Daily Gratitude Journal

Japanfan

I'm still grateful to my husband. :D
Me too. Today he made up a batch of hamburgers, which is usually something I do. I am feeling quite paralyzed, and DH isn't pushing me to get things done. I am managing to do some work, but finding it really hard to focus.

Dobre

what is with the shortage on yeast?
Voila. Ask on FSU, and someone will publish an article about it.

https://tinyurl.com/y95pmsw4

To summarize, the exponential rise in yeast sales due to ********* stocking up completely wiped Fleischmann's out of their 2-3 week buffer yeast supply almost instantly.

"Fleischmann’s has no shortage of raw materials needed to make yeast. The company is hiring and training new workers, dusting off unused equipment and ramping up production. And it’s replenishing low supplies of paper packets and jars.

'We are not leaving any stone unturned to put the supply back into the pipeline,' Heilman says. Still, he estimates it will take one to two months, give or take, to get store shelves stocked again."

The article also mentions that it takes 10 days from the start of the yeast growing cycle to leaving the warehouse, and there are no shortcuts for that process.

Japanfan

Um, cats? :shuffle:
Dogs also. There was a case reported in Japan.
But there are so few cases among animals, and those affected have recovered.

If animals were getting sick and dying at the same rates as humans, the tragedy of BB would be hugely amplified.

An acquaintance of mine had to put her 10-11 year old dog to sleep yesterday due to abdominal growths. Our mutual friend went to be with her. This person was even more bonded with her dog than others who are very bonded with their dogs, such as myself. The two shared a bachelor apartment for all the years of the dog's life.

So, the grief of losing a beloved pet on top of the general (or personal) grief most people are feeling due to BB.

My heart breaks for her. :wuzrobbed

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
Grateful for birthday wishes from friends and family today. I love hearing from people, and it feels nice to be thought of right now!

Dobre

I am grateful for the apple blossoms on the apple tree in the garden and the sunflowers blooming on the hillsides here. (Technically, balsamroot; but we always call them sunflowers). We could do without the ticks that are showing up on the dogs every morning so I am also grateful for the tick medicine we picked up from the vet's office this week. And I am grateful that someone else removed the mouse that was trapped in the dogfood container yesterday. I've missed a few days of journaling so this post should make up for them;).

Japanfan

I am grateful for the Canadian government. I qualified for the CERB (Canadian Emergency Response Benefit) to the BB and received cheques for 8 weeks in the mail today. I am grateful to have a sane PM who is demonstrating good leadership at this time.

Last edited:

Dobre

Do you have a link? Because the last thing I read was that a dog tested positive but that meant the ***** was present, not that the dog was sick.
I don't. It was just the first article that I found when I looked up the topic. I don't remember if it said anything about the dog having symptoms or what they were. I do remember that the dog's humans had the *****, and it seemed clear that the dog got it from them. As Japanfan says, there are so few cases reported in animals. It seems to be a very good sign. Anyway, my kitty is part of my quarantine family and that is that. I need him & he needs me. (I woke up this morning with him sleeping on my head).

sk8pics

@Dobre I am pretty sure the dog was not really suffering from YNW, but had some traces of it in its nose. Anyway, it does seem that cats can get it --in fact, more tigers in the Bronx Zoo were diagnosed-- and I have a cat, too, who is dear to me. He is FIV+ so it is more incentive to me not to be exposed to it.

Prancer

Needs More Sleep
Staff member
I thought I posted yesterday, but alas. I have always been terrible at journaling.

After reading many posts here, I am feeling grateful for many things.

I get to SIP with family.
Our house is big enough that we can all have our own space.
We have a big yard where we can sit in the sun and just breathe while the dog runs around.
The neighborhood (with one exception) is quiet and you can walk for miles without hitting a main road.
The houses here are far enough apart that we are barely aware we have neighbors unless one of us seeks someone out.
I have plenty of things to do, both productive and unproductive. I am not bored or going crazy.

Things are actually pretty good. :)

I’m very grateful that my dog groomer is opening back up. My poor dog looks ridiculous with my home hack job. Two more weeks and she can be beautiful again :)

once_upon

New condo owner
Wine.
And because of zoom, I've talked to my siblings more in the last three weeks than in the last three years. Is that good or not?

JoannaLouise

Official Toaster Oven Monitor
I’m very grateful that my dog groomer is opening back up. My poor dog looks ridiculous with my home hack job. Two more weeks and she can be beautiful again :)
My friend gave her labradoodle a mohawk. He looks amazing. :lol:
So today I guess I'm grateful for photos of Darwin the dog, and his ridiculous haircut.

Dobre

I am grateful for the weekend. My kitty woke up with a sneeze, but it is gone. And I am watching season something or other of Poldark, which is wonderful.

Japanfan

I am grateful for the weekend. My kitty woke up with a sneeze, but it is gone. And I am watching season something or other of Poldark, which is wonderful.
I love Poldark. Are watching the original from the 70s or the recent remake? I have watched the 70s version several time, but couldn't watch the recent version. I guess that the actors you first seeing playing the characters become those characters (Robin Ellis as Poldark and DIFFICULT TO REMEMBER NAME as Demelza), and you can't imagine anyone else in the roles.

I also read all the Poldark books and highly recommend them. There were quite a few of them. Reading them would be an enjoyable pastime during the BB.

VALuvsMKwan

Wandering Goy
I love Poldark. Are watching the original from the 70s or the recent remake? I have watched the 70s version several time, but couldn't watch the recent version. I guess that the actors you first seeing playing the characters become those characters (Robin Ellis as Poldark and DIFFICULT TO REMEMBER NAME as Demelza), and you can't imagine anyone else in the roles.

I also read all the Poldark books and highly recommend them. There were quite a few of them. Reading them would be an enjoyable pastime during the BB.
Angharad Rees. Had to Google it.

Dobre

I love Poldark. Are watching the original from the 70s or the recent remake?
I am watching the newer version, and I love it. It is beautifully done. I understand about falling in love with a particular version, though, and having that world and version of the characters become one's perfect version of a story. I feel that way about many films. It is interesting, though, how one can watch a story several times & not feel much about it & then see a new version and be blown away. And also how one can sometimes go back & rewatch a film that one never felt all that impressed with & have it hit you in a new way because you have changed & learned enough to appreciate it. I have been known to fall in love with more than one version of the same story, though. Maybe not equally but enough to want to watch each more than once. As long as each brings something different to the table.

Japanfan

Angharad Rees. Had to Google it.
IIRC she died a few years back. :(

I read it on Robin Ellis's blog, which he created when he developed diabetes II and wrote a cookbook titled something along the line of 'Healthy Mediterranean Dishes for Diabetics'. He and his wife bought a beautiful old mansion in the French countryside and he created a second successful career for himself as a cookbook author.

skatesindreams

I have watched the 70s version several time, but couldn't watch the recent version. I guess that the actors you first seeing playing the characters become those characters (Robin Ellis as Poldark and DIFFICULT TO REMEMBER NAME as Demelza), and you can't imagine anyone else in the roles.

Demelza - Angharad_Rees
I watched the remake; and much prefer the original version, for the reasons you mentioned,
I've read the books, as well.

quartz

almost, but not quite
Went grocery shopping yesterday and splurged on my favourite Dutch spiced gouda cheese. :swoon:

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
I forgot to post one yesterday, so for yesterday, a random bouquet of flowers that some friend or family anonymously sent me for my birthday!

snoopy

The lack of car traffic has been nice over the past four weeks. Walks have been relatively quiet without all the engines.

Prancer

Needs More Sleep
Staff member
Someone posted on my Nextdoor board that her kids had made a hopscotch game for walkers and were watching in hopes of seeing people try it, so on our walk we strolled over. My old knees were not too thrilled to see that they made 50! squares, but hey--all that effort deserves some reward, so Husband and I creaked our way through and got a round of cheers. (Note to self--practice balancing on one foot :shuffle:).

Our dog distracted a cat long enough for me to rescue a baby bunny.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information