Crossing meds over the border

pat c

On Wednesday, U.S. President Donald Trump's administration said it would create a system to allow Americans to import cheaper Canadian drugs legally. The policy change would reverse previous decisions by past administrations by allowing American states and pharmacies to buy more affordable medicines north of the border. Washington offered no estimate of when this new policy would start.

I am not a happy camper. Stay home put the pressure on your pharmas to drop the price of US medicine. Your population is 10x ours, and our pharmas aren't at present capable of producing that many drugs w/o problems here. I am really po'd. I feel for all the us citizens who can't afford your pharma prices. But your govt has a solution, drop the drug prices. Your jerk of a president keeps saying MAGA...........well go for it.:angryfire:angryfire:angryfire

pat c

I can understand your thinking - Trump is trying to pander to those angry about drug prices yet keep good with big pharma. Unfortunately, it just might work.

Oh this could get ugly so fast. One thing the Cdn govt could do is you can only buy scrips if you're a cdn citizen. End of cheap drugs being sent south. That could mean any snowbirds living south of the 49th, wouldn't be able to get their scrips sent to them.

Unfortunately, @once_upon things like this create hard feelings. Trump is certainly at the top of his class in this category.

rvi5

The US drug companies will fight these changes. If they fail, the Canadian government will eventually be forced to implement restrictions on drug exports. As already noted, Canada’s drug supply is not large enough to also support the 10X larger US population. At that point, Trump will likely blame Canada, while pretending he tried to help the US public/voters. He only needs to keep up the charade until the next US election. He will either be voted in or out. In either case, he will cease caring.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I'm confused about who can buy drugs from Canada. Is it anyone or is it only a medical business like a pharmacy?

If it's a pharmacy, then I think that the manufacturers would be able to react to demand because it would be a knowable demand. I mean, don't sign a contract to provide CVS with x number of pills if you can't make X number of pills.

Though if they can sell them to the US for more than they can sell them in Canada (but less than US manufacturers), that will cause problems.

pat c

When she was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 20 years ago, Nystrom said, the price of insulin was around US$16 for a vial. Now it costs US$340 — roughly 10 times the price in Canada.

Insulin in Canada is a non prescription drug.

manhn

I know NOTHING about this but have a question. Don’t you need a prescription from the doctor? Can a Canadian pharmacist rely on an American doctor? Has a Canadian ever gotten their prescription in the US?

Or are we talking about over the counter stuff? Is Tylenol cheaper in Canada?

once_upon

Enough
I know NOTHING about this but have a question. Don’t you need a prescription from the doctor? Can a Canadian pharmacist rely on an American doctor? Has a Canadian ever gotten their prescription in the US?

Or are we talking about over the counter stuff? Is Tylenol cheaper in Canada?
I got one prescription years ago from Canada. My dr wrote the scrip, told me not to tell her I was getting it from Canada (even though she helped me), because she would have to report me. The med I got was $68 vs $600+. And the insurance company was denying me the drug because it was not a recommended drug for the DRG.
Fortunately after 3 months, my husband's company changed insurance providers and it was covered again.

Japanfan

Oh this could get ugly so fast. One thing the Cdn govt could do is you can only buy scrips if you're a cdn citizen.

That would never work. Certain drugs can only be prescribed for certain amounts, for a certain time period. For example, a doctor would be unlikely to an opioid or strong pain killer for several months to a person who was traveling. It's not allowed in Canada, and similar regulations exist elsewhere. So, travelers to Canada from abroad may need to get prescriptions filled here.

Americans have been getting drugs from Canada for years, nothing new about it. But I would think that many/most Americans wouldn't be able to figure out how to set that up.

The US drug companies will fight these changes. If they fail, the Canadian government will eventually be forced to implement restrictions on drug exports. As already noted, Canada’s drug supply is not large enough to also support the 10X larger US population.

This.

antmanb

How is Canada/US set up in terms of allowing import/export of trade marked products?

In the EU, for example if a trade mark owner puts their product on the market for sale it can legally be sold anywhere in the EU because of the agreements between member states to allow free movement of goods/services. But if a trade mark owner puts their product on the market outside the EU and does not consent for it to be imported into the EU then anyone who does is infringing that owner's trade mark.

I would expect Pharmaceutical companies to be on top of that immediately if trade marked drugs they put on the Canadian market were suddenly being exported to the US without their consent.

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races

Americans have been getting drugs from Canada for years, nothing new about it. But I would think that many/most Americans wouldn't be able to figure out how to set that up.

It is not hard. You get your doctor to write you a paper prescription. You then scan it and send it to the overseas pharmacy.

If you want it to be specifically a Canadian pharmacy, you have to do your research, because quite a few internet pharmacies have Canadian addresses, but are not really Canadian.

pat c

That would never work. Certain drugs can only be prescribed for certain amounts, for a certain time period. For example, a doctor would be unlikely to an opioid or strong pain killer for several months to a person who was traveling. It's not allowed in Canada, and similar regulations exist elsewhere. So, travelers to Canada from abroad may need to get prescriptions filled here.

True, but there would be ways to tighten the loopholes.

(opinion piece)

If you do a search there are a lot of links on how to buy, why you do, why the US hasn't changed it's laws, etc etc......

once_upon

Enough
Like I posted, it wasn't that hard to do mail order drug fill from Canada.

What was interesting to me was I could get the generic med in Canada (which also made the med less expensive). When I could get it in the US because of different insurance i had to get name brand for two more years until patent ran its course and generic was available

Pharma has deep pockets and will determine if Trump can actually make it happen. And Canada will also block these efforts.

jeffisjeff

On Wednesday, U.S. President Donald Trump's administration said it would create a system to allow Americans to import cheaper Canadian drugs legally. The policy change would reverse previous decisions by past administrations by allowing American states and pharmacies to buy more affordable medicines north of the border. Washington offered no estimate of when this new policy would start.

Sorry, but that article is really not informative. Here is one with more specific information. Some quotes:

However, it will likely take a while before cheaper medications make their way into patients' hands, if it ever happens at all. Both Health & Human Services Secretary Alex Azar and acting Food and Drug Administration Commissioner Ned Sharpless noted hurdles lie ahead.
Under one scenario, states, pharmacists or drug wholesalers could submit plans to the agency for test projects on how they would import drugs approved by Health Canada. But the method also sets up many restrictions, including saying the tests would be limited in time and require regular reporting to ensure safety and costs are being met.

Insulin, however, cannot be imported from Canada, likely disappointing diabetics, some of whom have to travel north to purchase the costly, lifesaving medicine there.

The second pathway would allow manufacturers to import lower-cost versions of the drugs that they sell in foreign countries. Agency officials said drug makers are interested in doing this but have not been able to because of contracts with other players in the supply chain.

In the proposal, HHS puts the burden on states and manufacturers to convince it that importing drugs would be safe for consumers and save them money. For instance, it would be up to states to negotiate with Canadian authorities to allow their drugs to be sent to the US, said Azar.

"It is a plan to make a plan," said Rachel Sachs, an associate law professor at Washington University
Some experts, however, say importation is unlikely to ever happen. HHS' move is likely a "bluff" to get drug manufacturers to lower their prices in the US, said Gerard Anderson, a health policy professor at Johns Hopkins University, who is working with the city of Philadelphia to try to get the agency to approve the city naloxone from the United Kingdom to treat overdoses.

Note that, according to the article, Insulin cannot be imported legally from Canada. I am not sure why the CBC article chose to highlight (in large font) a quote implying that it could be. :confused:

Like many things Trump does, this is a gimmick (quoting Trump's own HHS secretary :lol: ) that is meant to solve a real problem (high drug prices in the US). As usual, Trump has no understanding of the real underlying causes of the problem and instead goes looking for a quick (and easy for him to understand) solution. This article makes clear that any real, large-scale changes to drug imports from Canada are still far from guaranteed, for a variety of reasons.

pat c

Insulin is a prescription drug in Canada, for non-diabetics taking insulin can kill you.

I was quoting the article. Insulin is prescription but I know if you're travelling in Canada and run out you can easily get it if needed.

Right now I agree, it's all about the next US election. One article I read this morning, mentioned that the drug problem has been ongoing since 1990 and that no US president has ever really changed anything, but has certainly campaigned on reducing drug prices. Trump is campaigning. The sad side effect of this is, before everyone turned a blind eye on it, he's shone a spotlight on it.

Last edited:

rvi5

Insulin is a prescription drug in Canada, for non-diabetics taking insulin can kill you.
Insulin is a schedule 2 drug, so the rules are not as strict...

rvi5

What was interesting to me was I could get the generic med in Canada (which also made the med less expensive). When I could get it in the US because of different insurance i had to get name brand for two more years until patent ran its course and generic was available

The patent drug recognition period in Canada was shorter, allowing for generic and bio-similar drug production. At the US’ insistence, the new NAFTA includes terms requiring Canada to extend the patent drug recognition period. More money for the US drug companies, less money for the Canadian generic drug industry, higher prices for Canadians and Americans hoping to get cheaper generic drugs in Canada sooner.

ETA: If Trump was concerned about high drug prices for Americans, shouldn’t he have reduced the US drug patent period to match Canada? Instead, his government focused on using NAFTA to extend it in Canada. It demonstrates where Trumps true loyalties lay. ie. with the drug companies.

Last edited:

Jay42

Between the click of the light
The store I work at has a pharmacy and I’m friends with a bunch of the pharmacists and pharmacy techs and they’re all pissed. Canada’s been having drug shortage issues for at least a couple of years now. This is only going to exacerbate the issue.

As we live in the middle of nowhere, Alberta as well it’ll hit us faster too. I can only imagine how bad it would be for even smaller communities.

once_upon

Enough
Trump's bandstanding has gotten some of his base on board with him for fixing the issue and allowing drugs from Canada stuff. At least from the Facebook posts I see.
Now, if there are shortages or Canadian laws past to stop it, Trump can blame Trudeau and say he is going to slap tarrifs to make them pay.
How I hate the base who are not able to sniff out a scam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information