Cyber security agencies in Canada, the United States, and the United Kingdom are alleging that Russia is trying to steal information from researchers

caseyedwards

If they weren’t invited to help, or anyone isn’t invited to help be on the front line, stealing will be common

MacMadame

Staying at home
The way we are going about finding a vaccine seems pretty weird to me. Is this normal? Because what I would expect to happen is that some global organization such as the WHO or the UN would coordinate an effort where all the world's scientists would work together on a handful of approaches. If that was how it would work, then there would be no need to try to steal anyone else's work as you'd already have it.

skatingguy

Golden Team
The way we are going about finding a vaccine seems pretty weird to me. Is this normal? Because what I would expect to happen is that some global organization such as the WHO or the UN would coordinate an effort where all the world's scientists would work together on a handful of approaches. If that was how it would work, then there would be no need to try to steal anyone else's work as you'd already have it.
I think that WHO & the UN will coordinate distribution of the vaccine, particularly to the developing world, but that development will happen with different teams pursuing their best lines of research towards a common goal. I think what's different this time is that so many vaccines are in development at the same time.

skatingguy

Golden Team
Yes, that is what I find so weird. Wouldn't it be better to pool resources more?
Under normal circumstances I would say yes, because people would be working at cross-purposes for limited resources, but in these circumstances resources are not a limiting factor, and the more successful vaccines the easier it will be manufacture, and distribute them when the time comes.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I saw this on Trudeau's fb today:

I can't access the WP article he shares but my impression is some countries are working together.

eta... It doesn't seem to link directly but it's the post that starts with the sentence "Vaccines save lives". I also get the impression (based on limited info) they are worried some entities are trying to win the race to a vaccine with plans to profit from it and control access.

MacMadame

Staying at home
I can't access the WP article he shares but my impression is some countries are working together.
There is definitely some pooling. But aren't there also something like 100 vaccine trials being worked on? That seems excessive to me.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
There is definitely some pooling. But aren't there also something like 100 vaccine trials being worked on? That seems excessive to me.

Or just a sign of the urgency? Use all the resources/labs you can?

SkateSand

Cat Servant

NinjaTurtles

No lamb chop, so don’t you fork my peas
There are ~100 in pre-clinical testing, but <30 in controlled trials. The overall probability of success/approval is <40% in the vaccine therapeutic area. It’s not as excessive as it seems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information