Daily Gratitude Journal

Dobre

Mom & I finally took our "fieldtrip" to walk on the other side of the ranch yesterday. (We were planning to go last week, but it rained). We saw the sights: select and occasionally beautiful visions of a local canyon (we preferred not to traipse down and have to climb back up), a breed of reportedly endangered sagebrush (I cannot tell the difference between it & regular sagebrush except that it is short), tiny white & yellow wildflowers proclaiming that survival in a dry climate is more manageable when one is small (apparently this is not true for weeds), a shiny sunny view of distant Mt. Adams traversed only by slender traveling clouds, and the grand it's-time-to-turn-around landmark of an ancient set of corrals that would definitely no longer hold so much as a solitary cow. We also conquered the following obstacles: removal of one rusty strand of barbed wire; a detour around the back of the ranch where there are a couple ancient grain bins--one with long-since abandoned grain that is slowly rotting & demolishing the bin from the inside out, and a beautifully graveled canyon road that has recently been washed over and buried in fresh earth in one portion and is 100% overgrown with weeds in another.

Voila! Our Memorial Day weekend adventure.
(Dad, I know, is wishing he could be clamming on the coast).

I am grateful for yesterday's adventure, but today I am mutually grateful to have spent most of the afternoon relaxing on the hammock in the backyard.

Tomorrow I must pull rye:p.

Last edited:

Dobre

After reading a fresh round of posts about hair & hair salons today, I must confess that I am grateful my Mom is the one that normally cuts my hair.

Prancer

Needs More Sleep
Staff member
I am grateful that we have finally finished the very difficult 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle that has been making us all crazy.

I am also grateful that we have another one waiting in the wings. It can wait a few days longer, but still--it's there.

Lizziebeth

My neighbors have been on a long term work assignment in Tennessee and have been gone most of the time since last July. Yesterday they appeared and will be staying home for six weeks. So happy to see them.

Lizziebeth

Because. . .poodles!

Although personally I think poodle haircuts take away dignity from very intelligent dogs. :slinkaway
I suspect that these Poodles are getting a buzz cut and skipping the elegant look of show dogs.

My dear departed springers always got buzz cuts in summer - everything but the whiskers. Springer cuts with feathers on legs and long belly hair and ears was cute but :yikes:when they ran in the woods or went for a swim.

Prancer

Needs More Sleep
Staff member
I am grateful that the protest a mile from my house ended well yesterday in spite of taking a scary turn there at one point.

And today was just a beautiful day--just warm and sunny and cloudy enough.

once_upon

Voter
I'm grateful that my husband let's me sleep in and doesn't say anything.
Between not being able to sleep at night and being bored, sleeping in is heaven

JoannaLouise

Official Toaster Oven Monitor
I'm grateful for feeling good. I've been feeling... melancholy? just kind of down? for no specific reason. But I've actually felt reasonably happy for a few days now.

Also, today is my co-worker's dog's birthday, and she sent me the most freaking adorable picture I have ever seen. 😍

Everyone I work with knows how much I love animals. I have all my co-workers well-trained to send me frequent pictures, and to invite their pets to our meetings. :lol:

sk8pics

I'm grateful for feeling good. I've been feeling... melancholy? just kind of down? for no specific reason. But I've actually felt reasonably happy for a few days now.

Also, today is my co-worker's dog's birthday, and she sent me the most freaking adorable picture I have ever seen. 😍

Everyone I work with knows how much I love animals. I have all my co-workers well-trained to send me frequent pictures, and to invite their pets to our meetings. :lol:
That is a cute picture. I am trying to imagine my cat Bradley letting me dress him up like that. He might, because he is currently sporting a bandana and has worn a turtleneck. I can’t remember if we’re friends on Facebook or not, but if not you can follow his exploits on Instagram Bradley_the_cute_cat.

I’m grateful I got a walk in this morning before it got really hot.

Dobre

Talked to my best friend yesterday. It was good to chat with her, and I am also grateful that thus far, the ***** has stayed out of the rehabilitation center where she works. She says similar facilities all around have had cases. Her husband is able to work from home, and she & he are both being super careful so she will not accidentally take the disease back with her to work. Still, if anyone has positive thoughts to spare, I'm sure she could use them.

Prancer

Needs More Sleep
Staff member
I am grateful that everyone has agreed that long Zoom classes are counterproductive and that I don't have to lecture for two hours at a stretch.

Not that I can't do that with both hands tied behind my back, but it does get very old for the students.

Lizziebeth

Another gorgeous summer day coming up. Last night it rained so I don't have to use hoses to water everything!!

skatingguy

Golden Team
I'm grateful for summer heat - finally getting some days where it feels like walking into sauna when you step outside.

Dobre

Saw a friend, my neighbor kitty, today. He is a loyal visitor. (Sometimes in the dead of winter when I am totally exhausted & late getting home, he will be there outside my garage in the snow to greet me & say, "Hello.") After I moved to my parents house to work due to YKW, I didn't see him for a couple months, despite visits home to water the lawn. I decided to try talking while I hooked up the sprinkler on the trees between my place & the neighbor's on Wednesday in case he might hear me. Sure enough, he appeared from the Land of the Lost. And today he was on my porch when I left.

As far as breaking YKW health advice, he is my weakness. Some people need to go to church. Some need to eat take out. Some need the beach. I need to pet my neighbor kitty. Washing hands after petting him is 100% normal for me anyway. He has a nasty tendency to lose most of his fur sometime between late fall and mid-spring. We became friends one year when he showed up, half naked, on my first day of weeding the garden one spring. I had gloves on so I gave in & petted the poor fellow. We have been friends ever since. Happily, he has kept his fur coat this year; but I am still always very careful about washing my hands after petting him because mange is supposedly very contagious & I don't want my house kitty to get it. Anyway, neighbor kitty has a full coat of fur right now and was most appreciative of tummy rubs.

quartz

almost, but not quite
Everyday luxuries - lavender bubble bath, Chardonnay, spiced gouda, a cozy little home, Sennheiser headphones, listening to old-school prog late at night.

sk8pics

As far as breaking YKW health advice, he is my weakness. Some people need to go to church. Some need to eat take out. Some need the beach. I need to pet my neighbor kitty. Washing hands after petting him is 100% normal for me anyway.
That’s nice you were able to see him again. Maybe you do this, but you really should wash your hands before petting him, too, just to be on the safe side, since he sometimes has issues with mange and who knows what else.

Bradley is immunocompromised, and so I always wash my hands when I come in before I pet him. I’m still so grateful for his company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information