Dangers of a Trump Presidency--Part 7

topaz

Ratings
Maybe. I just think that Trump has absolutely no bounds to what awfulness he would visit on these kids if he thought it would benefit himself in some way or make money for his friends.

The group housing the kids in tents are supposed to be getting $700 a night.

I presume they will get deported when they turn 18, if not adopted?
I don't think they'll be deported. Like I stated earlier, I believe these kids throughout their lives will probably be used as cheap labor. This is currently happening at several detention centers. If the detainees refuse they are being threatened with solitary confinement if they refuse.

https://theintercept.com/2018/01/11/ice-detention-solitary-confinement/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-of-anti-slavery-laws/?utm_term=.13fb3d3793cc
Some will be victims of sex trafficking.

MacMadame

Cat Lady-in-Training
Ratings
where have you read that?
In several places. I'll try to find them again.

No, not that one. Though I did read that.

Here is an article that talks about the issue and whether or not the kids will be adopted:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/new...under-zero-tolerance-face-adoption/744303002/

Not everyone agrees that they will be adopted, but once they are in the foster system, adoption is always a possibility.

Also, one of the organizations in that article has been criticized in the past from profiting from international adoption. (There is a movement among a certain group of Christians to solve the problem of child poverty by adopting kids from developing countries. But it's turned into a racket with non-orphans being sent to the US as orphans. This is a longer article about it:

https://newrepublic.com/article/127311/trouble-christian-adoption-movement)

Unforuntately, the organizations that run a lot of the foster care systems are the same ones doing this and the separated kids are being placed into their care. It troubles me.

There was one article about an actual adoption and how an organization profited, but I can't find it any more.

ballettmaus

Ratings
If we were to rank the most corrupt democratically elected government in the history of the modern world, I wonder where trumps administration would rank.
I don't know about that but the US dropped from seventh to 31st in the country ranking on liberal democracy. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...at-includes-americans/?utm_term=.7bb346f288fa

The United States fell 24 places in the country ranking on liberal democracy over the past two years, from seventh in 2015 to 31st in 2017. When we compare the United States’ score in 2017 with its average score over the past 10 years, the drop is precipitous and unprecedented.

Experts lowered their estimates of democracy in the United States because they began to be skeptical that the U.S. Congress will rein in executive overreach. Similarly, experts lost faith that the opposition party can contribute to overseeing, investigating or otherwise checking the majority party. The U.S. executive branch was assessed as showing less respect for the Constitution and compliance with the judiciary, two indicators that the judicial branch can restrain the executive.

For all four indicators, the score for the United States declined. The downward trend in the United States is much worse than in other countries. In terms of government compliance with decisions of the Supreme Court, the United States used to rank among the top countries of the world — but has now declined to No. 48.

ballettmaus

Ratings
This possible scenario re NATO is scary, even if it's not necessarily the most probable one.
And there's someone else who ignores that NATO contributions consists of so much more than paying a percentage of the GDP and that countries agreed to up their payments to 2% by 2024. Last I checked, that's still 6 years off, so, no, Trump is not on "solid ground" pushing for it.

Other than that, when the news broke that Russia could be interfering, I immediately said that I believe that breaking up NATO and destabilizing the EU is (one of) Putin's Goals. It's the first thought that jumped to my mind, so I absolutely think that this is probable.

(I had the same thoughts about the projection. ;))

Zemgirl

Ratings
And there's someone else who ignores that NATO contributions consists of so much more than paying a percentage of the GDP and that countries agreed to up their payments to 2% by 2024. Last I checked, that's still 6 years off, so, no, Trump is not on "solid ground" pushing for it.
Shapiro is well aware of that; he's just not focusing on it in this specific thread other than to say that Trump is undervaluing the contributions of allies to US security.

Pushing for something ≠ pushing for it to happen, like, tomorrow.

ballettmaus

Ratings
Last month, the House introduced the Unmasking Antifa Act. Normally, I wouldn't be concerned but I am with this administration. This can easily be abused and used to shut down criticism they don't like.
http://thehill.com/homenews/house/396404-unmasking-antifa-act-includes-15-year-prison-term-proposal

Two economists of the Federal Reserve think that the tax cuts' effect on the economy will be smaller than anticipated. (Now we're all surprised?) http://thehill.com/policy/finance/3...tax-law-will-boost-economy-less-than-expected

Pushing for something ≠ pushing for it to happen, like, tomorrow.
Trump keeps accusing countries of not paying what they should be paying. Trump clearly isn't pushing anyone to meet the goals set for 2024, he thinks everyone should be paying 2% now. Makes no sense to me to say he's on solid ground when you're aware that the goals are set for 2024. Countries are upping their spending, they've go six more years. No reason for Trump to keep accusing countries of doing something they're not supposed to do yet. If it were 2023 and the situation looked like it's now, I'd understand and I'd agree that he's on solid ground. But they've got six years and they're working on it and for Trump, it's just a way to attack and possibly justify pulling out. I wouldn't exactly call that being on solid ground (unless I agree with him).

snoopy

Team St. Petersburg
Ratings
Trump now wants NATO members to commit to spending 4% of their GDP on the military. He has to know that no country would say yes to that so what is the point except to destroy NATO.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-44799027

this is to benefit big Republican donors and voters with families in the defense industry (cough fraumueller cough).

More spending = more sales.

skatingguy

Golden Team
Ratings
Trump is totally projecting and wants the U.S. out of NATO. If that happens I see Russia making more military incursions into Ukraine.
I don't think increased military incursions in Ukraine are the main concern. The nightmare scenario is Trump pulling the US out of NATO, and Putin invading the Baltic countries. The world then goes to war in Europe and the US sits on the sidelines.

snoopy

Team St. Petersburg
Ratings
I don't think Trump has any intention of pulling the US out of NATO. His bluster is a ploy for the rest of NATO to buy more defense equipment (from the US).

WildRose

Ratings
Trump doesn’t have a clue how NATO works and refuses to learn. It was because of NATO that America’s allies fought and died along side US troops in the war in Afghanistan. Something America has apparently forgotten. Next time America is attacked Trump can ask his good friend in North Korea for his help instead.

caseyedwards

Ratings
But unlike Taliban Russia is invading Ukraine and annexing Crimea and what’s Europe doing about that?! NOTHING!! It’s buying Russian gas. This talking point of NATO soldiers dying in Afghanistan is seems like pure gold to the people using it but now huge threat is not Afghanistan but Russia and yes nato died in battle against Taliban but what about Russia? Why not at least give weapons to ukriane like the us is doing?!

FiveRinger

Ratings
We finally got Manafort's mugshot. His new facility released it. Apparently, his lawyers argued for a venue change, and then changed their minds. The judge granted the request saying that he needed to be closer to his legal team. Manafort's team said that they were concerned for his safety and about his acclimating to his new environment. The judge responded that since there were no specific incidents pertaining to Manafort's safety that he should be moved. He also said that Manafort having access to his lawyers was more important than his comfort. He supposedly had a larger cell, access to his own phone, and the use of his laptop while in his cell at the old facility before today's transfer. Too funny!

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/paul-manafort-mug-shot_us_5b477f97e4b0bc69a784fc60

WanderlustTO

Ratings
Trump is currently doing a great job playing the role of the stereotypical Ugly American on a European Vacation.

Every foreign trip he's like a monkey tossing its own feces.

I was reading an NYT article today about how "alpha males" are attracted to him...maybe they confused "alpha" with "incel"...who knows.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 0)