Concentration camps for gay men in Chechnya

allezfred

#EpidemiologistsNotEconomists
Staff member
Over 100 people allegedly sent to 'concentration camps' for gay men in Chechnya

Over 100 gay men have been sent to concentration camps for homosexuals in Chechnya and three people have been killed, a new report has claimed.

Russian newspaper Novaya Gazeta and human rights activists allege that anyone authorities suspect are gay is rounded up and sent to these camps, where inmates are reportedly tortured.

A spokesman for Chechnya’s leader Ramzan Kadyrov denied the allegations, claiming that gay people don't exist in the region.

Alvi Karimov told Interfax news agency: "You cannot detain and persecute people who simply do not exist in the republic.
This is why we have Pride parades @AxelAnnie

Nomad

Celebrity cheese-monger
Goodness. This hurts my heart.
I would like to ask A$$hole Annie how she'd feel if she'd been pummeled by four jocks in a locker room and had her head shoved into a toilet.

Spun Silver

So far, all the condemnations are of @AxelAnnie who has absolutely nothing to do with this. Not a word against the Chechnyan government which is doing this (unless somehow Moscow is pulling the strings).

PI is a cesspool.

allezfred

Staff member
So far, all the condemnations are of @AxelAnnie who has absolutely nothing to do with this. Not a word against the Chechnyan government which is doing this (unless somehow Moscow is pulling the strings).

PI is a cesspool.
I don't think the Chechnyan government reads the "cesspool" of PI. :p

@AxelAnnie on the other hand needs to read this to learn what LGBT people face in the wider world. We are giving her an education on why we have Pride.

While we are mentioning condemnations, I haven't seen you in the Anti-Semitism thread lately. Wonder why...:shuffle:

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
I've seen a lot of pictures of Yana, Plushy's wife partying with Kadyrov and his family.

FiveRinger

Why is everyone beating up on @AxelAnnie? I'm curious....if you have a problem with her posts, the ignore button is available for your use. I'm not being facetious when I ask what did she do to incur everyone's wrath? I'm asking a serious question.

Last edited:

Spun Silver

I don't think the Chechnyan government reads the "cesspool" of PI. :p

@AxelAnnie on the other hand needs to read this to learn what LGBT people face in the wider world. We are giving her an education on why we have Pride.

While we are mentioning condemnations, I haven't seen you in the Anti-Semitism thread lately. Wonder why...:shuffle:
There is no justification for bullying a decent member of this forum (FSU, not PI), especially on the first night of Passover. She has nothing to do with Chechnya, Russia or the persecution of gays. God knows what kind of twisted logic you are using to justify "teaching her a lesson" (classic bully phrase, btw).

As to why you havent seen me in the other thread - well, put it this way: if you had a choice between pursuing useful, necessary and pleasant activities and attempting fruitless dialogues with PC totalitarians who pile on and insult you for expressing dissident political views, which would you choose? Actually, that's a rhetorical question.
I just popped into this thread because it was the first mention of this matter I've seen.

oleada

This is absolutely horrific :( just no words.

Why is everyone beating up on @AxelAnnie? I'm curious....if you have a problem with her posts, the ignore button is available for your use. I'm not being facetious when I ask what did she do to incur everyone's wrath? I'm asking a serious question.
History of homophobic posts (most rec early in the Barry Manilow thread). Allezfred as a mod can't put anyone on ignore.

Last edited:

attyfan

Wasn't there some kind of violence between Russia and Chechnya? This is horrible, if true, but I wonder how accurate the Russian press might be on the matter (which includes that alleged quote about no gays in Chechnya).

allezfred

Staff member
There is no justification for bullying a decent member of this forum (FSU, not PI), especially on the first night of Passover. She has nothing to do with Chechnya, Russia or the persecution of gays. God knows what kind of twisted logic you are using to justify "teaching her a lesson" (classic bully phrase, btw).

As to why you havent seen me in the other thread - well, put it this way: if you had a choice between pursuing useful, necessary and pleasant activities and attempting fruitless dialogues with PC totalitarians who pile on and insult you for expressing dissident political views, which would you choose? Actually, that's a rhetorical question.
I just popped into this thread because it was the first mention of this matter I've seen.
If drawing someone's attention to why gay people march in Pride parades is bullying, then so be it. It's what happens when you post dumb shit like AxelAnnie did in the Barry Manilow thread.

As for you, the self-proclaimed Alexander Solzhenitsyn of FSU :p, you need to grow up and quit your "I have better things to be doing" flouncing off when you are called on your bullshit.

You may be in the minority on FSU, but some of us have been in the minority in the real world our whole lives and have had to deal with a lot more than someone disagreeing with what we write online. You are being presented with opinions you do not agree with. That's not bullying.

Spun Silver

Such BS re @AxelAnnie. She differs with you on tactics, therefore she is a bigot. No wonder you guys keep losing elections.

As for me: self-proclaimed Solzhenitsyn is your fantasy talking. I would never compare myself to such a giant. All I did was stand up for despised Christians and Jews who dont fit into your hierarchy of oppresssion. What I have encountered in PI is beyond being presented with alternative points of view. I get outright slander and hate speech for contesting leftist dogmas. I know it is hard for you to understand, but it would be well for you to try: there really are better and more important things in life than arguing with a crowd of anonymous internet bullies.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
There is no justification for bullying [sic] a decent member of this forum (FSU, not PI), especially on the first night of Passover.
:drama:
I'm sorry, this just made me laugh. Why would any religious holiday exempt someone on a secular board from disagreement and feedback on their words? Decent members of this board are sick of being told that coming out, aka being ourselves, is distasteful.

(and I am also not allowed to have her, or anyone, on ignore)

Spun Silver

:drama:
I'm sorry, this just made me laugh. Why would any religious holiday exempt someone on a secular board from disagreement and feedback on their words? Decent members of this board are sick of being told that coming out, aka being ourselves, is distasteful.

(and I am also not allowed to have her, or anyone, on ignore)
People here attacked a US Jew for Chechnyan concentration camps on the first night of Passover. You really dont get how sick that is? I thought you guys prided yourselves on cultural sensitivity. Apparently that doesnt apply to observant Jews and Christians. "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others." (Orwell) You guys should get that engraved on your charm bracelets.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
I didn't see anyone saying that concentration camps are anything but horrific.

allezfred

Staff member
Such BS re @AxelAnnie. She differs with you on tactics, therefore she is a bigot. No wonder you guys keep losing elections.
If "us guys" (although not sure how you know if I have voted for the losing side or not in Irish elections :p ) had followed AxelAnnie's tactics of "don't ask don't tell" there would be no marriage equality.

Someone on a friggin figure skating message board doesn't believe that I or other gay people deserve the same civil rights as everyone else. That is a little more than a difference in tactics, particularly given the fact that AxelAnnie's tactic would result in gay people disappearing from public life.

Frau Muller

Everything is beautiful at the ballet!

As for me: self-proclaimed Solzhenitsyn is your fantasy talking. I would never compare myself to such a giant. All I did was stand up for despised Christians and Jews who dont fit into your hierarchy of oppresssion. What I have encountered in PI is beyond being presented with alternative points of view. I get outright slander and hate speech for contesting leftist dogmas. I know it is hard for you to understand, but it would be well for you to try: there really are better and more important things in life than arguing with a crowd of anonymous internet bullies.
Wow, bless you, Spun Silver, for lending some balance to discussions. Bullies can only bully if allowed. No wonder that figure skating and ballet are both losing huge swaths of the US public. (For ex, the Kennedy Center here in DC, has tried, in last 2years, to inject a heavy-PC tinge to its ballet series, de-emphasizing traditional-European tutu-tiara ballets, in favor of companies of "color" hip-hop, etc. Traditional glamour is gone.)

Make Figure Skating and Ballet Great Again!

Back to topic: As disgusting as the camps sound, we have to think of the country/culture in which they happen. So is multi-culturalism ok only if other cultures prescribe to your own liberal agendas? Who is the most intolerant?

oleada

It's not bullying to have different opinions, or to call people out on their intolerance. Spare me the "liberals are intolerant of my intolerant beliefs!" BS :rolleyes:

Back to topic: As disgusting as the camps sound, we have to think of the country/culture in which they happen. So is multi-culturalism ok only if other cultures prescribe to your own liberal agendas? Who is the most intolerant?
You are a truly despicable human being.

Last edited:

allezfred

Staff member
Not today, Satan. Not today.

Nomad

Celebrity cheese-monger
I'd say you're intolerant, Frau. What a sad, sorry, POS person you are.

Skittl1321

It is so sick that this is happening. It seems to make it even worse that there are people on the board who seem to think it is reasonable because of the culture. In no world should this be okay.

babayaga

Wasn't there some kind of violence between Russia and Chechnya? This is horrible, if true, but I wonder how accurate the Russian press might be on the matter (which includes that alleged quote about no gays in Chechnya).
It is hard to tell what exactly is happening is Chechnya, it is extremely closed. On the other hand, Russian newspapers will not be publishing dirty articles on Kadyrov without his consent, so my guess is that he is OK with this news being published, whether it is true or not. Also, remember that Russia has a state law prohibiting "gay propaganda", whatever this might mean. It is scary, but entirely possible, that they are trying this kind of news to test Russian public opinion to see if they can move in that direction on the Russian "main land".

text_skate

here is the original article from Novaya Gazeta (in Russian):
https://www.novayagazeta.ru/articles/2017/04/01/71983-ubiystvo-chesti
and follow-up
https://www.novayagazeta.ru/article...ad-chechenskimi-geyami-publikuem-svidetelstva

It's a very reliable newspaper.

Edit: Anna Politkovskaya, a journalist who was murdered in 2006, worked at Novaya Gazeta. She did a lot of reporting on Chechnya for this newspaper. Her murder remains unsolved up to day (Wikipedia). The newspaper has a long tradition on reporting on Chechnya.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information