"Channel One Cup" Russian Team event (February 5-7)

Kathryn2001

Hey, as a consistent lurker but rare poster, can someone tell me about today's LPs, is there a Youtube someone can share for today's event, I guess with Ted commentating?? Thanks.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
I enjoyed that competition more than any of the last few years but also helped that my family picked teams so we were cheering against each other (I was team Med all the way). Trusova is still my most improved pick and my favourite is Kamila .. wow the Olympics are going to be amazing.

zoe111

Highlights of the day for me were:

1. Mark Kondratiok - wow. No words. Such an emotional reaction from everyone at the end. Hope he gets to worlds.
2. Mishina/Galiamov - i love T/M but i've decided this team are my favorites. Just nailed it all and it's interesting and fun to watch
3. Trusova - She was never a favorite (I'm a closet Usacheva fan) but her desire to up what she needs to and the courage to come back after the Lutz misses was nice to see since usually one mistake leads to more. Hopefully she's developing more mental fortitude and i've been really rooting for her this season.
4. Usacheva - shout out to Usacheva who, while she doesn't have the quads, has improved tremendously this last 12 months or so. I actually much prefer her skating to Valieva's as i just think she's a literally more naturally elegant and musical. She has nerves of steel to constantly have to go after the quad kids and still shine. She's got a huge 2A, so i'm hoping they are working on the 3A as well.

Missing Kostornaia and hope she's back soon.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Just watched the pairs LP. Wow! All three were great. I thought M&G would win but T&M won. They are the most refined pair. The judges are saying unless they make a major mistake, they are Russia’s number one. They have a lot of competition though.

Ka3sha

Press conference:
When asked about Ladies, Alina said that the teams were even and the draw was fair. Evgenia says that the ladies teams couldn't be equal simply because there are three top skaters and three near the top girls, so one team would have had an advantage anyway. She wished Aliona Kostornaia a quick recovery and added that if Aliona was here, the teams would have been more equal.
Both says that there could be some changes in the rules to make this event better in the future. Evgenia said that Eteri Tutberidze suggested a really great idea to have this event in 'Russia VS the World' format / or with international skaters, as it's not that fun to fight against each other. Both her and Alina have some crazy fans and it's not that great to put them against each other.
Evgenia is taking a break again because she has not yet recovered from corona and is again dealing with the aftermath. She also adds that they do not think of it as a defeat and she, personally, will give all the money she earned to charity. Alina retorts - 'But the Red Machine has won :p Thank you, Team Evgenia, for a great fight.'

Both smiled a take a picture together. Fin :)

Last edited:

skipaway

Evgenia said that Eteri Tutberidze suggested a really great idea to have this event in 'Russia VS the World' format / or with international skaters, as it's not that fun to fight against each other.
Maybe, as in golf, they can establish a “handicap” system so the teams can be more evenly matched in competition. ;)
From Wiki
A golf handicap is a numerical measure of a golfer's potential that is used to enable players of varying abilities to compete against one another. Better players are those with the lowest handicaps.
[/QUOTE]

Tinami Amori

So, who gets the keep the trophy?
I am pretty sure it will first go to Khrystalniy (Sambo-70) since the winning factor (Valieva, Shcherbakova, Usacheva) comes from there, as well as Khuda the Dancer... :). Perhaps it will be passed to other clubs each year.

The Russian commentator said that the trophy is made out of pure silver, with many natural rock crystals, and several gemstones from Ural mountains, one of them is a ruby.

Tinami Amori

Team Evgenia won the popular vote, but Team Alina won the Electoral College.
Not quite...... it was known in advance and discussed on Russian sites, that the "fan sympathy vote" will go to whoever loses, so they can get 3+1 million rubles, for 16 participants. The winning team got about $ 4,200 per person, and the losing team + sympathy vote money got 3+1 million rubles about $ 2,500 per person. These are top skaters, and this is a commercial event - so the organizers had to make sure everyone makes a decent amount of money.

zoe111

Press conference:
When asked about Ladies, Alina said that the teams were even and the draw was fair. Evgenia says that the ladies teams couldn't be equal simply because there are three top skaters and three near the top girls, so one team would have had an advantage anyway. She wished Aliona Kostornaia a quick recovery and added that if Aliona was here, the teams would have been more equal.
Both says that there could be some changes in the rules to make this event better in the future. Evgenia said that Eteri Tutberidze suggested a really great idea to have this event in 'Russia VS the World' format / or with international skaters, as it's not that fun to fight against each other. Both her and Alina have some crazy fans and it's not that great to put them against each other.
Evgenia is taking a break again because she has not yet recovered from ********* and is again dealing with the aftermath. She also adds that they do not think of it as a defeat and she, personally, will give all the money she earned to charity. Alina retorts - 'But the Red Machine has won :p Thank you, Team Evgenia, for a great fight.'

Both smiled a take a picture together. Fin :)
Not great to hear Evgenia is still struggling with ykw after effects. Sort of an odd comment from Alina - it was pretty darn clear that the ladies teams weren't even remotely close to equal and maybe not appropriate to retort on the winning vs. losing. It was a great competition and that's probably the best way to leave it.

Tinami Amori

It was a depressing press conf. Between a sour loser and a winner who can't master 3 words or a sentence...
Alina does fine with public speaking in her own style. She talks like a "girl next door" of her age, and many people love her for it, that she is not pretending to be "a fancy speaker".... She is "folkish" and it is not a problem, she still gets public appearance gigs because an average person relates to her.

mjb52

I feel badly for Med; she's been through a lot. She seems like an intense person, maybe she would rather be able to hide her disappointment but just can't. It's hard because you learn to do that with age, but these skaters are in the spotlight while they are still figuring it all out. Although hiding your feelings doesn't necessarily seem to be a big thing in Russia anyway, at least not the figure skating part of it! :)

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
DANCE FD
Stepanova/Bukin 134.20
Zagorski/Guerreiro 128.05
Skoptcova/Aleshin 123.34
Morozov/Bagin 123.27
Khudaberdieva/Bazin 123.09
Shevchenko/Eremenko 120.57

PAIRS FS
Tarasova/Morozov 158.45
Mishina/Galiamov 156.30
Boikova/Kozlovski 151.10
Pavliuchenko/Khodykin 143.58

MEN FS
Mark Kondratyuk 196.23
Mikhail Kolyada 195.02
Makar Ignatov 176.43
Andrei Mozalev 173.82
Dmitri Aliev 173.56
Alexander Samarin 166.04

LADIES FS
Kamila Valieva 179.19
Anna Shcherbakova 169.06
Alexandra Trusova 163.33
Daria Usacheva 155.04
Elizaveta Tuktamysheva 150.41
Maiia Khromykh 136.75

Tinami Amori

I feel badly for Med; she's been through a lot. She seems like an intense person, maybe she would rather be able to hide her disappointment but just can't.
I re-listened to the press-conference, listening to every word, not like i did the first time, listening and reading at the same time.

Alina did very good. She used everyday language, not fancy terms. She answered the questions directly. She was happy with the event overall, thought that the teams were pretty evenly arranged. She said that the Blue Team got 2 stronger men, Kolyada was unquestionable a top man, and the strongest dance leading dance team, S/B. I agree and will ad that also in pairs the Blue Team got 2 top teams B/K and M/G, while Red Team had P/H who clearly would come in behind the 3 teams.

Medvedeva, excuse my french, bitched and bitched, 3-4 questions in a row, "how unfair the draws were" and how she got a weaker team, because of girls. She used a lot of "indirect phrases" but basically it came down to "we were not treated fairly". On top of that she had a "sour puss" face and many posters (on the right of the video screen) kept saying, in one form or the other: "Zhenya you got to learn how to lose gracefully". Some said "she could never lose gracefully, remember the Olympics". One poster said in English, that Medvedeva is mean.

Merey Zhailybayeva: Zhenya is very mean

Finding Points@Ayfer: Evgeniya is angry, because she did not win like she didn't won on Olympics games

See/listen for yourselves!

Last edited:

mtnskater

I really enjoyed the Russian super spreader event 😘 I can’t help but worry about whether there will be a bunch more skaters, fans and coaches that get sick. Seeing Mishin and Moskvina without masks particularly worried me. Perhaps they are already vaccinated. I hope so. It breaks my heart how many of the top skaters have been seriously affected by CoVid....like Kostornaia, Aliev, Scherbakova, Medvedeva, Tukt.... Also I may be in the minority but I could have done without Ted’s commentary. He is fine for juniors, but I never learn anything from him. To me he really doesn’t have anything of substance to say. I just found it irritating especially when he was talking over the Russians. Also bugs me that he so rarely even sees or calls the quarters and under rotations

in the dance I really enjoyed Stepanova/Bukin. Beautiful programs. But to me they didn’t look as trained as I’ve seen them in the past and was surprised at their high technical score. I would have thought Zagorski/Guerreiro would score closer. The others were all enjoyable and will be fun to watch them develop as teams, but none really stood out from the other for me.

In pairs Tarasova/Morozov were the class of the field for me. I just love their classical skating style. So refined. Though admittedly I thought their free program was dull. For the Olympics they should skate to classical music for both programs. Mishina/Galiamov really impressed with such a solid performance. The sbs jumps were fabulous. Boikova/Kozlovski Just don’t do it for me. Both of them have posture that bothers me and lack of refinement though Moskvina is great at choreographing them. Pavliuchenko/Khodykin also don’t do it for me. He always looks out of shape to me and the size difference is too much.

in the men’s Mark Kondratyuk was a huge surprise . Good for him! maybe we’ll see him at Worlds...he deserves it. Mikhail Kolyada is one of my favorite skaters. Lovely style and quality. Too bad that beautiful free program had a couple of hiccups. When Makar Ignatov hits the quads and triple axels they are textbook! But the rest of his skating reminds me of Ryan Bradley..skating skills not so great and runs out of gas. I hope Dmitri Aliev can get back to form because he is a lovely all around skater.

Kamila Valieva was just mind blowing in the short. I don’t care for that free program on her but I see her as the favorite for the OGM if she doesn’t grow too much this next year. Anna Shcherbakova has some wonky technique but has such an ethereal quality that really draws me in. I think she will be world champion this year. I just love Alexandra Trusova and her determination. She is definitely dealing with growth and puberty even though she is still tiny. I really want her to have a clean outing at worlds! The Russian lady skater I root for the most is Elizaveta Tuktamysheva. I just love her attitude, wit and moxy and that she keeps at it in a world of teenagers and holds her own. The second triple axel in the jump contest was butter! I hope we see her at worlds and she continues to recover. I was surprised at the number of under rotations in the ladies free skate.

Overall I love team events and remember when the U.S. used to have many of them..both amateur and pro. I wish North America could bring them back, but skating is not so popular here these days.

One final note, I’m not a fan of the constant picture in a picture of the coaches or teammates and their reactions during the actual skating. It got really old watching the coaches looking up at the monitors to see if they are on camera. Eteri does that constantly. Just show me the skating! Glad the U.S. hasn’t caught onto this yet 😛

Last edited:

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Great and fun event!! I always wish I could understand Russian - I feel I miss so much. One final thought - the camera clearly loves Alina Zagitova. What a natural beauty.
i have some connections to Russia and would love to learn some basics in the language before I go. I might follow up on that. Alina certainly is a natural beauty. I must say I was surprised by the number of red heads/strawberry blond skaters too. (natural ones that is ;) )

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
Medvedeva, excuse my french, bitched and bitched, 3-4 questions in a row, "how unfair the draws were" and how she got a weaker team, because of girls. She used a lot of "indirect phrases" but basically it came down to "we were not treated fairly". On top of that she had a "sour puss" face and many posters (on the right of the video screen) kept saying, in one form or the other: "Zhenya you got to learn how to lose gracefully". Some said "she could never lose gracefully, remember the Olympics". One poster said in English, that Medvedeva is mean.
Many people here are saying they are absolutely shocked and surprised by your press conference reporting. 😱😱😱

hanca

Values her privacy
Many people here are saying they are absolutely shocked and surprised by your press conference reporting. 😱😱😱
What’s there to be shocked about? Some posters are not known for their unbiased reporting of Russian events. Tinami has not been hiding her dislike for ‘the traitor’ Evgenia. :watch: In fact, if Tinami was the gatekeeper at Tutberidze’s rink, Evgenia would be kicked out before she had time to approach Tutberidze to ask her to be her coach again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information