China

Dobre

In the US, we are likely to hear only about history we participated in.
Interestingly, I went through an entire year of a small local newspaper from 1904, and the Russo-Japanese War was the major story, on the front page over an extended period of time. (It also covered strikes in Poland and the Russian Revolution of that era). World news used to dominate U.S. press coverage even in very small towns.

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
That was then, this is now.

In the days before radio, newspapers were the only source for news, whether local or world wide. And then commercial radio arrived in the 1920's and the commercial TV. I wonder how the amount of world coverage in small newspapers changed from the 1920's to the 1960's to today!

Dai's Blues for Klook

genegri

Seventy three years free from foreign control. Happy Birthday! China!

《义勇军进行曲》

起来!不愿做奴隶的人们!

把我们的血肉,筑成我们新的长城!

中华民族到了最危险的时候,

每个人被迫着发出最后的吼声。

起来!起来!起来!

我们万众一心,冒着敌人的炮火,

前进!

冒着敌人的炮火,

前进!前进!前进!进!

genegri

And the resident west supremists will deal. It's no longer 1840, or 1984. :D

Not to mention avenge for WW2 if deemed necessary. 😎😇

Last edited:

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Staff member
And residential west supremists will deal. It's no longer 1840, or 1984. :D
I come from a neutral country and one that was a former colony of the same empire as Hong Kong was until 1998. The difference between us and Hong Kong is that we don't want to go back to living under that former colonial power. Says a lot about how bad the last 24 years have been for the people of Hong Kong that they do. :shuffle:

genegri

I come from a neutral country and one that was a former colony of the same empire as Hong Kong was until 1998. The difference between us and Hong Kong is that we don't want to go back to living under that former colonial power. Says a lot about how bad the last 24 years have been for the people of Hong Kong that they do. :shuffle:
Bad because their perceived privilege based on proxomity to a west colonizer is no longer holding up. Good.

Dai's Blues for Klook

I'm not too sure where allezfred got that thing about how people of Hong Kong want to be part of the UK again (obviously some people do), but anyway. I think the "past 24 years" comment misunderstands how democratic awareness develops in a former colony, or how China DID boost wealth in Hong Kong and some policies DID help. Of course, some Hong Kongers are for the one-China policy. No one should be denying the past few years either though, or the other stuff the mainland "government" does.

I really wish someone from HK will come in say and something because I don't think we're going to get any relevant opinion on here, though, but I think I only know one FSUer who's from there, and I can see why they might avoid the thread.

Last edited:

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Staff member
Well, 25-30% of your country never left and is still part of that colonial power :shuffle:
Northern Ireland is not part of the country I live in. There is no claim on its territory in the Irish constitution. We are not sabre rattling to say we will “liberate” it by force. It is up to the people of Northern Ireland what their future looks like.

Next. :yawn:

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Staff member
Isn’t it interesting though how our resident CCP propagandist keeps posting Chinese government propaganda posted on YouTube - a website that is blocked in China itself. :shuffle:

genegri

Isn't it funny the resident western supremacist doesn't speak Chinese, understands any in depth history or culture of China but acts like they know what China's policies should be?

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Staff member
Isn't it funny the resident western supremacist doesn't speak Chinese, understands any in depth history or culture of China but acts like they know what China's policies should be?
Am sure the numerous people on here who have called me anti-American will find it amusing that I am now being called a western supremacist. I certainly do. :rofl:

The problem with people like you and the MAGAs and the Brexiteers and the Putinistas etc is that you think you are patriots. But you are not. You are simple minded nationalists who have some rose coloured view of a so called glorious past that your country had that is never coming back. You can try and kid yourself that China has a benevolent interest in the global south when really what China is doing is exactly the same thing that the European colonialist powers did in the 19th century. It’s just using 21st century methods and language to achieve the same goals.

genegri

Am sure the numerous people on here who have called me anti-American will find it amusing that I am now being called a western supremacist. I certainly do. :rofl:

The problem with people like you and the MAGAs and the Brexiteers and the Putinistas etc is that you think you are patriots. But you are not. You are simple minded nationalists who have some rose coloured view of a so called glorious past that your country had that is never coming back. You can try and kid yourself that China has a benevolent interest in the global south when really what China is doing is exactly the same thing that the European colonialist powers did in the 19th century. It’s just using 21st century methods and language to achieve the same goals.
The problem is you simple mind know-it-all don't know anything about China but act like you know what China should do. The west was not and is not a benevolent power and west supremists like you have not changed since 18th century.

Last edited:

Dai's Blues for Klook

You are simple minded nationalists who have some rose coloured view of a so called glorious past that your country had that is never coming back.
Chinese nationalists don't have a rose-coloured view of the "glorious past" of their country...

This thread has decidedly little intellectual content, but I do hope people realize that Taiwan and Hong Kong vs China are not the same as Ukraine and Russia (funnily I think @Louis is one of the people who does realize it)... Of course a lot of us here don't wish the Mainland to forcibly impose its will onto Taiwan and HK, but the Taiwanese and Hong Kongers who support one-China (just as an example) aren't just brainwashed people. Some very much can argue for it.

(To extend that a bit, while I maintain that I'd support a sports ban if China uses force against Taiwan, we might need to prepare ourselves about it not happening.)

That wasn’t the point of my post.
'Course. Point from me was, why does it matter where @genegri fetches their propaganda from? We're not going to agree with it anyway.
The west was not and is not a benevolent power and west supremists like you have not changed since 18th century.
This is an example of something I agree with when it comes to the Chinese criticisms of the West. The name-calling some westerners resort to when it comes to foreigners or even their own people when they disagree with someone's different cultural interpretation is rather ugly and forever will be. Literally doesn't seem to have changed since the 18th century. "Agree with me or you're a savage"...

I also don't think you posting a celebration video of your national day needed to be turned into this, for the record. I do feel sorry for it.

Last edited:

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Staff member
The problem is you simple mind know-it-all don't know anything about China but act like you know what China should do. The west was not and is not a benevolent power and west supremists like you have not changed since 18th century.
Again because it doesn’t seem to have gotten through to you - I don’t come from a country that was a colonial power. I come from a country that was colonised. Irish people know exactly what colonialist behaviour and rhetoric looks like.

The question for you and the CCP is that if you are so anti-colonialist and so confident that your way of doing things is best why are you unwilling to let the people of Taiwan decide by themselves if they want to be part of China or not?

genegri

Again because it doesn’t seem to have gotten through to you - I don’t come from a country that was a colonial power. I come from a country that was colonised. Irish people know exactly what colonialist behaviour and rhetoric looks like.

The question for you and the CCP is that if you are so anti-colonialist and so confident that your way of doing things is best why are you unwilling to let the people of Taiwan decide by themselves if they want to be part of China or not?
A westerner who thinks they know better than those in their own country, oh yes I spot a west supremist.

Taiwan was separated from China by colonizers and is propped up by foreign regime and taking it back is anti colonizing.

West supremists expect their world views to be universally obeyed but nah China won't allow it happen in China.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information