Cap on Repeat Programs?

JJS5056

What does everyone think about a cap that allows for programs to be used only twice (defined as 2 or more complete ISU competitions with prize money within a season)? The LP is already limited by so many restrictions and requirements that adding another doesn't seem like an issue to me. But, you have to imagine that a skater with rehashed choreography is at an advantage and this IJS is supposed to be as objective and quantifiable as possible, no?

My preference is actually to allow only 1 repeat program over the course of an ISU career (or, maybe 1 each, but they would need to be done in different seasons). I just don't see how it is equitable to not impose some sort of challenge upon skaters who keep programs with how much PCS can impact results. I also do not think it's appropriate to think about whether a program is new or not when evaluating PCS. There are valid reasons for a rehash - cost, injury, improvements, etc. - but all skaters face them and having 1 or 2 opportunities to keep programs seems more than fair.

MsZem

I see the sea
Programs take time to perfect, and high quality choreography is expensive. Changing programs even once per season is cost-prohibitive for many skaters. The current situation might be advantageous to skaters who repeat programs, but that option is open to everyone (except ice dancers with the SDs). Your suggestion would disadvantage low income skaters and those from non-skating countries - they very people who already face more barriers in order to succeed in the sport. So I think it's a terrible idea, and hope that the ISU won't ever consider such a rule.

antmanb

Absolutely not, the ISU can meddle with the scoring system as much as it likes, dictating to the skaters about the programmes they are allowed to do would be disgraceful.

It didn't work when they tried to make the skaters do two different LPs at the GPF, and trying to police this would be a waste of resource, a pointless exercise, and what would the sanction be if a skater repeated the programme anyway? What if a skater was injured part way through a season?

Just no in every possible way.

mag

I agree with posters that any restrictions would be unfair especially since they would be restrictions on music only. Lots of skaters have ā€œnewā€ programs every year but it is really just new music. The choreography and theme remains essentially the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information