Daily Gratitude Journal

JoannaLouise

Official Toaster Oven Monitor
Driving!

I had to go into the office this morning because my work computer had somehow switched itself off, which meant that I couldn't access it from home. I had forgotten how fun it is to blast the radio while I'm driving! I haven't driven for more than 5 minutes at a time since March; the office is about 20 minutes from my house, but since we live so close to downtown, everything else is either walking distance or a very short drive.

Prancer

Needs More Sleep
Staff member
I am grateful that my students are all sticking with me.

I am taking a class with Zoom lectures, and every time I sit there staring at my screen, I think "This is how my students feel." And I pity them.

Dobre

I am grateful for new leaders. This has been such a stressful, awful time; but it has also been a time that tests people's metal and makes them stand up for the lives of the people under them & for themselves. Earlier this week I was feeling frustrated. I am sick of death threats and people bullying others--especially female leaders, though it is certainly not limited to women--into relinquishing their jobs for telling the truth about this health emergency, making tough choices & not always popular decisions, and saving lives. But also I am impressed at so many people--both men & women--stepping up. Tonight I stumbled on this article about Rebekah Jones, the health official in Florida who refused to doctor the state's statistics.

Well, she has now built her own dashboard & is publishing statistics on her own.
https://tinyurl.com/ycwu6yql

Lorac

I am grateful we gave social bubbles now in England where a single person can now join up with another household. I was finally able to go in my Moms house when dropping off her shopping and gave her a big hug - after washing my hands thoroughly of course. First physically contact with another human being for either of us for 3 months 😍

sk8pics

I’m grateful that two friends from work called me today; they’re a married couple and were driving back from the beach. We are going to try to meet up, outside, next weekend.

once_upon

Voter
I'm grateful that for once I kept my mouth shut about the incident in DC and the bible thumping thing on tonight's family zoom call. Apparently my nephew was called up as National Guard serving as part of]the wonderful triumphic march that trump did. which I did not know and my sister talked about his quarantine. For once I kept my damn mouth shut.

Lizziebeth

I am grateful that it rained for 10 minutes today. There is a big rainstorm passing to the west of me. We are in a drought. Crops look bad. I will be more grateful if it rains for a few more minutes later today. I have to quit watching the radar.

myhoneyhoney

I had to return to work. It's terrifying, but coming back reminded me how much I enjoy my job. I guess I'm lucky to be able to honestly say that.

million$momma

I am grateful that it rained for 10 minutes today. There is a big rainstorm passing to the west of me. We are in a drought. Crops look bad. I will be more grateful if it rains for a few more minutes later today. I have to quit watching the radar.
I also get very excited when it rains these days. Everything around us has a very toasty look to it.

sk8pics

I am grateful that I got to have a meeting/discussion with 3 people from my church this morning, one of whom is our new pastor. (He is not new to us, having helped out in the 90’s and recently been an administrator and then an associate for us.) We sat outside apart from each other and had a wonderful discussion. And we got to have Mass at the very end, still outside, still separated, with individually wrapped hosts and our own plastic glasses for a sip of wine. The meeting was about an hour and a half and the Mass 10 minutes. It was wonderful.

I’m finally going back to work! Just a shift or two a week for now but I get to go back to work!! Which is good because little mic brought me a broom today and told me I need to go to work :shuffle: Sweeping is not my job :rolleyes:

SkateSand

Cat Servant
Our local electric utility's tree trimming contractors came through our neighborhood to trim trees they deem too close to the electrical lines, and you can hardly see any difference at all to our trees. I wouldn't have noticed they cut anything at all except they left a few leaves and pine needles below the trees they trimmed. And, true to the original contractor's word, they didn't touch the Douglas Fir. :)

Rock2

Air conditioning!
We been in the 30s in Toronto for weeks with practically no rain except for a sudden burst yesterday. A few days of (somewhat) relief this coming weekend and back up there as we roll into next week.

once_upon

Voter
I'm truly thankful for grocery aisles online shoppers. And curbside service for takeout. As I am wheezing today.

And for the generous HOA members who together raise funds to do a summer music series - first of the series is tomorrow night, not sure where the musicians will be set up, but we will be able to hear them from our patio.

Lizziebeth

I am grateful for online grocery shopping too. They always make some interesting substitutions but nothing I can't deal with. It is so convenient. Yesterday I picked up some garden stuff from Home Depot plus my groceries and it was so hot out I was glad to get the stuff loaded and go right home.

SkateSand

Cat Servant
I'm grateful for the wildlife we see on our daily neighborhood walks. There are new twin fawns and adorable little balls of fluff, aka quail chicks. Okay, the full grown rattlesnake was less fun :wideeyes: but we gave it a wide berth. And, I'm especially grateful we managed to get a baby lizard out of the house and also managed to save it from one of the cats, who pounced on it the minute we released it outside the house. Didn't know that old cat could move so fast! :lol: But the lizard scampered off, safe and sound, except its tail was slightly shorter. :p

Immortelle

After watching the live stream, I’m grateful to Katia Alexandrovskaya’s wonderful friends in Sydney, for making her memorial available to everyone 💕

PRlady

I’m grateful that my husband and I have been locked up together for more than four months and we’re fine. We still keep each other amused, take turns cooking and cleaning without having to discuss it and support each other thru the bad days.

It helps that we both work so hard that just lying on the couch binging West Wing is entertainment enough but when I think of what this would have been like with my ex, :scream:

MacMadame

Staying at home
I'm grateful to the young people in this town who haven't given up on making the world a better place and keep me on my toes.

IvoryIris

I am grateful for the bonus four months where both of my kids chose to come home to live during the stay at home.

I will smile as my son moves into his new house this weekend and my daughter moves back to her apartment in two weeks. I am glad that they are independent and able to go back to work/school but the mother in me sighs.

Prancer

Needs More Sleep
Staff member
I’m grateful that my husband and I have been locked up together for more than four months and we’re fine. We still keep each other amused, take turns cooking and cleaning without having to discuss it and support each other thru the bad days.

It helps that we both work so hard that just lying on the couch binging West Wing is entertainment enough but when I think of what this would have been like with my ex, :scream:
One of my friends dearly wants a divorce. She had a plan in place to move out and file, but then everything locked down and her plan fell through. Now she isn't working enough to support herself, so there she is, still living with her her husband.

I don't know how she stands it.

LadyM76

I am thankful for my job. I am only working part time, but am so glad to still have a job. I am thankful for my little window AC units that keep my house cool, even when its warm out. I am thankful for a freezer full of beef that we bought last fall. After seeing the prices at the grocery store, very happy to not need to buy any now.

once_upon

Voter
Bacon wrapped filet with butter mushrooms and cheesy broccoli.
Seriously I'm grateful that we have good food. I know there are so many who dont.

We have many butterflies, a beautiful golden orange bird and a hummingbird who love our flowers and feeders.

SkateSand

Cat Servant
I'm grateful for the timing of our daily neighborhood walk this morning when one of our neighbors who has a vineyard happened to be working outside on his vines and asked us if we liked wine. Why, yes, yes I do! And did I like red wine? Yes, I do! So he said to stop by on our way back and he'd give us a bottle. And, sure enough, on our way back he walked over to his driveway gate and handed the wine over. And it was two bottles - a Merlot and a Cabernet. :cheer2: And the fact that he also happens to be the neighborhood hottie was just the icing on the cake. :lol:

sk8pics

I had a nice chat with a neighbor this morning too, although she did not offer me wine. She did offer, when the YNW is over, to come visit and chat by their wood burning stove, and sooner, to come hang out in their backyard and chat. I really like her and her husband so I thought this was nice.

Also one of my former work colleagues came for a visit today and brought cat toys for Bradley. She stayed for 6 hours! :eek: But it was very fun.

Dobre

I am extremely grateful this week for rain. At the start of the week, we had a violent storm. We usually get a couple thunderstorms every summer, but nothing like this. The lightning was striking the ground repeatedly. I saw one bolt appear to strike a field out back behind the house & headed downstairs to tell dad he might want to get "on his horse" AKA take the pickup up the hill & watch for fires. He left. Mom & I stayed in the basement for a few minutes but something started hitting the windows. We came upstairs to see & smell smoke filling the air & barreling around the side of the house. The wind was rioting at a pace we've never seen during thunderstorms here. Then two 70-year-old trees went down in the backyard. Mom was afraid they had hit the roof of the house & that the other trees might go down. (In actuality, one tree took out the patio roof & one hit a power pole that took a bite out of the garage roof). She told me to go out the front door because she was afraid the roof might collapse. Then she decided it was a tornado & told me to come inside. A few more minutes, and we would probably have come to the conclusion that we needed to get in vehicles & get out of there because there was no way we were going to be able to stop a fire in that wind. Thank God, however, at that moment it decided to rain & poured buckets down. (Flooded the road & took lots of apples from the apple tree with it). I saw two more lightning bolts appear to hit the ground in the canyon past our house & more smoke in that direction, but the rain followed that up as well. And Dad made it home safely. He had seen the fire, but the storm was so crazy that the view whited out; and he had to stop the pickup & wait a while. By which point the rain had hit. We had 4 phone calls from folks checking on us. (A neighbor had seen the fire & texted people). But again, thank God for the rain because no one could have gotten to our house or put out that fire in that wind.

Anyway, Dad walked the fireline the next morning & shoveled loads of dirt on silvery sagebrush. We've spent three days sawing & hauling trees out of the backyard. The power company has been out twice, but they are super busy so the cable is currently just hanging down super low with a pink ribbon on it to warn us not to drive into it until they can set up a new pole. (Miraculously, the power never went out). We have two giant tilted tree stumps/roots that look like ships going down in a storm. And the internet is down until the internet company can find time for us. Hence, I'm typing from my house today;), which fortunately just features a loose wall/siding on one side of my deck.

I'm very grateful my own trees didn't damage the neighbors house. And extremely grateful Mom & Dad's house still exists at all. Also grateful for kind neighbors.

And mostly for rain.

Last edited:

PRlady

I’m grateful to the people of DC. Our rate is down again and everyone I see on the street except for those poor homeless people is wearing a mask. It’s a good time to be living in a city with a stereotype of attracting good little boys and girls who got all As and follow the rules. ;)

LadyM76

I am thankful for stocked grocery shelves and enough money to do a big shop without worrying to much about it. I am thankful for people following the mask and distancing recommendations in the store. I am thankful for my hard working husband who has been working full time through all of this. I am grateful for the hours I am getting at work. I am glad we don't live beyond our means, so things are OK for us financially. I know so many people who are struggling.

I am so very thankful that we have all stayed healthy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information