#Canada150 (Canadian politics and related issues)

WildRose

So, likely very well handled by the party. But it still begs so many questions - did they do all this because they believe it's true, or because some of them saw a chance to get rid of him while feeling they still had time to pick up the pieces, or because it was the right thing to do - and if the latter, do they really think it was the right thing to do, or is it just the thing to do in today's climate?
They did it because they had absolutely no choice. Enough people will assume he was guilty that it doesn’t even matter if he was or not - he’s unelectable.

skatingguy

Golden Team
CBC Montreal‏Verified account @CBCMontreal 7h7 hours ago
One year ago today, a gunman walked into a Quebec City mosque, killing six men and devastating a community. See how they've been dealing with the tragedy. #RememberJan29
https://twitter.com/CBCMontreal/status/958065840464826368

In the piece it is the story of Aymen Derbali that has left me devastated. He was injured in the shooting and his recovery has been slow and difficult. I feel like this is a story we don't hear very often. Most of the stories around these shootings, understandably, revolve around the people who died and how their's families are coping, but I feel like we rarely see how the people who were injured have had their's lives affected.

rvi5

Now that bill C-210 has passed, the COC is asking athletes to sing the revised version of the anthem. That had me thinking, the Canadian athletes may now be scrutinized by media, trying to catch any of them singing the old version (by mistake or otherwise). You normally can’t clearly hear them singing on the podium, but I wonder if that will be different now? Should they be taking singing lessons? ;)

Jot the Dot Dot

Headstrong Buzzard
Now that bill C-210 has passed, the COC is asking athletes to sing the revised version of the anthem. That had me thinking, the Canadian athletes may now be scrutinized by media, trying to catch any of them singing the old version (by mistake or otherwise). You normally can’t clearly hear them singing on the podium, but I wonder if that will be different now? Should they be taking singing lessons? ;)
Ya mean, we're gonna have to change it to: "And the ones who hold high places/ Must be the ones who start/ To mold a new reality/ Closer to the heart/ Closer to the heart" :confused:

Sincerely, Jerry Denton a/k/a Jot the Dot Dot, certified Rush fan. Or, just certified ! :EVILLE:

WildRose

Justin Trudeau getting some cold shoulders in India. It was always going to be a tough task for the PM with known Khalistani sympathiser in his cabinet. On top of that, the Canadian High Commissioner to India invited a convicted terrorist to a dinner with the Trudeaus.
https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/wil...istani-terrorist-1815891?pfrom=home-topscroll
The India trip was a complete disaster. And what was with the the ornate Indian outfits Trudeau and his wife were wearing? Indian people don’t dress like that except at formal weddings. I know our PM is all about the photo ops but he looked ridiculous. Even the Toronto Star thought so. When Trudeau loses the Star it must have been really bad:

Trudeau with his Indian Culture overkill come across as patronizing:
https://www.thestar.com/opinion/sta...ture-overkill-came-across-as-patronizing.html

Star Editorial
https://www.thestar.com/opinion/edi...bad-trip-to-india-may-carry-a-steep-cost.html

fsfann

Yep. no issue with him wearing one outfit for the occasion, but it seemed a bit much. A one week tax payer funded trip for him and his family, which included a one half/day business meeting. The rest was photo ops for PM Selfie. It's really getting tiring.

WildRose

Yep. no issue with him wearing one outfit for the occasion, but it seemed a bit much. A one week tax payer funded trip for him and his family, which included a one half/day business meeting. The rest was photo ops for PM Selfie. It's really getting tiring.
Liberals keep changing their story about who was to blame for the convicted terrorist’s invitations. This should definitely not have happened and it should be investigated.

skatingguy

Golden Team
Liberals keep changing their story about who was to blame for the convicted terrorist’s invitations. This should definitely not have happened and it should be investigated.
There's something there but it's hard to know what and how much. The gentleman in question was on a banned list in India, and for some reason was recently removed and so allowed to get a visa to travel to India in the first place.

skategal

Bunny mama
Someone higher up in the PM's staff must have cut corners somewhere.

One would think that at a minimum all those names of invitees who would have access to the PM would have been run through a CSIS database. That is all they would have needed to do. :wall: :confused:

Yes it was a mistake that he got on the list in the first place, but there's more to it than that.

D

Deleted member 40371

There's something there but it's hard to know what and how much. The gentleman in question was on a banned list in India, and for some reason was recently removed and so allowed to get a visa to travel to India in the first place.
It is not India's fault, but there is too much pandering to the Khalistani in this Trudeau government. The govt was not much liked by Indian govt and opposition alike, got what it deserves after inviting the convicted terrorist.

skatingguy

Golden Team
It is not India's fault, but there is too much pandering to the Khalistani in this Trudeau government. The govt was not much liked by Indian govt and opposition alike, got what it deserves after inviting the convicted terrorist.
Oh certainly. Just want to mention that though this terrorist has Liberal ties, there have been others in the past with Conservative ties. It seems that Canadian politicians have been willing to overlook people with ties to Khalistani terrorism and separatist movements in order to get votes in that community.

Jenny

From the Bloc
The next three months are going to be a wild ride in Ontario. Any early predictions?

WildRose

manhn

Anyone who applied for a Loblaw gift card get an email, asking to forward them a photo of your driver's license or utilities bill? Just for a 25 dollar coupon? Ridiculous.

Speaking of gong shows.....having ruined Canada’s relationship with India, our Federal Govt is now working on doing the same with Belgium. This is embarrassing:

Trudeau skips meeting Belgian Royalty:
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...ting-belgian-royalty-business-delegation.html

Belgian Royalty welcomed with German flag:
https://www.afp.com/en/news/826/belgian-royals-greeted-canada-german-flag-doc-12e8lu1

The flag thing is embarrassing, though it sounds like it was fixed before the Belgians arrived, so no harm done other than someone in the governor general's office having a bad day they probably wish they could take back. Not meeting Belgian royalty just sounds like Trudeau has other engagements. I don't think that's a big deal, though I suppose you can make an argument that that should be more important. Politically, I'd probably be more concerned with the steel/aluminum industry too, ymmv of course. Because you seem to be kinda stressed about it, I can reassure you that Canada would have to do much more to ruin their relationship with Belgium. Belgians love Canadians. Like to the point I've felt some Belgians may be more patriotic about Canada than many Canadians :lol: Fun fact, I've actually been to an event with Raoul Delcorde :)

skategal

Bunny mama
I can reassure you that Canada would have to do much more to ruin their relationship with Belgium. Belgians love Canadians. Like to the point I've felt some Belgians may be more patriotic about Canada than many Canadians :lol:

Yes, I was going to say the same thing. :40beers:

Plus, I'm reminded of how distraught the Belgians were when the farmers from Flanders region were holding up CETA.

Twilight1

Vertical strips vs horizontal stripes... average joe probably wouldn't know the difference between the 2 flags... except they truly are different. :shuffle:

Ontario elections are going to be a gong show. Pick the best of the worst?

WildRose

Because you seem to be kinda stressed about it, I can reassure you that Canada would have to do much more to ruin their relationship with Belgium. Belgians love Canadians. Like to the point I've felt some Belgians may be more patriotic about Canada than many Canadians :lol: Fun fact, I've actually been to an event with Raoul Delcorde :)
I’m not stressed about it, I just think it’s rather laughable how inept this crew is. And I don’t need your condescending little lecture on Belgium thank you. I grew up hearing stories about how wonderful the people of Belgium were, my father was one of the Canadian soldiers who liberated Belgium during the Second World War.

m well aware that

Jenny

From the Bloc
Meh. The last time we had a federal election, Trudeau started the race in a distant 3rd place, and we all know what happened.

Plus, a lot might depend on what happens in Ontario (more than 1/3 of Canada's population) in the coming months.

skategal

Bunny mama
And let's not forget the young voters who will turn 18 before the next election.

Trudeau is strong with youth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information