1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dangers of a Trump Presidency--Part 7

Discussion in 'Politically Incorrect' started by Prancer, Jul 28, 2017.

1. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

WTF is happening in our *country*!

Or what?

I didn't want Evan McMullin to be president. I wanted Hillary. As did the majority of the country.

skatemomaz and falling_dance like this.
  2. dr.frog

dr.frog Well-Known Member

3. Aerobicidal

Aerobicidal American Outrage

Thank you so much for saying this.

Since last spring, I've been posting very infrequently on FSU because the political threads were making me upset. (Of course, I realize it's my fault for reading and getting invested in them.) The combination of gloating ("My candidate won and you're just upset about it! Suck it hater!") and bizarre optimism that this administration was actually going to be even minimally supportive of any given non-white, non-male, non-Christian, non-straight person or group in the universe--it was making me sad and angry. The phenomenon obviously extends far outside FSU, but I'd come to care about this community and I realized that wasn't very true anymore.

I don't feel one iota of validation that the administration turned out to be as bad, if not worse, than I expected. I would never get any satisfaction about saying, "I told you so" as a response to the President refusing to decry hate, racism, intimidation, and terrorism.

Finally, as far as "many sides," the only thing I can say is **** that shit. His meaning isn't vague. The "many sides" are all the people who want and need liberation from authoritarian, nationalist oppression in this country; they're the gays, the transpeople, the Jews, the Muslims, the women, the immigrants--everyone whose very existence pisses off Trump because how dare their low-stamina, non-alpha male weakness taint his Great Again America and, on top of that, they want rights and freedoms?

I know repeating these far from novel arguments is probably not going to lead to anything productive, but I've adopted a new slogan: "Rant today; organize tomorrow."

4. dr.frog

I don't see how arguing about the election results does anything to unite the country or get us out of this mess. It's OVER, Republicans and conservatives will NEVER accept that HRC wuzrobbed, and we need to focus on finding new leaders who are less polarizing and better able to command support or at least respect from people on both right and left.

I've said this before, but putting country over party applies to Democrats too.

debo likes this.
  5. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

Says the person who (a) brought up the elections and (b) gets mad every time she sees Hillary. :rolleyes:

6. dr.frog

Susan1 brought up the election. My comment about Hillary was a sarcastic turn-about on her ludicrous claim that she gets mad every time she sees Evan McMullin because he stole Hillary's votes. Whatever.

debo likes this.
  7. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Thank you for this. I just want to add to the whole alpha male thing...there is no such thing as an alpha male. Just man-children and people who for some reason have some strange void in their upbringing need to feel some strong man will take care of them and actually admire horrible, abusive behavior that they exhibit.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  8. Aerobicidal

Aerobicidal American Outrage

Indeed, as well as a pathetic attempt to try to justify misogyny, gender binaries, and everything that would make Judith Butler pull out her hair.

I associate "alpha male" with Phyllis Schlafly, Anita Bryant, and Ann Coulter--these anti-feminist women (as if there could be a monolithic conception of feminism, or of the words "woman/women"). Like, lots of people on the right are so pleased to have women who hate a movement attempting to empower women.

As a queer person who saw the rise and whatever of Milo, Twinks for Trump, etc., I'm just glad I have a lot of beer and wine in my house at the moment.

9. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Thank you for saying so well what I've been thinking.

I've been so upset and angry while reading about what's going down in Charlottesville since last night. This was ALWAYS going to be the result of a Cheeto presidency. Anyone who convinced themselves otherwise had their head in the sand. And simply getting rid of the Head Cheeto won't reverse this racist empowerment movement, because Pence and Ryan are not going to do enough to stand up to the hatred that has been legitimized.

10. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

The Justice Department has launched a civil rights investigation into the Charlottesville rally, specifically, if I understand correctly, into the car which was driven into the crowd.

http://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...artment-opens-civil-rights-investigation-into

If it had been an Islamist extremist driving a car into a crowd of white people, would it have been a civil rights investigation then, too? Oddly enough, I have a feeling that it would have been considered terrorism then. This double standard is a disgrace! Driving a car into a crowd cannot be called terrorism when Islamist extremists do it and a civil rights matter when Nazis do it. They have to make up their minds.

DORISPULASKI, Buzz and Marge_Simpson like this.
  11. Artistic Skaters

Artistic Skaters Drawing Figures

Look what they did to beautiful Charlottesville. :(

I've read numerous articles but still have so many unanswered questions until they post more details. It sounds like there was no permit for the march around UVA last night. I'm wondering why they were allowed to run around the campus with torches intimidating people, unless they planned it surreptitiously & no one knew until they hit the streets. I live right next to a big college campus & don't want to see armed angry men with torches headed my way after this.

I'm also interested in what the ACLU will say about the white supremacist leader's statement that he's going to sue Charlottesville because the city shut down their rally before the start time due to the pre-noon violence already taking place. In retrospect, the larger secondary location where the city wanted them to move it probably would have been safer, but the group challenged it legally with the ACLU & won. The rally cancellation doesn't seem unreasonable considering the escalating violence. I'm interested to see what actions the ACLU (who I usually agree with more often than not) will continue to support for this group after so much violence & death, especially if it's determined people who participated in the violence were directly involved in the group's other activities.

We need to be vigilant without becoming vigilantes. They're going to take this show on the road. Coming soon to a town near you.

BittyBug, Buzz, Marge_Simpson and 3 others like this.
  12. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Trump won't denounce them because this is his base. They were actually marching down the street shouting "Heil Trump".

13. PRlady

PRlady foot in both camps

I'm woefully pleased that many conservatives are speaking out. Kudos to Rubio, Hatch, even friggin' Ted Cruz. @Wyliefan 's publication, too.

I thought I was so politically knowledgable and I'm still shocked at the implied whataboutism of Trump's statement. Shocked and scared.

The only good news is the the Israeli press is really covering this (actual Nazis, d'uh) and I think the number of people here who think Trump is a good thing is shrinking dramatically.

Vash01, ballettmaus, ChelleC and 7 others like this.
  14. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

I heard the nazis did have a permit but the counterprotesters did not.

I'd put the breaks on thinking trump is going to lose many people over this. If they didn't care about his bigotry before the election, they're not going to care now. which isn't to say trump will win re-election but those 40% of intractable republican voters aren't going anywhere.

Vash01 and DORISPULASKI like this.
  15. ribbon

ribbon Active Member

He's been losing little by little, and we're starting to see Republican senators move away from him. I do think he could get below 30% by the end of the year if he keeps at this pace. I think he should be at about 0, but that's because I actually care about the moral character of a leader and his or her competency.

Vash01, ChelleC, DORISPULASKI and 2 others like this.
  16. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Well-Known Member

Charlottesville was a predictable outcome of the hatred and bigotry Trump endorsed on the campaign trail. And yes anyone who voted for him is complicit and effectively endorsed the racism when they decided to "overlook it" and vote for him.

But the responsibility goes further than that. Trump himself is the predictable outcome of the Republicans' policies over the past 30 years to stoke distrust in government and hatred/fear of "others." I will continue to say that Trump can't be separated from the party. He's not of them, but in many ways they brought him into existence. They are not blameless in this. :(

17. Susan1

Susan1 Well-Known Member

It seems like 100 years ago - weren't we all excited because we thought McMullin was going to drop out of the race? Or his running mate said he supported Hillary or something?

And to borrow from the trumpanzees, General Lee lost the Civil War. Get over it.

Why isn't he bragging about the crowd size there to take America back for him?

Crackpots (G rated version of what's in my head) on FB and showing pictures of a license plate and that they didn't catch the person who did it and the guy in custody is not a trump supporter and "stuff" like that. Good grief. For the leventybillion and oneth time. What is wrong with people.

There is also a picture of the lady who was killed (on a reputable page). I haven't watched any t.v. this morning to see if they have it.

18. allezfred

allezfred That Irish Guy Staff Member

Anyone who votes for the Republican Party after this weekend needs to take a long hard look at themselves.

19. snoopy

DORISPULASKI likes this.
  20. allezfred

allezfred That Irish Guy Staff Member

Interesting that the article once again excuses the murderer's actions away on his mental health.

21. snoopy

I think we need to recognize the republicans aren't going to do a damn thing. The people who want Muslims to clean up their own house aren't going to lift a finger to clean up theirs.

orbitz7391, MacMadame, Jimena and 5 others like this.
  22. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Weld too. Weld who was Johnson's running mate started saying huge praise of Hillary Clinton seemed like he may drop out and support Hillary but he didn't! Horribly.

23. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Truth!

DORISPULASKI and skatesindreams like this.
  24. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

This speaks for me, as well.
    By refusing to denounce Trump, everything he stood for; and the many nefarious actions which he was already engaged in during the campaign, they legitimized his candidacy.
    This created a much larger "base", including voters who gave him the "benefit of the doubt".

MarieM, Vash01, Buzz and 4 others like this.
  25. skatesindreams

26. BittyBug

BittyBug And the band played on

I see your point that the policies of the Republican party, which have been become increasingly less tolerant of diversity, laid the groundwork for Trump. And I agree that the party as a whole, in backing Trump, gave license to every bigot to come out from under cover. But those ultimately responsible for this are every single person who with their vote on November 8, 2017, said that Trump was a better path for this country. Especially those who in the face of Trump's repeated disparagement of every type of minority in this country and the very clear signals of Trump's belief structure telegraphed by his choice of advisors (Bannon, Miller, Gorka) held their nose and voted for him anyway with an "I don't agree with him, but...." Complicit, indeed.

27. skatesindreams

One of the most terrible things about the "ascendancy" of Trump and his associates, is that even impeachment would do little or nothing to undo the damage he has caused.
    His beliefs, practices, and philosophy are increasingly acceptable to many millions of Americans; especially those who are politically active.
    I don't believe that will change quickly enough to alter the unfortunate, disastrous course which he/they are setting for all of us, who will be victims of his choices and actions.

28. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I agree but the Cory Gardner and Orin hatch and Marco Rubios should still all become impeachment advocates so the president can be counted on to day the right things and use government power to try to target hate groups and not empower them. Like I think Pence would fire bannon Gorka and Miller. I think that's obvious.

Vash01 likes this.
  29. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

White supremacists are celebrating Trump's refusal to outright disavow the alt-right.

http://www.businessinsider.com/neo-nazis-celebrate-trumps-remarks-about-charlottesville-riots-2017-8

Vash01 likes this.
  30. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

It's always easier to say something on twitter than acting on it though. I think the true test will come once recess is over. Will Republicans remember this episode or will they forget about it and remember that all they wanted to begin with is the power?

I read (don't remember where though, I read so much yesterday) that no one had a permit but that the Nazis were allowed to
    march anyway (I think this might be about Friday night though) and then the start of the rally had been cancelled on Saturday because it had gotten violent already and with the help of the ACLU the Nazis sued and won and were allowed to march.

I have to admit, I'm also angry with everyone who didn't vote because Clinton didn't "inspire" them. This is exactly why it didn't freaking matter if they were "inspired" or not and why they needed to vote to prevent Trump. Although, I think what I'm angry with is that they couldn't be bothered to recognize the danger and/or didn't care/thought that their "uninspiredness" was more important than what was important for the country. (And I would care a lot less if they hadn't voted for the same reason if it hadn't been a Trump-like candidate running against Clinton, but this was simply not an election you could afford to sit out for selfish reasons)

I guess, impeachment would be a start but I think in order to start the healing process, the country needs an entirely new administration and something that I don't know how you'll achieve. The hatred these people harbor wasn't born overnight. I think it was always there but they were "suppressed" because shwowing it openly was unaccepted. The first step might be to suppress it again, make them realize that they are a minority but that won't make them go away/change their mind, so something like Trump and Charlottesville can always happen again. :(