Countdown to Earth Day - Environmental Issues

ballettmaus

I heard a German radio interview with a professor earlier and he said that for the first time renewable energy factories are built without financial aide from the government because it's gotten cheaper than building a coal factory.
He also said that Germany would have to block renewable energy if they really want to keep coal alive until 2038 and that the technology is there now, all that's needed is for the leadership to sign off on it and we can turn energy around in Germany.

On an interesting side note he mentioned that Saudi Arabia is using more and more solar energy for their country's energy supply and selling the oil to other countries at high prices because they realized that that's how they make the most money.

clairecloutier

A lawyer set himself on fire to protest climate change. Did anyone care?
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/apr/15/david-buckel-lawyer-climate-change-protest

I wasn't sure what thread to put this link in. But it's related to climate change, so I put it here.

About a year ago, a lawyer named David Buckel committed suicide by setting himself on fire in NYC. His suicide note said he was sacrificing himself for climate change, to draw attention to the issue and spark action. The article sets the context of his action in the tradition of self-immolation and protest suicides over political issues.

A year later, the article looks at his life, his death, and what it all meant. It is a pretty sobering read, but I was glad to see that someone had followed up on his story. I remember when his death was reported, I felt deeply shocked & disturbed by it, and wondered what went into the decision, and had not forgotten about it since then.

Sylvia

Wishing I could go back to the Lake Placid JGP
Swedish teen climate activist Greta Thunberg joins London protest as arrests top 830: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-protests-climate-change/swedish-teen-climate-activist-joins-london-protest-as-arrests-top-830-idUSKCN1RX0OL
“We are the ones making a difference - we the people in Extinction Rebellion and the children’s School Strike for the Climate - we are the ones making a difference,” she told cheering crowds.
“And we will never stop fighting, we will never stop fighting for this planet, for ourselves, our futures and for the futures of our children and grandchildren.”
Thunberg inspired a movement of children against global warming when she took a stand in front of Stockholm’s Parliament House last August with her “school strike for climate” sign.
Thousands of students around the world have since copied her, and the schoolgirl took her campaign to European leaders in Strasbourg on Tuesday and to the Vatican, where she met Pope Francis, on Wednesday.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Medvedeva, T&M, Shibs, P&C
Just in time for Lent. Join the movement. It's almost Earth Day.

*** Life Without Plastic Is Possible. It’s Just Very Hard :
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/16/style/plastic-free-living.html

*** Life without plastic: pioneer families show how it’s done :
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/dec/29/how-to-live-without-plastic
I saw that in India (the states I visited last year) users of plastic bags are punished with fines. People bring their own cloth bags. If you don’t have your own bag, the merchandise you buy is handed to you is in bags that are made of something other than plastic. It feels like cloth and I love the bags but I don’t know what material is being used. It is definitely not plastic. I have saved two of those bags, but they are too small to use for groceries. I did get a big one when I bought bigger items.

I use and reuse the grocery bags they sell here in stores. I also reuse empty water bottles multiple times. Here in Arizona they are using plastic bags. I don’t mind it because they provide linings for trash containers. I am not sure how we can keep them clean without the liners. Wash them?

Japanfan

I don’t mind it because they provide linings for trash containers. I am not sure how we can keep them clean without the liners. Wash them?
Sounds messy and foul. Given the greasy and messy substances that end up in the garbage, non-plastic liners would probably have to be soaked first, before going into the washing machine.

We recycle everything we can and as a result, less goes into the trash bin.

Also, I'm sure there must be a suitable non-plastic trash bag on the market. If there isn't, I expect there will be soon.

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
Interesting story. It sunk 8 feet in 10 years :eek:

The city sits on the coast on swampy land, criss-crossed by 13 rivers.

Half of Jakarta is below sea level. One of the main causes of this is the extraction of groundwater which is used as drinking water and for bathing
"This" is I presume, the sinking.

ballettmaus

I just heard an interview with the mayor of Konstanz. He and the city council voted unanimously to declare a climate emergency. He said that he did so because of the conversations he's had with students of the Fridays for Future movement and because he knows that what they're doing, they're doing too slowly and this emergency declaration will change the city's priorities. :respec:
To start with, everyone who now has a proposal has to state how it affects the climate and/or if it's climate relevant and he has to give a bi-annual report on everything they're doing in regards to climate change.

Apparently, he's also gotten emails asking if he was nuts but he kind of shrugged them off :D

ballettmaus

@mag I thought it was better to address that here.

There is nothing inherently good about nature - in fact, nature is busy trying to kill us all!
I think that's unfair to nature. Nature is merely responding to what we are doing. We're kind of trying to kill ourselves.

mag

@mag I thought it was better to address that here.

I think that's unfair to nature. Nature is merely responding to what we are doing. We're kind of trying to kill ourselves.
Well yes, you are right in that regard. What I was referring to was the whole notion that because something is “natural” it must therefore be good and the best way to do things or the best solution to a problem. For example, people thinking that a natural herb is better than antibiotics because the former is natural and the latter is not. There are lots of natural things that will kill us pretty quickly - arsenic, poison dart frogs, various spiders and snakes, not to mention dozens of poisonous plants. Or that somehow sugar made from sugar cane is better for us than sugar made from sugar beets. That is simply ignorance and privilege speaking, not science. Our bodies in no way distinguish between C12H22O11 made from sugar beets and the same chemical when it comes from sugar cane. What I find quite hysterical, is that sugar cane is not as environmentally sustainable as sugar beets yet it is so often people who think they are being environmentally conscious who end up being fear mongered into poor environmental choices.

The natural fallacy has been used by the multi billion dollar organic industry, crazy mommy bloggers, woo peddlers, and the like to fear monger people into buying products and services they either don’t need or don’t need to pay as much for.

Back to my original context, there is so much pressure when one is pregnant to do things the “right” way, and guilt when people deviate. It is crazy and terribly unfair to parents.

topaz

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/may/06/cancertown-louisiana-reserve-history-slavery

In 2015 the Pontchartrain Works facility was found to be the primary cause of some of the most toxic air in America, according to US government findings. In the tract of land just behind the plant, residents in this mostly black and mostly poor town endure a risk of cancer due to air pollution that is the highest in the country and 50 times the national average. For almost five decades the plant had been owned by the chemicals giant DuPont, and has now become the only place in America to emit the chemical chloroprene, which is listed as likely to cause cancer.

topaz

Is Modern Life Poisoning Me? The answer is YES.

Wright tells me I have at least 36 chemicals in my body – phthalates, flame retardants and pesticides, as well as some phenols used in plastics and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons from air pollution.

I also have a metabolite from cigarette smoke, called cotinine. I don’t smoke and I’m rarely around smokers, but I did briefly visit relatives who were smoking two weeks before my test.

It’s remarkable to me that this could show up in my results.

“There’s no such thing as a ‘normal’ level for any of these chemicals,” Wright says.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
*** Carnival will pay $20 million after it was caught dumping trash into the ocean, again :
https://www.10tv.com/article/carnival-will-pay-20-million-after-it-was-caught-dumping-trash-ocean-again-2019-jun
Carnival Corp. reached a settlement Monday with federal prosecutors in which the world’s largest cruise line agreed to pay a $20 million penalty because its ships continued to pollute the oceans despite a previous criminal conviction aimed at curbing similar conduct. Senior U.S. District Judge Patricia Seitz approved the agreement after Carnival CEO Arnold Donald stood up in open court and admitted the company’s responsibility for probation violations stemming from the previous environmental case.
Carnival admitted violating terms of probation from a 2016 criminal conviction for discharging oily waste from its Princess Cruise Lines ships and covering it up. Carnival paid a $40 million fine and was put on five years’ probation in that case, which affected all nine of its cruise brands that boast more than 100 ships. Now Carnival has acknowledged that in the years since its ships have committed environmental crimes such as dumping “gray water” in prohibited places such Alaska’s Glacier Bay National Park and knowingly allowing plastic to be discharged along with food waste in the Bahamas, which poses a severe threat to marine life. The company also admitted falsifying compliance documents and other administrative violations such as having cleanup teams visit its ships just before scheduled inspections.
Court approved solution to the problem - Pay $20 million (for their business this is the equivalent of one of us getting a parking ticket) and self monitored improvements. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
“Time and time again, Carnival has shown its contempt of environmental laws and the rule of law,” he said. “Here we are again.”
So just over the past few months, there has been the trashing of the national parks, the trashing of Virginia Beach, and now, among other things, more manipulation by Carnival so they can continue to trash the oceans. All of this supported by American tourism.

I wish more people would speak out about the indecency of those who contribute to this problem, but I guess they don't want to ruin their cruise ship adventures or pay the extra cost for eco-trips. And of course, according to Kathie Lee, keeping up with the Joneses certainly takes priority over reducing waste and picking up your trash.
:sheep:
"If they could see you now … Out on a fun ship cruise … Eating fancy food and doing what you choose … I'd like your friends back home to get a good look … at the first rate Carnival Cruise that you took … All I can say is WOW! Hey look at where you are … tonight you're living POW! Just like a movie star … What a fun ship HOLY COW! They'd never believe it … If your friends could see you now"

ballettmaus

Any cruise ship that is caught dumping trash into the ocean should be suspended in addition to a hefty fine. A month for a first offense, a year for a second and permanently for the third. And they should be required to remburse customers the full price that everyone paid and pay the ports where they were scheduled to dock, too, because of last-minute cancellations or something. A very generous donation going to ocean clean-up wouldn't hurt either.

topaz

In Southeastern WI, we didn't have a true snowfall until January. After January, the winter was brutal. Bitterly cold for days. We had snow a few days in April, late April. We've had a few days over 70 degress in May but also days where the temps were in the 50s.

I think we'll have an cool summer.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
topaz, this week has been like early spring here, and there was an earthquake in Cleveland yesterday. I guess we need to get ready for it.

This week's Animal Abuse Watch ---

*** Names released of 3 charged in Fair Oaks Farms animal abuse case :
Three people have been charged with animal cruelty after the release of video showing workers kicking and throwing young calves at Fair Oaks Farms, a northwest Indiana dairy farm that's an agritourism destination. … ...​

Located about 80 miles southeast of Chicago, Fair Oaks was established in 2004 by Mike and Sue McCloskey to be a place where people could learn more about where their food comes from. A working dairy with some 35,000 cows, it has been compared to a Disneyland theme park with tours like Dairy Adventure, where families and school groups can witness the “fun-filled life of a cow.”
Couto, who worked as a real estate developer before founding Animal Recovery Mission nine years ago to investigate animal cruelty, said the responses from the companies fall short. He is calling for the McCloskeys to commit to keeping newborn calves with their mothers and to stop sending male calves to the veal market. McCloskey, in a statement last week, said he wasn’t aware Fair Oaks calves were being sent to veal slaughterhouses, and promised to halt the practice. Midwest Veal issued a statement last week that said 4% percent of its calves came from Fair Oaks.

Couto said taking calves from their mothers is the core issue leading to the beatings. He said the babies decline to suckle from artificial nipples and workers get frustrated. In addition, many calves die of malnutrition because they don’t eat, he said.

*** American hunter in viral photo of slain giraffe is "proud to hunt" :
"It's a hobby, it's something that I love to do," she said. Talley said that the controversial kill was part of a conservation hunt, designed to manage the amount of wildlife in a given area. "I am proud to hunt," she said. "And I am proud of that giraffe." In an interview with CBS News' Adam Yamaguchi, Talley said that she's made decorative pillows and a gun case out of the slain giraffe, which she described as "delicious."

:rolleyes:

In a statement to CBS News, Kitty Block, president and CEO of the Humane Society of the United States and Humane Society International, said:
"Trophy hunting of giraffe shows sheer and arrogant disregard for the imperiled status of an iconic species. A 2015 estimate found that fewer than 100,000 giraffes remain in the wild in Africa, and our 2018 investigation revealed that nearly 4,000 giraffe-derived trophies were imported into the U.S. over the last decade. More than one giraffe is killed every day. There has been an overall population decline of 40 percent over the last 30 years. This is why we are pressing the United States Fish and Wildlife Service to grant our legal petition to protect the giraffe under the Endangered Species Act, and advocating for a proposal to strengthen protections for the giraffe under CITES, the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora. Giraffes are facing a myriad of threats including poaching and habitat fragmentation. Their dire conservation status should not be further compounded by the horror of trophy hunters bent on killing them for senseless and gruesome trophies."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)