.9 percent from July 2017 to July 2018, the Labor Department said, while average hourly pay increased 2.7 percent over the same period.
The last time wages were growing substantially above inflation was in 2016. Since then, inflation has picked up while wages have remained the same. Inflation hit a six-year high this summer and most economists think it will stay around where it currently is or even grow a bit faster, especially if Trump’s tariffs on Chinese products and steel and aluminum drive up costs for consumers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 22, Guests: 11)