#Canada150 (Canadian politics and related issues)

skatingguy

I've never been a member of a political party, but is voting for party leadership generally different than any other kind of election? My local MP set up in front of a gun store (because of course he did :rolleyes: ) with an amazon box with a hole hacked in the top with a sign on it saying Pierre Pollievre for Prime Minister, collecting ballots. Seemed weird to me, but maybe that's normal?
That seems more like a publicity stunt then actual voting for the leadership since all the ballots were mailed to the members, and they have to be mailed back. The only difference in voting from what we are used to in general elections is that the Conservative leadership ballot is a ranked ballot.

manhn

Even if you are a member, don’t you have to be at the actual convention to vote? Or can you vote, uhm, remotely?

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Even if you are a member, don’t you have to be at the actual convention to vote? Or can you vote, uhm, remotely?

In the last party leadership election I could have voted in, there were mail-in ballots. I think you could also vote online or by phone - one of those "push 1 to vote for Joe, push 2 to vote for Jennifer" setups.

The only reason I know there were mail-in ballots is that I got one in the mail even though my party membership had expired two years ago :rolleyes:

Last edited:

fsfann

Well. I still haven't sent my ballot in.. But I've decided to support Pierre Poilievre. Have been back and forth between him and Charest from the beginning.. Originally on the Charest wagon, and whenever I'd come around to going for PP, Jenni Byrne would say something to piss me off... I need to plug my nose and move forward.. ;-)

Desperado

Well. I still haven't sent my ballot in.. But I've decided to support Pierre Poilievre. Have been back and forth between him and Charest from the beginning.. Originally on the Charest wagon, and whenever I'd come around to going for PP, Jenni Byrne would say something to piss me off... I need to plug my nose and move forward.. ;-)
What do you think PP can provide you, that Charest cannot?

fsfann

What do you think PP can provide you, that Charest cannot?
Some excitement. I hate Trudeau. Can't wait to see PP vs. Trudeau in debates. PP is attracting new people to the party who are fed up wtih the way the Trudeau Government has been behaving... I still wish Rona Ambrose would have run...she would have been the perfect candidate IMO... But Charest is recycled and yesterday's man... Just can't get behind him, as much as I wanted to vote for the "moderate" alternate.

Desperado

Thanks for responding @fsfann.

I think Charest has a much better chance of being PM than PP, but maybe I’m over estimating the voting public. I would’ve seriously considered a vote between JC and JT, but PP if he is elected, will ruin people’s lives by not taking his job seriously (everything will be about him and his power) and bring more hatred into this country in a way that will harm us forever.

There’s a reason why more moderate candidates didn’t throw their hat in. Blinded by their hatred of Trudeau, the CPC sold its soul to white supremacist violent groups and actors.

But as long as you’re entertained…

I also don’t think JT will run in the next election. We shall see.

fsfann

Thanks for responding @fsfann.

I think Charest has a much better chance of being PM than PP, but maybe I’m over estimating the voting public. I would’ve seriously considered a vote between JC and JT, but PP if he is elected, will ruin people’s lives by not taking his job seriously (everything will be about him and his power) and bring more hatred into this country in a way that will harm us forever.

There’s a reason why more moderate candidates didn’t throw their hat in. Blinded by their hatred of Trudeau, the CPC sold its soul to white supremacist violent groups and actors.

But as long as you’re entertained…

I also don’t think JT will run in the next election. We shall see.

I think if "blue" Liberal voters... you know, the ones who would have supported Chretien and Martin voted for Trudeau in the last election, that tells you that they will always vote Liberal regardless of what's happening. His treatment of various women in his cabinet, the WE Scandal - among many others -, his hatred of small business owners (like myself), the fishing industry here on the east coast etc...the list goes on... If people could continue to support his government when they had a decent alternative in Erin O'Toole, who came from the "Progressive Conservative" part of the party (also like myself), then I'm convinced that regardless of who leads the Conservative party, most of those Liberal voters will continue to vote Liberal. I have spoken to a number of fellow Conservatives who aren't thrilled about PP being leader, but it has surprised me how many "non voters" that I know...people who rarely actually vote, say that they will come out to support a Poilievre led party. Had the more moderate CPC insiders found someone other than Charest to run, who was younger and had less baggage, I likely would have gone that route... I just find that his lack of social media presence, lack of energy etc speaks volumes.. I went to one of his events during a tour in the Maritimes and his speech almost put me to sleep. This was when I was planning to support him. Some of the crap that PP and his crew are spewing really pisses me off, but at the end of the day, he is taking advantage of a LOT of people who feel that Trudeau and his crew are completely out of touch with Canadians. I'm tired of him - and Freeland's - "talking down" to us. They act like they are god's gift to earth. She drives me crazy as well...maybe not quite as bad as Trudeau, but pretty darn close. I'm tired of the Liberal party refusing to stand up to Trudeau's behaviours when it came to JWR and Jane Philpott who were probably two of his top 5 cabinet ministers... The sense of entitlement that oozes from him and his crew disgusts me. This has been a long campaign...one that I've spent a lot of time reflecting on as I have held onto my ballot until the very last minute to send in. (Not even sure if it will make it by the Tuesday deadline lol)... But in this time, I've gotten the sense that the path to victory for the CPC will actually be from those apathetic voters who haven't bothered in the past to vote...it isn't from the moderate Liberals who we (the PC side of the CPC) were hoping would cross over to support the CPC.. Once PP wins, his job will be to pivot and start speaking and behaving like a Prime Minister. He needs to stop the 'barking' all the time and I'm hopeful that his handlers will allow him and encourage him to pivot to be more Prime Ministerial. Anyway - my two cents.. :)

Desperado

I’ve never been a Trudeau fan, I keep waiting for a viable NDP option and I’m sadly still waiting. I very much like Nate Erskine-Smith, but he’s leaning towards the Ontario Liberals leadership more than the federal.

Knowing a bit of the machinerie of government, I will say however that JWR demonstrated cluelessness/naïveté/arrogance in dealing with her job and internal politics. Recording the Clerk of PCO would never be forgiven. I also think she was in over her head at Justice (her huge memos explaining her delayed decisions, her letting some pour sod wait 18 months for a new trial that was sure to exonerate him, etc.) She was only named there because JT thought it would look good but she thought (and still thinks) she was aces.

Philpott I respect a lot, but you don’t keep your Cabinet job by siding with your friend over the PM. Naïveté there too.

I’ve encountered enough MPs to know that most think because they are successful in their professional lives, they will be successful in Parliament. It’s a whole different dysfunctional beast that after many years working on and around it, I couldn’t come close to mastering. Which is fine, because I’m just watching as a spectator now.

fsfann

I’ve never been a Trudeau fan, I keep waiting for a viable NDP option and I’m sadly still waiting. I very much like Nate Erskine-Smith, but he’s leaning towards the Ontario Liberals leadership more than the federal.

Knowing a bit of the machinerie of government, I will say however that JWR demonstrated cluelessness/naïveté/arrogance in dealing with her job and internal politics. Recording the Clerk of PCO would never be forgiven. I also think she was in over her head at Justice (her huge memos explaining her delayed decisions, her letting some pour sod wait 18 months for a new trial that was sure to exonerate him, etc.) She was only named there because JT thought it would look good but she thought (and still thinks) she was aces.

Philpott I respect a lot, but you don’t keep your Cabinet job by siding with your friend over the PM. Naïveté there too.

I’ve encountered enough MPs to know that most think because they are successful in their professional lives, they will be successful in Parliament. It’s a whole different dysfunctional beast that after many years working on and around it, I couldn’t come close to mastering. Which is fine, because I’m just watching as a spectator now.
Definitely some naivete for sure, but I completely understood why she recorded him, since she saw the writing on the wall with how this was all going to go down... And she was correct. She was also being asked to do something that fundamentally was wrong, and I respect her for holding her ground on that front.

I often wonder what the Liberal MPs would have said if Stephen Harper had made the same request of his AG/Justice Minister.... we all know the answer to that...

Anyway, interesting times, that's for sure!

I'm more excited for the time that Raquel Dancho tosses her name in to lead the party....give it 7 or 8 years and she'll be the next leader...

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I’ve encountered enough MPs to know that most think because they are successful in their professional lives, they will be successful in Parliament. It’s a whole different dysfunctional beast

Totally agree with this. There's nothing wrong with expecting Parliament to run efficiently and to use resources sensibly, but it's not a business and it's never going to run like one.

IMO what also throws people sideways is realizing the extent to which French/English bilingualism is entrenched in the federal system, and how some participants in that system get ahead because they're bilingual and they're good at internal politicking, not necessarily because they're qualified. NOTE: I am not saying that bilingualism is a bad thing, I'm fully in favour of it, but it gets way more weight in the federal govt and its associated agencies than is seen from the outside.

Last edited:

fsfann

Totally agree with this. There's nothing wrong with expecting it to run efficiently and to use resources sensibly, but it's not a business and it's never going to run like one.

IMO what also throws people sideways is realizing the extent to which French/English bilingualism is entrenched in the federal system, and how some participants in that system get ahead because they're bilingual and they're good at internal politicking, not necessarily because they're qualified. NOTE: I am not saying that bilingualism is a bad thing, I'm fully in favour of it, but it gets way more weight in the federal govt and its associated agencies than is seen from the outside.
It certainly gets in the way of getting strong leaders, since being bilingual is essentially mandatory to become PM. Personally, I think that's unfortunate...

Desperado

Bilingualism has been required for customer service and some managerial positions since the 80s, to offer the Canadian population the the right to be served or work in the official language of their choice. It’s a position requirement just like a specialized bachelor degree would be.

But don’t worry, networking will get you any management job you want in the PS, including years of training paid for by the taxpayers, if you fit the profile the establishment wants. Of course, we’re talking French courses here because there is no way for unilingual French people to get to these top positions.

Executive appointments were studied recently by an academic and English speaking bilingual individuals were substantially more likely to get promoted to the highest PS echelons than bilingual French speakers. In case that was something that worries you.

And although the federal PS is quite diverse in the lower echelons, just like in the corporate sector, like promotes like, with a few diversity highers to make it look good. That is a huge problem, outside of official languages.

Also interesting is the conversation of where indigenous languages fit into bilingualism in the PS, for example if Inuktitut and English, are enough. But that discussion is far from being actioned.

If Jagmeet Singh, Stephen Harper, Erin O’Toole and the late Michael Ferguson (who learned after being appointed Auditor General) can do it, others can too.

If you’re a politician with big federal aspirations and you don’t learn French, you are terrible at planning and/or have contempt for the French factor. You are however absolutely welcome to be an MP or a unilingual Premier in any province or territory.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@Desperado I don't have any worries about whether bilingual native-French speakers or bilingual native-English speakers get ahead more quickly. However IME the patterns aren't consistent across departments. In the agencies I interacted with, bilingual native-French speakers were favoured and were regularly promoted or given prestigious assignments more often than bilingual native-English speakers.

And geez, I would certainly not cite Stephen Harper as a good example of someone who became proficiently bilingual in order to become PM. Able to read French text aloud without embarrassing himself too badly, maybe, but that's about it.

Sylvia

Rooting for underdogs!
:(
Saskatchewan RCMP say 10 dead, 15 hospitalized after stabbings, suspects still at large (Sept. 4):
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sask...p-dangerous-persons-alert-stabbings-1.6572464
Melfort RCMP have issued a provincewide dangerous persons alert after multiple people were stabbed in the James Smith Cree Nation and Weldon, Sask.
RCMP said in a press conference at 3:40 CT that they found 10 people deceased and at least 15 people have been hospitalized. RCMP said they found 13 incident locations in James Smith Cree Nation and Weldon.
"There maybe additional injured victims who transported themselves to various hospitals," Rhonda Blackmore, commanding officer of the Saskatchewan RCMP, said.
"We are currently actively looking for it, dedicating maximum resources to this."

Judy

@Desperado I don't have any worries about whether bilingual native-French speakers or bilingual native-English speakers get ahead more quickly. However IME the patterns aren't consistent across departments. In the agencies I interacted with, bilingual native-French speakers were favoured and were regularly promoted or given prestigious assignments more often than bilingual native-English speakers.

And geez, I would certainly not cite Stephen Harper as a good example of someone who became proficiently bilingual in order to become PM. Able to read French text aloud without embarrassing himself too badly, maybe, but that's about it.
That’s all you need to cater to Quebec.

rvi5

Myles Sanderson has died. Shortly after being taken into custody at the end of a high speed chase in a stolen vehicle, he went into medical distress. He was pronounced dead at the hospital.

UMBS Go Blue

Слава Україні!
Catching up on some news from up north:

Danielle Smith wins Alberta UCP leadership race

Chrystia Freeland

Pierre Poilevre

skategal

Bunny mama
Catching up on some news from up north:

Danielle Smith wins Alberta UCP leadership race

Chrystia Freeland

Pierre Poilevre

Did you watch the footage of Trudeau calling out Polievre in the House of Commons?

When watching it, look at Andrew Scheer’s face. He’s barely containing his glee.

He must really hate Pierre. :lol:

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Big controversy over the provincial government passing laws to ban education workers from striking. Unions and individuals could face heavy fines for protesting.

Ford has a lot going wrong right now - if only it would actually get him and the stupid sycophant Lecce to eff off and stop abusing our Charter.

Ford is also refusing to testify in the inquiry on Trudeau using the Emergencies Act for the Free-Dumb Convoy. Trudeau stepped in because the police would not, and Ford hid out avoiding getting involved. There's recordings out there if organizers speaking to Ford directly, getting support, etc. And now Drug Ford suggests it would cause "irreparable harm" if he has to speak.

Ontarians were dumb enough to stay home and let this horrifying pig win. At this point, anyone still supporting him is a complete write off, lacking basic decency. Good god.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information